Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

StormDrain posted:

Finally found an excuse to buy ratchet, any opinions on the Gearwrench 120xp?

I own only a couple of Snap-On tools - the crown jewel of which is a Snap-on F80 ratchet. This is the Dual 80 tooth. The F80 can do a 4.5 degree arc

I stopped using it when I got the 120xp. It's so smooth. It has a 3 degree arc. This is supposed to be dual pawl as well.

Now there is a difference. The snap on has two lined-up pawls on an 80 tooth gear. The gearwrench has two alternate pawls on a 60 tooth gear.

I don't care - the 120xp still feels better to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Craftsmans in question with a smattering of others. Love these things, hope to pass em down someday.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I'm looking for some kind of OBD2 scan tool to use with a PC. I have a Surface Pro - it has one USB port.

I'd like something that can do J2534 pass-through so I can use it on Toyota reprogramming, but it's mainly to be a general diagnostic tool.

I'm more concerned what software I can use. I want something that graphs sensor outputs and displays data from the engine. Imagine watching an oxygen sensor cycle above and below zero - one could spot a slow sensor.

Any recommendations?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

0toShifty posted:

I'm looking for some kind of OBD2 scan tool to use with a PC. I have a Surface Pro - it has one USB port.

I'd like something that can do J2534 pass-through so I can use it on Toyota reprogramming, but it's mainly to be a general diagnostic tool.

I'm more concerned what software I can use. I want something that graphs sensor outputs and displays data from the engine. Imagine watching an oxygen sensor cycle above and below zero - one could spot a slow sensor.

Any recommendations?
Here ya go: click the thing. I'm excited to receive that and pair it up with Torque on my Nexus 7. Surface Pro? Which number? It's got Bluetooth, and it'll work with that thing I linked.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

0toShifty posted:

Any recommendations?

Awhile back, I got this one and tried to pair it with Torque, but wound up giving up after never quite getting it to work properly. Probably a step I'm missing, but Torque says it won't read codes from my ECM (though it'll connect other stuff just fine)

If you're looking for just diagnostics, to be able to read and delete codes, this thing has been just freaking awesome. Simple, works every time, and gives you a nice list of codes to google at your leisure. Plus it's super cheap so I just chucked it in my car toolbox and give no fucks if it's stolen.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

0toShifty posted:

I own only a couple of Snap-On tools - the crown jewel of which is a Snap-on F80 ratchet. This is the Dual 80 tooth. The F80 can do a 4.5 degree arc

I stopped using it when I got the 120xp. It's so smooth. It has a 3 degree arc. This is supposed to be dual pawl as well.

Now there is a difference. The snap on has two lined-up pawls on an 80 tooth gear. The gearwrench has two alternate pawls on a 60 tooth gear.

I don't care - the 120xp still feels better to me.

I ended up ordering it, overnighted. Feels awesome. Went with the 1/2" flex head with a long handle. I've got a lot of bolts to turn this weekend so that should give me a solid review time, I'll be back!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

scuz posted:

Craftsmans in question with a smattering of others. Love these things, hope to pass em down someday.

They look real nice, but aren't they kind of frustrating to use? Heavy, really sloppy feeling, and a very coarse ratchet wheel? All the older ratchets I've used have been like that. My old Craftsman wrenches are great, though. No moving parts!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

They look real nice, but aren't they kind of frustrating to use? Heavy, really sloppy feeling, and a very coarse ratchet wheel? All the older ratchets I've used have been like that. My old Craftsman wrenches are great, though. No moving parts!
It was my first ratchet set and I've never used another 1/2" drive ratchet :3:. To answer your question, they are quite heavy and a bit of a pain. The slop I kind of contribute to them being so damned old. It's very possible that if I decided to pick up a more refined modern set that I'd throw these away, but they're just so cool.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm not suggesting you throw them away, they're cool as hell! I just wouldn't use one for everyday purposes.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm really goddamn impressed with Gearwrench these days. I've got the set of the flex head 3 degree ratchets, and the 3/8 regular one. They're worlds better than the fine tooth SK that I bought a couple years ago. I'm really convinced that Kobalt and Gearwrench are really the way to rock for the basic tools.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I remember when I was just getting into Rx-7's 12? years ago and started my tool addition. The first thing I bought was a full set of Craftsman tools- one of the 300 piece mechanics sets. Mainly because I loved my dad's 1980's Craftsman tools. I used them for years and they still live in a dusty drawer, randomly used for things I don't need. Looking back, they were utter-crap for the price. It was right around the time where the US manufacturing went to hell overall. I broke sockets, ratchets, and generally destroyed every regularly used tool in the set. The mechanism in their professional-full-polish ratchets, wore out in 6 years while the HF impacts I purchased at the same time are still going strong. I bought into [s]Strap-on[s]Snap-On after using friends tools and now my main tools are a collection of ebay/garage sale/www sale acquisitions. Combine those with harbor frieght impact sockets, Knipex pliers, and a random assortment of other decent tools, it's a winning combination. At the same time, there's no reason to go full snap-on and 8 years ago, when I was the average home mechanic, there's nothing wrong with the Craftsman of that era. I've just out grown them. It does not help that their quality has gone to HF levels. No need to pay a premium when you can buy the same thing for 1/3 the price with a coupon. I'll always have a soft spot for the pre 1990's Craftsman tools, but they offer nothing I'm interested in now-a-days.

I was trying to think of how to break apart the average home user, serious weekend mechanic, and career mechanic- but it's too difficult. What matters for the average weekend tinker does not cross well with either of the next two options. I'm seeing career mechanics now using a similar balance that I am- and it makes the most sense. The tools trucks carry three benefits: 1) They allow payments 2) They come regularly to do warranty repair/exchanges and 3) They provide high quality tools. No one wants to warranty a socket every week, month, or even year. If I were wrenching for a living, I would have more truck tools due to the above. (Mind you there's no reason to buy something huge just because "you can make payments"- I was speaking with someone this weekend that bought a $6500 Snap-On lift- re-badged mind you- that he could have easily bought from a local dealer with terms for $3500- but there's a sucker born every minute they say.)

One day I will put together the ultimate home-mechanics shopping guide.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I've always been under the impression that the truck tool warranty was more or less at the discretion of your dealer and largely a function of whether you're a regular customer? If you don't work at a shop, are you largely SOL?

I'm not gonna lie, I'm still a sucker for craftsman tools/marketing, though I have my doubts they'll be around in twenty years to get any kind of warranty protection (on what little they still warranty). Harbor freight is perfect for oddball stuff, and I love my impact tools from there. I think their QC is starting to get more consistent as well, though I wouldn't hold it to the same standards as anyone else.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've always been under the impression that the truck tool warranty was more or less at the discretion of your dealer and largely a function of whether you're a regular customer? If you don't work at a shop, are you largely SOL?

I'm not gonna lie, I'm still a sucker for craftsman tools/marketing, though I have my doubts they'll be around in twenty years to get any kind of warranty protection (on what little they still warranty). Harbor freight is perfect for oddball stuff, and I love my impact tools from there. I think their QC is starting to get more consistent as well, though I wouldn't hold it to the same standards as anyone else.

I can't speak for hand tools or for working with the actual tool truck but Snap-On just warrantied every single one of the 20 year old ball bearing drawer slides that were in my used KRL toolbox without even asking a question. When I got the box the ball bearings were essentially lubricated by 20 years worth of body work dust. I sent Snap-On an email stating that I bought it from a retired mechanic and that after cleaning and lubricating all of the original drawer slides they still stick a little bit at the end of travel and asking whether or not I could warranty the slides. They asked where to send my new drawer slides and they arrived in the mail less than a week later ($720 value).

rally fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 26, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

If the tool is Snap-On/Mac/etc branded, it's covered no matter who you are and where you bought it. A big chunk of the purchase price goes towards the manufacturer's warranty costs of guaranteeing that if anything gets hosed up they have your back with no hassles.

quote:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm still a sucker for craftsman tools/marketing,

Then you're a sucker. They've been making crappy chinesium garbage for a long time now, and are less likely to warranty/replace a tool than Harbor Freight (most of their stuff doesn't come with a lifetime warranty anymore, and hasn't for a long time).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I would not waste a cent on Craftsman these days. I have some vintage Craftsman from my late father in law but even then I hardly ever touch the ratchets because my newer Kobalt / Husky / Crescent ones are so much nicer. The only Craftsman stuff I have bought myself has been the result of gift cards. A jack and stands (still use the stands, the jack died), a set of flare nut wrenches (decent), and a set of 3/8 sockets that are a bit shallower than most. They let me get the crank bolt off of a NB without pulling the swaybar.

If you want to spend money, go Kobalt or Husky. If you want cheap, Harbor Freight really is decent on a lot of it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

OSU_Matthew posted:

It kind of depends on who you deal with. If you want to send your tool in, they'll take care of you. If you want to drop by a guy with a truck, it depends on the guy. The only Snap-On tool I've bought new (F80) I asked the truck driver about that, and he said as long as the tool says "snap-on" on it, he'll warranty it, no questions asked. But I've heard from other friends who have tried similar things that sometimes the truck guys try to make it a pain and ask for a receipt or something if you don't work at a shop they service.

So I guess it depends?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have a few pieces of second-hand Snap-On equipment. When something breaks I just give it to my friend that buys a lot of fancy tools and the Snap-On guy fixes it for him under warranty.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I really haven't used them much, but my initial impressions of the Grey Pneumatic Duo Sockets I have are pretty good. I still need to buy more sets, but they aren't $Texas money or anything. So keep those in mind if you're shopping socket sets.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

I ended up ordering it, overnighted. Feels awesome. Went with the 1/2" flex head with a long handle. I've got a lot of bolts to turn this weekend so that should give me a solid review time, I'll be back!

Great ratchet. Flex head is a bit annoying if it flops over but hopefully it'll pay off on cramped jobs. Maybe I'll pick up a standard one with a short handle on the next job.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Raluek posted:

It kind of depends on who you deal with. If you want to send your tool in, they'll take care of you. If you want to drop by a guy with a truck, it depends on the guy. The only Snap-On tool I've bought new (F80) I asked the truck driver about that, and he said as long as the tool says "snap-on" on it, he'll warranty it, no questions asked. But I've heard from other friends who have tried similar things that sometimes the truck guys try to make it a pain and ask for a receipt or something if you don't work at a shop they service.

So I guess it depends?

I think it's because the truck guy has to send them in to Snap-on corporate, and if they reject the warranty then he's out the replacement tool he gave you. If it happens on a regular customer, then it's just the cost of doing business: eating a $100 ratchet means the customer sticks around to buy stuff later, and also he doesn't get a bad reputation with the rest of the shop, who also stick around to buy stuff. If it's some random guy who followed him to the gas station, then he'll never make a sale to him anyway, so it's not worth the risk. Also I think that professional mechanics are less likely to intentionally abuse their tools, and so the rate of rejected warranty claims is probably lower on the whole.

PBCrunch posted:

I have a few pieces of second-hand Snap-On equipment. When something breaks I just give it to my friend that buys a lot of fancy tools and the Snap-On guy fixes it for him under warranty.

This is probably the best way to do it. The only thing I've ever had refused was a socket that I found that had obviously been misused - grinder marks on it, sides worn out from being used on the wrong size nut. I tried to break it in a way that would hide that but I think I went too far and my dealer turned it down. I should have held onto it though because my current dealer's policy is to shrug and say "There's no way for me to know how it broke," so I probably would have gotten away with it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

StormDrain posted:

Great ratchet. Flex head is a bit annoying if it flops over but hopefully it'll pay off on cramped jobs. Maybe I'll pick up a standard one with a short handle on the next job.

Is the level of flexibility not adjustable? That's how my Gearwrench flex head ratchet wrenches work, the side of the joint has a teeny little set screw with an Allen head.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

HotCanadianChick posted:

Then you're a sucker. They've been making crappy chinesium garbage for a long time now, and are less likely to warranty/replace a tool than Harbor Freight (most of their stuff doesn't come with a lifetime warranty anymore, and hasn't for a long time).

You're absolutely right, and it bugs the crap outta me because I've been trying to find some NOS quick release socket extensions for years now. The original version is great, it's got a metal button that was replaced with a chintzy plastic slide when Apex outsourced production awhile back, and it's hardly fair to even call it the same tool. It's just really dumb decisions like that which have more or less killed the brand and its reputation.

That plus changing the return policy to limit it to 25 years with a receipt for most things (nevermind that thermal paper receipts fade away completely after six months) and discontinuing a large swath of craftsman branded stuff to weasel out of the warranty doesn't give me confidence that they'll even be around when I need to warranty something anyways.

E: All that being said, this is why I will buy craftsman hand tools over harbor freight any day:

That's just from hand pressure trying to torque out the retaining bolts on my starter, no impact or pneumatic tools. All of a sudden it just started turning freely, and I thought the bolt was free, but nope, that was just the harbor freight socket extender failing. The craftsman socket is completely undamaged though.

I realize that it's an unfair comparison of quality, but so is trying to claim that they're in the same class of tool.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 27, 2015

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I ended up buying that tool chest I linked a couple weeks back and now I've realised I've got a fuckload of sockets and really need some trays/rails to keep them together so it's not such a pain trying to find what I need. Any suggestions for what to get? I've found this stealth 4 rail thing which looks flash as gently caress but seems pretty expensive, a couple of metal trays with spring clip things which would probably be fine, and a whole bunch of plastic trays that don't fill me with confidence. Really all I want is something with a magnetic base or wide enough that it won't fall over that also holds the sockets securely enough that they stay put if I bump the drawer.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Ephphatha posted:

I ended up buying that tool chest I linked a couple weeks back and now I've realised I've got a fuckload of sockets and really need some trays/rails to keep them together so it's not such a pain trying to find what I need. Any suggestions for what to get? I've found this stealth 4 rail thing which looks flash as gently caress but seems pretty expensive, a couple of metal trays with spring clip things which would probably be fine, and a whole bunch of plastic trays that don't fill me with confidence. Really all I want is something with a magnetic base or wide enough that it won't fall over that also holds the sockets securely enough that they stay put if I bump the drawer.

I have tried a bunch of different magnetic trays and clips and I always go back to the Hansen socket trays. I just really like the sizes being right there on the tops of the sockets. They are plastic but the pegs will bend really far without breaking (I have never broken one). If you want a slightly cheaper alternative I have heard okay things about the harbor freight trays but they used little tombstones at the socket base for the size labels so I do not like them as much.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
^^^EDIT: The sets I got had a couple of the pegs broken off, but the sockets still sit pretty securely. But, definitely not bendy.^^^

I got a cheap set of trays from HF and the sockets stay put as I move the drawers/chest around. There's plastic posts that stick up to keep them from tipping over.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-metric-socket-trayorganizer-68102.html

But since you linked to the Australian eBay, I'm guessing you don't have a HF around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Who needs a screwdriver? I have a deal for you!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/5136348482.html

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ephphatha posted:

I ended up buying that tool chest I linked a couple weeks back and now I've realised I've got a fuckload of sockets and really need some trays/rails to keep them together so it's not such a pain trying to find what I need. Any suggestions for what to get?

A thousand times these Lisle magnetic socket trays. I have red for metric and black for imperial sockets, as well as a 1/4" tray for the smaller stuff. The magnets hold everything in well enough to carry around by the handle (though it could be a tad bit stronger) and there is nothing more convenient than just grabbing your socket tray with both deep and regular sockets all in one easy spot for whatever job you're doing. I've never had much luck with socket rails, and this is just so easy to keep organized and stowed away in your tool chest. These have been a great investment for me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

E: All that being said, this is why I will buy craftsman hand tools over harbor freight any day:

That's just from hand pressure trying to torque out the retaining bolts on my starter, no impact or pneumatic tools. All of a sudden it just started turning freely, and I thought the bolt was free, but nope, that was just the harbor freight socket extender failing. The craftsman socket is completely undamaged though.

I realize that it's an unfair comparison of quality, but so is trying to claim that they're in the same class of tool.

Meh, that's a wobble extension, which we've all recommended against in here. v:v:v They're garbage. I've used my standard HF extensions on an impact gun daily for a couple years and usually they're in a pile so I grab a chrome one half the time.

Since you mentioned it, their quick-release extensions are decent too, it's a slide but it's serious knurled metal. They only work with chrome sockets, impact sockets hang loose (which is really weird because I have never otherwise run into a mounting difference between chrome and impact sockets), but I can't really complain since those extensions aren't supposed to go on a gun anyway.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The wobble extensions and 17mm impact sockets are the most utter poo poo I have ever used from HF. I have a 44" with the side locker at work and its admired at any shop its been too. There PRO impact sockets have taken a gently caress ton of beating. Even so far as to put an adapter for 3/4 on it and blasting a seized together Volvo wheel lug bolt thing. The only other complaints is the flex head ratchets get old man limp REALLY quick.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I keep thinking of buying one of the 44" boxes. How well do the drawers stay closed over a bumpy floor? The store model doesn't have much of a detent on them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
IIRC they are actually rubber sleeves over the nubs in the back, and can be replaced with calimari-style snippets of vacuum hose or surgical tubing to customize the detent strength. They will eventually wear out, and apparently the stock HF rubber is inconsistent anyway, so the store model detents are usually garbage. The one at my local HF is the same way.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

oxbrain posted:

I keep thinking of buying one of the 44" boxes. How well do the drawers stay closed over a bumpy floor? The store model doesn't have much of a detent on them.

Never really rolled mine anywhere then where its sat since October. And when it was at the dealership it didn't move either. There kinda bulky to roll around. The 100$ black four drawer or red five drawer are much more mobile and actually hold a decent amount of tools.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Splizwarf posted:

Meh, that's a wobble extension, which we've all recommended against in here. v:v:v They're garbage.

I do have a set of wobble extensions from HF, but the one in question is a pain old straight extension that just buckled under the load.

Though by the time the socket was finished winding it up, it certainly looks like a wobble.

Some stuff there is great, some isn't... All depends on the factory and whether they're trying to save a nickel by passing off mild steel as tool steel. Not downing everything there, I love my impact socket set and some other stuff.

I'm just saying that it isn't on the same quality level. Gearwrench or Lowe's Kobalt brand is probably more equivalent, at least in my experience. I don't do this for a living though, so it's not a lost paycheck if my tool breaks and I've gotta run to the store to replace it vs having the truck swing by and take care of it immediately. I think that more than slight variances in quality, that's what you're really paying for with the premium brands vs midrange vs bargain.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
My bad, it looked like some un-battered crowning was above the ball. In that case, ugh, sorry man. That's a pretty impressive failure.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wait we're anti-wobble extension now? I've used my wobble extensions a lot and they've solved a lot of annoying problems. To do the crankshaft position sensor on a Jeep 4 liter without dropping the transmission pretty much requires a whole drawer filled with wobble extensions.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

We like wobble extensions, but they're not intended for high-torque usage and should be expected to break if used for them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah. Admittedly I've never put serious torque through mine (a Husky set of 3/8 wobbles purchased at Home Depot) and have never needed them to do CPS/BH bolts on a jeep, just a ujoint at the end, but they're quite nice.

Definitely something I wouldn't buy at HF... it breaks the "lots of torque through a small piece of chinesium" rule.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Just bought a new 2 tonne trolley jack from Halfords.

Opened the box and the cardboard is soaked in oil, so is the cylinder.

Somehow, I am not going to give it the benefit of the doubt and see if it works.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Wait we're anti-wobble extension now? I've used my wobble extensions a lot and they've solved a lot of annoying problems. To do the crankshaft position sensor on a Jeep 4 liter without dropping the transmission pretty much requires a whole drawer filled with wobble extensions.

No no, specifically just the HF wobble extensions. They're loving awful. I've used wobbles by other brands and they worked great (which is sadly why I got some HF ones in the first place to try out). In my opinion, wobble extensions require a lot more precision in design/execution/materials than regular extensions, because the contact margins are a lot tighter. A normal extension can soak some up some bullshit for a while before it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If anyone is interested, there's a sale at Zoro tools today,
20% off on your order of $200 or more
25% off on your order of $300 or more
Use promo code SUMMERSAVER
Valid until midnight CT on July 28, 2015

That means that the FLIR E4 will be $749. http://www.zoro.com/flir-thermal-imaging-camera-80-x-60-flir-e4/i/G5281245/

Loads of other stuff, free shipping, and only tax in selected states. I'm buying some knipex, panavise, Fluke, and other brands.