Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
What, they're going to cut down the trees? Nooooo! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Any idea what weapon is in the first tweet? Maybe a new roller of some kind?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really hope Camp Triggerfish is in the next Splatfest. I want to see if those big torches get lit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
objectively freshest gear

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
^^^
It certainly reflects your Avatar.

Anyhoo, Nintendo Europe released some details for the incoming update. One tidbit: You can level up to 50 and rank up to S+.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
From NOE: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201..._source=twitter

quote:

27th July, 2015 – On 6th August, a free software update for Splatoon on Wii U brings a large amount of new content to the game, including two new matchmaking modes, new weapon types, an increase to the game’s level-cap and more than 40 pieces of new gear. Players will now be able to create a winning strategy and fight to be the best and most battle tested squid-squad around.

The new update introduces Squad Battle and Private Battle matchmaking options. In Squad Battle, players can participate in Ranked Battle rule sets with friends, rather than being teamed up with other players through a random selection. After a player creates a squad, friends can be recruited to form a team of two to four Inklings. Friends will always play together on the same team and battle against other squads at random.

In Private Battle, friends can splat it up in private, customisable matches. Two to eight friends can battle together by selecting their favourite map, mode and weapons. The number of participants ranges from 1v1 to 4v4, but teams don’t have to be even: if the host chooses, he or she can select a 1v4, 1v2, or any other combination of players.
With this robust new update also comes an increased level cap in both Regular Battle and Ranked Battle modes. After downloading the software update, players will be able to reach level 50 (raised from level 20) and rank S and S+ in Ranked Battle (both higher than A+).

While Inklings around the world are enjoying and mastering the current arsenal of weapons in Splatoon, two new weapon types will be available with the update, adding a new layer of strategy to the game. The bucket-like Slosher weapons hurl ink straight ahead at an impressive range. By adjusting the angle, these new weapons can be used to splat opponents who are up high or even on the other side of a wall. With the Gatling-style Splatling, players can charge all-powerful ink. A maximum charge unleashes the full potential of this particular weapon type. In addition to the new weapons, more than 40 pieces of gear, including everything from a leather jacket to a sushi-chef costume are coming to the various in-game shops in Splatoon.

Despite its size and scope, this massive August update is not the end of the splat-tacular free content coming to Splatoon. Following this update, more content will continually roll out through the rest of the summer and into autumn, including the Rainmaker Ranked Battle mode, additional maps and new weapons. More details on these additions will be revealed in the future.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 27, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Splatoon: new weapons include splattling gun and ?bucket?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

That's quite the update. I haven't even hit level 20 yet. :stare:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Slosher is not as good a name as Bloblobber :(

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I need that Hawaiian shirt.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Oh god, I'm going down the rabbit hole again. Level 50 here I come~

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I need some friends. Friends who play Splatoon.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

gently caress ink brush, time to become a Bucket bro

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Now just confirm playable octolings, okay please?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Now just confirm playable octolings, okay please?

Please understand.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I wonder how squads matchmake with each other. Like if you get an S+ player together with C- smurfs you could potentially troll some players' ranks.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I wonder if there's going to be new benefits to leveling. Each level up to 20 unlocked a new weapon, correct? 30 new weapons is a lot.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I just want the carbon roller with seekers and bomb rush.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

dude789 posted:

I wonder if there's going to be new benefits to leveling. Each level up to 20 unlocked a new weapon, correct? 30 new weapons is a lot.

Well, they've only announced two new weapons, so not by much.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about those rebrands. We'll see then.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that update text refers to two new weapon types though. so it seems like there will be multiple buckets and gatlings released in that single update.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

Any idea what weapon is in the first tweet? Maybe a new roller of some kind?

Oh, I guess it's the bucket, then. Interesting.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bean posted:

Who the hell likes Walleye Warehouse best?

Me.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Rexroom posted:

What, they're going to cut down the trees? Nooooo! :qq:

Looks like they're moving the trees to the middle, which is a pretty awesome place for them to be. Makes the middle pit less of a death trap and will allow for some cool firefights, plus it'll make for less botched buzzer-beater inkstrikes.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

gently caress, I need to get a squid squad together...too bad my friends don't play Splatoon. Otherwise, very excited for this update! Hopefully I get my new Wii U before then so I can catch up all over again.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

dogsicle posted:

that update text refers to two new weapon types though. so it seems like there will be multiple buckets and gatlings released in that single update.

I think the disc has references to four total buckets at the moment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

Please understand.

That's not funny anymore :negative:.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I am interested in joining some fellow chill internet people to play with regularly as a team. Is there a good way to organize this? maybe a spreadsheet? Info like voice chat preference, availability?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Since they're now letting you team up with friends, it would be really nice if they'd let you go online with two players on the same Wii U, like Mario Kart does. I'm guessing the Wii U can't handle it though or it'd already be in.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Barnyard Protein posted:

I am interested in joining some fellow chill internet people to play with regularly as a team. Is there a good way to organize this? maybe a spreadsheet? Info like voice chat preference, availability?
I'd also be interested in this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They don't do it because it'd create a discrepancy between those who have the gamepad map and those who don't, or so they say.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

i'm loving me some splatoon, even more so since i unlocked ranked yesterday

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

S Rank...whew I don't know if I'll be able to hang there I gotta step up. That's going to be something

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure from reading it whether the Squid Squads will be four people max or if they'll work more like clans in other games.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I think the most surprising thing about this game for me was how well the gyroscope controls work. I basically bought this game expecting to play with them for 5 minutes and then turn them off, but it ended up being far more comfortable than traditional thumbstick aiming. The gyroscope controls let you make small adjustments to your aim easily, much like a mouse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Silentman0 posted:

Top secret, super spoilery info on the paint bucket weapon.

It's called the Bloblobber, there will be 6 different versions of it, and it will be its own classification of weapon, separate from shooters, rollers, and chargers.

The Bob Loblaw Bloblobber.

Escobarbarian posted:

Slosher is not as good a name as Bloblobber :(

Fuuuuuuck.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 27, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I can't wait to see what kind of crazy designs they're going to use to make all these buckets visually distinguishable from each other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, finally got to try Moray Towers and it is a painful slog if the other team has a splat-charger in any form. God help you if it's something with a scope too, especially as every teammate seems to have a poor concept of how to use cover or timing your advance while the fucker's still charging their shot.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, finally got to try Moray Towers and it is a painful slog if the other team has a splat-charger in any form. God help you if it's something with a scope too, especially as every teammate seems to have a poor concept of how to use cover or timing your advance while the fucker's still charging their shot.

moray tower tip: run to the center as fast as possible, and ink up the slope in the top right, shoot ink up the wall, swim up and try to hold that ledge. Best case scenerio, you get there before snipers and prevent them from rooting there. Worst case, you take out a sniper that's already there and get yourself splatted too. The zapper 98 works well because of its high firing rate, the sprinkler sub lets you cover turf on the ledge while you refill and clean up.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Since they're now letting you team up with friends, it would be really nice if they'd let you go online with two players on the same Wii U, like Mario Kart does. I'm guessing the Wii U can't handle it though or it'd already be in.

I'd like that too, but it just wouldn't work because Gyro-controllers have all the advantages. Even the current 1v1 local isn't true PvP, you're popping as many balloons as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
If anything, this might give them incentive to get two of those gamepads working on the same console!

LET ME HAVE THIS! Don't crush my dreams... :negative:

• Locked thread