Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

That looks perfect but being in the UK j can't find the exact same on Amazon.co.uk - can you see it or can I order direct or something?

Edit: will call KR when I get back home also - can you explain a bit further why a 1/4 size case requires two half 1/4's? Is the 1/4 size two layers or just one? Your sketch would indicate two layers bit the surely I would need two 1/2's cut in half to create two pairs? Ah! So complicated!!

Feldherr charge the same postage through amazon as they do through their site; https://www.feldherr.net/

Pretty good, and I ended up keeping the full-size trays I ordered in the packing boxes as they're pretty robust and have useful handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

That looks perfect but being in the UK j can't find the exact same on Amazon.co.uk - can you see it or can I order direct or something?

Edit: will call KR when I get back home also - can you explain a bit further why a 1/4 size case requires two half 1/4's? Is the 1/4 size two layers or just one? Your sketch would indicate two layers bit the surely I would need two 1/2's cut in half to create two pairs? Ah! So complicated!!

I'm certain I'm overcomplicating things, but the 1/4 case comes with trays that fill the whole case. My idea was to split and reverse part of the foam so that taller models can go on one half of the case without sticking out of the foam.

e: The quarter case is basically half the height and half the width of a standard case, so it can only have a quarter of the foam of a standard case - two 1/2 width 1/4 height trays, or a single 1/2 width 1/2 height tray.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 26, 2015

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Anyone here have experience painting ceramic? I got a little ceramic bank as a gift from China and it comes with some cheapo paints but I figure I can airbrush some designs on it.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Xposing from the Infinity thread.

Colour test model from my new Haqqislam project, crappy lighting thrown in free of charge.

I also finished the Pirates (porcs).

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Griminn, a bird man from the first Mierce Kickstarter.

Next up is the Belech demon, also from Mierce.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Does anyone have any idea what kind of putty this guy is using to block off parts of the model while airbrushing in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9f3mjkuhU

edit: Found out it's just poster tack.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 27, 2015

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Been a long time since I've put anything together... minor conversion but due to the sculpt it took nearly 2 hours and I'm still not sure about it.

The standard pose looks like this:

I wanted something more dynamic, I think it looks alright.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
Questions from a stupid newbie:

1. For shading, I'm using heavily-watered down paint instead of an actual ink/wash and it's proving very frustrating. Would I be happier with the real deal? I try painting some on and sometimes nothing happens. I can't tell if it's because it's not dark enough, too watered down, or not enough on the brush.

2. I had an imperial guardsman with his lasgun held close to his chest. It was very difficult to paint the area between the gun and his body. In situations like this, am I supposed to paint the arms/weapon unattached and then stick them on after?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
For the shading: It really depends on what your painting and the colors. I find washes work just fine most of the time, especially for metallic colors. When it comes to "is it good enough" that's your own personal judgement until you want to start getting internet cred and poo poo.

As for painting armpits and chests: sometimes it's easier to paint that stuff while the model isn't fully assembled. It's up to personal choice: paint apart then glue on and risk superglue getting all over a mostly finished piece, or slapping that poo poo together and not worrying about a chest aquila that no one can see anyway?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Really watered down paint isn't going to achieve the same thing as a wash unfortunately. All that's going to happen is that the pigment will separate out and it gets all splotchy and gritty looking. To echo the mantra that tons of people who paint miniatures have said before, wash is talent in a pot. Next to a basic set of paints the best thing you can get is a pot of brown wash and a pot of black wash, so the obvious answer here is to just go ahead and buy a few of them instead of trying to recreate the effect with your paints. The first time you slather a flat looking base-coated miniature with some washes is like loving magic.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

I Am The Scum posted:

Questions from a stupid newbie:

1. For shading, I'm using heavily-watered down paint instead of an actual ink/wash and it's proving very frustrating. Would I be happier with the real deal? I try painting some on and sometimes nothing happens. I can't tell if it's because it's not dark enough, too watered down, or not enough on the brush.

2. I had an imperial guardsman with his lasgun held close to his chest. It was very difficult to paint the area between the gun and his body. In situations like this, am I supposed to paint the arms/weapon unattached and then stick them on after?

1. If you want to keep using thinned paint rather than ready-made washes, you can always pin wash models instead. It's a much more time-consuming method unfortunately, and less fun. On the plus side, if you're careful, you don't need to worry about tidemarks or clean-up.

A ratio of 1:4 paint:thinner should produce a reasonable result. If you're using plain water to thin, I'd suggest grabbing some matte medium or a bottle of airbrush thinner just to add a bit of adhesion to your wash.

2. I used to paint before assembly but after moving to metal models it's just way too much hassle. Unless you're going for a painting award just do the best you can with obscured sections.

Squiggly Beast fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 27, 2015

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Buy the Army Painter Warpaints inks, glop them on, do a spot of cleanup after they've dried if needed, be amazed at how easy it was to get decent results. :v:

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
While we're on the subject of inks and washes, I've finally used up my last bit of Citadel Devlan Mud, which I found produced really great results on just about anything I tried it on. A quick search tells me it's been discontinued for a few years, can anyone recommend a good replacement?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Army Painter Quickshade Wash. Strong or Dark Tone (try both and see which you prefer, they're both good).

GW's Agrax Earthshade is their own replacement.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What's the consensus on using Army Painter strong tone dip followed by dull coat? Stuff is like $35 a can so I'm wondering if just regular brown wash with dull coat will be as good.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It really depends what you're after. The quickshade dip is kinda like a combination wash and gloss varnish in one so it's reasonable for protecting the paintwork afterwards, with their washes they dry matt but there's no built in protection.

If you do use the dip it's better to brush it on with an old brush, and make sure to leave it to dry for at least a week before applying any varnish as it can interact weirdly.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Preeeetty sure that army painter dip is just Minwax they charge an arm and a leg for. Go to Home Depot and spend $7 on a can of your choice and see what you get. That was the old Tyranid dipping technique

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm attempting this color scheme. I used black primer. So I will mostly be painting dark blues and dark greens.

You should have a fun time with that, painting greenish camo colors over black is rather easy and almost always looks great. Those models would make nice Mandrakes, too.

Direwolf posted:

Been a long time since I've put anything together... minor conversion but due to the sculpt it took nearly 2 hours and I'm still not sure about it.

Looks great! Having the arms away from the chest allows more of the detail in the model to show and that fighting stance is very Khorne: all offense and no defense.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Direwolf posted:

The standard pose looks like this:

I wanted something more dynamic, I think it looks alright.

The conversion looks weird to me because how is he going to swing that axe past those horns without popping his own head off...?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Does anyone have a good guide to using green stuff? I'm talking absolute, idiot-level, newbie stuff. I've got the Basius 2 pads coming (hopefully this week) and I've never really worked with GS so I'm really not sure how best to use it. I guess the real question is, do you mix it and let it sit for a bit before pressing into the mold (or applying to a model for gap filling since I've got some of that on my plate too) or is it best to start using it straightaway?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It starts curing right away, so leaving it for a little while will make it a little firmer and a little less sticky, but not much. Leaving it to cure for a long while will make it carvable/sandable, rather than mouldable which can be good for making weapons and such.

For basing pads you're probably fine to coat them with some sort of release agent then just plop fresh GS down onto them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Also, super pro tip: if you've got a bunch of greenstuff mixed and nothing to use it on, throw it in the freezer. It won't cure due to the cold, and if you take it out and let it get to room temp it'll be workable again.

It won't be quite AS good as freshly-mixed GS, but it's better than wasting a bunch of it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
But seriously, if you decide to dip using wood stain or army painter remember to use some goddamn matte varnish afterwards. Go watch the Dr Faust video on army painter quickshade to get an extremely good example why.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

It starts curing right away, so leaving it for a little while will make it a little firmer and a little less sticky, but not much. Leaving it to cure for a long while will make it carvable/sandable, rather than mouldable which can be good for making weapons and such.

For basing pads you're probably fine to coat them with some sort of release agent then just plop fresh GS down onto them.

Excellent, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Does that mean that for gap filling it's best to mold it as much as you can while it's still fresh on the model?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Post 9-11 User posted:

Looks great! Having the arms away from the chest allows more of the detail in the model to show and that fighting stance is very Khorne: all offense and no defense.
Thank you! Yeah my whole Khorne army has a running-forward feel to it and the basic Bloodthirster pose I thought was too static.

thespaceinvader posted:

The conversion looks weird to me because how is he going to swing that axe past those horns without popping his own head off...?

Yeah that's my exact issue with it - the side horns are actually from a different option for the head as I didn't like the straight horns, and I already had to reposition them forward to accommodate for the arms, but if I chop off the top horns it looks too bull-like, visually I think the top horns are important. Maybe he's a magic demon from the Warp and the horns get insubstantial when he needs to make a swing? I actually ended up cutting off a fair amount of each arm to get them to fit in the right position and I had to segment the axe and reassemble it so the hands lined up, so I might have shortened them too much to make them fit? I think it'll be ok once I paint it.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

Excellent, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Does that mean that for gap filling it's best to mold it as much as you can while it's still fresh on the model?

Definitely, and I also suggest using some silicone-tipped clay shapers to wedge the GS into the gap and work it to look like a seamless join.  Those tools have saved my models (after I've dropped them) on multiple occasions.

e: Protip, you'll probably use less greenstuff than you think you'll need when filling gaps. Also, CA glue plus greenstuff equals an excellent bond when pinning.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 27, 2015

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I've been pretty drat productive over the past week. Finished up Thyron from Warmachine, I really like the pants and base, I'm more middling on the armor. In hindsight, I should've spent a lot more time doing real dramatic blends on it, but by the time I figured that out, I was pretty committed to the decent but messy look I've got here. I may pick up another one to try to improve on in the future. The sword is another target for more dramatic blending, but I pretty much punted on it. If I do it over again, I'm leaving it detached so I can have maximum access to all its surfaces. The loincloth is just kind of sculpted ugly, and I'd probably replace it wholesale on a future version.

I also speedpainted a trio of Unidron Batroids for Infinity, rounding out my new Combined Army starter box force. Quick tabletop quality stuff here, but not bad for under 3 hours of work total, I'd say. Given more desire to spend effort on cheap line troops, I'd spend more time highlighting their weird tentacle heads and making the eyes really pop instead of their current "well, they're there, I think".

(full box shot)

Finally, I did some messing around with a weird blending technique that Ben Komets demonstrates in his Painting Buddha videos, and it's surprisingly easy to make work, assuming that you can get the paint consistencies correct, which takes some practice and probably a wet palette. Interested to see where I end up going on the rest of the mini.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Umm... 3 hours!? :aaa:
Mind posting your workflow?

Also, that chestplate NMM looks amazing, I'll have to try it out.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Also, CA glue plus greenstuff equals an excellent bond when pinning.

I've done a tiny bit of that (poorly) and have some more on my repair shelf, including having to rebuilt a wrist on a figure so the hand and staff can reattach (going to try and get someone to do that for me since I have less than no experience or skill at sculpting.)

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I got my Scibor dwarves in the mail from Poland finally. Beautiful (if expensive) miniatures, lots of fun to paint so far. Any tips on beard and hair? Should I go lighter and more dramatic with highlights?

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 28, 2015

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Unidron Workflow: Zenithal prime, white over black. Fleshy regions: two washes of VGA Sanguine Red, wash GW Carroburg Crimson, rough highlight with VGA Bloody Red. Metal stuff: base Scalecolor Black Metal, wash GW Nuln Oil, edge highlight Scalecolor Heavy Metal. Arm stripe: freehand a line of GW Mephiston Red, highlight with GW Bloodletter, then with VMA Flourescent Red. Eyes: Dot with white, glaze with Createx Flourescent Pink (only really successful on one, as I said, this was fast). Guns: Base black, paint upper surfaces a mix of VGC Turquoise and VGC Black, edge highlight white. Base: thin VGC Scurf Green goes under the middle of the model, thin P3 Arcane Blue in the light areas, allow to mix to form a nice natural gradient, drybrush VMC Ivory once it dries, rim black.

In other words, the basic trick is that it's only a few simple colors, base/wash/highlight, and looks kinda meh up close.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I got my Scibor dwarves in the mail from Poland finally. Beautiful (if expensive) miniatures, lots of fun to paint so far. Any tips on beard and hair? Should I go lighter and more dramatic with highlights?

There's a really nice subtle softness to these as is.

What colours are you using? What's the technique? What minis are these?

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
Just got back into the hobby after being out for about half a decade

i had some models from a couple of Fantasy Flight games (Mansions of Madness & Descent) that i wanted to paint up

these are the first models i've ever felt looked competent on any level

i need to work on my highlighting, be less messy with my washes, and figure out eyes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

stabbington posted:

Unidron Workflow: Zenithal prime, white over black. Fleshy regions: two washes of VGA Sanguine Red, wash GW Carroburg Crimson, rough highlight with VGA Bloody Red. Metal stuff: base Scalecolor Black Metal, wash GW Nuln Oil, edge highlight Scalecolor Heavy Metal. Arm stripe: freehand a line of GW Mephiston Red, highlight with GW Bloodletter, then with VMA Flourescent Red. Eyes: Dot with white, glaze with Createx Flourescent Pink (only really successful on one, as I said, this was fast). Guns: Base black, paint upper surfaces a mix of VGC Turquoise and VGC Black, edge highlight white. Base: thin VGC Scurf Green goes under the middle of the model, thin P3 Arcane Blue in the light areas, allow to mix to form a nice natural gradient, drybrush VMC Ivory once it dries, rim black.

In other words, the basic trick is that it's only a few simple colors, base/wash/highlight, and looks kinda meh up close.

Motherfucker! And here I thought it was done by hand with a really good knowledge of light reflections. :argh: Are the Black/Heavy Metal paints actually metallic, or just NMM shades called that? Hard to tell in the photos.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Monster w21 Faces posted:

There's a really nice subtle softness to these as is.

What colours are you using? What's the technique? What minis are these?

Thanks man, I'm just thinning my paints on a wet palette (GW and Vallejo). They are Scibor miniatures, the Dwarven line.

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=1883#i/2013/big/ducal_guard_set_01.jpg

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Would zenthal priming using spray cans and then touching up the highlights with white, followed by a glaze work? I've never really got into glazes at all but seems like a nice way to get vibrancy. I would be painting blues and greens onto PanO infinity models primarily.

Would I just add my color to glaze medium or would it require separate Vallejo glazes?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Would I just add my color to glaze medium or would it require separate Vallejo glazes?
The other way around. You add glaze medium to color, it gives the paint a slightly blurred effect so lazy technique looks miles better without blending :v:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm looking for 7 Warhammer Black Orc armored heads - plastic is fine. I got a bunch of orcs and goblins and a handful of the metal Black Orcs were missing their heads :( If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. I'm in the US for shipping purposes.

Also, if anyone has an Azhag the Slaughterer models they're willing to let go for a reasonable price, I am interested.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Pierzak posted:

The other way around. You add glaze medium to color, it gives the paint a slightly blurred effect so lazy technique looks miles better without blending :v:

Perfect and I can slop it over sprayed zenthal/etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Perfect and I can slop it over sprayed zenthal/etc.?

You don't "slop" glaze-medium glaze like a wash, if that's what you're asking. It's for highlighting and thinning paint so it doesn't run like a wash. It's awesome for highlighting Infinity armor though.