Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
For anyone liking episodes 3 display of power, you're really going to like the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the light novel, crush heart is a save or die spell that if the target makes the save, they get a debuff of some sort.
The debuff is never specified.
So it can be useful in high level fights against enemies that will always resist it, because of its debuff.

Another thing you should all know is that every saturday, Skyinthewood translations releases another translated chapter of the Overlord light novel.
Currently, the translation is halfway through volume 5.

Here is the site: http://skythewood.blogspot.com/p/knights-and-magic-author-amazake-no.html

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 26, 2015

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

For anyone liking episodes 3 display of power, you're really going to like the next one.

Don't do this.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I don't enjoy how he's just okay with the whole, "Ah, I killed a human, but I'm not a human any longer, so I guess it's fine.".

Like it's no big deal? I mean, not feeling like you're a human anymore? I guess some people acclimatize faster than others :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OSad posted:

I don't enjoy how he's just okay with the whole, "Ah, I killed a human, but I'm not a human any longer, so I guess it's fine.".

Like it's no big deal? I mean, not feeling like you're a human anymore? I guess some people acclimatize faster than others :v:

It's obviously not going to be the last human he kills by a long shot, and getting bogged down in melancholy isn't going to do a show about being a big superpowered Lich King any good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

OSad posted:

Well if his emotions are literally dulled on account of him being a Lich, of course he'd have that reaction.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Genocyber posted:

Well if his emotions are literally dulled on account of him being a Lich, of course he'd have that reaction.
Yeah, it's less of a plot hole and more of a plot point.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OSad posted:

He's not justifying it to himself.

He's observing a change in himself. Similar to how he doesn't tire or get hungry anymore. You nerd.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So is this about someone who's actually evil or just kind of an anti-hero

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

It is about someone who wants to be an antihero but turns out to be evil as heck without even trying.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Namtab posted:

Yes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Namtab posted:

His alignment is Chaotic Dad.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

He's observing a change in himself. Similar to how he doesn't tire or get hungry anymore. You nerd.

Fair enough. Just seemed a little strange at first is all.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

That "grab heart" spell was :black101: as gently caress.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AfroSquirrel posted:

His alignment is Chaotic Dad.

Where is this dad thing coming from? The dude does nothing fatherly at all. If anything, the joke would be better as "chaotic dead".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

Where is this dad thing coming from? The dude does nothing fatherly at all. If anything, the joke would be better as "chaotic dead".

He's almost a father figure to the NPCs he and his friends created.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
This show is loving bad rear end. This is exactly what I've wanted to watch ever since SAO became a thing. Loved every bit of the village portion in episode 3

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

The NPCs do exactly that.

They even misinterpret what they 'heard' the supreme beings talking about in the past.

Mare is the only 'young' boy around, and so he and Demiurge think that dressing like a Trap is how boys should dress, based on what Mare's creator said.
They are very ignorant about some things, since they never saw young children, and they never grew up.

In the light novel, Mare's creator is a H-game voice actress who likes young(looking) crossdressing boys and girls, and her brother, Shalltears creator, was an H-game enthusiast who gave Shalltear a bunch of fetishes, including necrophilia.
They fought a lot because nothing kills a H-game like hearing your sister as one of the characters, and they wrote the conflict into their NPCs biography.

In the light novel and Manga, the last line Momonga changed on Albedo was not 'Is a bitch' but was 'Is a Nymphomaniac/Slut'.

I'm so confused but I'm really glad this thread exists, now.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

He's almost a father figure to the NPCs he and his friends created.

I couldn't help but laugh when the ice monster guy started gushing at the idea of skeletor having kids and being an uncle.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Overlord - Dad Skeletor's Bizarre Adventure

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

I like how whatever restraint he has just entirely comes from habit, like he saved those villagers only because of his reason and not any instinct or inner morality.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like how whatever restraint he has just entirely comes from habit, like he saved those villagers only because of his reason and not any instinct or inner morality.

Well I think it was more when he saw Sebas' subtle reaction to not being interested in saving them at all. So then he does it as a favor to his old friend's memory to "repay" what was done for him in the past. So who knows if it will ever happen again

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
IIRC the LN gets really dark, really fast after a certain point. It's a lot less "help i'm trapped in the computer and i dunno what to do with myself" and more "huh, actually being a lich has started to make be become pretty loving evil."

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Yes, let's spoil all the fun for people who just watch the anime!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno, sounds like a fun watch to me. Examining how literally losing your humanity changes your psychology? While curbstomping the world? Yeah, might be neat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I'd prefer it as an anime only watcher to only be informed of extra stuff for material already aired.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm kinda hoping things are somewhat good for the people under skeletor rule. Sure he's pure evil and will slay anyone that opposes him but hey our bellies are full.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I dunno, sounds like a fun watch to me. Examining how literally losing your humanity changes your psychology? While curbstomping the world? Yeah, might be neat.
Yeah, I'm just saying that if people go into this expecting the whole thing to be the wacky adventures of MMO-man lightly roleplaying his brodad lich character to avoid being hassled by the over-the-top NPCs his friends programmed, that's not what you get past a certain point.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
God forbid that somebody doesn't get what they're expecting. It's a good thing that we have y'all here with the spoilers so that certainly won't happen.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I'm reading the LN after the first two episodes peaked my interest and from doing so my conclusion is that I am going to watch all of this anime.

I think that's about as non-anime ruining as it's possible to get. God bless.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, I'm just saying that if people go into this expecting the whole thing to be the wacky adventures of MMO-man lightly roleplaying his brodad lich character to avoid being hassled by the over-the-top NPCs his friends programmed, that's not what you get past a certain point.

Was the other guy getting shamed out of the thread not hint enough that this thread is for discussing the drat show and nothing else?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I did dumb and spoiled myself by reading the manga, but that is mostly because I have no idea where you'd go to read light novels. My hobby store don't carry them. Any online source or availability for order?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Type "overlord LN" into google and click the first result. It leads to the fan translation project.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Mordaedil posted:

I did dumb and spoiled myself by reading the manga, but that is mostly because I have no idea where you'd go to read light novels. My hobby store don't carry them. Any online source or availability for order?

I-It's in the opening post...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

I-It's in the opening post...

Ah, it wasn't when I started reading the thread. :downs:

Or I just started reading the posts and forgot about it, whoops. Not sure which, but I at least didn't take note, thanks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Don't discuss this piece of media the topic is about" seems dumb. At least you should ask that spoilers for the anime be spoiler tagged.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Considering they move at different paces, I wouldn't mind personally, if this discussion restricted itself to the anime until it is over.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other threads manage amiable accommodation of all fans?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Other threads manage amiable accommodation of all fans?

Haha I guess you didn't follow the UBW thread, and that was with separate thread in place to avoid just that.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Xoidanor posted:

Haha I guess you didn't follow the UBW thread, and was with separate thread in place to avoid just that.

Or the Jojo anime thread.

• Locked thread