Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

DoubleDonut posted:

The point here is not whether he has a tragic backstory or not, the point is whether Stain has an actual ideology that stems from his backstory but is still logical and debatable instead of STAIN HATES MOST SUPERHEROES BECAUSE ONE TIME A HERO KILLED HIS DOG!!! The latter is pretty common for villains in this kind of manga and would be pretty disappointing, partly because it allows the heroes to just dismiss anything he says as the ravings of a tragic crazy person. If it's the former, the heroes would have to actually address his arguments and philosophy.
I think we just read Ytlaya's post two different ways and agree on the same things otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
To clear up confusion (sort of), it looks like Stain's quirk is indeed the "licking your blood" thing--you can't see it as clearly in the FA scan, but Stain did manage to nick Deku just barely. Deku's comment is that he's realizing that he wasn't paralyzed until Stain actually licked the knife.

So Stain can get healthcare after all!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

To clear up confusion (sort of), it looks like Stain's quirk is indeed the "licking your blood" thing--you can't see it in the FA scan, but Stain did manage to nick Deku just barely.

Yeah, whatever filters they're using to clean up the scans degrade the small details horribly. They even erased Stain's eyes in the first panel when he gets hit so he looks blank eyed. Stain got a small scratch in Deku as he was lunging underneath him with the combat knife, hence why he's smiling so much when he gets smashed - he's already won at that point.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
FA's scanlations are just getting worse and worse, huh? The issue with the One For All "ghosts", then stuff like this, plus the drop in translation quality; it's a shame that Power Manga stopped their translations.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 27, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Personally I just hope Stain isn't a one-and-done because I like him way more than Shigaraki as an antagonist.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

TriffTshngo posted:

Personally I just hope Stain isn't a one-and-done because I like him way more than Shigaraki as an antagonist.
TBF it seems like the primary theme of this work is going to be education so Shigaraki should come into his own eventually, hopefully.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twiddy posted:

TBF it seems like the primary theme of this work is going to be education so Shigaraki should come into his own eventually, hopefully.

So My Hero Academia is the Assassination Classroom of Shounen Jump.

Or would be, if AssClass wasn't already the AssClass of Shounen Jump.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm not sure Stain will get much backstory beyond thinking most heroes are bullshit. I doubt this is going to go the One Piece route where like 99% of the badguys get redeemed either by being beaten up or by being secretly tragic figures.

Still waiting for that thing that Narrator Midoriya says he "regrets", unless it's just Iida being an angsty retard after he gets saved by him and Todoroki.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I'm not sure Stain will get much backstory beyond thinking most heroes are bullshit. I doubt this is going to go the One Piece route where like 99% of the badguys get redeemed either by being beaten up or by being secretly tragic figures.

Still waiting for that thing that Narrator Midoriya says he "regrets", unless it's just Iida being an angsty retard after he gets saved by him and Todoroki.

That's really dependent on whether the author gets forced to do that or not. Almost every one of his villains are misunderstood in both his works (Zoo, Bulge). Even the most "evil" character in Zoo, the Bear, ended up being a little redeemed in the extra chapter that was released after the final one. Bulge's villain ended up rejoining the kingdom with the happy ending. Hell even whaleboy, who was horrifyingly selfish and killed someone, got a bit of redemption and possible change.

I think the villains are going to have tragic backstories just as much as the heroes, it's just there's no way for Stain to ever become a hero after murdering all these people so he'll be stuck as a villain until he dies. Same with Shigaraki.

Also, totes calling it that Iida gets someone killed or himself maimed pretty horribly. He's becoming a real poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm imagining Iida will end his friendship with Midoriya, and either get expelled from/quit Yuuei or something along those lines. Aizawa got a panel where he seemed like he might've guessed Iida's intentions with the office he chose to work at so I imagine he's in deep poo poo when they get back to school.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I don't know, simply running off to confront Stain with everything turning out well in the end would just be one of those ~*~*~ learning experiences ~*~*~ without any consequences. Something pretty bad would have to happen like someone being seriously harmed or in danger. Something like maybe his mentor from the office gets smashed up by the Nomus and it's basically Iida's fault for running away and not doing what he was supposed to.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guys, be sure to take this week's WSJ survey and vote for your favorite character Tsuyu Froppy.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 28, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's really dependent on whether the author gets forced to do that or not. Almost every one of his villains are misunderstood in both his works (Zoo, Bulge). Even the most "evil" character in Zoo, the Bear, ended up being a little redeemed in the extra chapter that was released after the final one. Bulge's villain ended up rejoining the kingdom with the happy ending. Hell even whaleboy, who was horrifyingly selfish and killed someone, got a bit of redemption and possible change.

I think the villains are going to have tragic backstories just as much as the heroes, it's just there's no way for Stain to ever become a hero after murdering all these people so he'll be stuck as a villain until he dies. Same with Shigaraki.

Also, totes calling it that Iida gets someone killed or himself maimed pretty horribly. He's becoming a real poo poo.

They've already raised the possibility of redeeming Shigaraki. It'd be a bitch to do, but I do reckon that'll actually be an arc.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Oh, in other news, apparently someone edited the edit I did and made it even better. The filename I got for it was "IfIcouldkick1000dekus"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Guys, be sure to take this week's WSJ survey and vote for your favorite character Tsuyu Froppy.
Got a link?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Got a link?

http://www.shonenjump.viz.com/issue-survey

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I think it's cool non-Japanese readers are finally getting the chance to weigh in on a popularity poll.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now Tsuyu will win twice as much.

Please, I just think it'd be hilarious if the main character didn't win the popularity poll for once.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm voting for Fumikage because he's the epitome of cool.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

Now Tsuyu will win twice as much.

Please, I just think it'd be hilarious if the main character didn't win the popularity poll for once.

Main characters frequently don't win these things. I think for HxH's polls Killua and Kurapika were ahead of Gon, as an example off the top of my head. The "cool" characters frequently triumph over the leads, from what I've seen.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bad Seafood posted:

I think it's cool non-Japanese readers are finally getting the chance to weigh in on a popularity poll.

I concur, the Japanese fanbase's character popularity opinions always seemed really bizarre in places in WSJ. like how Iruka was in like the top 12 most popular Naruto characters the whole time even though he only did like two things in the entire run of the story.

Hmm. I don't read a bunch of these when it comes to ordering most>least favourite... but I cannot in good conscience put Bleach on this list

I voted for Baron Explodokill.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 28, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You can put less than 4. I only put MHA because I only read MHA, One Piece, and OPM in the magazine and two of those weren't in the issue.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's also really easy to stuff the ballot box.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The only thing I read in WSJ is Hero Academia so that's the only thing I ranked.

FAKE EDIT: And One-Punch Man, but that wasn't an option.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My Hero Academia: Vote For The Frog

KoB
May 1, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Main characters frequently don't win these things. I think for HxH's polls Killua and Kurapika were ahead of Gon, as an example off the top of my head. The "cool" characters frequently triumph over the leads, from what I've seen.

Luffy in One Piece is one of the few main characters that actually hit #1 every time.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I remember correctly, in YuYu Hakusho Hiei was not going to appear after his initial appearance, but was insanely popular in polls so he was turned into a main character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If only more people could have voted for Leorio.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bad Seafood posted:

If only more people could have voted for Leorio.

I would have voted 20 times a day if it meant more Leorio.

Good news is he looks like one of the main characters for the current arc :suicide:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Looking forward to the Dark Continent OVA in 2032.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, we've passed a year, so the series is pretty much set for life! :toot:

I can't wait for the anime in like three years!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there anyway to read consecutive chapters of series rather than an entire new issue each time?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you're talking about WSJ, wait for digital volume releases! Otherwise no!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well thats poo poo. WHy are they incapable of providing an easy to read format for stuff you want. Webtoons is free and other than some initial issues with it not being sized for pc browsers its good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Probably a licensing thing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Typically it's whomever the token bishounen is, the MC, then flip between the female lead, the rival, or a particularly popular villain if there is one.

Unless it's like Eyeshield 21, where I think Hiruma won every single time because he is the best character.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Typically it's whomever the token bishounen is, the MC, then flip between the female lead, the rival, or a particularly popular villain if there is one.

Unless it's like Eyeshield 21, where I think Hiruma won every single time because he is the best character.

Actually, this has me curious who's going to win here. Todoroki is the closest to the "cool guy"/bishounen but isn't as "main" a character as Iida, Uraraka, or Bakugou, All Might is cool but I doubt he has broad appeal among hte primary demographics of this, and as much as I like him I don't think Shigaraki's going to garner many votes either. Midoriya may take first, though I'm not thinking he will either. Really, I can think of a lot of reasons a given person won't be first, but can't really decide who I think will be there.

Tsuyu would definitely be a good one, though. She's one of the ones I'd definitely support getting it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the name of the girl with crosshairs for eyes who swindles Iida into a product demonstration during the tournament? She's definitely the best character.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

fadam posted:

What's the name of the girl with crosshairs for eyes who swindles Iida into a product demonstration during the tournament? She's definitely the best character.

Hatsume Mei. She does, in fact, own.

I went with Uraraka but it was a tough choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Are there enough English translation readers to swing this poll, or will the voting might of Japan render our superior view point moot?