Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Also Robbie Lawler would literally murder him. I don't mean in a joking manner, I mean Robbie Lawler would literally kill him inside of the octagon. He would be dead.

forget Robbie Lawler, I'm thinking Donald Cerrone would give him worse brain damage than the entirety of his pro wrestling career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mean Bean Machine posted:

it's actually plausible that a random guy from the audience could possibly beat up cm punk

even though he's had a million injuries and migraines from his wrestling days, he still trains day in, day out at an elite professional level MMA gym, doing MMA training and preparing for a fight. I'd take CM Punk even if his ceiling in actual MMA will be quite low.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Didn't Daniel Bryan do some training at an MMA gym to make his submission offense look more realistic? I mean other than the "chased guy who robbed his house five blocks and put him in a rear naked choke" thing

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't Daniel Bryan do some training at an MMA gym to make his submission offense look more realistic? I mean other than the "chased guy who robbed his house five blocks and put him in a rear naked choke" thing

He trained at Extreme Couture for a good amount of time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fushin posted:

He is training at a top level camp with top level athletes. What makes you think he will be below average when it's all said and done? And do you really think Dana won't give him a title shot one day regardless of how he does? Money talks.

Are you familiar with UFC at all because that's not generally how they do things

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Yeah but in that article they talk about pulling fighters for the staph. No z-pack and good luck out there. Real actual fights were canceled.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Punk will be UFC champion within a year because UFC is fixed and CM Punk is a draw.

Source: Chuck Liddell*.

*According to Hulk Hogan.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
CM Punk is going to run the 400m at the Olympics for America because he believes in himself and money talks

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Optimist with doubt posted:

Yeah but in that article they talk about pulling fighters for the staph. No z-pack and good luck out there. Real actual fights were canceled.

Tons of fighters claim they had staph after fights. They just didn't pull out, probably because they needed the money

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Herr Tog posted:

I want to see this

Assuming Punk managed to defend himself for more than 7 seconds we might get some glorious violence out of it

Herr Tog posted:

and would pay to see it.

and that's why he got signed, regardless of his qualifications.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He's already said himself that it's win win, he either does well and anyone who likes him gets to see it, or he gets beaten silly and anyone who hates him gets to see it. I would say something about the indifferent, but people seem *just so mad* about it all, that doesn't look like the case.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeathChicken posted:

He's already said himself that it's win win, he either does well and anyone who likes him gets to see it, or he gets beaten silly and anyone who hates him gets to see it. I would say something about the indifferent, but people seem *just so mad* about it all, that doesn't look like the case.

I'm pretty indifferent and basically it means that I get to drink in the joy of one side and the tears of the other no matter what happens

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

it's actually plausible that a random guy from the audience could possibly beat up cm punk

lol yeah

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

As a failed professional fighter and current high school teacher I'm really excited for CM Brooks to do better than I did. Thank you

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'm sorry about your brother Tom Hardy

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Aurain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvgwnzJOLo

45 minute interview with Ariel Helwani discussing basically all aspects of what people might want to know about CM Punk.

That was a pretty good interview if the guy interviewing didn't seem so drat tense. It's good he's keeping realistic expectations and a positive mindset going into it. And scrimmaging with guys that are either getting paid to or want to with him. Also that dog is awesome.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

vainman posted:

CM Punk is going to run the 400m at the Olympics for America because he believes in himself and money talks

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Have him fight matt brown, with a camera on Vince sitting cageside

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Assuming Punk managed to defend himself for more than 7 seconds we might get some glorious violence out of it

and that's why he got signed, regardless of his qualifications.

mind you I haven't seen his in the WEE but this kind of weird poo poo just appeals to me and sitting in a bar wit ha brew and laughing my rear end off.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
How the hell did we get to championship discussion? It felt kind of like the thread went:

"I dunno Punk might not be a bad fighter"
"What? He'll never even get a championship shot"
"I didn't say anything about the championship, I just said—"
"What are you TALKING about HE'S NOT CHAMPIONSHIP MATERIAL I use CAPITAL letters"

Anyway I love this whole thing because people mad :allears:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think you're really overestimating how "mad" mma fans are over this. It's more bemusement as we watch people talk about how CM Punk could win because of his pure determination, how his pro wrestling experience could help him win, how CM punk could fight for a title, and how he's "scrimmaging" with top fighters.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

How the hell did we get to championship discussion? It felt kind of like the thread went:

"What are you TALKING about HE'S NOT CHAMPIONSHIP MATERIAL I use CAPITAL letters"

Someone literally said they think he's going to get a title shot but ok

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Someone literally said they think he's going to get a title shot but ok

Actually it was framed that you are kinda dumb if you don't think he will get a shot because money talks. That's less reason to argue against it, right?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Chokes McGee posted:

you're retarded

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
He's not getting a title shot because it's not good business to let Punk get murdered by a real fighter.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Actually it was framed that you are kinda dumb if you don't think he will get a shot because money talks. That's less reason to argue against it, right?

you're retarded

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CM Punk is absolutely, 100% going to get a title shot on PPV.

That title will be "Worst Fighter To Win On A UFC PPV Possibly Ever".

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know if the athletic commission would sanction punk vs Lawler at any point unless he turns out to be some weidman level prodigy

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Like Robbie Lawler just did things to one of the best fighters in the world that made me, a sick person who gets off on violence, uncomfortable

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

The next guy who posts about everyone being mad or whatever should have to quote who's so mad, I think

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Locking Punk in the same cage as Lawler would warrant a UN War Crimes investigation

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
UFC title in fridge within his first 3 fights I'm calling it right now.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

punks gonna win the belt with a shoot gts

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The thing I like best about Robbie Lawler is that his body stores up all the power from your punches against him and then lets him deliver it all back to you in a single punch, or several.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Aurain posted:

The thing I like best about Robbie Lawler is that his body stores up all the power from your punches against him and then lets him deliver it all back to you in a single punch, or several.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

what a terrible slumber party

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

if Dana White had any business sense, he'd never let Punk near an actual fighter and instead would just have a CM Punk Open Challenge each week where Punk gets called out by a variety of juggalos and backyard guys and then gets to troll them for ~15-20 minutes

play to your strengths

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

As everyone has mentioned, CM Punk is not fighting anyone who has a bunch of pro wins because no proper commission in the world (:laffo:) would sanction the fight, but for the sake of the pro wrestling posters, the people talking about him getting a title shot "because of the money" or whatever (joking or not), this is the current champion on the left:

This is his opponent after Lawler finished him

That's him spraying blood at the end of the round and stalking down an equally unemotional serial killer looking motherfucker. He's probably the last person in the UFC I'd want to be locked in a cage with (although they'd all kick my rear end, he's just a dude who is violence personified). I sure as poo poo don't want to see him fight Phil Brooks. Punk will fight a guy who's also making his UFC debut, or maybe has a fight in the promotion under his belt, imo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

As everyone has mentioned, CM Punk is not fighting anyone who has a bunch of pro wins because no proper commission in the world (:laffo:) would sanction the fight, but for the sake of the pro wrestling posters, the people talking about him getting a title shot "because of the money" or whatever (joking or not), this is the current champion on the left:

This is his opponent after Lawler finished him

That's him spraying blood at the end of the round and stalking down an equally unemotional serial killer looking motherfucker. He's probably the last person in the UFC I'd want to be locked in a cage with (although they'd all kick my rear end, he's just a dude who is violence personified). I sure as poo poo don't want to see him fight Phil Brooks. Punk will fight a guy who's also making his UFC debut, or maybe has a fight in the promotion under his belt, imo.

That fight was insane on multiple, perhaps all, levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lock this thread until Punk actually gets a fight.

• Locked thread