Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Nagel paintings are missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Keyser S0ze posted:

Nagel paintings are missing.

Nice, might be a smidgeon early but nice recall.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

wormil posted:

When I watch this it doesn't feel 80's to me. There are touches here and there like Joe's Miami Vice garb, and Cameron's belly shirts (someone give the poor girl a bra already), Donna's 70's clock, the disco scene. I'm not saying the decorations and clothing are inaccurate but there is something missing for me, maybe the attitudes.
The hairstyles don't look different from today at all. You're definitely right about the weird lack of a period look.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Is Gordon going to wander around a parking garage confused for the hour?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
What happened? Was that like a DDoS attack?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

FourLeaf posted:

What happened? Was that like a DDoS attack?

It was Gordon's program from earlier in the season that screwed them.

edit: also Joe's wife is still terrible

kdrudy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 27, 2015

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Ohhh. Wow. I completely forgot about that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Lol Cameron is going to strike it rich with Nintendo. This is like mary sue fanfic at its worst.

I will accept nothing less then Boz as President of Nintendo America to redeem this show.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 27, 2015

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Gordo being trapped in Cameron's game, not knowing if he should head East or West, was amazing

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Capntastic posted:

Gordo being trapped in Cameron's game, not knowing if he should head East or West, was amazing

Wait was that what the entire Gordon plot was this episode? I was sitting here trying to figure out what they were doing with him.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

ThaGrandCow posted:

Wait was that what the entire Gordon plot was this episode? I was sitting here trying to figure out what they were doing with him.

No, because that would require a level of artfulness and thought about the character's arc.

I really have no idea what they're doing with Gordo. Like most characters on this show, I have to try to come up with cartoonish rationale for their actions.

Edit: I like this episode's tacit admission that they should have kept the characters together instead of all over the place doing their own things that don't really interact in interesting ways.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

^^drat, I was going to watch it again and appreciate it/see what I missed. Oh well.

I said it a week or two ago, I just do not care about Gordon at all this season. It feels like they're shoehorning him into the plot just so his character stays around (actor has a contract I'm sure), but it's a really lovely plot. He made and lost a computer company after making $10-20k profit on a pseudo-Dell, but then loses the company. So he throws a little more cash on the giant pile he got in the premier. I don't give a poo poo. And he's got some disease that I also don't care about. I would have been happier if they'd pulled a DS9 Keiko: Gordon gets a job on another planet/state and is gone for 2 years, totally off the show until the character is actually useful to the plot.

Next week is the season finale, and I seriously doubt they're going to redeem the entire boring Gordon plotline. I'm guessing he uses some of his riches that he's just kind of sitting on to fund Mutiny. Also I was really happy he was growing the beard again, his shaved face just looks like another corporate flunkie. Yet here we are again, shaved Gordon. It's nitpicky as gently caress, but he just looks so much better with a beard.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I liked the usage of Joy Division in this episode. I don't like how Gordon's arc is effectively dead.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's amazing how nothing has happened for the past episodes short of everyone continuing to flail around with their heads off - Gordon more than figuratively.

Just save us all and do a spin-off with Donna, after Gordon dies, and the kids move in with with Dexter's kids' grandparents.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ufarn posted:

It's amazing how nothing has happened for the past episodes short of everyone continuing to flail around with their heads off - Gordon more than figuratively.

Just save us all and do a spin-off with Donna, after Gordon dies, and the kids move in with with Dexter's kids' grandparents.

This season can be summed up in less then 100 words.

Cameron runs her business poorly and needs adults to help her out. Joe has a great idea but faces resistance so he does it illegally but succeeds. Gordon has brain damage and is losing it. Donna is pregnant then not pregnant causing drama. Joe gets "Joe'd" by his boss and father in law. Cameron loses the company and her love by being a spoiled raging child. Boz continues to Boz even harder then before.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

pentyne posted:

This season can be summed up in less then 100 words.

Cameron runs her business poorly and needs adults to help her out. Joe has a great idea but faces resistance so he does it illegally but succeeds. Gordon has brain damage and is losing it. Donna is pregnant then not pregnant causing drama. Joe gets "Joe'd" by his boss and father in law. Cameron loses the company and her love by being a spoiled raging child. Boz continues to Boz even harder then before.

But Cameron saved her company in the end (well so far), and she actual does the right thing, instead of being all punk rock about it. Yes Cam can be hard to take, but I saw last week's episode as a step forward for her business wise (and maybe a step back love life wise).

Do you think we will see an improved Gordon next season (if there is one)? That they are going to use his psychological issues as an excuse for a lot of his behavior late this season?

I like this season. There are 2 shows I watched that might not get another season, this and Hannibal. I am to the point I would rather this come back instead of Hannibal. Part of it is I know the story of Hannibal (show is different, but I've read all the books) enough that closure isn't that important, while there is nothing but unknown here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Amazingly enough, I thought one of the most poignant parts of this season was the 'old flame's' reaction to Gordon's sob story.

"Wow, that sucks but how is it my problem" is an even shorter way to sum up this season.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WebDog posted:

That site reminds me that there is genuinely very little that really is worth keeping from the 80's as a style beyond perhaps a few striking art prints. Perhaps some of the more striking art-deco revival stuff could be kept around - if you like polishing brass every month. Mauve, green and pin pastel stuff really do deserve to be piled up and burnt.
Have you ever seen Manhunter?

nate fisher posted:

Do you think we will see an improved Gordon next season (if there is one)? That they are going to use his psychological issues as an excuse for a lot of his behavior late this season?
When you say "improved Gordon" all I see in my mind is his face Photoshopped over Mecha-Hitler's.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Of course Joe blows up Westnet, just like he burned the first truck of Giants. If someone does something when he's around and he didn't do it, THEN IT MUST BURN.

Season 3 idea: Everyone not Boz, Donna, Gordon, and fine Joe I guess leaves for California never to be seen again. Gordon starts taking meds and that plot is dropped. Then those guys build something great. The end.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Factor Mystic posted:

Of course Joe blows up Westnet, just like he burned the first truck of Giants. If someone does something when he's around and he didn't do it, THEN IT MUST BURN.
He didn't, though. He's just an idiot and shoves disks into production machines without inspecting them first.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Amazingly enough, I thought one of the most poignant parts of this season was the 'old flame's' reaction to Gordon's sob story.

"Wow, that sucks but how is it my problem" is an even shorter way to sum up this season.
It really was a season of couples being completely oblivious to the problems and hardships of their partner.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
my biggest problem with the season is how none of the characters know what a BBS is. By 1985 Dallas would have dozens if not hundreds of BBS and BBS from all over the USA were popular. To think that Mutiny started "community" and that Joe seeing it saw the future is pretty stupid. If Mutiny was a BBS system that was trying to sell subscriptions based off of games that would make sense. Being an "online" game company that accidentally creates online chatting is insufferable. The characters like Joe and Cameron mention E-mail which grew out of BBS systems sending messages at delayed times instead of being just direct person-to-person communication. To name drop Nintentdo but be oblivious to bulletin board systems makes the show hard to watch. But I suppose a "texas-tech" company making a laptop computer in season 1 is just as stupid and I watched that.

Season 3 has Gordo fixing his "game-matching" program and turn it into a "word-matching" program and thus inventing Lexus-Nexus or Dogpile or maybe Ask Jeeves. Gordo makes another stack of money, does a bunch of drugs, and crashes a Ferrari like in Wolf of Wall Street

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

No Luck Needed posted:

and crashes a Ferrari like in Wolf of Wall Street

Uh, that was a lambo.Were you even watching the movie?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Halt and Catch Fire has been nominated for an Emmy, apparently. Definitely not for writing, they're up for a technical Emmy for the main title sequence. I was really confused when AMC ran that promo with clips of the AMC shows that got nominated in it, and saw a clip of Joe and Gordon.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Well, if they get a 3rd season then they can technically say "Award Winning show Halt and Catch Fire" and hopefully bump up the viewers a bit.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

When you say "improved Gordon" all I see in my mind is his face Photoshopped over Mecha-Hitler's.

I see Gordon with a fuller beard.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Well, if they get a 3rd season then they can technically say "Award Winning show Halt and Catch Fire" and hopefully bump up the viewers a bit.

I did the read the last episode was the highest rated episode since the season premiere, so there is hope.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I did the read the last episode was the highest rated episode since the season premiere, so there is hope.

"Maybe the finale will be good, compelling television and *not* make me skip fast forwarding through the commercials so I can have more time to lower my expectations for an engaging story and drama."

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

No Luck Needed posted:

my biggest problem with the season is how none of the characters know what a BBS is. By 1985 Dallas would have dozens if not hundreds of BBS and BBS from all over the USA were popular. To think that Mutiny started "community" and that Joe seeing it saw the future is pretty stupid. If Mutiny was a BBS system that was trying to sell subscriptions based off of games that would make sense. Being an "online" game company that accidentally creates online chatting is insufferable. The characters like Joe and Cameron mention E-mail which grew out of BBS systems sending messages at delayed times instead of being just direct person-to-person communication. To name drop Nintentdo but be oblivious to bulletin board systems makes the show hard to watch. But I suppose a "texas-tech" company making a laptop computer in season 1 is just as stupid and I watched that.

Season 3 has Gordo fixing his "game-matching" program and turn it into a "word-matching" program and thus inventing Lexus-Nexus or Dogpile or maybe Ask Jeeves. Gordo makes another stack of money, does a bunch of drugs, and crashes a Ferrari like in Wolf of Wall Street

I think the major plots of both seasons are pretty solid - season 1 is essentially Compaq and season 2 is AOL but Cameron should be a Gabe Newell type.

Also, I really loved the phone call from Japan in the most recent episode. President of Nintendo is calling their American operations for small talk!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Boz is the only redeeming feature left in this show. I'm completely tuned out of everyone else's story arcs which is a shame because I thought the first two or three episodes of this season were good and showed potential, much like the first season. I'm ready to pack it up after the finale.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Octy posted:

Boz is the only redeeming feature left in this show. I'm completely tuned out of everyone else's story arcs which is a shame because I thought the first two or three episodes of this season were good and showed potential, much like the first season. I'm ready to pack it up after the finale.

For some reason the problems I have this show are easy for me to look past, and some problems others find with the show I don't see. Even after binge watching season 1 on Netflix I was surprised to read the criticism about that season. Yes it does have issues, but my favorite show of all-time Six Feet Under had tons of issues (anything about Lisa). Maybe like SFU, this show just clicks with me. Is it because I grew-up in the 80's or that I love tech stories a little too much (Silicon Valley currently is my favorite comedy)? Hell if I know, but this just works for me.

Edit: To be clear I am not saying that this show is on the level of SFU, or that SFU is the greatest show quality wise (it wouldn't even make my top 5). It's just certain shows just click with a person despite their flaws.

Well it is all subjective.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 31, 2015

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Why is everyone (or several people at least) assuming that the Japanese-owned company is supposed to be Nintendo itself and not (say) Bandai/Konami/Capcom/whomever? I assumed it was supposed to be someone like that just because of the scale of the operation, also they've already explicitly said Nintendo is Nintendo so in the sliding scale of historical reality here you can't really erase Nintendo, but you could probably erase Data East.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Edge & Christian posted:

Why is everyone (or several people at least) assuming that the Japanese-owned company is supposed to be Nintendo itself and not (say) Bandai/Konami/Capcom/whomever? I assumed it was supposed to be someone like that just because of the scale of the operation, also they've already explicitly said Nintendo is Nintendo so in the sliding scale of historical reality here you can't really erase Nintendo, but you could probably erase Data East.

In the conversation in Japanese she asks him how the weather is in Kyoto.

Translated the conversation is:

Hello, Mr. Kodama! How are you?
I am fine!
Is the weather in Kyoto to your liking?
I see.
Yes, the work is going quite well!
Ok, goodbye!

Meanwhile the time difference is something like 14 or 15 hours so you have some important person calling from Kyoto, Japan in the middle of the night to make small talk. It was a really ham-fisted way of saying this is a front for Nintendo. And then you have Bozworth noting they are headquartered in Redmond.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Did Nintendo have anything in Texas? Only thing I can think of is Retro Studies, but that wasn't until the late 90's and started out as an independent studio.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ned posted:

In the conversation in Japanese she asks him how the weather is in Kyoto.

Translated the conversation is:

Hello, Mr. Kodama! How are you?
I am fine!
Is the weather in Kyoto to your liking?
I see.
Yes, the work is going quite well!
Ok, goodbye!

Meanwhile the time difference is something like 14 or 15 hours so you have some important person calling from Kyoto, Japan in the middle of the night to make small talk. It was a really ham-fisted way of saying this is a front for Nintendo. And then you have Bozworth noting they are headquartered in Redmond.
Well, I was wrong then!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Edge & Christian posted:

The distribution routes and they've already mentioned Nintendo this season.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want quality period details without terrible annoying 80's nostalgia in a show that is very good, watch The Americans.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

If you want quality period details without terrible annoying 80's nostalgia in a show that is very good, watch The Americans.

God, yes. They *really* do their homework, down to using period-correct commercials (Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, where they evidently live) on the television and even using correct streets in the District and surrounding counties. They even got streets right up in Frederick.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes.
The film draws very heavily from the geometrics, hyper-white and block colours and styling of of the time and works to it's strengths of using clashing colours to really unsettle you in pretty much every shot. It works as it knows it wants to be an expressionistic film in it's atmosphere and even the horrid synth soundtrack mostly works to push you further into the character's pyche with all sorts of odd mixes of colours that unsettle you - like Hannibal's glowing purple sink or Dollarhyde's ghoulish 50's tack-fest of a house vs everyone else who seems to live in a pristine white 80's magazine.

Great interview with Dante Spinotti about developing that look for the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9OyVIQZgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

cheerfullydrab posted:

If you also want a show that's tediously boring, watch The Americans.

• Locked thread