Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm like 5 hours into DQVIII but I've been playing it in between other stuff as a nice calming adventure. It's going to take me like 7 months to beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The most hosed up part is he is the only DQ character I've personally seen that doesn't look exactly like a DBZ one.
how dare you insult rocket

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

The time travel in Gunbuster is really fascinating

thats the only thing it has tho really, over diebuster

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There have not been any more Billy Bat chapters since april. Cripes!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i said it somewhere else but gunbuster is a really plot based narrative, where the idea is just heres some girls and heres some aliens and we're gonna smash them together for cool action scenes.

Diebuster is even cooler action scenes but instead of the narrative being based on plot its based on the central relationship the characters nurture and share over the course of the ova. It's about Nono and Lal'c becoming friends while also messing aliens up with cuts in every episode by yoh yoshinari.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

I'm like 5 hours into DQVIII but I've been playing it in between other stuff as a nice calming adventure. It's going to take me like 7 months to beat it.

I just got the big titty lady, who I'm going to marry.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Heads up anime fans: DQXI logo just leaked, a full press conference is happening later tonight. Hell loving yeah!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just got the big titty lady, who I'm going to marry.

I reached a port city where she ran off to and I look forward to recruiting her and building her skill points.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gunbuster has heart but lacks Soul. DIebuster has Soul and Heart and also I'm actually Lal'c, they made diebuster about my life and every time you watch an episode I get a check in the mail.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sharkopath posted:

Gunbuster has heart but lacks Soul. DIebuster has Soul and Heart and also I'm actually Lal'c, they made diebuster about my life and every time you watch an episode I get a check in the mail.

I feel the exact opposite to be honest. Diebuster has cool flashy action scenes but not a lot else and I don't really care about any of the characters like the ones in Gunbuster. Also I much prefer the humanity's desperate last struggle styling of the former to, uh, whatever was going on in Die.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did you ever kiss nono

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

i said it somewhere else but gunbuster is a really plot based narrative, where the idea is just heres some girls and heres some aliens and we're gonna smash them together for cool action scenes.

Diebuster is even cooler action scenes but instead of the narrative being based on plot its based on the central relationship the characters nurture and share over the course of the ova. It's about Nono and Lal'c becoming friends while also messing aliens up with cuts in every episode by yoh yoshinari.

I don't really agree with this. Gunbuster up to episode 4 is about Noriko overcoming both the doubts of others and her own poor self-esteem in order to reach her full potential. Everything that happens in the first four episodes helps further her own personal journey. After that it becomes more plot based though yeah.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

Heads up anime fans: DQXI logo just leaked, a full press conference is happening later tonight. Hell loving yeah!

Square is going to own us by not releasing it here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's going to be a f2p phone game :grin:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Please no

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

In Training posted:

It's going to be a f2p phone game :grin:

ugh

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really do like both overall about equally but Diebuster ep 4 I think is by far the best overall episode of the bunch. Just god drat.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Man I just feel Gunbuster has too many things going and none of them really complement each other all that well. You have that shoujo growing up thing going, but since we got other stuff it means Jung Freud goes from a rival to being willing to die for Noriko in the blink of an eye; you got this whole horrors-of-war child-soldier thing but because we also deal with Noriko's inner life and her relationships to others it means mister love interest gets killed in the episode he gets introduced in and we only got like, two actual war scenes; we got the hard physics temporal stuff, but because the cast and setting is largely confined to a single spaceship it doesn't really mean anything to the viewer until the last episode and a half.

I just don't think looking at some girls' sports show and saying "you know what this needs, giant robots and space wars" really works to the benefit to the larger whole even when the individual parts all show promise or whatever.

edit: i never watched diebuster whats its babs status compared to gunbuster

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I always watch gunbuster and diebuster together

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Shirt ripping is just something that's usually reserved for badass guys so I thought it was cool as gently caress when noriko did it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The sexual assault in diebuster made me mad though. Not sure why that was necessary in my badass and fun anime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

I don't really agree with this. Gunbuster up to episode 4 is about Noriko overcoming both the doubts of others and her own poor self-esteem in order to reach her full potential. Everything that happens in the first four episodes helps further her own personal journey. After that it becomes more plot based though yeah.

A big thing that also works against gunbuster's favor is that Noriko's arc is just mirroring Oka's arc, because it's Aim For The Ace. The core character motif in gunbuster is a really simple one about finding courage within yourself in the face of adversity, and once that arc gets completed and its working on original material the characters start to fall flat, that's the problem with focusing a story on a solitary development to the detriment of complex character interaction based writing. Diebuster story is pretty simple too, but emotionally and especially with regards to the relationships characters have with each other there's a lot more going on. It's about the importance and difficulties of maintaining friendship in the face of total adversity. Instead of only being about Noriko Diebuster is about Nono and Lal'c together, and how they develop, gain respect and friendship with each other, tear that relationship apart and reconcile by the end.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

also I'm not saying gunbuster is bad cause it rules i'm just saying why i like diebuster more

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

My prediction: 2016 is gonna be an epic year for rpg fans

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

A big thing that also works against gunbuster's favor is that Noriko's arc is just mirroring Oka's arc, because it's Aim For The Ace. The core character motif in gunbuster is a really simple one about finding courage within yourself in the face of adversity, and once that arc gets completed and its working on original material the characters start to fall flat, that's the problem with focusing a story on a solitary development to the detriment of complex character interaction based writing. Diebuster story is pretty simple too, but emotionally and especially with regards to the relationships characters have with each other there's a lot more going on. It's about the importance and difficulties of maintaining friendship in the face of total adversity. Instead of only being about Noriko Diebuster is about Nono and Lal'c together, and how they develop, gain respect and friendship with each other, tear that relationship apart and reconcile by the end.

Yeah I can agree with this. I like both gun and die a lot, but die probably has the stronger cast overall.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

theres also a bunch of stuff about growing up in there

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i trust sharkopath on this and will start watching diebuster soon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a shame Trigger hasn't made anything on par with all their Gainax work

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thats also not to say noriko and kazumi don't have a relationship or interact with each other either, but because its based way more on plot than relationships their interactions are pretty limited to how they react to the outside stimulus that the plot forces on them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

It's a shame Trigger hasn't made anything on par with all their Gainax work

As long as they keep giving Yoh money to make his witch anime that's alright though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

in shogun 2 all of japan has declared war on me, the real shogun 2 starts here.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I feel the exact opposite to be honest. Diebuster has cool flashy action scenes but not a lot else and I don't really care about any of the characters like the ones in Gunbuster. Also I much prefer the humanity's desperate last struggle styling of the former to, uh, whatever was going on in Die.

You think that because you're old.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

As long as they keep giving Yoh money to make his witch anime that's alright though.

I wish that had just been a one off though, I enjoyed LWA enough but wish he would do something more original.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Old people don't have friends and therefore can't identify with people who do.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

I wish that had just been a one off though, I enjoyed LWA enough but wish he would do something more original.

I bet he's probably got a bunch of notebooks full of cool ideas that would be really sick to see animated but he just doesn't have the time or studio backing to do them all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All I remember about Diebuster is the topless joke from the first episode. And the ending.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

All I remember about Diebuster is the topless joke from the first episode. And the ending.

Both of those things are really good, so I can only assume you love diebuster.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhyYu9reXA

this video showcases a bunch of the cool action stuff that happened in it, set to the haruhi song God Knows. but also don't watch it if you havent seen diebuster yet

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they went above and beyond with the fanservice in gunbuster like when noriko is laying in bed and one of her breasts falls out for like a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i also like how the dude framed the amv, like it starts out at their big falling out and then goes backwards to show their whole relationship before going back to them at the start

advanced amv editing techniques

• Locked thread