Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I just discovered this exists. I know it's not practical in the slightest, but something about "both players reveal their entire main deck" is just silly to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Talow posted:

I just discovered this exists. I know it's not practical in the slightest, but something about "both players reveal their entire main deck" is just silly to me.

These days that card is nearly useless but back in the Chaos era (when flip monsters ran rampant) it was one of the best techs in the game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

These days that card is nearly useless but back in the Chaos era (when flip monsters ran rampant) it was one of the best techs in the game.

It's a decent tech against Shaddolls and Ghostricks.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Dexie posted:

It's a decent tech against Shaddolls and Ghostricks.

Situational as gently caress though.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?
It's not great against ghostricks, but it's pretty good against dolls, since dolls are all flip monsters. Bait them into setting something with falco, then go to town.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you Crossout Falco that poo poo can legit win you the game.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Have people been legit sidedecking that against Dolls? Or have they not been that much of a problem in the meta?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Crossout, Royal Command, and Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror are some of the most common sides against Shaddolls. They are a super good deck and one of the best ones right now in the TCG Meta.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Beef Chief posted:

Crossout, Royal Command, and Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror are some of the most common sides against Shaddolls. They are a super good deck and one of the best ones right now in the TCG Meta.

People used crossout more when Shaddolls first popped up. Nowadays, the fusions are considered the bigger threat, so De-Fusion is a common side-deck card (they won't get back their materials, since Shaddolls don't use specific cards for the fusion.)

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

It's actually because de-fusion says

quote:

then, if all the Fusion Material Monsters that were used for its Fusion Summon are in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon all of them.

So if you're targeting your opponent's monster, the materials were never going to be in your graveyard.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lisandra_brave posted:

So if you're targeting your opponent's monster, the materials were never going to be in your graveyard.

I faced a Cyber Dragon deck with my own a bit after my club did a mirror match tourney. He used Super Poly and fused using exclusively my monsters. I cut him off at the pass with a De-Fusion and got the cards back.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

I faced a Cyber Dragon deck with my own a bit after my club did a mirror match tourney. He used Super Poly and fused using exclusively my monsters. I cut him off at the pass with a De-Fusion and got the cards back.

Can you de-fusion Chimeratech Fortress Dragon? Seems super greedy to not just go for that.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Yes, but only if you only used your own monsters. Fortress dragon is good because it'll eat your opponent's machines as well. If you de-fuse it and not all of the materials are in your graveyard, you're hosed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If anyone was curious, this is the Ban List for the World Championship

http://roadoftheking.com/yu-gi-oh-world-championship-2015-forbidden-and-limited-list

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If anyone was curious, this is the Ban List for the World Championship

http://roadoftheking.com/yu-gi-oh-world-championship-2015-forbidden-and-limited-list

Huh that's... certainly a thing, I was wondering how they did the WC now that they have separate banlists.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

You guys would be surprised how well Frog monarch does against random netdeckers on Dueling network or Ygopro

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Onmi posted:

Huh that's... certainly a thing, I was wondering how they did the WC now that they have separate banlists.

The idea of a Worlds for YGO is increasingly grower stupider and stupider to me.

We have two separate banlists with two separate cardpools, and two separate lists of rulings for the game. OCG and TCG are essentially two entirely different games. Trying to mash all of that together into one format for Worlds just doesn't seem right, you know?

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

They're phasing out OCG exclusives with DOCS, where there are only 5, compared to the standard 10. Add to that that TCG mainsets are going to 100 to mop up the missing OCG cards, and the fact that TCG banlists are now "When we feel like it", it looks like they're trying to get everything on the same page.
Or at least, that's what my rose tinted glasses tell me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lisandra_brave posted:

They're phasing out OCG exclusives with DOCS, where there are only 5, compared to the standard 10. Add to that that TCG mainsets are going to 100 to mop up the missing OCG cards, and the fact that TCG banlists are now "When we feel like it", it looks like they're trying to get everything on the same page.
Or at least, that's what my rose tinted glasses tell me.

They're phasing out OCG exclusives in the main sets, but OCG still gets a ton of promos that take forever to make it to the TCG. There's Korean exclusives and TCG exclusives, too.

Hell, TCG still doesn't even have the Duelist Pack: Kastle Siblings!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Does the OCG even get exclusive archtypes? Because now it just seems as if Konami throws a dart at the list and whatever it hits becomes a OCG exclusive for maybe forever, maybe 5 years

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cabinet posted:

Does the OCG even get exclusive archtypes? Because now it just seems as if Konami throws a dart at the list and whatever it hits becomes a OCG exclusive for maybe forever, maybe 5 years

Most Japanese Exclusives are Legacy Support for existing Archetypes, such as Elemental Hero Blazeman, Ghostrick Socuteboss (Succubus),and Chronomaly Nebra Disk, which we got almost 2 years later, and Chronomaly missed its chance to be an actual competitive deck (Chronomaly Artifacts were the best deck in the OCG for a period of time), whereas the Korean Exclusives are them doing cool things with original cards, and not so cool things with the "Lovecraft" Archetype(Combined Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz archetype that uses each other, though really Noden (Or Elder Entity Norden as he is going to be called here) is the really busted one. Note even because he makes instant fusion an instant Rank 4; Rater it's because his effect goes off whenever he is summoned, allowing for you to abuse and spam his effect for some crazy FTK/OTKs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cabinet posted:

D/D is pretty much an OCG exclusive archetype at this point. TCG is (finally) getting a couple of their cards when CORE hits in a couple weeks, but not enough to actually do anything with.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

lemonslol posted:

You guys would be surprised how well Frog monarch does against random netdeckers on Dueling network or Ygopro

Not really, Frog Monarch's always been a pretty decent deck, it's just not broken, and to make it in Yu-Gi-Ohs Meta you must be broken.

Speaking of which, YGOPro has updated with the banlist and newest cards. So that's good for messing around with.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lisandra_brave posted:

Yes, but only if you only used your own monsters. Fortress dragon is good because it'll eat your opponent's machines as well. If you de-fuse it and not all of the materials are in your graveyard, you're hosed.

Oh I thought you couldn't de-fuse Fortress Dragon because it's not a fusion summon but that shows what I know :(. Then I re-read De-fusion.

What does De-fusion do with Masked HEROes then? Does it retrieve whatever was mask changed into that hero?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zoness posted:

Oh I thought you couldn't de-fuse Fortress Dragon because it's not a fusion summon but that shows what I know :(. Then I re-read De-fusion.

What does De-fusion do with Masked HEROes then? Does it retrieve whatever was mask changed into that hero?

No, because that hero is in the Extra deck, not the grave.

quote:

if all the Fusion Material Monsters that were used for its Fusion Summon are in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon all of them.

EDIT: Ugh, scratch that. The answer is that the Masked Heroes aren't Fusion summoned.

"Masked HERO Goka" can be targeted by "De-Fusion". In that case, "Masked HERO Goka" is returned to the Extra Deck, but "if all the Fusion Material Monsters that were used for its Fusion Summon are in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon all of them." is not applied. (The monster targeted by "Mask Change" is not a Fusion Material Monster.)[7]

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 27, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah so Fortress isn't a fusion summon either afaik so I guess you can just kill anything purple-framed that isn't "fusion summoned" with de-fusion.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zoness posted:

Yeah so Fortress isn't a fusion summon either afaik so I guess you can just kill anything purple-framed that isn't "fusion summoned" with de-fusion.

Look at the important words there. "Fusion Material Monsters"

The Masked Heroes have no Fusion Material Monsters, ergo, they have nothing to target when hit with Defusion and simply die. Key words are also "Your Graveyard". So like Lis said, you cannot get your monsters back if you Fortressed with your opponents monster. An Instant Fusion'd Fusion Monster also doesn't summon anything when De-Fusioned, because there was no material used.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I got to try out the Kozmos in YGOPro and they're pretty nuts.

Farmgirl can get out Goodwitch, and they can activate their effects during the battle phase. Also, a fun combo I got off:
My Serene Psychic Witch died, so I used her to summon a Farmgirl. During my standby phase, when Farmgirl was summoned, the opponent hit it with Bottomless. I chained Farmgirl's effect, summoning Forerunner, and it gave me the 1000 Life Points. Then I used Kozmotown to bring Farmgirl back to my hand and summoned her again.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I get that but the part I don't get is what follows

quote:

Target 1 face-up Fusion Monster on the field; shuffle that target into the Extra Deck, then, if all the Fusion Material Monsters that were used for its Fusion Summon are in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon all of them.

So fortress dragon -is- a fusion summon? I guess I always assumed contact fusions were with cards on your side of the field or something like with GB's, RB's, and Neos but I always assumed Fortress Dragon was just a thing you special summoned with the fusion frame and not a "fusion summon" v:shobon:v.

(Also contact fusions dont dump the components into your yard anyway so de-fusion doesn't really come up as anything but removal against them).

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

If it says to "Special summon" it from the extra, it's not a fusion summon. If it says "This summon is counted as a fusion summon" then it's a fusion summon.
Hurray for arcane yugioh mechanics!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Lisandra_brave posted:

If it says to "Special summon" it from the extra, it's not a fusion summon. If it says "This summon is counted as a fusion summon" then it's a fusion summon.

The arcane mechanics are what turns me off from Yugioh the most these days.

Slur fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 27, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Arcane mechanics are what run lovely trading card games

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yugioh having all this weird loving nonsense overall is what makes it so great.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lisandra_brave posted:

That's not arcane though? That's super clear to me.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

The Damage step.
Seven substeps.
1) start of the damage step, apply continuous effects
2) Flip the opposing monster face up, if it's face down. Flip effects don't happen yet (?), but continuous effects on the flipped monster do.
3) Things that happen "before damage calculation" happen here. Things that happen when a card is flipped face up by an attack happen here
4) Damage calculation. Things behave differently here than any other time of the damage step. Effects that say "during damage calculation" and things that negate them happen here. After this point, monsters destroyed by battle are considered destroyed for things that say to target monsters on field.
5) Damage actually happens. Things that selfdestruct are now considered face up on field to selfdestruct.
6) Flip effects happen. Things that happen "after damage calculation" happen.
7) Destroyed monsters are sent to the grave. Effects that happen when a monster "is destroyed by battle" happen now.

The holy grail of arcane bullshit, the damage step!

The only step you can't have multiple chains in is 4. The only effects that can be activated in substep 4 are things that say "during damage calculation" and things that negate those effects.

Lisandra_brave fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 27, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
haha so things are considered destroyed even tho they're still on the field, it's like damage on the stack all over again

yes i know it's not a one to one comparision i don't care

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

haha so things are considered destroyed even tho they're still on the field, it's like damage on the stack all over again

yes i know it's not a one to one comparision i don't care

It's important because things like penguin soldier can return monsters on field to hand. If it's destroyed, of course you can't return it to hand.

Dexie posted:

That's not arcane though? That's super clear to me.

How about the fact that you can't use monster reborn on something sent straight from extra to grave by something like gale dogra or nekroz kaleidoscope?
That's one that catch a lot of people by surprise.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lisandra_brave posted:

How about the fact that you can't use monster reborn on something sent straight from extra to grave by something like gale dogra or nekroz kaleidoscope?
That's one that catch a lot of people by surprise.

That's right there in the rulebook, I'm pretty sure. Synchro/Fusion/Ritual/Xyz monsters can't be special summoned from the Grave or Banished zones unless they've been properly summoned by their summon method first.

A LOT of things in the game would be better understood by people if they actually read the rulebook.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dexie posted:

That's right there in the rulebook, I'm pretty sure. Synchro/Fusion/Ritual/Xyz monsters can't be special summoned from the Grave or Banished zones unless they've been properly summoned by their summon method first.

A LOT of things in the game would be better understood by people if they actually read the rulebook.

Isn't that the reason they changed the effects' wording as well? Every monster these days has a clause saying when it can be SS and how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Isn't that the reason they changed the effects' wording as well? Every monster these days has a clause saying when it can be SS and how.

It is one of the main reasons every card is a wall of text. Yu-Gi-Oh isn't even like Magic where you can just say "Keyword it" because while there's a few evergreen effects (Like Piercing) Yu-Gi-Oh loves adding new cards that do new weird poo poo that interact weirdly with every card in the past. Gold Sarc + Dragon Rulers or Eclipse Wyvern is one of the best, an old way to tutor a card in 2 turns gives you an effect immediately due to a cards effect.

• Locked thread