Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What?! A weed turned out to be something cool that I'd actually like to keep alive? Thanks goons... guess I'll stop using the pot as my temporary compost bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ghetto wormhole posted:

Some kinda tree or bush. Compare the leaves to the trees nearby and I bet you'll find a match.

edit: I'm guessing mulberry.

Yeah definitely looks like mulberry. A bird poo poo in your pot and a tree grew from the poop :parrot:

Mulberries are pretty cool, so thank you kind mysterious bird poo poo. :worship:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

EagerSleeper posted:

Mulberries are pretty cool, so thank you kind mysterious bird poo poo. :worship:

If it's anything like the mulberries that have taken over my yard, get ready for it to shoot up like Jack's beanstalk. Seems like they come out of nowhere (thanks, birds!) and then they're towering over the house.

Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful, but it seems like nothing eats the berries and they kind of get in the way. Great shade in the stupid Texas sun, though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
They're very common in the wild and they grow extremely quickly when they're young but I've never heard of anyone growing one on purpose just because they create a huge mess. The only one I've ever seen in someone's yard is the really old one in the far back of my parents' lawn on their farm. Lots of fond memories of collecting tons of tasty berries as a kid though :3:

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Just throw a sheet under the trees and shake them real good, you'll have more berries than you know what to do with and it'll keep them from making such a mess! I've got one growing on my balcony right now; I dug it up from the farm where I volunteer and put it in a bucket. It looked like it was probably going to die, but it's doing better than anything else out there right now.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ghetto wormhole posted:

I've never heard of anyone growing one on purpose just because they create a huge mess.

Very true. In the old days when people dried clothes outside, you could expect to see purple stains in your clothes from bird poop. These days, it's more bird poop on your car.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Based on the rounded teeth on the leaves, I think it's either a white or black mulberry. Too bad you didn't luck out and get a red one.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Based on the rounded teeth on the leaves, I think it's either a white or black mulberry. Too bad you didn't luck out and get a red one.

Ours are the white ones. They don't smell like something edible so I haven't tried. That and there are ants everywhere. Do birds not eat the white ones? I haven't seen any birds going after them.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The white ones are edible they're just not nearly as tasty as the red or black varieties. Silkworms prefer white though so you could always start a silk farm.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Compared to the other trees I have growing on my balcony, it is shooting up like crazy. I germinated two oaks in the early spring and they're maybe six inches high with green, skinny trunks. But this guy...

Foot and a half even after being manhandled and mistreated and growing for less than three months.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think you're definitely right about this. The leaves look nothing like the red mulberry leaves I'm seeing on the Googles. Alas!

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 3, 2015

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

ghetto wormhole posted:

The white ones are edible they're just not nearly as tasty as the red or black varieties. Silkworms prefer white though so you could always start a silk farm.

I just found out that my tortoise can eat the leaves, so I'm happy.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004

Anyone by chance know what kind of plant this is? Received it as a funeral arrangement and have been trying to figure out what it is.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Deverse posted:

Anyone by chance know what kind of plant this is? Received it as a funeral arrangement and have been trying to figure out what it is.

Oooh, it's pretty rare to see such classic plant symbolism here. I don't know the name off hand since I'm at work, but it is a flower that was popular with ancient Greeks as a flower of the dead. There was one of those afterlife places such as the Elysium fields that was covered in these flowers. Whoever gave you this plant knew their stuff. I'll try to look up the name later tonight on Wikipedia.

Disregard this, I suck phlox.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 5, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Asphodel? The pictures I'm seeing look somewhat different, although it's certainly possible that's just a different variety.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, on second thought, it's not asphodel. The leaves are tri-lobed instead of being like spikey straps. I know I've seen this plant before but it's on the tip of my tongue. :crossarms:

Edit: in penance, have this cool species of plant that I found while image searching.

Tachyandra

Edit edit: it's a white cleome!

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 5, 2015

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004
Thank you! It's been driving us crazy to figure out what it is. That Tachyandra is awesome!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Should I worry about an oak tree that's started budding later each spring, and dropping its leaves sooner (now)? Also, I'm used to it dropping the occasional twig, but this summer there've been some 4" thick branches come down, and they feel pretty weak. Spongy. It's a humongous old thing, and I love it, but if it ever comes down on its own it's liable to take someone's house with it.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

jackpot posted:

Should I worry about an oak tree that's started budding later each spring, and dropping its leaves sooner (now)? Also, I'm used to it dropping the occasional twig, but this summer there've been some 4" thick branches come down, and they feel pretty weak. Spongy. It's a humongous old thing, and I love it, but if it ever comes down on its own it's liable to take someone's house with it.

It could definitely be some kind of stress on the tree, but it is hard to say much without inspecting the tree, seeing the site, etc. Some photos might help, though it tends to be a big picture thing. Have you noticed any cankers on the trunk or spots on the leaves? What part of the world are you in, is there a local drought?

If the tree is as big as you say, a few 4" branches are just a scratch by comparison. They're unlikely to be directly related to the leaf drop unless its part of a larger issue (crown dieback or major decay that's finally got to the heart of the tree or something).

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Look for a tree service in your town that has a certified arborist. They'd be the ones best equipped to let you know if it's a problem or not.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So a tall tree in my yard is covered with poison ivy, extending up maybe 70 feet. Is there a way to get rid of it without having to cut the tree down? Can I just spray with some kind of herbicide a few times and wait for it to come down?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bozart posted:

So a tall tree in my yard is covered with poison ivy, extending up maybe 70 feet. Is there a way to get rid of it without having to cut the tree down? Can I just spray with some kind of herbicide a few times and wait for it to come down?

Have you even checked if poison ivy affects you? A lot of people are immune.

Also, you're thinking about this a lot harder than you need to. Cut the vines at the ground. Everything up in the tree will die and come down eventually. You may need to keep cutting the new growth over time, but it should die eventually.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

kid sinister posted:

Have you even checked if poison ivy affects you? A lot of people are immune.

yeah i'll go do that right now

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bozart posted:

Can you snip away the poison ivy from the bottom, and apply a mild herbicide? The top part should dry out without the roots, and the bottom parts will be weaker too at that point.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I did a mixed scattered seed planting this year, which means I've come up with some stuff I can't figure out and was hoping you guys can help out again. Most of these are one of a kind, though I think the possible poppy has three friends.

Subject A:

Subject B (2 pics):
and

Subject C:

Subject D:

Subject E:

Subject F (poppy?):

Subject G (2 pics)
and

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Bozart posted:

Anything you spray will potentially hurt the tree. Just cut the vine off at the ground and paint some stump killer on the remaining tip. Anything above the cut will wilt and die and eventually fall off. The stump killer will keep it from growing back.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

That70sHeidi posted:

I did a mixed scattered seed planting this year, which means I've come up with some stuff I can't figure out and was hoping you guys can help out again. Most of these are one of a kind, though I think the possible poppy has three friends.

F is a poppy. It will stand straight up and then bloom. Once the petals fall away and the pod dries out you can harvest the seeds. Look for the little openings all around the top, then shake them out. The amount of seed you get is ridiculous. E looks like Candytuft (Iberis umbellata).

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Giving us better images of the leaves and something to compare scale helps a lot towards identifying plants. For example, on C you just gave us an unbloomed flower spike- that could literally be anything that sends up flowers in that fashion.

My hunch is that a lot of these are actually weeds that just happen to have flowers (more common than you'd think). I agree with E being candytuft and F being a poppy, but G to me looks a lot like pokeweed, and B looks like a common roadside weed I don't know the name of offhand. D might be something in the Malva genus, but again those commonly grow as weeds in some parts of the country too.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I am an rear end in a top hat for several reasons.

I had hosed up big time and put down Preen before I went and put down some new seeds, so the little singletons are the toughest of the tough, I guess. I also went and dug through the garage trash to get some names of the seeds in the "Hummingbird Mix" and so on. Lemme post those. Also a friend on FB said I had some other evening-blooming flowers out, so that these few I never have seen flowers on (or even noticed until now) could be that as well, so it's no wonder they escaped notice.

Also, I planted some bulbs of liatris and even labeled them with a plastic label thingie, but it didn't CLICK that the cool spiky foliage of C (which I dug a picture of out of Recycle Bin) was the actual goddamn thing I actually planted in that spot. So Subject C is Blazing Star Liatris. Only one plant bloomed, and late, and none of the other bulbs of other things took except glads and lily trees, which are both eaten by rabbits.

I do believe that the D is possibly lavatera trimestris because that is one of the names on the list that is mallow. I'd love to see a flower bloom, but right now it's all seed pods (with TONS of poppy-seed sized seeds inside I'm collecting). It could be a weed, but it's kinda a cool weed with nifty pods, and like B I'd like to have them again just for cool contrast. Of course they could be invasive, but...

For E, candytuft is on my list of seeds but that packet was over 20 years old! I also have french marigolds which are gorgeous but I don't think exist in any of the newer, older, or mixed seeds.

I'm only on my second year of doing gardening poo poo and I love/hate it. Now that I know that cosmos and zinnias get as high as my shoulder and which breeds I like, and how the awesome the celosia looks in the wild, I will do better next year planting in clumps of single species. I'll have to post some pics of those later, if anyone cares. The butterflies LOVE my lantana and zinnias and I've got some shots of those, plus I've seen my first real live monarch and first real live hummingbird!

Almost forgot the seed list:

african daisy mixed colors
Alyssum: pastel carpet mix, royal carpet, rosie o'day, summer romance
amaranthus: love lies bleeding
baby's breath (gypsophila elegans)
bachelor's button tall double mixed colors
black-eyed susan (rudbeckia hirta)
calendula officinalis
candytuft: fairy mixed, globe
celosia red velvet
chrysanthemum shasta daisy
coneflower (echinacea purpurea)
coreposis tinctoria
cornflower/bachelors button (centaurea cyanus)
cosmos: dancing petticoats, sea shells mixed, other
delphinium consolida
dragon's head (dracocephalum moldavica)
flax: flowering, moroccan toadflax, blue flax
foxglove (digitalis purpurea)
gaillardia mixed
gazania sunshine mix
impatiens walleriana
imperial larkspur french alouette
lupine
mallow (lavatera trimestris)
malope trifida
pheasant's eye (adonic aestivalis)
phlox drummondii
poppy: california, red or flander's, pepperbox mix
snapdragons chantilly
soapwort (saponaria vaccaria)
sweet william: catchfly, tall double mixed colors
wallflower: english (cheiranthus cheirri)
wallflower: siberian (cheiranthus allionii)
zinnia: candy cane red on white, pinwheel mix, cactus mixed, pepermint stick mix

Sorry for the wall, thanks for the help with these. I'll do better next year!

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Got some more pictures, plus I found a really new plant last night! I left these mostly biggie sized upon click for your ease of viewing.

Subject B including leaves and several stages of ... growth?

Subject D with leaves (leaf) because it's a very small plant

Another pokeweed I found in the back by the edge of woods:

Curious what this pretty weed out back may be. We're in Pittsburgh PA if that helps.

Shot of leaves and berries

This plant has been numerous in my beds but I have no idea if it's a weed or just a slow bloomer. It's about shoulder height before it started doing these little grain particles. Click through for ultra-zoom.

This is what it looks like when little

So now the really cool flower I found last night; it's a trumpet flower and isn't open today, and has these nifty features:

Spiky bulb plus closed flower

A bulb, a nub, and leaves:

Flowers

Also some stuff I already know but think is pretty and am sharing as a thank you for your help!

The few tiny poppies opened and look saaad :(

Cosmos! First double ruffled I've seen

So vibrant

And the backyard patch with bonus butterflies!

That70sHeidi fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 15, 2015

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well the weed with the colorful berries looks like some sort of nightshade.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The plant with the spiky pod is Datura, aka Devil's/Angel's trumpet. Poisonous as all hell, but lovely care-free flowers.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Well the weed with the colorful berries looks like some sort of nightshade.

Yep, bitter nightshade to be exact.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

EagerSleeper posted:

The plant with the spiky pod is Datura, aka Devil's/Angel's trumpet. Poisonous as all hell, but lovely care-free flowers.

It'll also get you high, but the trip reports are always, "I was being chased by monsters that I didn't know weren't real. Now it's 8 hours later and my house is a mess."

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, datura is also called jimsonweed around here, aka Jamestown weed.

quote:

The James-Town Weed (which resembles the Thorny Apple of Peru, and I take to be the plant so call'd) is supposed to be one of the greatest coolers in the world. This being an early plant, was gather'd very young for a boil'd salad, by some of the soldiers sent thither to quell the rebellion of Bacon (1676); and some of them ate plentifully of it, the effect of which was a very pleasant comedy, for they turned natural fools upon it for several days: one would blow up a feather in the air; another would dart straws at it with much fury; and another, stark naked, was sitting up in a corner like a monkey, grinning and making mows [grimaces] at them; a fourth would fondly kiss and paw his companions, and sneer in their faces with a countenance more antic than any in a Dutch droll.

In this frantic condition they were confined, lest they should, in their folly, destroy themselves — though it was observed that all their actions were full of innocence and good nature. Indeed, they were not very cleanly; for they would have wallowed in their own excrements, if they had not been prevented. A thousand such simple tricks they played, and after eleven days returned themselves again, not remembering anything that had passed.

– The History and Present State of Virginia, 170

It's also worth noting that it has what in medicine they call a narrow therapeutic window, meaning the difference between an active and a fatal dose is very, very slight.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I've been growing some Scotch Bonnet-peppers but as you can see they look a bit weird:

No seeds, just these weird threads. Does anyone know what's wrong with them? And are they still safe to eat?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread! Here's a macabre question for you:

My mom died and was cremated, and I'd like to plant a tree and use her ashes to fertilize the soil. What kind of trees would grow best with this kind of soil? (I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, for reference.)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pondex posted:

I've been growing some Scotch Bonnet-peppers but as you can see they look a bit weird:

No seeds, just these weird threads. Does anyone know what's wrong with them? And are they still safe to eat?

Hmmm, are they all like that? I almost wanna say it looks like some sort of fungal deal but I don't know how it would get inside an otherwise undamaged fruit.

If most/all of them are like that I'd say you probably just have some weird mutant on your hands that can't properly form seeds but somehow manages to produce fruit.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Hi thread! Here's a macabre question for you:

My mom died and was cremated, and I'd like to plant a tree and use her ashes to fertilize the soil. What kind of trees would grow best with this kind of soil? (I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, for reference.)
The amount of ashes will be too small to make a discernible difference in the soil profile, especially over the life of a tree. What kind of tree were you thinking?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

ghetto wormhole posted:

Hmmm, are they all like that? I almost wanna say it looks like some sort of fungal deal but I don't know how it would get inside an otherwise undamaged fruit.

If most/all of them are like that I'd say you probably just have some weird mutant on your hands that can't properly form seeds but somehow manages to produce fruit.

Yep, everyone so far. Probably just a mutant like you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cross posting in the plant and critter threads because I'm not sure if this is some sort of plant/fungus or the eggs of some critter.

What the heck are these?

I just noticed that they'd started growing/had been laid in one of my potted plants. They're leathery feeling and inside are a whole bunch of weird black, semi-slimy (or just wet?) seed or egg looking things. They appear to be in no way connected to the roots of the plants around them (strawberry and a kind of climbing flower). Some appear to have burst open on their own accord already, others are still sealed shut.