Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

After the End has updated to version 0.6 and CK2 patch 2.4.2. :toot: Mediafire download here, Github download here, no Steam Workshop, that's for chumps.

West Coast is in!

Oh gently caress, the Rouge Valley is it's own independent nation? :hellyeah:

I'm probably the only person pumped about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love After the End because I can take my hometown and make it the seat of a powerful empire.

Now I know how Europeans feel when they play CK2!

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I'd heard someone is or was working on a European version of After the End, did that ever go anywhere?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Personally, I'm wary of anybody going for some sort of AtEurope thing. It'd be too easy for someone, in a moment of bad judgement, to try for some dumb Eurabia thing, or try to make a 'Communism' or 'Atheist' religion and just screw it up entirely.

Anytime anybody's loudly proclaimed that they're totally gonna do a postapocalyptic Europe, guys!, I've settled for just going "that's nice" and then just stand back.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's like when people ask for a Fallout set in Europe; like, the gently caress are you gonna do with that? Have some fuckin' bigass Basque anarchist commune in Navarre that use robots? Greece regressing into the Peloponnese Wars or some poo poo?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The few fragments I could think of that could be used for something neat involve Malevil, some sort of Kingdom of Bizonia (or Trizonesia), and then like a big ooga-booga Sovik Empire with tributaries like Ostland and Polonium or something, I don't know, I steer clear of that stuff for good reason.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
I remember hearing that there were some issues with merchant republics in AtE, Ofaloaf, did you guys ever get that worked out?
Either way, though, glad to see another full-fledged version coming out.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

After the End has updated to version 0.6 and CK2 patch 2.4.2. :toot: Mediafire download here, Github download here, no Steam Workshop, that's for chumps.

West Coast is in!

Also we're trying out that Novus Graphicus borders mod now.

Wowee zowee :aaa:. I remember when this mod only had the East Coast. I think it might be time for me to try the mod again.

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.
How do you guys deal with stressed characters? Specifically Muslim ones. I know the hunting focus with the dog event is usually an easy way to get rid of it but I don't like using it until im in my 40's with the character. I also know that carousing has some stress removal events but its hard to do since my character is neither decadent nor Hedonist.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pakled posted:

I love After the End because I can take my hometown and make it the seat of a powerful empire.

Now I know how Europeans feel when they play CK2!

I can't! :argh:

This is why I want an invasion of Palinites from the North.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Tinkle posted:

How do you guys deal with stressed characters? Specifically Muslim ones. I know the hunting focus with the dog event is usually an easy way to get rid of it but I don't like using it until im in my 40's with the character. I also know that carousing has some stress removal events but its hard to do since my character is neither decadent nor Hedonist.

Content wives. Technically any content courtier has a chance of getting rid of your stress but as a Muslim wives are probably the best way to collect content people.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Tehan posted:

Did you hand that territory off to vassal clans? Is it possible they torched the temples?

No. any combination of me owning them, my vassals owning them, none of it actually counts the temples that are visibly standing there, I even destroyed one and rebuilt it, still does not count.
Additionally I've gotten around vassal clans pillaging temples I built by giving them to the high priest of tengri; he's a theocracy, not nomadic, and thus can't (and probably wouldn't) destroy the temples.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The California foothills clearly need to be their own independent counties and furthermore

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tehan posted:

Content wives. Technically any content courtier has a chance of getting rid of your stress but as a Muslim wives are probably the best way to collect content people.

Having lots of friends also helps. Family focus can get you friends among your relatives. Carousing gets you a lot of friends in general but has a bunch of restrictions on when Muslims are allowed to take it (basically need to be decadent and unless you're deliberately trying to screw up your empire I imagine you probably aren't).

Ofaloaf posted:

Personally, I'm wary of anybody going for some sort of AtEurope thing. It'd be too easy for someone, in a moment of bad judgement, to try for some dumb Eurabia thing, or try to make a 'Communism' or 'Atheist' religion and just screw it up entirely.

Anytime anybody's loudly proclaimed that they're totally gonna do a postapocalyptic Europe, guys!, I've settled for just going "that's nice" and then just stand back.

I'm assuming anything east of Poland would basically just be STALKER.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I haven't played After the End in a long time and I'm really impressed by how much depth it has, all the new events and such. I just got a visit from some European traders and allowed them to set up shop in my realm and I've gotten a couple events relating to that since then, I can't wait to see how far this goes.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

It's like when people ask for a Fallout set in Europe; like, the gently caress are you gonna do with that? Have some fuckin' bigass Basque anarchist commune in Navarre that use robots? Greece regressing into the Peloponnese Wars or some poo poo?

I have considered this actually, and have realized that there's a lot of potential there actually. But here's the problem, where in Europe should it be? It's impossible to choose a single location that would represent Europe as a whole in the 50s style, because that's what it will be for the first one no matter how you spin it. Plus, most of Europe after WWII was in ruins... You're also on foot in these games. You'd be stuck with just one major place in a region with plenty of equally good ones. A train just isn't going to happen unless society is somehow rebuilding once more...

There should totally be a Swiss Empire though, lurking deep beneath the Alps they have risen untouched by the ravages of nuclear weapons, and ready to bring peace and stability to the world! Or else... :black101:

Though with CKII, it's just a matter of will and drive and dealing with people bickering about who would survive the best in the Balkans.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I wish steam workshop would let the developer set custom limits for each game like max download size.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I wish steam workshop would let the developer set custom limits for each game like max download size.

They do. For some reason EU4's size limit is like three or four times CK2's (or at least there are some huge mods on the EU4 workshop, I have one that's 160MB or so). What I wish is that it was clear what the size limits WERE.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Dallan Invictus posted:

They do. For some reason EU4's size limit is like three or four times CK2's (or at least there are some huge mods on the EU4 workshop, I have one that's 160MB or so). What I wish is that it was clear what the size limits WERE.

Well that just sees fuckin dumb by paradox then.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Dallan Invictus posted:

They do. For some reason EU4's size limit is like three or four times CK2's (or at least there are some huge mods on the EU4 workshop, I have one that's 160MB or so).

M&B has mods that are over 1GB in size on the workshop, so I'm not sure there's even a limit on that limit.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i know how much landing a decadent relative will decrease the decadence gain?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Well I managed to go from count to forming the HRE in one (long) lifetime. Now I can die happy.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone have any tips on how to play a landlocked norse germanic tribal surrounded by other norse germanic tribals? I really want to play the count of Värmland at the 867 start due to the dynasty name but I have no idea what to do.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

TjyvTompa posted:

Does anyone have any tips on how to play a landlocked norse germanic tribal surrounded by other norse germanic tribals? I really want to play the count of Värmland at the 867 start due to the dynasty name but I have no idea what to do.

Subjugate a local coastal county, use your new seafaring nature to gently caress poo poo up like a good viking.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Masonity posted:

Subjugate a local coastal county, use your new seafaring nature to gently caress poo poo up like a good viking.

I had an amazing start, got some event that gave me 50 gold and 50 prestige, sired a son, had my marshal get the +levy event, built a hill fort. Raised a massive 503 troops and conquered Medelpad. Got greedy and started another war for Ångermanland right after, got declared on by the 2 county duchy to my south. My by now 620 men were no match for his 804. Game over.

Now I know how to get going but I have a feeling this will be much harder than for example 'The Caliphate Strikes Back' cheevo or 'The One Who Brings Benefit'.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So not to belabor the point, but it's 950CE in a game that started at the Charlemagne start, and playing pretty conservatively I own Europe up to Saxony and the entire Arab world up to Egypt as a Nomad.

I think if I had been more aggressive I could have completed a world conquest in a century or so, which says to me that Nomads are pretty broken at the moment.

Part of the issue I think is how gods drat strong horse archers get when you build their buildings. Against regular levies with infantry, I feel comfortable fighting stacks twice the strength of mine, even on unfavorable terrain like mountains.

I am not sure if that's the only issue--being able to build giant hordes with prestige alone might be another--but it is definitely a problem.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ZombieLenin posted:

So not to belabor the point, but it's 950CE in a game that started at the Charlemagne start, and playing pretty conservatively I own Europe up to Saxony and the entire Arab world up to Egypt as a Nomad.

I think if I had been more aggressive I could have completed a world conquest in a century or so, which says to me that Nomads are pretty broken at the moment.

Part of the issue I think is how gods drat strong horse archers get when you build their buildings. Against regular levies with infantry, I feel comfortable fighting stacks twice the strength of mine, even on unfavorable terrain like mountains.

I am not sure if that's the only issue--being able to build giant hordes with prestige alone might be another--but it is definitely a problem.

I agree completely. Their armies are unmatched, money is infinite, prestige too since you can win any war. The only problem I had with my nomad game was the succession. If the AI inherits they will settle as feudal in a second no matter what. Infuriating.
My first game as nomad I lost the first succession, the AI settled, the next AI inherited, settled and then the third inherited and settled and then it was just me left with 4 counties.
My current ruler is 56 years old and depressed, his only son still alive is 40 and has 1,300 prestige, he has no sons. My heir is 62 years old and has no male children, this will probably be the end.

The inheritance is not bad like elective gavelkind, it's just that it seems the AI is hellbent on loving itself over as hard as possible. Seriously, you are unstoppable, what could you possibly gain by settling as feudal?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The biggest worry as a count in Scandinavia is the game immediately kicks off with an all-out brawl as everyone tries to eat anyone smaller than them using subjugation CBs, since half of them take the become king ambition and the other half have one freebie anyway. So you need protection. Svitjod is the most likely candidate since you start next to them, Sjaelland is a decent candidate too since they sometimes gobble up big chunks of Sweden, and Ostlandet is the outside bet.

This comes with a later problem since you become stuck under a duke-equivalent who is unlikely to have enough money to buy a king-level title even if they acquire enough land, but that's a lot easier to deal with than a game over in the first decade. Get to the coast, acquire boats, then Always Be Raiding until you've got enough of a warchest to get a decent capital, which is absolutely vital for a tribal because a) empty holdings give you a troop modifier and b) gavelkind and untimely deaths mean you can only really rely on having your capital. So you'll want to go for a six-holding province with a temple or a five-holding province without. Gotland starts independent, but it's amazingly defensible so you probably won't be able to beeline straight for it. If you swear fealty to Svitjod, you could start an internal war with Svitjod's other vassal counts for Sudermanland or Austergautland. Or if you do the same with Sjaelland, you could go for Skane. Or if you're feeling ambitious, you could try to get Vestfold from Ostlandet, Uppland from Svitjod or Sjaelland from Sjaelland.

Once you've got that capital, go back to raiding while you get the gold and prestige to upgrade it a bunch until you've got enough troops to be an independent power. At that point the world'll be your oyster.

E:

TjyvTompa posted:

Seriously, you are unstoppable, what could you possibly gain by settling as feudal?

Maybe they're sick of smelling like horses and living in a yurt.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 27, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

TjyvTompa posted:

I agree completely. Their armies are unmatched, money is infinite, prestige too since you can win any war. The only problem I had with my nomad game was the succession. If the AI inherits they will settle as feudal in a second no matter what. Infuriating.
My first game as nomad I lost the first succession, the AI settled, the next AI inherited, settled and then the third inherited and settled and then it was just me left with 4 counties.
My current ruler is 56 years old and depressed, his only son still alive is 40 and has 1,300 prestige, he has no sons. My heir is 62 years old and has no male children, this will probably be the end.

The inheritance is not bad like elective gavelkind, it's just that it seems the AI is hellbent on loving itself over as hard as possible. Seriously, you are unstoppable, what could you possibly gain by settling as feudal?

you can make a fair argument that traditionally the two things that kept steppe nomads from world conquest was succession crises and settling down.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

you can make a fair argument that traditionally the two things that kept steppe nomads from world conquest was succession crises and settling down.

Nomad succession is unnerving. You constantly need to be worrying about whether you've got enough brothers and/or sons to not be on the brink of game over.

(I almost said nomad succession is unsettling :rimshot:)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Started off a new game of After the End with the new patch, playing as the Celestial Empire of California.

Managed to make The Valley and Gran Francisco my tributary, along with claiming Marin and San Fran for myself after a Haida adventurer conquered it but over-extended himself trying to take on the entirety of Jefferson allowing me to successfully wage a holy war.

Making mad money currently, and then looking to expand my realm up enough to reassert imperial power.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Not entirely true. There were just certain areas that simply could not be conquered by a nomadic horde. Southern China for instance; wasn't conquered until Khubilai Khan created a Chinese-style army and navy, because in the mountains and marshlike lowlands of S. China, mounted archers were pretty useless. Likewise, in the deep forests of Europe, their effectiveness was limited, which is why the Golden Horde stopped where it did, and settled for just making its neighbours into tributaries.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

TjyvTompa posted:

That's weird, as when I've had lieges settle, they have taken the feudal stuff and then left me (or the next guy) with all their empty steppe lands.

As for your dilemma. If you're depressed and your heir is younger, but childless, mill yourself. With your heir choose the seduction lifestyle and seduce everyone. I'm fairly sure that even in the cases of hidden infertility traits, the seduction events you get with characters have a base chance of producing a child independent of your fertility.

As soon as you get a boy, because the kids will flow, legitimize him.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Solemn Sloth posted:

Not really. The Mongols caught Central Europe by surprise in 1241; however, they did not have the ability to move their horse armies--at least in great numbers--over the heavily wooded European terrain.

As the invasion of 1285 showed, after the Poles and Hungarians had erected "Western" style fortifications, the Mongols probably did not have the capacity to deal with the stone fortified positions farther West in Europe.

And there were probably 1,500 castles in Western Europe at the time.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Ofaloaf posted:

West Coast is in!

I've always wondered why you or any of the other AtE modders haven't worked on some new portrait clothing to add to the extant ones? There's so much interesting post-apoc material culture you could stuff in there that it'd add quite a bit of depth as long as the world-building goes.

And, of course, it's immersion breaking to see wasteland warlords with medieval crowns and all that.

Merdifex fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 28, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ofaloaf posted:

West Coast is in!

This is good and you are good and so are your friends who help with this mod.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Merdifex posted:

I've always wondered why you or any of the other AtE modders haven't worked on some new portrait clothing to add to the extant ones? There's so much interesting post-apoc material culture you could stuff in there that it'd add quite a bit of depth as long as the world-building goes.

And, of course, it's immersion breaking to see wasteland warlords with medieval crowns and all that.

There is new clothing, though. For instance, cowboy hats and football helmets and Confederate Kepis.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pakled posted:

There is new clothing, though. For instance, cowboy hats and football helmets and Confederate Kepis.

And the Americanist full 18th century outfit complete with powdered wig. And the British with their red coats.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Also because pdox doesn't let you release modded DLC so most of the culture gfx have to stay the way they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Merdifex posted:

It's all rather post-post-apoc, though. Like, it's been centuries since whatever happened happened, that's enough time to move on from stitching tire treads onto pre-war clothing and calling it armor. Stuff like the football helmet-ish helmets and cowboy hats are mostly just to assert "yes, this is America" rather than because the apocalypse happened and everyone just scavenges for everything now and has forgotten how to make things.

Mister Adequate posted:

This is good and you are good and so are your friends who help with this mod.
I barely do any work on it at all these days, tbh. The team's trucking along and doing most of this on their own and I'm mostly just a notional presence. Earlier on I did a fair bit- most of the continental US from the East Coast all the way to Utah's my doing, but our very own fellow-goons Sam (notalbanian) did the Caribbean and Texas (and Nova Scotia?) and Shadeoses did all of Mexico and Central America. Klonself did initial work on California, as well. SteelyGlint and thecookiemaster, two non-Goons, did much of the West Coast and northern Rockies work.

It's the rest of the team that's doing the serious work now, I'm mostly riding their coattails at this point.

• Locked thread