Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I don't care how long you've lived in the south, if you were born and raised in Chicago you do will never naturally at all sound like she did in that 92 Tammy Wynette interview.

From a few back, butI was born and raised in Russia before moving to California, and 99% of the time I have no detectable accent. Catch me exhausted or on the phone with my mom, though, and I sound like a Hollywood take on a Russian mafioso.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

aBagorn posted:

Ford won the White vote 52-48

And that was back when whites were about 90% of the electorate.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I agree, let's stop sending aid to Israel.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Feather posted:

Obama probably doesn't care if Medicare is privatized. Hell, if his own ACA is any indication, he loves him some privatized insurance.

Obama is one of the harshest critics of Paul Ryan's proposal to change Medicare into a voucher system.

Speaking of, have any Republicans endorsed the Ryan budget so far this election?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anime tupac posted:

Yeah Rand because we spend soooo much on foreign aid.

That doesn't make it a bad idea. There's plenty of useful things that the cash could be spent on here at home.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, I may have missed this, but has anybody confronted Trump about the last bit of bullshit Birtherism he came up with, I want to say right about the 2012 elections? Said he had tons of detectives who came up with amazing information in Hawaii, then *crickets*.

I'm guess not. Birtherism is considered a dead issue by pretty much anyone important because it's going to be moot in a year anyways.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Bob Ojeda posted:

Carter was a pretty successful farmer, IIRC, and HW Bush made a lot of his money on his own although helped by his family connections. But I think you have to go back to Hoover to get a real self-made business mogul.

Der Kyhe posted:

Warren G. Harding was a successful (and self-made) businessman before taking politics as his main occupation, does this count? Harry S. Truman also owned a business for a while, but wikipedia doesn't say if it was any success or not.

Just wondering if there was a good president who came from business, though it appears not on all accounts. Honestly though I didn't know Carter was successful at anything from the point of birth to the last day of presidency.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Also Golden Age Superman :colbert:

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Veskit posted:

Just wondering if there was a good president who came from business, though it appears not on all accounts. Honestly though I didn't know Carter was successful at anything from the point of birth to the last day of presidency.

Carter owned / owns

(Truman's business wasn't successful at all, for reference)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Veskit posted:

Carter was amazing. You take that back.

edit: He also IS still amazing.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 27, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Tigntink posted:

Make me and or convince me :colbert:

Bob Ojeda posted:

Carter owned / owns

(Truman's business wasn't successful at all, for reference)

So it's been over a century since... Cool to know.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tigntink posted:

yeah, amazingly poo poo :twisted:

*snickers all the way to the Politburo*

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Carter was not a very good president.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Veskit posted:

Make me and or convince me :colbert:

So it's been over a century since... Cool to know.

Carter started off his presidency by pardoning everyone who draft dodged.
He created the Department of Energy and Education. He even put solar panels on top of the white house to show support for getting away from foreign oil. He's always been a promoter of new technologys that make our lives better.

In his time in Georgia he was aggressively anti segregation. He trolled the KKK by putting up MLK portraits all over the state house.

Honestly the only real negative mark on his presidency was the hostage crisis which was obviously extremely fubar'ed up by Reagan. Also Americans really hate being told that they need to get with the loving program and stop being horrible members of earth.

Post presidency - The Carter Center does fantastic work to eradicate 3rd world diseases. He is also a big habitat for humanity guy.
Carter also negotiated with a madman and got North Korea to let inspectors keep an eye on their atomic program.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 27, 2015

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Tigntink posted:

There you go again :smuggo:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Der Kyhe posted:

Warren G. Harding was a successful (and self-made) businessman before taking politics as his main occupation, does this count? Harry S. Truman also owned a business for a while, but wikipedia doesn't say if it was any success or not.
Truman's poor financial state after he left office is part of the reason why Presidents get pensions now.Given that, I doubt his business ventures were terribly successful.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Carter's biggest flaw as a president was that he was too much of an optimist. It's the same flaw Obama had for the first 3 years or so. Only hardened realpolitik-understanding cynics are effective executives in this country.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Tigntink posted:

He created the Department of Energy and Education. He even put solar panels on top of the white house to show support for getting away from foreign oil. He's always been a promoter of new technologys that make our lives better.

In his time in Georgia he was aggressively anti segregation. He trolled the KKK by putting up MLK portraits all over the state house.

Honestly the only real negative mark on his presidency was the hostage crisis which was obviously extremely fubar'ed up by Reagan. Also Americans really hate being told that they need to get with the loving program and stop being horrible members of earth.

Post presidency - The Carter Center does fantastic work to eradicate 3rd world diseases. He is also a big habitat for humanity guy.
Carter also negotiated with a madman and got North Korea to let inspectors keep an eye on their atomic program.

Carter's main issue wasn't anything to do with policy, but, rather, that he brought in an outsider staff that didn't understand the importance of schmoozing the correct people.

The Carter administration is the best example of how the electorate can never really escape Establishment Politics.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Everything I needed to know about carter I learned from king of the hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze0joPcwyz0

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
King of the Hill should be the national anthem.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Miltank posted:

King of the Hill should be the national anthem.
(to king of the hill theme)

god bless the U-S-A
god bless the U-S-A
god bless the U-S-A
god bless
god bless
god bless
the U.S.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

funtax posted:

Rorschach was created as a critique of the precise ideology that animates Cruz's political views. He's literally supposed to be the bigoted and insane conclusion of Objectivist philosophy.

But, unlike Cruz, he is willing to die for it.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Trump "food for the soul"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iL8TtPOt0

It can happen.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus Christ black conservatives are the saddest, most pitiable demographic ever.

Also what the gently caress is Huckabee doing courting labor

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Tigntink posted:

And Nixon.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alter Ego posted:

Jesus Christ black conservatives are the saddest, most pitiable demographic ever.

Also what the gently caress is Huckabee doing courting labor

Trying to tack populist, or at least blue-collar, I'd imagine.

That was Ford.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Trying to tack populist, or at least blue-collar, I'd imagine.

That was Ford.

Welp, now I look stupid. In my defense, I'm British so my lack of knowledge about the less well known recent US Presidents is somewhat excusable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

Has this been posted yet? I don't care, I'm posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2tLyqfJd54

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Carter's biggest mistake was allowing Zbigniew Brzezinski's bullshit in Afghanistan. We're still paying for that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has there ever been a time a republican has won a majority of the black vote?

I was looking online and found Gallup polls and the closest to majority from a republican president was Reagan at 35%

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lastgirl posted:

pfft, you only hate Ozymandias because he was right and you couldn't admit that he was :smug:

Accelerationists have something in common with John Galt then; their ideas can only work in fiction.

Nenonen posted:

Kal-El is an anchor baby! :freep:

He was snuck across the border and illegally registered as a natural born citizen.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 27, 2015

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Has there ever been a time a republican has won a majority of the black vote?

I was looking online and found Gallup polls and the closest to majority from a republican president was Reagan at 35%

I think you'd have to go back to pre-Civil Rights for that. I know that during Reconstruction, the south had plenty of black politicians who were all Republican.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Tigntink posted:

He also vetoed the Democratic waters project bill as one of his first acts of President. He had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate and a Speaker who wanted nothing more than to shepherd a Democratic president's legislative agenda through Congress. Instead, Carter vetoed their pork bill. He also appointed a bunch of people that key Senators didn't like and rubbed their faces in it. So I agree with Pups of War but he was lacking self awareness. Carter could have accomplished so much and he chose to antagonize his own party for no good reason other than he wanted to "change the culture" or some stupid bullshit. He might be a good dude and I probably would have voted for him, but the level of failure surrounding him is largely his fault. Everything was in place for him to own, yet he didn't.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Carter's biggest mistake was allowing Zbigniew Brzezinski's bullshit in Afghanistan. We're still paying for that.

Bill Casey and Reagan are way more to blame for that poo poo. Carter allocated a few hundred thousand bucks for medical and communication supplies to the Mujahideen when the Soviet invasion got going right at the end of his administration. Casey demanded and got cabinet rank and basically got free reign on spending and operations in Afghanistan when Reagan came into office.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Carter would be remembered more fondly if he didn't fire his entire cabinet after the Great Malaise speech. Despite what people remember, the speech boosted his poll numbers... Then it was resign-a-palooza.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's actually impressive how boring he is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey, Mike Huckabee, want to walk back that statement about Obama triggering Holocaust II: Electric Oven Boogaloo? No?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVeU9sOOfpU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I think you'd have to go back to pre-Civil Rights for that. I know that during Reconstruction, the south had plenty of black politicians who were all Republican.

I think the change happened in the late 1940's early 1950's. The black vote gets taken for granted, and their political issues are not a priority, just like the evangelicals in the Republican camp. It's the social version of red states blue states. Being a swing vote, attracts more attention from politicians.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Enjoy inhaling paint fumes? Jeb! might be the candidate for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-mAkZXzUc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bro, do you even know Martin O'Malley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsASfgwTVw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Joementum posted:

It's actually impressive how boring he is.

Very quickly I thought that was mitt Romney

• Locked thread