Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Just before I came back from Switzerland, Scout lost FIVE tail feathers and they're starting to grow back now. It looks like she has half of a tail, 4 from her right side and one of the big middle ones. Of course she won't stay still long enough for me to take photos of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
I was assuming my tiel was old enough to have been in a store (a fairly good local one), but he seems very clumsy, how old would he need to be to be able to get around his cage fairly well? Now that he has found the food thats where he has sat most of today, getting up to a perch takes much skwawking and wing flapping and I'm worried he's liable to hurt himself.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Griffball posted:

I was assuming my tiel was old enough to have been in a store (a fairly good local one), but he seems very clumsy, how old would he need to be to be able to get around his cage fairly well? Now that he has found the food thats where he has sat most of today, getting up to a perch takes much skwawking and wing flapping and I'm worried he's liable to hurt himself.

He'll probably need to spend several days to get used to the size of the cage. Also, if he's never had proper open space to fly in before I don't think he'll be able to use his wings very well.

Again my own experience: Pion was extremely clumsy with getting around the cage at first, but after a few days got used to climbing the bars efficiently. Only after being let out and trying to fly in the living room did she learn how to properly use her wings for controlled jumps etc., and quickly became much more graceful in moving around inside the cage. And that's for a bird who was raised in an aviary, although not a terribly large one.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

I'm not used to the thought of a pug posing a serious threat to anything. Sounds like the birb will be alright, thanks to your quick actions.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

I'm not used to the thought of a pug posing a serious threat to anything. Sounds like the birb will be alright, thanks to your quick actions.

drat, we dont get kookaburras in our yard

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Dreggon posted:

drat, we dont get kookaburras in our yard

We get kookies and lorikeets in mass numbers out our back yard, they used to steal the chicken food.

Edit: Day 2, I bought some millet in order to bribe him with treats in the morning, still seems unsure about any food that isn't in the dish.

Edit 2: I put a cover over him for the night now he just sits on the bottom hissing at me, I assume he needs more light so I opened up the front.

Griffball fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 27, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
That looks pretty accurate to how lorikeets react towards kookaburras.

For people who aren't Australian, kookaburras are carnivores, like other kingfishers. Unlike other kingfishers, their favourite food isn't fish, though they'll eat it when they can get it. Instead, they love eating snakes and other small reptiles, small mammals like mice, and their favourite, small birds, baby birds, and bird eggs.

If a kookaburra turns up, especially during breeding season, all the other birds will flip right the gently caress out. They all swarm in and start ganging up on the kookaburra, trying to chase it away from their nests and eggs. Other birds hate kookaburras. Crows will eat eggs and baby birds if they can be bothered putting in the effort and there's nothing easier to eat. Kookaburras are much more predators than scavengers and will actively attack smaller birds. Tourists are frequently horrified to discover this, because they have such a cute and silly outward appearance and call!

Goannas are one of the few things that make birds flip out more than kookaburras. They scale trees and eat eggs and babies, though because they can't fly they can't take down adult birds as easily.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 27, 2015

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

I'm now crazy jealous of all of you Aussie goons (and I'm insanely jealous of any Kiwi goons, and always will be, because NZ birbs just make me grin big stupid grins). Don't get me wrong, I love all the wild birds I grew up with in my parents' backyard--especially the owls, all the owls, I'm the weirdo that would call to the owls and get them to fly closer because owls are awesome and screech owls make the BEST sounds--but there aren't any native wild North American (or maybe I'm just thinking of the continental States?) parrots and that just seems to take some of the fun out of the wild birdie parade.

Which reminds me: there used to be a wild North American (and/or States?) parrot: the Carolina Conure. They were so pretty (and maybe poisonous according to Wikipedia), and then Europeans showed up and ruined everything. :(

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

That looks pretty accurate to how lorikeets react towards kookaburras.

For people who aren't Australian, kookaburras are carnivores, like other kingfishers. Unlike other kingfishers, their favourite food isn't fish, though they'll eat it when they can get it. Instead, they love eating snakes and other small reptiles, small mammals like mice, and their favourite, small birds, baby birds, and bird eggs.

If a kookaburra turns up, especially during breeding season, all the other birds will flip right the gently caress out. They all swarm in and start ganging up on the kookaburra, trying to chase it away from their nests and eggs. Other birds hate kookaburras. Crows will eat eggs and baby birds if they can be bothered putting in the effort and there's nothing easier to eat. Kookaburras are much more predators than scavengers and will actively attack smaller birds. Tourists are frequently horrified to discover this, because they have such a cute and silly outward appearance and call!

Goannas are one of the few things that make birds flip out more than kookaburras. They scale trees and eat eggs and babies, though because they can't fly they take down adult birds as easily.

:stonklol:

I saw kookaburras at a bird park yesterday and cooed over them and now that I know they'd eat my budgies as a light snack, I'm horrified.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Look at that beak. Thats not the beak of a friend

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Whatever. I think they are awesome and metal and they loving LAUGH AT ALL YOU FUCKERS.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Lorikeets are the cheekiest motherfuckers of the parrot kingdom.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sekkira posted:

You have no fukken idea

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Frogmanv2 posted:

You have no fukken idea

Oh, I know.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Look at that beak. Thats not the beak of a friend

thats the beak of a stone cold bastard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZbykXlg6Q

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
:stonk:

Suddenly the "Kookaburra sittin' in the old gum tree / merry merry king of the bush is he" song I learned in kindergarten seems way less cute.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Oops missed roll call. Oh well, here's Pie anyway.

Here's Pie's house:

And here's Pie trying to shred my fingers for daring to ask him to step up:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pie is very handsome :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sekkira posted:

They are! They're very playful and friendly and love getting a reaction, so they very frequently pick up rude or funny noises and gestures when they're around people or tease other birds.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Tendai posted:

Pie is very handsome :kimchi:

He's pretty, yeah.

Though now that I've had him for a while I can honestly say I would never recommend black-capped conures to most people looking at conures. He's great and pretty quiet and I love him but good lord all he wants to do is CHEW and BITE and RIP HOLES IN EVERY FABRIC YOU OWN. I recently got a haircut where the back of my neck had to be buzzed a little and I guess the prickly buzzed hairs offended him because he immediately tried to rip holes in my skin.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

aerialsilks posted:

Oops missed roll call. Oh well, here's Pie anyway.

Here's Pie's house:

He's adorable. I also appreciate you posting a cage photo, I love seeing other people's cage setups.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Another thing I've heard many times about kookaburras, though I'm not sure if it's 100% true or not: they usually lay three eggs. One girl, one boy, and one "extra". The extra takes the place of one of the two main babies if they don't hatch or are sick or malformed... Otherwise, it gets to be an emergency food source for the two main babies.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

vv My forums signature has a kookaburra eating barbeque. This isn't really related, I just wanted to share. :buddy: vv

~*BIRD BIRD CREW*~

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

aerialsilks posted:

He's pretty, yeah.

Though now that I've had him for a while I can honestly say I would never recommend black-capped conures to most people looking at conures. He's great and pretty quiet and I love him but good lord all he wants to do is CHEW and BITE and RIP HOLES IN EVERY FABRIC YOU OWN. I recently got a haircut where the back of my neck had to be buzzed a little and I guess the prickly buzzed hairs offended him because he immediately tried to rip holes in my skin.
So, Alexis was exactly like this for the first year, maybe 18 months she was with me. Most of my tshirts now have little holes and rips in them, especially around the shoulders, collar, and front chest area (she'd hang from my collar).

In the past six months she's just stopped chewing on fabric! So I no longer wear lovely tshirts around the house. She seems to get it all out of her system with various toys I give her, and her fabric fetish or whatever it is she takes care of by gnawing on an old suitcase that I use as a playpen for her (with a bunch of toys in it).

So bear with him, maybe you'll get lucky and he'll switch his chewing habits to something that isn't your clothing or skin!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

He's adorable. I also appreciate you posting a cage photo, I love seeing other people's cage setups.
I do too, it always gives me ideas for how to change up Judah's.

Current Judah status: EXTREMELY MAD AT THAT BACKHOE OUT THERE WHAT ARE THEY DOING THIS IS MY PLACE TO MAKE NOISE I WILL YELL THE LOUDEST THIS IS A FUN GAME

Only, you know, more :derptiel: because periodically he also stares at it going by through the window, dead silent, with an air of cockatiel ????? about him. Like he knows he must destroy his nemesis, but is at the same time fascinated by it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I really need to figure out how to file a cockatiels claws without another person helping-a certain bird decided he wanted to be on my shoulder (?) and decided there was no need for anything like accuracy, and just flew directly at my face and tried to grab on with his horrible needle claws arghhh

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Mizuti posted:

Yeah I didn't think the pug would be any kind of threat, he hadn't even shown any interest in the birds the whole time I've been here. And hasn't since (though I've moved the birds to a room where the dogs can't go)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

kookaburra eating barbeque

I went looking for pictures of kookaburras raiding grills, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFwAYTHRd0c

Sausage-addicted kookaburra too fat to fly

It's for the best that kookaburras aren't kept as pets.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

I really need to figure out how to file a cockatiels claws without another person helping-a certain bird decided he wanted to be on my shoulder (?) and decided there was no need for anything like accuracy, and just flew directly at my face and tried to grab on with his horrible needle claws arghhh
I still have never managed this one and I blame it on my small hands rather than cockatiels just being enormous wiggly shitlords who would rather their claws get so long they get stuck on things because :derptiel:

This would be Judah if I allowed him unlimited access to popcorn instead of a couple pieces every few weeks.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz discovered melon is actually good today.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Tendai posted:

I still have never managed this one and I blame it on my small hands rather than cockatiels just being enormous wiggly shitlords who would rather their claws get so long they get stuck on things because :derptiel:

The thing that sucks about having more than one bird is when they learn bad habits from each other. Pearl, our potato, always used to wriggle, kick, and fight, but once you got a hold of her footies you could trim them. Then we got a parrotlet (no longer with us :(). He would sit rather still, but always clench his feet so you'd have to pry every dang toe to trim. Guess who SOMEHOW managed to figure out the clench maneuver and now is the world's biggest pain in the butt? :derptiel:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Birds picking up behavior from other birds can be the cutest thing. My elderly ladytiel learned how to bathe in a dish* and pick up millet with her little footsie like Amadeus does after a while. :3:

*sort of, she made the same dipping and feather-shaking movements Ama does but never actually got her body in the water :derptiel:

e: "never," not "ever"

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 27, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

*sort of, she made the same dipping and feather-shaking movements Ama does but ever actually got her body in the water :derptiel:
Judah has tried to bathe in falling rain (please note, he is emphatically not outside, this is an important part of the story) for over a decade now with no sign of understanding that the sound of water does not mean he's getting wet :derptiel:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Birds picking up behavior from other birds can be the cutest thing.
My Quaker, I believe, learned how to scream from cockatoos.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Halloween Jack posted:

My Quaker, I believe, learned how to scream from cockatoos.

Could be worse -- could have learned to throw a fit like a 'too.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

This would be Judah if I allowed him unlimited access to popcorn instead of a couple pieces every few weeks.

One day we'll figure it out. Today was not that day however, and once my partner came back I got my revenge on Mr Pending. Released from a tea towel into his cage, then discovering that no one apparently knew anything had happened but him, he became mildly confused. He consoled himself with preening, nibbling his toes, and furiously chewing his cardboard tube

And then all was well.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Day 3 and Oliver is still hissing at me and threatening to bite if my hand goes anywhere near the entrance to this cage. Now is the time where I start to worry this bird will never like me.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Griffball posted:

Day 3 and Oliver is still hissing at me and threatening to bite if my hand goes anywhere near the entrance to this cage. Now is the time where I start to worry this bird will never like me.
That's more a worry you should have if it's still happening in three months.

For the time being keep working on non-physical interactions with Oliver (talking to him, whistling, singing) and trying out various foods to see what he likes a lot.

It can take time to build trust, particularly if your bird is naturally more skittish/fearful than normal.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Battle Pigeon posted:

One day we'll figure it out. Today was not that day however, and once my partner came back I got my revenge on Mr Pending. Released from a tea towel into his cage, then discovering that no one apparently knew anything had happened but him, he became mildly confused. He consoled himself with preening, nibbling his toes, and furiously chewing his cardboard tube

And then all was well.

That's really the best way - gaslighting the hell out of them. Wish I'd have known that years ago instead of fueling the fire with a "awww you OK baaaby??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ritz discovered melon is actually good today.

Auuuugh I wish I could get a bird. I love sun conures so much and while I like cherry-headeds more the Sun is (a) easier to find around here and (b) probably the closest I'm going to get to a Carolina parakeet. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll finally be caught up on fixing all of this broken boat poo poo.