Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah, cyclists on the sidewalk is just a hazard for everyone. I don't know how many times I've seen a cyclist do a sudden turn and cross a street on pedestrian crossings (illegal), without even looking for cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
"Them upside-down yellow triangles with red borders don't apply to me börkbörkböööörk" - Swedish cyclists on Swedish stop-signs
"A nitwit on a bicycle was struck and killed when pedalling out in front of a big and slow vehicle visible from miles away" - The news every other day
:/

I've received comments sounding like tumblr crying "ABLEIST SCUMAG" when (on the local newsboard) wishing for city-wide reminders of how to act on a bicycle. The times I see one looking before crossing, slowing down, ringing bell, taking care around animals and children are terribly rare.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrLonghair posted:

"Them upside-down yellow triangles with red borders don't apply to me börkbörkböööörk" - Swedish cyclists on Swedish stop-signs
"A nitwit on a bicycle was struck and killed when pedalling out in front of a big and slow vehicle visible from miles away" - The news every other day
:/

I've received comments sounding like tumblr crying "ABLEIST SCUMAG" when (on the local newsboard) wishing for city-wide reminders of how to act on a bicycle. The times I see one looking before crossing, slowing down, ringing bell, taking care around animals and children are terribly rare.

How can one by ableist for insisting the people observe the law and common sense when on a bicycle?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

PT6A posted:

How can one by ableist for insisting the people observe the law and common sense when on a bicycle?

People who have no common sense, like to pretend they are just as handicapped as that drooling guy who serves coffee at Brownies'n'Downies.

Telling them to look where they are going feels the same to them as telling a kid with Downs to go back to school and loving learn how to do complex math.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cross post from the youtube thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMB_tcXO5A

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

leica posted:

Cross post from the youtube thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMB_tcXO5A
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't tailgate.

Jesus.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Krakkles posted:

Jesus.

Seriously. I mean, a couple more seconds of following distance might not have let him miss the crash entirely, but it certainly would have made his impact less severe.

Wonder what happened to the driver of the Jeep? Don't see how they could have walked away from that without serious injuries, but I can't find any news articles on it, so maybe they lived.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

Jesus.

It scares me when I see 4-5 cars all driving along within feet of one another (at 70-80 mph no less). If the car in front has to break suddenly then they're all hosed.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

It scares me when I see 4-5 cars all driving along within feet of one another (at 70-80 mph no less). If the car in front has to break suddenly then they're all hosed.

What do you mean increase following distance with speed?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dennyk posted:

Seriously. I mean, a couple more seconds of following distance might not have let him miss the crash entirely, but it certainly would have made his impact less severe.

Wonder what happened to the driver of the Jeep? Don't see how they could have walked away from that without serious injuries, but I can't find any news articles on it, so maybe they lived.

The guy that posted the video said he was alive but in ICU.

It's in Tampa right at the beginning of a huge freeway project they are working on now, you have to be paying attention 110% driving through it and obviously the jeep driver wasn't, probably on his phone I'm sure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

leica posted:

The guy that posted the video said he was alive but in ICU.

It's in Tampa right at the beginning of a huge freeway project they are working on now, you have to be paying attention 110% driving through it and obviously the jeep driver wasn't, probably on his phone I'm sure.

Yeah, even with a proper following distance, there's not much you can do when the car in front of you decelerates to 0 instantly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PT6A posted:

Yeah, even with a proper following distance, there's not much you can do when the car in front of you decelerates to 0 instantly.

That's the definition of proper following distance

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe in pedantic world, but in the real world tailing a car by 500 feet or however long it takes to go from 70 to 0 under control just ain't gonna happen. If there's any traffic it's impossible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

Maybe in pedantic world, but in the real world tailing a car by 500 feet or however long it takes to go from 70 to 0 under control just ain't gonna happen. If there's any traffic it's impossible.

The definition doesn't change. Maintain proper following distance when you can, maintain the longest possible distance when you can't.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

The definition doesn't change. Maintain proper following distance when you can, maintain the longest possible distance when you can't.

What you're proposing is essentially stopping on the side of the road and waiting for traffic to thin out to next to nothing, because if you try to leave a quarter mile gap between yourself and the next car other assholes are just going to pull into it and you become a hazard to people behind you by constantly slowing down to maintain whatever arbitrary following distance you think will prevent any collision from ever happening.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I like how several car lengths has now grown to a quarter of a mile

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ohgodwhat posted:

I like how several car lengths has now grown to a quarter of a mile

And you think people aren't going to constantly cut in front of you if you leave "several car lengths"? Have you ever driven on the highway in a moderately populated area at any time of the day besides midnight to 6 AM?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

If there's any traffic it's impossible.

Pretty much. The gap it would take to stop in time for something like that would instantly be filled by five cars and you would get nowhere.

[e] Sounds like some people live out in BFE and don't know what traffic is.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Geoj posted:

And you think people aren't going to constantly cut in front of you if you leave "several car lengths"? Have you ever driven on the highway in a moderately populated area at any time of the day besides midnight to 6 AM?

No, never :rolleyes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Geoj posted:

What you're proposing is essentially stopping on the side of the road and waiting for traffic to thin out to next to nothing, because if you try to leave a quarter mile gap between yourself and the next car other assholes are just going to pull into it and you become a hazard to people behind you by constantly slowing down to maintain whatever arbitrary following distance you think will prevent any collision from ever happening.

Oh word, is that what I proposed?

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
Lol you armchair warriors are delusional if you thought that was tailgating

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think......

......nevermind

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A 2011 suburban would need ~145 feet to go from 0-60. Add in the fact that traffic was almost certainly moving closer to 70 andyou get an absolutely impossible following distance for a freeway in a large city's downtown area. So no, you aren't dodging an accident where the car in front of you goes from 70-0, no matter what bullshit you've fed yourself about your ~super safe following distance~.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Vehicles in dense traffic aren't going to instantly stop, barring some kind of catastrophe; metal on pavement should have a lower coefficient of friction than your tires, so even if someone has a massive mechanical failure ahead of you, you should be able to avoid a collision in most instances by braking if you are paying attention and start braking as soon as your little gap closes.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

That Jeep didn't just insta-stop, it actually bounced backwards.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

EightBit posted:

Vehicles in dense traffic aren't going to instantly stop, barring some kind of catastrophe; metal on pavement should have a lower coefficient of friction than your tires, so even if someone has a massive mechanical failure ahead of you, you should be able to avoid a collision in most instances by braking if you are paying attention and start braking as soon as your little gap closes.

Did you watch the video clip that spurred this conversation?

E:FB

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Can we please not play word games over what "proper distance" means? Some people are using it to mean "the ideal distance when everybody behaves reasonably." Other people are using it to mean "what you should actually shoot for in everyday driving to maximize stopping distance while minimizing chance of people janking in front of you and defeating the purpose of maintaining distance." Neither group presumably has tablets handed down by God giving the one true definition; language doesn't work that way. Argue about what those two values are all you want, but don't waste time arguing over which is the platonic true meaning of a sentence somebody else wrote.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 27, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

Jesus, I didn't even notice that the first time. Yeah, the following distance you'd need to avoid that accident would be completely impractical if there were basically any other traffic on the freeway.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I wonder how many Gs the driver felt when it hit. :stonk:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Maybe if he hadn't been following the solid thingy so closely he could've avoided it :v:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

PT6A posted:

Maybe if he hadn't been following the solid thingy so closely he could've avoided it :v:

Remember to follow 1km away from all objects while driving

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is what he hit:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.950193,-82.524138,3a,75y,58.66h,62.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3-n7V2kkW0W4duOP69M8TQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I am constantly surprised that there are people on here who haven't realized PINING 4 PORKINS/GENDERWEIRD GREEDO is not to be taken seriously.

Also, I got nearly sideswiped by 3 different people today who all thought mirrors were for plebs. The last one I had to brake hard and make an unplanned lane change because they completely ignored my high beam flash and horn and just kept coming over regardless of the fact that I was already loving there.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I watched it a couple times, and I wonder if the g force was strong enough it actually caused the brake pedal to depress by itself, cause the only time the brakes are lit is the moment of impact. I suppose in reality it was likely just his foot/leg hitting the brake pedal during the accident that caused them to light up.

Testament to the design of those compressible barricade endcaps that the guy survived at all. If that had been into the end of a concrete barrier I'd imagine there would not be much recognizable of the car or driver afterwards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I think when the vehicle in front instantly goes from 70mph to -30mph and causes a gameover, it is acceptale to throw the controller on the ground and complain about the game's buggy physics.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...is that a regular bit of road design over there in the US? I suppose a bit of metal is slightly more forgiving than a concrete block but still, that was a heavy hit.

*edit: looked more at the googlemaps link, and it's roadworks related. Ignore the question.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 27, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
'gaters gonna 'gate

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I have been in Rome since Thursday. Holy crap, are the drivers terrifying. My friend just drove down here from Germany, and apparently his trip in was the automotive equivalent of descending into Hell.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

88h88 posted:

...is that a regular bit of road design over there in the US? I suppose a bit of metal is slightly more forgiving than a concrete block but still, that was a heavy hit.

*edit: looked more at the googlemaps link, and it's roadworks related. Ignore the question.

You'll see things like that (usually wider and more permanent) ahead of a bridge support column at exit ramps/interchanges. If you look closely it collapses in sections and usually has a spring or rubber (etc) to absorb the shock. Granted you wouldn't want to run into one, but it's better than smacking into an immovable support column or as in this case, a line of jersey barriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Piss in my gas tank if I'm wrong, but shouldn't safe following distance be a function of time rather than distance once you get out of town and on the highway?

A buffer of X seconds will increase following distance with increased speed so it makes sense to me.