Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

boxcarhobo posted:

im not trying to be rude or anything but is there any way you could get a picture of this because i dont understand how this happens

Maybe he plays half cross handed, where his left arm is rotated 180 degrees at the shoulder so his hand is on the right side of the stick and who the gently caress knows

Seriously he's probably just resting the the middle of his palm on the balltop.

I can't stop editing: even ryu's cousin doesn't have this problem with spacing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68tl-O-EQHQ

Fayk fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Correnth posted:

Can we have some pad chat & recommendations for a minute? I'd really like to buy a new pad that's compatible with both my PC and my PS3 but have no clue what would be good for fighting games - Right now I'm using a Dualshock 3 and the d-pad is loose as all hell and driving me batty. As a preference I'd really rather have four face buttons over six on whatever I pick up but at this point I'll take whatever doesn't have me accidentally jumping every time I go to DP because I hit left a little too hard.
I don't have much experience with pads (I'm a stick player) but I've practiced a little bit using the DS4, which has a much better D-pad than the DS3. It feels far less mushy and it doesn't "sink" into the controller as deeply. The shape of the DS4 is more comfortable too, IMO. The DS4 is less of a hassle to get working with your PC and it's compatible with PS4 if you ever get one. :v:

The other pad I've used for fighting games is the USB Sega Saturn pad. It has a great D-pad but it has 6 face buttons. If you decide to get one, beware of cheap knockoffs.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah the DS4 is very good, much better D-Pad than PS3, and very good for PC gaming in general. Grab this DS4Windows to make it emulate an xinput controller, and you can use the trackpad as a mouse as well.

You can use it over Bluetooth as well if you want as well, BUT you may have serious issues with that over Windows 7 since it has hosed up Bluetooth handling. Works great in Windows 10 though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

boxcarhobo posted:

im not trying to be rude or anything but is there any way you could get a picture of this because i dont understand how this happens

One, that's weird. Two, I have no idea how to fulfill that request and simultaneously take a picture of it.

The Kins posted:

Have you considered taking your boxing gloves off?

You buffoon stop
you carpet bagger stop
I'll give you what for stop

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

One, that's weird. Two, I have no idea how to fulfill that request and simultaneously take a picture of it.

You buffoon stop
you carpet bagger stop
I'll give you what for stop

im just trying to picture what weird birth defect you have that could cause this to happen is all

maybe draw me a diagram because idgi

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's just more comfortable for me to not regularly use the two closest buttons to the joystick on my gear. I would be completely unable to use your typical hori stick. What I don't get about those sticks is that they have this MASSIVE shelf on both sides, but they cram the buttons and stick as close as they can possibly manage. It's just not comfortable for me.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
honestly that sounds like my issue with trying to play the DS and 3DS. my hands don't quite 'get' how to hold the thing and use the shoulder buttons comfortably.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"I just want to body ppl in Splatoon" - Justin Wong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIy91_eNiU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

:yeah:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Correnth posted:

Can we have some pad chat & recommendations for a minute? I'd really like to buy a new pad that's compatible with both my PC and my PS3 but have no clue what would be good for fighting games - Right now I'm using a Dualshock 3 and the d-pad is loose as all hell and driving me batty. As a preference I'd really rather have four face buttons over six on whatever I pick up but at this point I'll take whatever doesn't have me accidentally jumping every time I go to DP because I hit left a little too hard.

If you don't need PS4 compatability, I'd say Logitech F310. Amazing dpad and has a switch between xinput and dinput. Only downside is that the triggers are kinda stiff.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A.o.D. posted:

It's just more comfortable for me to not regularly use the two closest buttons to the joystick on my gear. I would be completely unable to use your typical hori stick. What I don't get about those sticks is that they have this MASSIVE shelf on both sides, but they cram the buttons and stick as close as they can possibly manage. It's just not comfortable for me.

Can you palm a basketball? Because I can, and I have no issues playing on Hori sticks.

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013

Arzachel posted:

If you don't need PS4 compatability, I'd say Logitech F310. Amazing dpad and has a switch between xinput and dinput. Only downside is that the triggers are kinda stiff.
The F310 dpad is quite loose too, at least mine rattles all over the place. Doesn't really affect playing though, no accidental inputs or anything at least for me.

Also the analog sticks (which you shouldn't use for fighting games anyway) are pretty bad.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I really hope the August update helps facilitate Splatoon eSports because I would totally tune in

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

teagone posted:

Can you palm a basketball? Because I can, and I have no issues playing on Hori sticks.

this is not related to anything but i briefly interpreted 'palm' as if you meant the concealment trick magicians use and was extremely impressed at your sleight of hand

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Second Impact, ladies and gents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZczcVByZQcQ

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

TOO LONG

This is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKtSZ8X_ozA

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I had a SF3 player complain to my face about SFV's hitstun being "too high so scrubs can confirm into high damage combos".

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
its kinda hard to confirm chun c.mk super. i tried for a little while but i wasnt consistent

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dias posted:

I had a SF3 player complain to my face about SFV's hitstun being "too high so scrubs can confirm into high damage combos".

oh, i get it. he meant to say "hitstop" right?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

UNIELst (or UNIST if you prefer that) is now officially out in Japanese arcades. Dustloop has a video thread with links to a few of the arcade sessions so far: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php/topic/8893-uniel-videostream-thread/?p=927308

In a couple of the videos in the latest post there, Boogie (one of the best Hilda players) is using new character Phonon. I wonder if that's gonna be a permanent switch for him or if he's just trying out the new girl?

Also, even though there's a new version in Japanese arcades, UNIEL still feels cool and good and people should try it.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Awkward English commentary Tekken Crash is on again: http://www.twitch.tv/tekkencrash_en/

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

UNIELst (or UNIST if you prefer that) is now officially out in Japanese arcades. Dustloop has a video thread with links to a few of the arcade sessions so far: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php/topic/8893-uniel-videostream-thread/?p=927308

In a couple of the videos in the latest post there, Boogie (one of the best Hilda players) is using new character Phonon. I wonder if that's gonna be a permanent switch for him or if he's just trying out the new girl?

Also, even though there's a new version in Japanese arcades, UNIEL still feels cool and good and people should try it.

Mid-combo Veil Off is sick as gently caress and I'm really looking forward to the new version of UNIEL hitting consoles when it does. Cheers for this post, I gotta watch it and see if maybe Nanase and Chaos got some deserved buffs.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I was wondering if there's a way to always get simultaneous button inputs in older fighting games w/o a macro in the FBA emulator that fightcade/ggpo uses.

In older fighting games, simultaneous button input moves required inputting the button on the same frame. As an example, in Garou, universal overhead requires inputting A+B on the same frame. In Street Fighter II Turbo, zangief's lariat requires inputting PPP on the same frame.

This means that if your simultaneous input is slightly off (e.g. even 1 millisecond off between the button presses), there's a chance that your desired move doesn't come out because your inputs overlap the end of an input frame of ~1/60 of a second. The only solutions seem to be getting better at pressing the buttons simultaneously or using a macro.

Inputting two buttons within 1/60 of a second is trivial and anyone could do it with 100% accuracy. Inputting two buttons within the same 1/60 of a second frame 100% of the time so that your inputs do not overlap the edge of a frame is impossible.

Your probability of loving up is the minuscule time between button presses divided by 1/60 of a second. It seems like you will always have a non-zero time between button presses, and therefore your chance of dropping is always non-zero. A 1 millisecond difference translates into a 6% chance of dropping. 1 millisecond is a thousandth of a second. This is 1/10th of the hundredth of a second on a stopwatch.

Later games I believe fixed this by having a 2f input window and letting you kara into the move.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 26, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You can use hardware to do it, map a button to two others. I don't recall if there are any common programmable joysticks out there these days, you could probably get clever with a ps360+ if you wanted to though. I'm sure you could find someone who's done up a switch to enable/disable that on one.

You can also use Autohotkey on PC to take care of that for every emulator.

If you're asking if there's a non-macro way to get it down 100% reliably, there's not a whole lot you can do other than practice and :gitgud: as much as possible. And yeah, that's why we have looser input on things these days that have given us all sort of fun things like Kara throws, FDCancel, P.Linking, etc etc etc.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
After putting some time into the steam version of +R I have found a deep love for Kliff.
Are there any other characters that have similar playstyles/toolkits in other fighters?
Steams online is currently dead and I want to get matches in with this kind of character.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

The Gorp posted:

After putting some time into the steam version of +R I have found a deep love for Kliff.
Are there any other characters that have similar playstyles/toolkits in other fighters?
Steams online is currently dead and I want to get matches in with this kind of character.

Well, can you put into words what you like about him?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

im cryeing

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Dope rear end poo poo right there

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

:yeah:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

burger time posted:

Well, can you put into words what you like about him?

Super heavy-damaging long ranged normal's.
OTG bouncing 2S.
Converting standard hits into super heavy combos when able to spend meter.
Strong dizzy game at the cost of getting dizzy yourself.
Ability to play sort of a zoner despite offence oriented kit due to range.
High risk.reward mobility options like 214k flip special.
Small hurtbox annoyance.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I was playing A3 on Fightcade earlier and I kept getting trashed by like everybody. How do you deal with rushdown? I always get put in the corner and just crack.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

EightFlyingCars posted:

I was playing A3 on Fightcade earlier and I kept getting trashed by like everybody. How do you deal with rushdown? I always get put in the corner and just crack.

Who do you use? Who did they use? Its not a particularly rushdown heavy game my man. MAybe just put their jumps or aggressive movement in check.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the idea of there being a street fighter 3 that isn't third strike confuses and upsets my brain.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Uniel[st] playlist with the stuff linked so far and probably other stuff that hasn't been linked. It also has an 8.5k damage Phonon combo which is pretty neat.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQaPx2u7wEStvv-sRkfE5G2SVCk2wX9w_

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Who do you use? Who did they use? Its not a particularly rushdown heavy game my man. MAybe just put their jumps or aggressive movement in check.

I've been using Charlie since charge characters feel pretty good to me, but my execution is garbage since I just started out. It also feels like my normals get stuffed a lot. Am I just using the wrong spacing? Maybe I'm too close?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

EightFlyingCars posted:

I've been using Charlie since charge characters feel pretty good to me, but my execution is garbage since I just started out. It also feels like my normals get stuffed a lot. Am I just using the wrong spacing? Maybe I'm too close?

Charlie is a rushdown character to begin with and his best anti-air is activating v-ism

Welcome to A3, enjoy your stay

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Uniel[st] playlist with the stuff linked so far and probably other stuff that hasn't been linked. It also has an 8.5k damage Phonon combo which is pretty neat.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQaPx2u7wEStvv-sRkfE5G2SVCk2wX9w_

Is there a change list or whatever?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there a change list or whatever?

Most of this should be accurate at this point despite being in the thread for the loketests: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php/topic/10833-unist-loketest-news/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vel
Jun 7, 2014

Correnth posted:

The Hori Fighting Commander 4 might be something to look into. It sounds like what you're looking for except for having 6 face buttons. I haven't used one and I don't play with a pad, but they have pretty good reviews.

• Locked thread