Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: Sponsor Updates! :siren:

Hawk Wargames
is another returning sponsor!
Their Facebook page

Hawk Wargames produce the highly-rated Dropzone Commander, a 10mm scale (railroad N scale) ground combat game, as well as the hugely anticipated DropFLEET Commander, an orbital space fleet game that will tie into the ground operations that Dropzone Commander replicates. Hawk will be donating a complete starter set for a single army for one of our talented Grand Prize winners!

:siren: :siren: AND!!! :siren: :siren:

Secret Weapon Miniatures
is another NEW sponsor!
Their Facebook page

Producers of the finest gaming bases and accessories you can find online Secret Weapon Miniatures has graciously taken on the mantle of a Grand Prize sponsor in their inaugural campaign with us! In addition to a $100 (USD) Grand Prize, Secret Weapon will also give EVERY Oath Thread participant a unique promotional discount code that they will be able to use every month, so you'll be able to get extra bases (or whatever!) from them every month as you build up your army, or try out new designs and accessories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Also, started that Wordpress page that's far more sponsor-friendly than this thread, and much easier to maintain (which means it'll get maintained): https://somethingawfuloaththread.wordpress.com/ It's just a summation of the rules and a monthly post about the Judge's picks, plus sponsor announcements so they know they're appreciated.

We presently have 9 Grand Prize sponsors I can trust to actually provide prizes (not going to mention any names of companies that very badly let us down over the past couple of years!), and it would be GREAT to have a 10th prize sponsor so we can have a nice round number. If anyone knows of a company, goon, person at game/model/accessory place, etc., that might be willing to chuck out a prize or two, please get in touch with them and ask - if they're happy to talk, give them my email address! it's krushgroove169@gmail.com. Or tell me to contact them and let them know I'll be in touch, etc.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Getting Secret Weapon as a sponsor is awesome news!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It got me to visit their page, where I learned that I apparently get a 10% discount as former military! Which is awesome since most places do active duty and retired only.

I'm definitely going to be picking up some of their objective tokens for Chain of Command jump-off makers. Those question mark creates are perfect for the Schrodinger boxes they represent.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, having been driven slightly mad during the construction of this project, oath to paint the following: (1) Steamborg Executioner, (2) Steampunk Arachnids, (1) hand-made flag assembly and a portion of (1) Reaper Bones Blacksmith! The pewter minis are from the original metal Miners & Steamfitters Union (Ramos) crew box set for Malifaux, Wyrd Miniatures, 28mm. I'll be using the anvil from the Bones blacksmith as a topper for the flagpole, for which I'm attempting this month's technical challenge.

You might notice that there is some greenstuff on the Steamborg, specifically building up the feet (to hold pins for stability) and the conversion of an added sleeveless t-shirt on the torso. The t-shirt dates back to my aborted attempts to put it together last year. I also added a "thumb" in white plasticard to the Steamborg's right claw.
Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any photos of this model pre-conversion; I hope that's not going to be an issue. The original design without conversions looks like this (not my pic):

I guess let me know if there are any issues with this....

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Very nice to paint, just about the right amount of detail, and found the exposure controls on my phone, so the brightness is less screwy. For some reason I've got a bit of artifacting on the faces, probably from Photoshop's image size compression.

And claiming I rolled a 6! for the ball marker (that's still a thing, right?).

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I WhiteOutMouse Oath 1 GW Maulerfiend and 3 custom objectives. GW, 28mm on 120 oval base, objectives GW bits on 40mm (poker chips).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Excellent news on the sponsors!

Anyway, time for me to finally get around to Oathing month now the move's finished and my painting area's set up again.

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for July 2015:
1 Savage Orc Boss from Avatars of War, 1 Captain Spanner and Poledancer from Hasslefree Miniatures, 1 High Elf Banner from Games Workshop, all 28mm.

Hopefully the pic's OK for Oathing, new phone and the lighting's different.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATHING FOR JULY: One Reaper Miniatures Succubus

Because christmas in july!

I do have a question about this month's theme as well; would it be reasonable as a theme challenge to decorate the big present with a flag? I was thinking of the doing the Canadian one freehand on it specifically, as it fits the theme what with Canada day having been this month and the colours are christmas themed too!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Oath Complete:

The bait:

Patriotism ahoy

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I counterspin, oath Dahlia and Skarath, from the Minions faction of Hordes by Privateer Press

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Yay for sponsors! And go faster red!

Now as Ras and Ninja dudes are pretty much done I probably have time to tackle the dynamic duo.

Oath Addition! I Ugleb hereby oath Arkham City Batman & Arkham City Robin for the Batman Miniatures Game. 32mm scale by Knight Models.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Oath for July 1 Dwarf Banner Bearer (Games Workshop).

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Oath Complete! 11 Kayazy Assassins (I hate hate hate painting units) and 6 flags, which qualifies me for the Aetherium Flag challenge. Go me!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oath Complete:siren:
Claiming the July challenge and Apprentice (with Spring Cleaning already counted earlier this month).

Aetherium models. Could have really used a highlight on the big dude... really need to practice highlight black skin.

Drake hounds, tried some glowing effects in the spawn points mouths that turned out alright!

Flag Bearers! The skin on the chibi lady turned out splotchy in the photo for some reason. I like the model despite the boob window. The other model bought his khakis at the Gap.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Calling it Oath Complete for this month

I may do some touchups later but it's finished for all practical purposes.

The Challenge is, hopefully, obvious. :shepface:

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Oath Complete

That was pretty motivating.
Not sure if I'll do next month, as so many of the next things I want to paint are half-finished projects I started a year or two ago.
But I'll certainly do another oath next time I start something from scratch.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I, Kerzoro, Oath for for the month of July - 1 Vera Krabbenhöft, Battle Standard. (28mm, Raging Heroes)
And I'm aiming for Speed Painting, where not finishing before July 20th ends is meaningless! :black101:

Let's get to work!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It's been a while since I did one of these, so what the heck! :v:

I, Sydney Bottocks, Oath for July: 1 Black Tree Designs WW2 German infantry mortar team (mortar, 2 crew, & spotter) and 1 BTD WW2 German infantry LMG team (gunner and loader).

(from left to right: mortar spotter, mortar & crew, machine gunner, machine gun reloader)

The figures are just primed and basecoated only, no other colors are present. Not expecting to win anything, but it'll be a good motivator to help get my brother's Bolt Action army done for him. :c00l:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 20, 2015

Germ
May 7, 2013

Arson Fire posted:

Oath Complete

That was pretty motivating.
Not sure if I'll do next month, as so many of the next things I want to paint are half-finished projects I started a year or two ago.
But I'll certainly do another oath next time I start something from scratch.

Given the quality of this offering, I really, really hope you oath more. This is a scary-as-hell, bad-rear end, well-painted bug-monster.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

And my Theme + Technical this doofus with the flag of my home state, one of my favorite places on earth, Kentucky. I don't know what's in those crates and barrels, but it's probably booze and guns.

Rolled a 6!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Oath Complete!
Also claiming Speed Painting!

I think I would have been done earlier but I hit a snag when I began painting and the flagpole promptly fell off the figure. :v: added the rocks at that time since after I glued it back together it wouldn't... stand... up.

ANYWAY.

Why was it important for me to finish today? Because the USA is not the only country that celebrates it's independence day on July.

Colombia celebrates on July 20 :patriot: (... wrong flag but I think you get it).

Based the colors of her uniform on the ones most commonly associated with Simon Bolivar. Aka this guy:

I don't think he had modern guns or a facial mask but eh.

... also, Aetherium Flag. Just in case :D

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Turns out I had a single model with a banner, so
Oath addition! 1 15mm space pig-ork. From god know where.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath addition! I just finished up the dragons so let's see if I can squeeze in this LotR objective marker before heading to Gen Con. No idea who made it, was a door prize from the 2009 Adepticon.

nesbit37 posted:

i, nesbit37, oath for July smaug from Games workshop for BotFA and 4 dragons from Dark Sword Miniatures. I'm not sure what scale the dark sword dragons are supposed to be but since they are the same size as smaug and I am painting them for use in a 10mm game I am going to say 10mm.

I will be doing some oath additions if I can. I have three conferences this month to travel to and I just moved so let's see what I can squeak in for July.

Seamoose
May 30, 2015
OATH COMPLETED!

My 15mm skeletons are going to be used in an icy setting and since I accidentally frosted them when I sealed them, they will probably just stay frosty. Happy accidents

The riphorn came out looking real nice however this is the best picture I could get.

I also made some Flags for my favorite and wholly best scenerio in Warmachine "incursion" These will be the July Technical Challenge, I rolled a 6 and the Aetherium Flag bonus

The center and right flags are made from GW ogre bits I got from a friend and the left flag is a Rackham Orc Banner

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, having been driven slightly mad during the construction of this project, oath to paint the following: (1) Steamborg Executioner, (2) Steampunk Arachnids, (1) hand-made flag assembly and a portion of (1) Reaper Bones Blacksmith! The pewter minis are from the original metal Miners & Steamfitters Union (Ramos) crew box set for Malifaux, Wyrd Miniatures, 28mm. I'll be using the anvil from the Bones blacksmith as a topper for the flagpole, for which I'm attempting this month's technical challenge.

You might notice that there is some greenstuff on the Steamborg, specifically building up the feet (to hold pins for stability) and the conversion of an added sleeveless t-shirt on the torso. The t-shirt dates back to my aborted attempts to put it together last year. I also added a "thumb" in white plasticard to the Steamborg's right claw.
Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any photos of this model pre-conversion; I hope that's not going to be an issue. The original design without conversions looks like this (not my pic):

I guess let me know if there are any issues with this....
You're all good!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I WhiteOutMouse Oath 1 GW Maulerfiend and 3 custom objectives. GW, 28mm on 120 oval base, objectives GW bits on 40mm (poker chips).

Zark the Damned posted:

Excellent news on the sponsors!

Anyway, time for me to finally get around to Oathing month now the move's finished and my painting area's set up again.

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for July 2015:
1 Savage Orc Boss from Avatars of War, 1 Captain Spanner and Poledancer from Hasslefree Miniatures, 1 High Elf Banner from Games Workshop, all 28mm.

Hopefully the pic's OK for Oathing, new phone and the lighting's different.

Ledgem posted:

OATHING FOR JULY: One Reaper Miniatures SuccubusBecause christmas in july!

I do have a question about this month's theme as well; would it be reasonable as a theme challenge to decorate the big present with a flag? I was thinking of the doing the Canadian one freehand on it specifically, as it fits the theme what with Canada day having been this month and the colours are christmas themed too!
Sounds great!

counterspin posted:

I counterspin, oath Dahlia and Skarath, from the Minions faction of Hordes by Privateer Press

Ugleb posted:

Yay for sponsors! And go faster red!

Now as Ras and Ninja dudes are pretty much done I probably have time to tackle the dynamic duo.

Oath Addition! I Ugleb hereby oath Arkham City Batman & Arkham City Robin for the Batman Miniatures Game. 32mm scale by Knight Models.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Oath for July 1 Dwarf Banner Bearer (Games Workshop).

head58 posted:

Oath Complete! 11 Kayazy Assassins (I hate hate hate painting units) and 6 flags, which qualifies me for the Aetherium Flag challenge. Go me!
Go you!

Kerzoro posted:

I, Kerzoro, Oath for for the month of July - 1 Vera Krabbenhöft, Battle Standard. (28mm, Raging Heroes)
And I'm aiming for Speed Painting, where not finishing before July 20th ends is meaningless! :black101:

Let's get to work!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's been a while since I did one of these, so what the heck! :v:

I, Sydney Bottocks, Oath for July: 1 Black Tree Designs WW2 German infantry mortar team (mortar, 2 crew, & spotter) and 1 BTD WW2 German infantry LMG team (gunner and loader).

(from left to right: mortar spotter, mortar & crew, machine gunner, machine gun reloader)

The figures are just primed and basecoated only, no other colors are present. Not expecting to win anything, but it'll be a good motivator to help get my brother's Bolt Action army done for him. :c00l:
Welcome back!

Electric Hobo posted:

Turns out I had a single model with a banner, so
Oath addition! 1 15mm space pig-ork. From god know where.

nesbit37 posted:

oath addition! I just finished up the dragons so let's see if I can squeeze in this LotR objective marker before heading to Gen Con. No idea who made it, was a door prize from the 2009 Adepticon.
Oaths Accepted!

I'm trying to catch up with stuff while I'm away, hopefully I can get the June photo album compiled tonight before I drop dead of tiredness!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath complete! done with these 5 10mm dragons of Middle Earth. I am claiming the July technical challenge and i rolled a 6! For the lotr objective marker. I am claiming Box art for the the red dragon (not smaug).

This guy goes with this box art from the dark sword product page on it:

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/visions-in-fantasy/red-dragon.html

This guy I painted after a male austrailian water dragon:

Germ
May 7, 2013

Germ posted:

OATH ADDITION!!!

I'd like to add these 4 Chaos Summoning circles (made by yours truly) to my oath. They're objective markers that are designed to hold shot glasses, and I need them for a team Fantasy tournament I'm going to this weekend.

Another OATH ADDITION!

I oath this tiny 15mm shield man by Old Glory.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete

Sorry for the lovely pics, house is still a mess after the move and I haven't had chance to set up a decent spot for pics.

Daemonette Standard bearer for my counts-as WHFB Daemon army (I sure timed starting that back up well with AOS out... sigh). Also the Technical Challenge and my Aetherium Flag.

Captain HammerSpanner. Sadly this was the best shot I could get of him as my camera did not want to co-operate. His top's navy blue I swear! Also Box Art I guess?

Savage Orc. Again a pain to photograph, it's much brighter in real life. Painted in fluorescents to represent a 'Waaagh Demon' aka Khorne Herald for when I dabble with summoning/daemonkin allies in 40k. Last pic with Weirdboy for contrast.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete

The cars now look suitably post apocalyptic.

Eagle, Ready to hunt.

The Longbows, Katana's and mortars.

I cannot get a good photo of these guys to save my life, I've been trying for half an hour, but my lightbox got knocked when the inlaw's came down, and something just isn't right. Also, the new matt varnish I've got seems to be leaving more of a sheen than the last lot, while it looks ok on the models, which is playing havoc with my photos.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The cars look great! I look forwards to hiding little man's behind them!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
June photos are here! https://goo.gl/photos/NLrsPRpKjWjreRnb9

Please check to make sure your June Oaths are in here, in the next couple of days I'll be giving the link to the Judges!

ski
Oct 29, 2011

I know I am.
It's late in the month, but...

I, Ski, for the month of July, hereby oath one Storm Troll from Privateer Press.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Germ posted:

Another OATH ADDITION!

Godsdamnit, Krushgroove, I'm sorry for making this month a bookkeeping nightmare, but I'm going to go one more OATH ADDITION. I promise that when I'm done I'll make one cohesive oath completed post with all my stuff gathered in one place.

I'm going to paint these 6 ruined columns and one stone arch, made by me for 28mm models.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Germ posted:

Another OATH ADDITION!

ski posted:

It's late in the month, but...

I, Ski, for the month of July, hereby oath one Storm Troll from Privateer Press.

Germ posted:

Godsdamnit, Krushgroove, I'm sorry for making this month a bookkeeping nightmare, but I'm going to go one more OATH ADDITION. I promise that when I'm done I'll make one cohesive oath completed post with all my stuff gathered in one place.

I'm going to paint these 6 ruined columns and one stone arch, made by me for 28mm models.

No worries, Oath away, OATHS ACCEPTED!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is it a problem if I've not been entered into the July spreadsheet yet, with neither the original oath or the completed one?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Oath Complete!

Just like I mentioned in my original post, painting this put me in a huge dissatisfaction spiral, the paint job is pretty terrible (especially that power klaw) and it just reinforces my drive to not paint. Ugh. On the plus side, I did paint something. Maybe I'll revist the klaw if I ever feel more proficient, but I just don't feel like I can aim the brush and keep it stable enough to hit things like that, but I did want to try. I did get the really noticeable spot on the spikes after I saw it in the picture, at least. Actually looking at the picture makes me see about a million terrible things in higher resolution! :emo:

The 6-pack!

Backstory
Kaptain Badsnaggle had wrangled up the baddest, snazziest, flashiest (uv course) set of Mega-Armor out there from some worthless git Bad Moon (no other Orks could afford Mega-Armor, you see), and Kustomized it up proper, getting rid of that lame Bad Moon on the belt and putting a fancy gold belly plate in, throwing on a righteous Kaptain's hat, planting a proper Jolly Ork on the engine, painting it up in a nice Piratin' Purple and wearing Lucky Blue Pantaloons. Then his grotty team of Rulez Lawyers let him know that Mega-Armor had gotten an upgrade and his set barely qualified him as an 'Ard Boy, let alone a MAN.
"It'll be a moral victree, boyz... we've still got all the teef right? Oi, we spent 'em on the Armor? Maybe... Maybe Nazdreg's hiring..."

July technical challenge maybe? if that Jolly Ork is considered a banner.

thegodofchuck fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 27, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:July oath complete.:siren:

Dwarf close up

and I didn't wimp out, I did the back as well

Claiming theme challenge: paint your nation, state, region, or whatever flag, the best you can

Germ
May 7, 2013

Ok, This is my final ....

:cthulhu: July Oath Complete!!!! :cthulhu:

For easy reference, I'm claiming Speed Painting (the banner pole) , I Rolled a 6! (the objective markers / shot glass coasters), the July Patriotism ahoy! challenge (painting red, white, and blue and freehanding stars on Captain America, and painting a real-life banner pole for my wargaming club). I also really hope my banner qualifies me for the Aetherium Flag prize draw.

First up, here's the new stuff:

Here’s the arch in it’s full glory:

And again with a Warp Spider for scale – the thing is huge!

Like most of my stuff, the arch is designed to be removed in case it gets in the way on the gaming table.

I also used the new style of columns as trade-ins for the doric (ionic?) columns I had done before. Here they are on their own:

And plugged into the ruins base I painted for last month's oath:

I also painted a little tiny 15mm Captain America to use as a leader for my Flames of War army (I mostly play US Armored Infantry). The idea of Cpt. Rogers leading my tiny mans to war against the Red Skull fills me with glee. Hopefully it’ll piss off some purist grognards in the process. The set he came in was by Old Glory, and also contained Thundarr the Barbarian and friends. I’ll have less justification working them into a WWII army, but assaulting Nazis and Russians with Ookla is a justification in and of itself.

The previously-completed pieces are as follows:

Germ posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Thanks a million to Goon signalnoise for the inspiration on the Terrain Megathread. The PVC was scored with a rasp to resemble woodgrain, then rubbed with some burnt umber acrylic, painted in polyshades stain, and rubbed lightly when still damp. Perfect woodgrain effect while still keeping it light, strong, cheap, and plasticky.

The full bannerpole, on it's stand:

Some closeups:

If this is considered a valid oath, I'm going to try and claim speed painting and gaming aid. Speed painting because I painted it quick, and I rolled a 6! because what better gaming accoutrement then a gnarly loving Warhamster banner with which to adorn your gaming club and intimidate your foes at tournaments? I'm also going to try and claim the July Challenge because it's a real-life banner pole. If any of these claims are not legit, please feel free to let me know, and I can grab them later. I recognize it's not a typical oath, but it was goon-inspired and I wanted to share it.

Speed painting proof:

Before:

After:

The banner is actually two printed banners, so that the standard looks the same from either side:

The full deal, in it's epic glory:

And, the objetive markers I completed for this month are here:

Germ posted:

OATH COMPLETE! (again)

And, it turns out that it doesn't take long to dry-brush some grey and white! I'm claiming "I rolled a Six" for these alcohol-holding objective markers.

Finally, for reference, the before picture for the Speed Painting Challenge is here:

Germ posted:

I, Germ, do hearby oath this PVC pipe for the month of July!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oath Complete

Didn't think I was getting this done on time. No name, no special stuff.

• Locked thread