Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Shinryu is possible but not pleasant. Wonder Rod to Berserk and a ton of phoenix downs? Rapid Fire on Monk and Ranger to ignore defense. Lay on the air knife boosted syldras for the mages (or maybe syldra for all?)

Golem is also an option thanks to Summoner. Granted, it'll only last a few hits (I forget the amount of damage blocked, wasn't it something like Summoner's HPx8? Either way Shinryu will hit for several thousand), but it's there. And Phoenix is an option for anyone that goes down too, if you want to bother with Phoenix Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

Monk, Summoner, Black Mage, Ranger

Playing on mobile. Is there an easy way to beat Shinryu nd/or Omega?

And for neoexdeath, am I better off with Hermes shoes or flame rings so I can actually heal outside of items?

Berserk Shinryu with the Wonder Rod and use Golem every time he hits - it will absorb one attack. Concentrate on getting up anyone who does go down.

Omega is doable with a bit of luck, but attempts should be fast. Wear Lamia's Tiaras on the Mages. Hermes Sandals on all. Fastest person casts Carbuckle, then everyone else reflects split target Thundaga on the party. Hopefully the counter punches hit the mages, who fail to get confused. Its a damage race to kill him before the 2nd Wave Cannon; an elixir or two by the fastest guy might help. Shouldn't take too long before you get a good attempt.

Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!
Thank you, emulator fast forward. You made Geomancer, Dancer, Dancer, Dancer possible - if quite boring. After the initial grind-fest in the first world, they didn't really have to grind again until exdeath. It just wasn't working out blitzing the almagest portion down with sword dances. Final level for everyone was 48 thanks to Dancer's poor vitality. It was a little weird ending up buying four angel rings, four Hermes sandals, and three coral rings. On the plus side, jitterbug procs enough that you can pretty much just lay into the turbo button and grind away while the gang dances their asses off.

Since each of those chaos runs got progressively worse, I think the next run (and probably last for this fiesta) will be a good ol' random run. Got really tired of duplicates. Plus Gilgabot only ended up giving one wind crystal jobs across the four runs so far.

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."

Triple Crown achieved on my first ever run with White Mage/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Dancer. I went back to the rift with the post NED save after grabbing Hermes Sandals and Coral Rings, hitting the end first to take care of Shinryu before Omega. In doing this, I put off the unpleasant fight until later and enable Bartz to get the JP to obtain Equip Ribbon before a transition to White Mage. Shinryu was trivialized with berserk/blink (<3 White Mage), then I trudged back to Omega at character levels 35/35/35/33. I figured that maybe I'd get lucky with Krile's Rapid Fire/Thundaga Sword - I'd only need this to happen three times for victory. After 6 or 7 attempts, I managed to eke out a victory when Omega decided to take out his counterattack rage on everyone other than Krile.

This group was like having training wheels for a Fiesta run, I didn't deviate much from my normal strategy when playing this game. Maybe next run will force me out of my comfort zone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

Golem is also an option thanks to Summoner. Granted, it'll only last a few hits (I forget the amount of damage blocked, wasn't it something like Summoner's HPx8? Either way Shinryu will hit for several thousand), but it's there. And Phoenix is an option for anyone that goes down too, if you want to bother with Phoenix Tower.

(Level + 20) * 50 HP. Since Shinryu hits for about 9k on the front row, being able to tank more than one hit with Golem is impossible.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Run #2 done. Hey did you all know that 2 guys with Gaia Gear spamming Titan / 3 with Air Knives spamming Syldra makes a lot of the game pretty easy?

Summoner/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dancer

Summoner was obviously MVP due to !Summon being as strong as it is. Rotated it around so that everyone could use whatever my strongest summon at the time was.

Berserker was Berserker. One isn't really a big liability, and most enemies melted fast enough that she may as well have not been there.

Beastmaster was just a second Summoner. I think I caught 2 things total: a frog for the Gourd, and a Yellow Dragon on the way to Exdeath (didn't even have the Gourd equipped). I know that Captured monsters can be strong and versatile and all that, but :effort:

Dancer was mostly a third Summoner, otherwise doing !Dance on the few things Titan/Syldra didn't work on (Halicarnassus).

Recycling Centerpiece fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 27, 2015

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Chaos mode gave me NIN/RNG/SAM/DRG. Would've had to give me Chemist in the last slot for this run to be more Over Before It Began

Too bad I have no way to handle the optionals with this party :(

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
You could maybe kill Shinryu but it would probably drive you insane so I wouldn't bother.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
A Jump with two Dragon Lances will knock off a solid 15k HP from Shinryu. So you only need to make about 4 Jumps. Perhaps just 3 (or even 2!) with quick and furious use of Zeninage, Fuma Shurikens, and Rapid-Fire. And best of all, with Hermes Sandals, your Dragoon will be able to get in the air before the opening Tidal Wave. Hell, if you're willing to toss !Jump on everyone, they can all do it and be Hasted until he blows them to bits.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, Ranger wouldn't be able to use both !Jump and !Rapid-Fire. So you'll have to pick between Coral Ring Rapid-Fire or Hermes Sandal Jumps.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
My party is

Blue Mage
Berserker
Monk
Ninja

Unsure which skills to put on things, but my guess is

Blue Mage - Barehanded
Berserker - Dual Wield
Monk - Blue
Ninja - Blue

Does that seem right?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Crimson Harvest posted:

My party is

Blue Mage
Berserker
Monk
Ninja

Unsure which skills to put on things, but my guess is

Blue Mage - Barehanded
Berserker - Dual Wield
Monk - Blue
Ninja - Blue

Does that seem right?

Most of those seem fine except for barehanded on Blue Mage. That would help with goblin punch and thats about it. Throw so you can use rod boosted fire/thunder scrolls or HP +30% for survivability would be better.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's also some points in the game where I'd probably give the Monk Throw instead of Blue, and if you get to the endgame at low levels and don't wanna grind it may be worth sticking HP+30% on everyone but the Monk and going with that because Blue Mage and Ninja are incredibly good on their own and the Berserker is going to be useless as an rear end in a top hat on an elbow VS Neo XD unless you do the magic underflow glitch.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Can I only buy scrolls in the 1st and 3rd worlds?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Can I only buy scrolls in the 1st and 3rd worlds?

I know the werewolf village has scrolls and shurikans, not sure about any other place in world 2.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does that seem right?

I'd honestly give the Berserker !Blue to boost the Rune Axe. You're going to get more oomph out of that than Dual Wield in most situations.

Huzzah! posted:

I know the werewolf village has scrolls and shurikans, not sure about any other place in world 2.

Yeah, just Quelb. Admittedly, Quelb is a pretty central location, so that's not a bad thing.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd honestly give the Berserker !Blue to boost the Rune Axe. You're going to get more oomph out of that than Dual Wield in most situations.

Yeah, just Quelb. Admittedly, Quelb is a pretty central location, so that's not a bad thing.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the Rune Axe, that thing owns. Last game I gave my zerk Equip Harps for it.

psychologymonth
Aug 10, 2006
Dolphins are always plotting
Does anyone know where to find a Mammon/Galajelly in World 3? They're both enemies that spawn in the Forest of Moore, but that place doesn't seem to exist anymore. Someone mentioned catching them to beat Shinryu a few pages back (which is why I'm looking for them as well), so it must be possible. I assume I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Mammons appear in the rare encounter in the area where you fight Twintania.

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni

First time playing through the game and it was a ton of fun! Blue/Time/Chemist/Ranger stomped almost everything.

Tried the superbosses with my apparently way OP team, but don't think I went in properly prepared. I had no reflect rings, coral/fire rings, or Hermes sandals, since I assumed I could deal with all that stuff through chemist/time mage shenanigans. Over hours worth of attempts I got things rolling with omega a couple times, but at some point a reflect would drop right before a delta attack and everything would fall apart from there. Didn't try Shinruyu after that. Neoexdeath was a super fun fight though. Considering another run.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Beastmaster is a lot of fun!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bufuman posted:

A Jump with two Dragon Lances will knock off a solid 15k HP from Shinryu. So you only need to make about 4 Jumps.

No joke, the FFV strategy guide I had when the Anthology version was released said that the best strategy to defeat Shinryu was to give all your characters Jump with 8 Dragon Lances.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
So my train wrecking squad blu/chem/nin/time have arrived in the N-zone...all shall crumble...and then this Omega thing is there. On mobile(android) version i can't seem to get a poison rod to break on him. Is there a trick to it? He is basically reflected always and I don't think it lets me break a rod against a reflected character in my party unless I am just doing it wrong. Any hot tips for omega on android with this team?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Herux posted:

So my train wrecking squad blu/chem/nin/time have arrived in the N-zone...all shall crumble...and then this Omega thing is there. On mobile(android) version i can't seem to get a poison rod to break on him. Is there a trick to it? He is basically reflected always and I don't think it lets me break a rod against a reflected character in my party unless I am just doing it wrong. Any hot tips for omega on android with this team?

You should be able to break a Poison Rod on your teammates, yes.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This is probably the dumbest question but how do you break a rod in battle?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

mabels big day posted:

In the items menu, scroll all the way up until the character's equipped weapon(s) are showing, then double click the rod.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Poulpe posted:

In the items menu, scroll all the way up until the character's equipped weapon(s) are showing, then double click the rod.

So it has to be equipped then

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mabels big day posted:

yeah

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

mabels big day posted:

Yep! That's why #reg750 and #regNo750 runs are a thing - only certain classes can equip and break em (and they cost 750 each!)

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Will a level 36 Red Mage(44 Mag. Pwr) ever land Wonder Wand -> Break on section 3 of Neo Exdeath?

Almagest is one shotting the whole party(Thief, Red Mage, Beastmaster, Dragoon) and I really don't want to grind. Can't outrace the cast even throwing all my Zuu's at him.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

a real jerk posted:

Will a level 36 Red Mage(44 Mag. Pwr) ever land Wonder Wand -> Break on section 3 of Neo Exdeath?

Almagest is one shotting the whole party(Thief, Red Mage, Beastmaster, Dragoon) and I really don't want to grind. Can't outrace the cast even throwing all my Zuu's at him.

Honestly, that 80% M-Evade will screw you over more than the level-based accuracy check.

!Capture a Crystelle (or Thing, or whatever the crystal enemies in the final area are called in your version). They use Mighty Guard when !Released.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

mabels big day posted:

What's the value of rod breaking anyway?

I mean, I know there is one or people wouldn't do it, but nobody's ever explained it to me.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bad Seafood posted:

What's the value of rod breaking anyway?

I mean, I know there is one or people wouldn't do it, but nobody's ever explained it to me.

They cast powerful spells when broken, can be broken by classes who can't cast those powerful spells anyway, and the fire/ice/lightning ones are available very early on. It lets Red Mage pretend to do appreciable damage for longer, lets Time Mage actually have some pre-Meteo offense, and just work as a powerful single-use attack for quite a while.

Plus, Staffs of Light cast Holy when broken and can be gotten in World 2, which is very helpful for Red or White Mages taking on World 2 Exdeath.

Technically Chemist can wield staffs, too, but unless you're foregoing !Mix, they usually have more powerful options. :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Huh, interesting. Guess I should probably save up for some rods then.

Man but this team's turning out expensive.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

That was fun! I had never played FFV before, job system was too broad for me to choose on my own. Freedom, horrible freedom. Thanks Gilgabot!

e: got monk for my next run. let's see where this goes

insulated staircase fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 28, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

They cast powerful spells when broken, can be broken by classes who can't cast those powerful spells anyway, and the fire/ice/lightning ones are available very early on. It lets Red Mage pretend to do appreciable damage for longer, lets Time Mage actually have some pre-Meteo offense, and just work as a powerful single-use attack for quite a while.

Plus, Staffs of Light cast Holy when broken and can be gotten in World 2, which is very helpful for Red or White Mages taking on World 2 Exdeath.

Technically Chemist can wield staffs, too, but unless you're foregoing !Mix, they usually have more powerful options. :v:

Don't forget the almighty Quickleak, if you have a Time Mage.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Mountaineer posted:

Ended up coming back for another chaos run, and got a pretty good team. Barf and friends achieved the triple crown.

Why is ex-death a cactuar?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Fiesta Mod for the GBA version. It's linked in the second post of this thread. It turns Neo Exdeath into a cactuar to be more "festive," but changes nothing about him mechanics-wise. It also unlocks all jobs from the start if you don't want to spend any time as Freelancers during a chaos run.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

Fiesta Mod for the GBA version. It's linked in the second post of this thread. It turns Neo Exdeath into a cactuar to be more "festive," but changes nothing about him mechanics-wise. It also unlocks all jobs from the start if you don't want to spend any time as Freelancers during a chaos run.
All World 1 jobs, at least. So no Mimic, or any of the GBA-only jobs. (I've picked them up on several runs for the fun of it and they don't appear on the job selection list.) But even without any of them there's still a lot of breadth in the existing selection, so :shrug:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Are those two files linked in the second post actual ROMS? And if so, what emulator can run them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

GreenMetalSun posted:

Are those two files linked in the second post actual ROMS? And if so, what emulator can run them?

No, they are patch files. Roms are :filez: and I'm not that stupid, I like my SA account.

• Locked thread