Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

cheetah7071 posted:

Battleping has worked for me but I mostly picked it because wtfast looked like a scam, it's website is (or at least was) shady as gently caress.

Nah, WTFast still does look really shady. That's been my main apprehension, their service could be manna from heaven for all I know but their design makes me unable to shake the idea that I've installed a virus.

Battleping and Pingzapper both look credible by comparison, but then the question becomes "Why is Pingzapper somehow half the price of Battleping?" I have no idea if there's an actual difference that would come from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Just finished the Hildibrand questline. Game of the year for every year. I really hope they do more Hildibrand.

Also I got a green chicken on my first fight.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

For those on PS4 what keyboard do you use and do you like it? Any with a built-in touchpad that work?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Wondering why an Aery run is taking so long when you realize the dragoon is wearing more fending jewlery than you

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Well duh, tanks should run VIT over STR.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.

Whizbang posted:

That is an incredibly dumb thing to do and you should stop.

Mind you, I have stopped, but care to expand on this?

I mean, literally, back in the 5-30 grind if I bothered with all the sidequests, I'd gain a couple levels and items and then the very next set of MSQs would just give me equipment which made everything the side quests just gave me obsolete. I literally have been building a secondary (and part of a teritiary) equipment set each level from all of the redundant rewards at each tier.

I did follow a guide of all the unlockable game features so I didn't miss any mechanics. Many of the sidequests and been fun, funny or interesting- it's not that I dislike them or anything. Just, I want some fun, funny, and interesting to last during my alt grinds too.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Evader posted:

Mind you, I have stopped, but care to expand on this?

I mean, literally, back in the 5-30 grind if I bothered with all the sidequests, I'd gain a couple levels and items and then the very next set of MSQs would just give me equipment which made everything the side quests just gave me obsolete. I literally have been building a secondary (and part of a teritiary) equipment set each level from all of the redundant rewards at each tier.

I did follow a guide of all the unlockable game features so I didn't miss any mechanics. Many of the sidequests and been fun, funny or interesting- it's not that I dislike them or anything. Just, I want some fun, funny, and interesting to last during my alt grinds too.

For your first class, you get a certain amount of XP from side quests, a certain amount from dungeons/guildhests/killing mobs, and then XP from the main story quest.
For subsequent classes that are lower than your highest leveled combat class, the amount you get from dungeons/guildhests/mobs is flat out doubled. The amount of XP you get from side quests, however, is not - it stays the same.

Therefore, "saving" sidequests for secondary classes is actually wasteful, because to make up the XP you're doing extra dungeons/guildhests/killing mobs on your primary class (which won't get the 100% bonus).

Do your sidequests on your primary class, use dungeons/FATEs for leveling on secondary classes because secondary classes will get double XP for those things while your primary will not.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

white mages represent salvation and purity and also giving $5 handjobs behind the mizzenmast, apparently

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Frog Act posted:

white mages represent salvation and purity and also giving $5 handjobs behind the mizzenmast, apparently

I would

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

So I wanted to come back and play this a while ago, have a 50 archer but ahh, should i stick with that or grind out something new and fun? Have a few classes all over the place and i guess i'll pick up the x-pack.... Any suggesting?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Someday I`ll beat Bismark EX. Today is not that day.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:agreed:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dead Like Rev posted:

So I wanted to come back and play this a while ago, have a 50 archer but ahh, should i stick with that or grind out something new and fun? Have a few classes all over the place and i guess i'll pick up the x-pack.... Any suggesting?

I've heard Ninja is fun

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Frog Act posted:

I've heard Ninja is fun

ninja it is, is the best way to level still running around doing the events?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As a caster i sometimes wonder what kind of view melee have of various fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR4JMdEvbmc
Now I know.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

a kitten posted:

As a caster i sometimes wonder what kind of view melee have of various fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR4JMdEvbmc
Now I know.

No words... should have sent a BRD...

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Dead Like Rev posted:

Do the thing that is fun.

Pick up a new job, play it until/if you get an itch to switch back to BRD...then swap back over to BRD. Or do both at the same time, whatever you feel like that hour.

One of the best things about this game is the ability to do that, take advantage of it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
In case you were curious what the GSS Yoship One looked like

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Final coil is ridiculously easy at 60 so you really just need to ask in FC and I'm sure you'll get some bites.

Well im glad to hear ill be able to find parties but im a bit disappointed to hear about the difficulty. Does it not scale down your items or is there another reason its easy?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

BattleCake posted:

Well im glad to hear ill be able to find parties but im a bit disappointed to hear about the difficulty. Does it not scale down your items or is there another reason its easy?

It's tuned around level 50 characters with i120 gear. If you do it at 60 with i180 gear, its a joke.

You can go in level and gear sync'd though, but you're much less likely to get people willing to do that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It depends. Most dungeons have a negligible accuracy cap, so wear whatever gear you have that's 110+ and gives the best stats. It will all be synced down as an HQ 110 item with regards to stat caps, so you can have a set of gear for level synced stuff that has a better stat allocation than what you might have with your 170 set.

You seriously do not need another set for level synced dungeons.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Going to give this game a try, because my wife started playing it on the PS4 and she's enjoying running around hitting things. Might even be done patching some time this year!

I was curious, in anyone's experience, if there were any crafting jobs that were worth going after as a new player, and any crafting classes one might consider staying away from? I inevitably piss away too much time and money on crafting.

About all I know about the how I'll be starting is that I'll be grabbing Marauder so I can start in L L or whatever and at level 10 I'll be picking up Rogue, but this is more "because that's what is there" and less "This is where my character life will ultimately end up."

Also, any websites that show what different armor sets look like? I remember in FFXI there was the model viewer, and the wiki would often show screenshots of completed sets, but I haven't found that with this game yet outside of images of the artifact sets.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

sethimothy posted:

Going to give this game a try, because my wife started playing it on the PS4 and she's enjoying running around hitting things. Might even be done patching some time this year!

I was curious, in anyone's experience, if there were any crafting jobs that were worth going after as a new player, and any crafting classes one might consider staying away from? I inevitably piss away too much time and money on crafting.

About all I know about the how I'll be starting is that I'll be grabbing Marauder so I can start in L L or whatever and at level 10 I'll be picking up Rogue, but this is more "because that's what is there" and less "This is where my character life will ultimately end up."

Also, any websites that show what different armor sets look like? I remember in FFXI there was the model viewer, and the wiki would often show screenshots of completed sets, but I haven't found that with this game yet outside of images of the artifact sets.

For crafting, it actually is best to level all the classes to 50 because each one gets a unique skill which can be used by any of the others, and quite a few of them are important. Additionally, there's a lot of crossover in crafting recipes where a craft for, say, blacksmith, will also use items from carpenter or leatherworker. It's less important to take them all to 60 right now, but if you like crafting you'll probably end up doing it anyway.

In terms of priorities, Carpenter is the most important if you want the best results from crafting for it's critical level 50 skill. In practical terms, Culinarian will provide the biggest benefit to playing the game as you can make your own food. Alchemist to a lesser degree for if you want to use stat potions frequently.

The general recommended path for everyone totally new to crafting is all crafts to 15 -> CUL to 37 -> CRP to 50 -> whatever you like.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

sethimothy posted:

Crafting is an all or nothing thing, either you level most/all the classes or none at all. They're also very much separate from the battle classes, so don't worry about needing one while leveling (or at all).

Rogue/Ninja is fun, though you might enjoy it less if you have bad internet. It's very ping dependant. At 15, you'll get access to other cities, make sure you pick up pugilist in Ul'dah and level it to 15 so that you can get access to your Ninja job at 30.

Afaik someone is working on a model viewer but its very much in beta and isn't very good.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

sethimothy posted:

There's not really a particularly bad or good crafting class; in fact, their skills are all intertwined to the point that it's generally recommend that at the VERY LEAST you level everything to 15.

In terms of moneymaking, I would think that Alchemist and Goldsmith do the best because they make intermediate materials that a lot of the other classes need, and still sell at a profit. I can only speak for Exclalibur but carpentry tends to be ridiculously out of whack, where the logs that it takes to make the lumber cost more per piece than the lumber does.

Please feel free to ignore my advice as soon as a more experienced crafter shows up, though. The main takeaway here is that there's not really a bad crafting class. It is kind of difficult to keep them levelled alongside your main combat class, and to be honest, the story quests are going to be handing you gear so often you're not really going to need to craft your own stuff.

As for model viewing, I think xivmodels.com is what you're looking for. I can't connect to it, but my Internet's being hosed up today so I dunno if it's actually down. Xivdb.com is your Wowhead equivalent for this game, incidentally.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

sethimothy posted:

1. Not really, crafting is sort of an all or nothing experience economically. If you tend to fall into crafting sinkholes, lol you're gonna get owned hard in this game. Crafting is fun in this game though. So if you're into crafting give it a shot just for fun. If you -really- need an excuse to level a craft, you could pick the one that makes most of your main job's gear so you can do repairs yourself. It's a minor convenience.

2. Where/how you start only matters for the first 10-15 levels, then you can be everywhere/everything at once (minus expansion stuff).

3. Out of the game, idk. In game, you can 'try on' gear by selecting it (on the market board, in a vendor list, by checking someone, in a quest reward box, or if someone links it in chat).

Neat Machine fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 27, 2015

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

sethimothy posted:

Crafting is insane, it is it's own game in itself pretty much. All crafting classes are great at making money, some more than others I guess. You can make serious bank even making early game gear for people with too much money and not enough sense.

Yeah, a tank class like marauder will get you in queues really fast but you do have more responsibilities, boils down to making sure monsters don't hit other people really. Rogue, which eventually becomes Ninja, is a great class too.

There aren't really any armor galleries out there unfortunately. There was a site a year or so ago that fell into disuse and stopped updating. It's really the only "outside of game" resource ff14 is lacking. You can ask around and maybe someone will post a screenshot of a character with the gear set you want. you can also view people's gear and "try it on" to see if you like it before committing to earning it.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

bonewitch posted:

It's tuned around level 50 characters with i120 gear. If you do it at 60 with i180 gear, its a joke.

You can go in level and gear sync'd though, but you're much less likely to get people willing to do that.

I'm kinda curious about unsyc turn 13. I mean, the plan for that was always using the tank LB3 to survive Teraflare, but you don't build limit when you're outleveling everything by that much. How do you get through it now? Does everyone have enough HP that it's cool?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Everyone who keeps saying crafting is great should level their crafts to 60, look at the endgame, and then revise their statements when they try to convince new people to craft.

Crafting is now truly something you only do past 50 if you really want to craft.

nuru fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 27, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nuru posted:

Everyone who keeps saying crafting is great should level their crafts to 60, look at the endgame, and then revise their statements when they try to convince new people to craft.

Counterpoint: try to level crafting so I can sell you hallowed waters.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

oh my god this guy :allears:

quote:

[10:09 p.m.](Biden Senpai) my wife is Obama San

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So am I missing something about Aero II? It seems like it's only a little more powerful than Aero, but it has a cast time and costs significantly more MP. Is it only worth using since it stacks with Aero and you can just double on DOTs that way? Or am I dumb?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

nuru posted:

Crafting is now truly something you only do past 50 if you really want to craft.

Post 50 crafting is something to do if you have way too much gil and would really like to use it all. I've spent so much gil and time getting everything to 60 (LTW still 57). And I include not just selling the mats for gil as "spending" gil, because I'm not making a profit on it!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Frog Act posted:

So am I missing something about Aero II? It seems like it's only a little more powerful than Aero, but it has a cast time and costs significantly more MP. Is it only worth using since it stacks with Aero and you can just double on DOTs that way? Or am I dumb?

It's more potency per GCD than casting stone 2 again.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
drat Singularity Reactor is cool.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

nuru posted:

On the one hand, I recognize that you're not wrong. On the other hand, I still enjoy doing the little bits of crafting that I do in between dungeons. It's relaxing.

Does it have a point? Nah, not in the grand scheme of things, since all I'm spending the gil I'm making is on more crafting mats to make more money. But every now and then, I need a glamour, or I need to gear up an alt, and BAM, I have over 2 million gil in the bank to drop on whatever it is.

I'm not trying to come off as defensive, or anything, I'm trying to point out that if you're not worried about being super mega endgame crafter you can at least get some enjoyment out of it.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

drat Singularity Reactor is cool.

Can't wait for the hardmode version.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mo0 posted:

On the one hand, I recognize that you're not wrong. On the other hand, I still enjoy doing the little bits of crafting that I do in between dungeons. It's relaxing.

Does it have a point? Nah, not in the grand scheme of things, since all I'm spending the gil I'm making is on more crafting mats to make more money. But every now and then, I need a glamour, or I need to gear up an alt, and BAM, I have over 2 million gil in the bank to drop on whatever it is.

I'm not trying to come off as defensive, or anything, I'm trying to point out that if you're not worried about being super mega endgame crafter you can at least get some enjoyment out of it.

It's not so much the lack of point as the hilariously tilted road for crafting once you hit 60 on them. If I decide to go craft 450 red scrips right now it will cost me approximately 2.25 million gil based on MB material prices for the CUL materials I need. That's for a single week.

You're right that it's fine if you just want to level them then not really do much with it beyond tinkering.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Also the moon?! :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

It's not so much the lack of point as the hilariously tilted road for crafting once you hit 60 on them. If I decide to go craft 450 red scrips right now it will cost me approximately 2.25 million gil based on MB material prices for the CUL materials I need. That's for a single week.

You're right that it's fine if you just want to level them then not really do much with it beyond tinkering.

If the CUL turnin is too expensive... maybe try a different class? I did my weekly on CRP, and it was cheap as gently caress.

• Locked thread