Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Horton with Dual Laser Turret will at least be able to deal some consistent damage at good range that also ignores range bonuses. I expect him to get some good use against things, because even Soontir will lose the war against the laws of averages eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

alg posted:

Rebel Y-Wings are OK with the title and stress bot. Only Gold squadron though. Rebel Y-Wing pilots are basically trash.

Scum Y-Wings are pretty good because they have good Astromechs and good pilots.

What do you do with a gold squadron pilot? Make him into an ion turret boat? Try to get off torpedoes on the first pass?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
R3-A2 and ion cannon turret. Stress + ion every turn.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

fadam posted:

What lists have you been testing?

Vader/Soontir/Carnot and similar permutations. I was playing fat Han and Zs and Corran+dash. I used to be able to reliably kill Vader first for easy points but now it's actually a difficult choice between him and Soontir.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

R3-A2 and ion cannon turret. Stress + ion every turn.

With the title you could get two stress.

I don't think Ys are that bad now, particularly with the title- i've seen a list with 4 syndicate thugs with ions and the title do well at tournaments.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

alg posted:

Jake is an a-wing. Biggs is one of the only viable x-wings.

edit: also obviously it's super silly to say one regional result is a reason not to fix a ship. given that he was playing against Han + Fringer... we have no idea what the competition was like there.

Chicago has a lot of good players and quite a few decent out of towners come in for events so it wasnt like he was winning vs a bunch of random nowheresville scrubs.

anyway the kid eventually lost to the Fat Han Fringer list at the final table.

Top 8 from my hazy memory was
Horn, Biggs, Jake
Howl , backstabber, 5 obsidians
Scum Boba + Kath
Fat han, Fringer
Chiraneau + Soontir fel
Something with Y-wings
another Corn horn jake list

I went 4-2 and won shield tokens and one of the mats the store had made for the top 25. 1 of my losses was to the Fat han fringer guy who won.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Ok, my first game will be Tuesday.

I'm going to take two lists, 1 Imperial and 1 Rebel.

Imperial

Tie Advanced - Vader, Predator
Tie Fighter - Howlrunner, Swarm Tactics
Tie Fighter - Academy Pilot

100 exactly.

Rebel

X wing - Luke Skywalker, R2-S2, proton torpedoes
X wing - Wedge, R2 F2, Squad Leader, proton torpedoes
X wing - Biggs, R2 Astromech

100 exactly

Thoughts?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Proton torpedoes are bad, don't take them on X-wings that are already struggling to not be bad. Take R2-F2 off Wedge; you will always, always, always want his action to be either focus or TL for offense. Squad Leader is kinda meh, even though you will get an opportunity for a single proton torpedo shot. You give up Wedge's action to use it, and Wedge is always better at killing things himself. Plus having TL and focus on a PT isn't as good as it sounds, because you get a free change from focus to crit. That's less need for a focus, and more need for a reroll. If you're absolutely dead set on using a PT, drop the one from Wedge, and use the points to give Luke Predator. A ship with Predator firing a PT doesn't need a whole hell of a lot in terms of offensive modification. That leaves you free to drop the Squad Leader from Wedge and give him (once you take R2-F2 off, it's a bad astromech) his own Predator. Biggs definitely wants to be defensive, and an R2 Astromech doesn't do that at all. You're not going to stress yourself doing anything but K-turning, and you want to keep ships under your umbrella which K-turning definitely does not do terribly well. I'd recommend R5-P9 if you have the Rebel Transport. Then again, if you have the Rebel Transport, run my bitchin' XXX list with Luke/Wes/Wedge with lots of VI and Opportunist Wedge. If you don't have Rebel Transport, then Biggs is probably better served with a Shield Upgrade than an R2 Astromech. Or maybe Wedge with torpedoes.

My suggestion for a list that at least tries to keep the flavor but does it better:

Luke Skywalker (28)
Predator (3)
R2-D2 (4)
Proton Torpedoes (4)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)
Proton Torpedoes (4)

Biggs Darklighter (25)

Total: 100 points.

EDIT: I see this is your first game. Let me be the first to tell you that torpedoes are bad on X-wings. Very bad. They take too many actions to use, and they don't give you meaningful increases in damage against anything except at range 3, where you'll be unable to get both of your actions without Push the Limit or the Squad Leader you admittedly did have on there. The problem with Squad Leader is that Wedge is your primary damage dealer no matter what, and you want him to have actions.

If you don't have those cards, you can find Predator in the TIE Defender. Predator is probably Wedge's favorite upgrade ever, right up there with Opportunist when Wes is on the field.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 26, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That reminds me, aside from proton rockets, is there a munitions set worth taking on a regular basis? I've never had much luck with any other kind of missiles or torpedoes unless I'm rolling really hot, but as a result my sample size is pretty limited.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Concussion Missiles are probably the least egregious munition available, but they're still too expensive. The ability to change a blank to a hit means that having reroll ability is less important, and you can get away with having 'just' TL and focus. It's still situational unless you've got PtL or some other way to take multiple actions, and will always run into the problem of being a 4 point dead weight once you shoot it.

Cluster Missiles can be good against things with low agility, but they're still expensive and have the combined baggage of generally only being as good as a normal primary that you have to spend two turns building up to anyway.

Homing Missiles are too expensive for what they do, but they can be good against ships that rely on evades like interceptors. Four reds plus keeping the TL means that it's the most offensively charged missile available if you can actually have both TL and focus available on the turn you fire it. That's a pretty big if, and the worst part is that the ship that can probably use it most effectively makes it cost an extra 2 points thanks to Chardaan Refit.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I also have an E wing, Y wing and A wing. Assume I had Rebel Aces as well.

Is there a better list I could put together?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like ordnance could do with either costing less or requiring but not consuming the target lock. That's what makes Proton Rockets decent; it's well-costed and doesn't consume the focus it requires.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Thundercloud posted:

I also have an E wing, Y wing and A wing. Assume I had Rebel Aces as well.

Is there a better list I could put together?

Hmmm. A little. The Proton Torpedoes are still bad. With the stuff you have, I'd get real familiar with the E-wing real fast. Corran Horn is a beast, and will work better at doing Biggs' job than Biggs will, which is making people leave Wedge alone to gently caress poo poo up.

Corran Horn (35)
Push the Limit (3)
R2-D2 (4)

Wedge Antilles (29)

Luke Skywalker (28)

Total: 99

Reasoning: You don't have FCS, so Corran is going to be less offensively capable than most lists will have him. You need PtL to make sure you get the most out of him, whether that means TL plus focus on one turn, or focus and evade on another while you're breaking off on Corran's cool down, or a barrel roll and evade to get out of arcs and avoid the worst damage. You'll be doing greens a lot with R2-D2 anyway.

None of the Y-wings are really worth taking with what you've got over these X-wings. Rebel Aces opens up your options significantly, but I'm really biased toward X-wings so here.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like ordnance could do with either costing less or requiring but not consuming the target lock. That's what makes Proton Rockets decent; it's well-costed and doesn't consume the focus it requires.

Prockets tend to be good on ships with meager firepower anyway. That being said, I don't think it's worth 5 points over the refit on A-wings unless you're using an ace.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I use em on Jake only because he should always have a focus anyways.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bunnyofdoom posted:

I use em on Jake only because he should always have a focus anyways.

That's one of the things I noticed when i played against tycho- he was hard to kill because he was double actioning every turn, but he honestly wasnt doing a whole lot, either. I just killed dash and the b-wing instead.

At least prockets will make A-wing aces a threat for a turn.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I just traded one of my spare Stormwalls for a pair of new in box IG-2000 and a TIE Advanced. I know the IG bros are supposed to be good, but how do people typically load them out?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fadam posted:

I just traded one of my spare Stormwalls for a pair of new in box IG-2000 and a TIE Advanced. I know the IG bros are supposed to be good, but how do people typically load them out?

IGs always have autothrusters. Beyond that, there's a LOT of options. Always take B. The other one you have more options for. I find them to be most threatening with the heavy laser cannon to cement their dominance at range 3. A lot of people like to bid out of the middling pilot skill with vet instincts, but there are other options, especially considering how much green there is on its dial.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
HLCs are too expensive, and leave you with a grand total of five points each to trick them out. I prefer Manglers, since they've still got good range 3 presence, and the crits will make up for the fewer dice rolled on a given attack. Plus, you can still use them at range 1 to get the B's ability at all times, which is invaluable against ships with good defense that are still capable of dodging a primary shot.

Typically, my build for them is Autothrusters, Mangler, FCS, and Push the Limit, plus some Seismic Charges for shits and giggles. Alternate builds include Advanced Sensors in place of FCS and Inertial Dampners instead of Seismic Charges.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

HLCs are too expensive, and leave you with a grand total of five points each to trick them out. I prefer Manglers, since they've still got good range 3 presence, and the crits will make up for the fewer dice rolled on a given attack. Plus, you can still use them at range 1 to get the B's ability at all times, which is invaluable against ships with good defense that are still capable of dodging a primary shot.

Typically, my build for them is Autothrusters, Mangler, FCS, and Push the Limit, plus some Seismic Charges for shits and giggles. Alternate builds include Advanced Sensors in place of FCS and Inertial Dampners instead of Seismic Charges.

You don't really need much tricking out after HLCs, though. A FCS gives you that target lock, then you have plenty for the EPTs you might want.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Panzeh posted:

IGs always have autothrusters. Beyond that, there's a LOT of options. Always take B. The other one you have more options for. I find them to be most threatening with the heavy laser cannon to cement their dominance at range 3. A lot of people like to bid out of the middling pilot skill with vet instincts, but there are other options, especially considering how much green there is on its dial.

I disagree with you about IG-88B. The reshoot on miss is nice, but it's better to not need it in the first place and take a different pilot ability instead. I like to take D for his awesome maneuverability options and C for the extra survivability. I use Predator to avoid needing B's reshoot ability, and it has the bonus of rerolling extra dice against the swarms that are your natural enemy. Advanced Sensors opens up your maneuverability options even more (and lets you focus before you Sloop around), and Inertial Dampeners lets you go nowhere if you want. A pair of Proton Bombs to fill out points and sear crits through enemy shields and the standard Autothrusters finishes out this loadout. This list has insane maneuverability, so you're going to want to practice pushing spaceships around the table and learn to predict your opponent's moves. Once you have that down and get the hang of dropping the Proton Bombs when they'll be most effective, you've got yourself a nasty little pair of droids.

IG-88C (36)
Predator (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Proton Bombs (5)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

IG-88D (36)
Predator (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Proton Bombs (5)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

Total: 100

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I have recently been throwing Outmaneuver on the dual 88's, and have found it completely wrecks a lot of ships, especially stuff like the YT-1300's. Maybe it's just my play style, but that has almost become my go to for the 88's.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Panzeh posted:

At least prockets will make A-wing aces a threat for a turn.

:smith:

They're just so fun to push around on the table...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

grassy gnoll posted:

:smith:

They're just so fun to push around on the table...

The base A-wing PS1 pilot is actually a pretty good blocker, but yeah, any shooting is a bonus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Guys am I stupid for debating running a Wes Wedge opportunist combo with Jake riding along?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Chill la Chill posted:

This is how it was originally and I prefer it. It might "take less skill" but honestly it's just one of those skills that don't really add anything to the game. The spatial awareness for FOV is much more important.

I have no poo poo won a game and advanced to top 8 because of this rule, because I intentionally barrel rolled off the board.

I had Mauler Mithel with VI as part of my TIE swarm, vs a Whisper. He took initiative to try and get shots off and cloak against me. I had two random academy pilots with a shot on Whisper, while he was hunting Mithel. I landed near the edge of the board, with Mithel as the only guy in his line of sight.

Barrel roll out of the board. Mithel goes away, but Phantom has no recloak. Died to my fighters that turn.

So I'm kinda sad to see it go.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys am I stupid for debating running a Wes Wedge opportunist combo with Jake riding along?

I'm pumped as gently caress for seeing X-wings on the board in any manner whatsoever, so this gets my vote of confidence.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

WAVE 7 IS ON THE BOAT!

It may actually beat the Raider.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone know if Fantasy Flight does anything for PAX? It's the only con I can make it to and it would be sweet if I could get in on something fun.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

WAVE 7 IS ON THE BOAT!

It may actually beat the Raider.

Hasn't the raider been on the boat for a few weeks? And isn't the Raider a part of Wave 7? :confused:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

That's gonna happen in any game but must be done this way in their business model. Its a necessary evil unless you prefer the compilation cross-faction release style or just plain newer versions that patch the old ones. The latter is practically the same as what FFG does but at least you get a different ship with it and not just buying the same one again.

E: for the record I would actually prefer the compilation style where you get a bunch of revised bases and cards for ships WMH style. But eh I guess their way nets them more money and gets people invested in other ships lol.

I'd just prefer they printed errata packs. I'd rather buy new ships because of the new ships, not to make old ones less lovely. If you feel the need to fix A Wings or Tie D's then just print up some cards to adjust the costs, make them relatively cheap, put them in new copies of the ship, and make proxies legal or something. I mean balance isn't a huge issue if your kitchen table casual, and if you go to an LGS you'd quickly become aware of errata'd cards for your ships and acquire them.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It's also a cost issue. If they do print errata, how many people will buy vs. just playing with the old cards but new rules? Considering the time and cost involved in getting stuff here I'm not surprised they don't do reprints honestly, since I imagine most players wouldn't buy them unless there was new stuff.

And if there's just a couple new things, they can do what they've been doing, which people generally seem to eat up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just release the errata in a PDF, like literally every other company does, and which they've already done for some cards. Printing wording corrections but refusing to fix point costs is really loving dumb.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I tend to buy at least one of everything, and two of most releases anyways, so the upgrades in subsequent releases aren't a huge deal. The only ships I've bought solely for cards were my second TIE Defender for a second Predator for store champs, and kinda/sorta the Starviper for Autothrusters, since I don't really see myself running the ship itself. I'll be unhappy if I feel the need to buy a second starviper, at least I can ostensibly run Jonus + 2x Defender, but I can't see myself ever putting a pair of Starvipers in a list.

VVV edit VVV Luckily I don't have much of a desire to run poo poo like 4B or whatever, so that's not really an issue for me.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 27, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Releasing cards as parts of ships doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize you have to buy 4 star vipers for accurate Bs/advances.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm about to pull the trigger on core set, an xwing, rebel aces, and Outrider, and I'm starting to doubt myself.

If Xwings and Awings are pretty terrible, should I just save my money on the aces pack and get another b-wing or something else? I deffo want to be rebel, but it seems like their most iconic ships are kind of pants.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, a deck pack of cards (especially those that fix ships other than the one they're included in) might become viable further down the line, but right now they'll run the opportunity to sell ships for cards into the ground.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ShineDog posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on core set, an xwing, rebel aces, and Outrider, and I'm starting to doubt myself.

If Xwings and Awings are pretty terrible, should I just save my money on the aces pack and get another b-wing or something else? I deffo want to be rebel, but it seems like their most iconic ships are kind of pants.

The bad A-wings are ones that aren't Jake/Tycho and don't have proton rockets. Most of the stuff that makes A-wings usable and fun is in Rebel Aces, as well as some nice B-wing stuff. You can probably skip getting an A-wing booster, but I wouldn't skip Rebel Aces.

The B-wing is undercosted and thus too good, so you'll want to grab a B-wing blister at some point.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would suggest an E instead of X wing. You would have most of a Corran - dash build with that. Or a y wing, but that requires the scum starter and/or rebel transport for much needed upgrade cards . But yeah it sucks that the aside from the falcon, most of the ships you see on screen are bad. Bs had like a 3 second screen time.

I don't see FFG switching from their current lucrative business model, especially since episode 7 is coming out in a few months. Maybe a newer core set with a bunch of upgrades for the new audience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How's the moldy crow? I love Kyle.

• Locked thread