Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how many donations they lost from people tuning out over that guy.

Probably not a significant number, but there's I suspect a few people who checked out this "games done quick" thing only to get hit in the face with that and turned it off fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone have a link to the hosed up sonic run, I'm sick of crash

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Velocity Raptor posted:

Here's a link to the VODs. Only the first run is timestamped, but they usually update every few hours.

http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/3emv6z/sgdq_vod_thread_2015/

e: game was Crash Bandicoot 2

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/8647104

5h26min

6h13min for meltdown

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I'm disappointed I was out being social and productive all day while missing what may have been a *GDQ's best meltdown ever

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alteisen posted:

https://twitter.com/witwix/status/625484952977567745

Its for charity guys, stop being buttholes. :argh:

To be fair if you scroll down he pretty much went back and was like wow nevermind.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

disjoe posted:

http://forums.ubi.com/archive/index.php/t-183432.html

gamepro11: video game serial killer for at least eight years.

Holy gently caress.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Alteisen posted:

https://twitter.com/witwix/status/625484952977567745

Its for charity guys, stop being buttholes. :argh:

https://twitter.com/witwix/status/625499308419198976

so yeah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Wait was ultrajman really banned from GDQ?
I hope he was after he brought that loving Game of Thrones "parody" game and explained all the jokes while playing it

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

CardTech posted:

I haven't been paying attention, did they at least change out the mic after that dude? I sure hope so.

Modern microphone technology hasn't been developed enough to withstand the intensity of GDQ-force cringe.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oh ok. Now time for a good speedrun with hopefully good speedrunners.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dork457 posted:

"This level/game is domestic abuse."

He more than a few times looked stumped on what to say that's not a swear. And he says something like that to soften the blow.

That's really tame.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

disjoe posted:

http://forums.ubi.com/archive/index.php/t-183432.html

gamepro11: video game serial killer for at least eight years.

lol I really wanna watch the replay.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wodin posted:

Taking that out of context isn't very cool, as he mentioned a little later that was posted before all of the domestic violence/suicide jokes/etc and was just trying to shore up a guy who was being somewhat awkward, not the sad-panda-esque performance it turned into.

Yea it just popped up on my feed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yay! Finally a new run to talk about instead of be horrified by!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how many donations they lost from people tuning out over that guy.

Apparently donations nearly stopped dead. Dude earned only $2,000 over the course of that.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

symbolic posted:

He was slapped on-stream by his mom a few years ago. It's loving hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S8Y5vRreGU

Yes and he has appeared at a GDQ after that.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

GNU Order posted:

It must really suck to be a 20something, tune into this randomly for the first time, start to get nostalgic over Crash 2, and then this dude starts squealing at you

yes it does.

Also, turning off the sound fx to save that much time, drat. Crash 3 is a great game though, not really hard, so the gimmicks don't overstay their welcome.

e: the 100% speedrun is a pain though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Hmm, I picked either the very best or the very worst time to go get some pho and sleep.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I just tuned in, what the gently caress did I just miss?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

funmanguy posted:

Future serial killer

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

funmanguy posted:

Some nerd likened a video game to domestic abuse, clutch your pearls.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do these games look so drat good on a ps1

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

funmanguy posted:

A Youtuber lets player dropping nearly all the audience.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

funmanguy posted:

The best and worst speedrun in *GDQ ever.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

UIApplication posted:

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Naughty Dog are gods at programming.,

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I thought that guy was a little arrogant / unfunny during his SADX run but he played the game decently enough and it had a good enough vibe to it thanks to his couch crew backing him up. Shame he had to go and ruin it with...that.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

UIApplication posted:

There's an article about how they made the levels for crash 1, and it basically says "when we made a level, we'd get everything ready, then have our best computers compile it overnight, so making final tweaks was a slog." Also, they didn't have a lot of stuff from sony for reasons, so they had to guess about some stuff for the playstation.

e:
Beaten, this is a really cool article for people interested in good things.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And now Klaige who helps a lot with the event tweeted we'll take care of it.

Wonder if they'll kick him out.

To be honest, I had a lot of trouble following the run because of the runners antics, I don't know really what he did because he took so much away from his own run.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
So glad I caught the stream on twitch today. I love SGDQ! :)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well the Crash 2 run is over so let's talk about this decent race of Warped. It is enjoyable and fun.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Alteisen posted:

To be honest, I had a lot of trouble following the run because of the runners antics, I don't know really what he did because he took so much away from his own run.
He killed himself over and over and over and god drat that run was repetitively boring.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

argondamn posted:

Doing so on a charity stream which is trying to reach the widest audience possible seems like a poor idea regardless

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Sometidbits for ya:

quote:

The Playstation had this oddball 512×240 video mode that everyone else ignored, it wasn’t standard (320×240) and ate up video memory others wanted for textures. But it looked SHARP and we found the machine was really good at rendering shaded, but un-textured, triangles. In fact, just as fast in the 512 mode as 320. Jason pointed out — he’s always been the master of seeing the intersection between art and tech — that since polygons on 3D characters our size were just a few pixels, shaded characters actually looked better than textured ones. So we went with more polys on the characters, less texture. This was a highly usual approach, but had lots of advantages. The characters popped, like cartoons are supposed to, we had lots more polygons to work with, and it worked around the Playstation’s lack of texture correction or polygon clipping.

quote:

The idea was that the camera would follow along next to, behind, or in front of the character, generally looking at him, moving on a “track” through the world. Dave and I experimented with pre-calculating the visibility and sort (the Playstation had no z-buffer, and hence no easy way to sort polygons) ahead of time on the SGI workstations the artists used. Although painful and expensive, this worked really well. As long as you could never SEE more than a set number of polygons (800 for Crash 1, 1300 for Crash 2 or 3) from any given position we could have perfect occlusion and sort, with no runtime cost. We conceived of using trees, cliffs, walls, and twists and turns in the environment to hide a lot of the landscape from view – but it would be there, just around the corner.

So we decided to use an entirely SGI and IRIX based tool pipeline. In fact the game itself even ran on the SGI (with terrible keyboard control). This meant buying programmers $100,000 SGIs instead of $3,000 PCs. Gulp again. No one else did this. No one. And at the time, when a 50mhz Pentium with 8-32 megs of RAM was typical, our 250mhz 64 bit SGIs with 256 or 512 megs of RAM opened up totally different computational possibilities. By 1997 I had 4 gigs of ram in my machine! Of course some of those computational possibilities were so brutal that I had to code tools to distribute the calculations out to the video hardware, and chop it up onto all the office machines, where processing could be done in parallel 24 hours a day. Levels often took several hours to process on our 5-8 machine farm.

quote:

I also concocted a crazy algorithmic texture packer that would deal with the fact that our gorgeous 512×240 mode left us with too little texture memory. And the even crazier – way crazier – virtual memory system required to shoehorn the 8-16 meg levels the artists created into the Playstation’s little 2megs of RAM. Dave meanwhile had to invent insane bidirectional 10x compressors to help get the 128meg levels down into 12, and figure out some tool for managing the construction of our gigantic 3D worlds.

Our levels were so big, that our first test level, which never shipped and was creatively named “level1” or “the jungle,” couldn’t be loaded into Alias PowerAnimator even on a machine with 256megs. In fact, it had to be cut up into 16 chunks, and even then each chunk took 10 minutes to load!

Crash was literally magic.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah I read this a while back. Still, I write software for a living now and the stuff in that article makes me want to run and hide, they were drat good engineers

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

argondamn posted:

"KILL THEM ALL!!!! SLIT THEIR THROATS AND HANG THEM BY THE NECK HAHAHAHAH"

"were getting off subject. so Altair can just throw someone off a building or just kill anyone he wants?"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I remember liking crash as a kid but man these games look like they've been dated.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I remember liking crash as a kid but man these games look like they've been dated.

I'm refraining from snarky comments because I know a lot of people have fond nostalgia for these games, but yeah, not a fan.

Audio is too low to hear this easily on my laptop :(

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's a 3D platformer from the PSX era. If anything it's miraculous that it looks this good.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Wait, did he say there are no masks in the PAL version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

victrix posted:

I'm refraining from snarky comments because I know a lot of people have fond nostalgia for these games, but yeah, not a fan.

I never had a Playstation, so I've never played any of the Crash Bandicoot games before. For all the people who were saying this was an amazing platformer, what do you like so much about it? Seems like a pretty linear race to the finish to me. :shrug:

• Locked thread