Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

En Fuego posted:

So, I really love this Rally deck ... but it's essentially value/combo. I have a feeling it's the flavor of the week and it's GOT to have some glaring weaknesses, right?

What cards hose it that are currently legal?

Anger of the Gods and Hallowed Moonlight

I love Hallowed Moonlight so much. I hope no top deck plays it so I can continue to blindside CoCo, See the Unwritten, and Rally players. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bhsman posted:

Anger of the Gods, probably.

Anger can keep casted creatures off the board and exiled but it doesn't really do much against a rally for damage or card draw. Being that this deck has access to reclamation sage tormod's doesn't seem like a sure thing either.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Anger of the Gods and Hallowed Moonlight

I love Hallowed Moonlight so much. I hope no top deck plays it so I can continue to blindside CoCo, See the Unwritten, and Rally players. :getin:

Mardu dragons get access to both sideboard options. gently caress it, Mardu Dragons it is for this weekend.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

Mardu dragons get access to both sideboard options. gently caress it, Mardu Dragons it is for this weekend.

Actually, Hallowed Moonlight is great in Jeskai tokens decks since it triggers Ascendancy and cantrips and can gently caress over the following cards that are giant headaches for Jeskai tokens:
Rally the Ancestors
Genesis Hydra
See the Unwritten
Collected Company
Whisperwood Elemental
Raise the Alarm/Dragon Fodder/Hordeling Outburst/Secure the Wastes
Deathmist Raptor

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Anger of the Gods, probably.

Anger is a pretty terrible answer since it's Sorcery speed. The best answer is counterspells.

En Fuego posted:

So, I really love this Rally deck ... but it's essentially value/combo. I have a feeling it's the flavor of the week and it's GOT to have some glaring weaknesses, right?

What cards hose it that are currently legal?

I'm working on tweaking the list for regionals this week. Let me know if you have any good tech.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Agent of Erebos for decks that have black.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Sickening posted:

And full art land also shouldn't be in every set because we don't want to give more reasons to open packs. I mean these are basics lands. If they aren't thrown away in bulk things could change for the worse.

Also tokens should be rare because

Modern reprints seem to have been bad for packs sales so far.

Opening packs and cool and fun when you don't give a poo poo about mtgfinance.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Good point about Anger only being Sorcery speed; I had legit forgotten about Rally being an Instant. I still remember people at my store ripping those up as a joke because 'lol poo poo card'.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Good point about Anger only being Sorcery speed; I had legit forgotten about Rally being an Instant. I still remember people at my store ripping those up as a joke because 'lol poo poo card'.

I thought it was poo poo too. I'm nowhere near smart enough to come up with that deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I thought it was poo poo too. I'm nowhere near smart enough to come up with that deck.

I actually lost to this deck at an IQ before origins was released and I somehow doubt the guy sitting across from me came up with it, so it was out there already. It didn't finish well on the day but then again it didn't have lily and the other origins goodies.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I actually lost to this deck at an IQ before origins was released and I somehow doubt the guy sitting across from me came up with it. It didn't finish well on the day but then again it didn't have lily and the other origins goodies.

I saw rally decks at IQ's too but it was nowhere near as good as this new one. It had Siege Rhino's and Gary's and needed to rally for like X = 5 to win.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Something like Stain the Mind for Rally or Infinite Obliteration for Husk seems to turn the deck into just a pile of iffy creatures.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

Something like Stain the Mind for Rally or Infinite Obliteration for Husk seems to turn the deck into just a pile of iffy creatures.

That isn't true at all. The deck can win without Husk EASILY just with the ratpor/den protector value engine and liliana + the sac creatures. That's why it's by far the best rally deck.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

That isn't true at all. The deck can win without Husk EASILY just with the ratpor/den protector value engine and liliana + the sac creatures. That's why it's by far the best rally deck.

Well any deck with Den Protector/Raptor can win with just that, but forcing the deck and of play a straight game makes its performance much worse. The Jeskai tokens deck can win without Ascendancy, doesn't mean it can do so consistently.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah as simple as it is, the Husk seems to be the thing that really kicked it to the next level. Now you can partially go off and not be back at ground zero for your next Rally+hits like a freight train if they don't have a black blocker.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, decks like this are why I never completely poo poo on cards because you never know what sort of deck's context will make it magically good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qbert posted:

i can't look up cards to see what stain the mind does but infinite obliteration is the narrowest sideboard card in the world and almost certainly not worth a card

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't look up cards to see what stain the mind does but infinite obliteration is the narrowest sideboard card in the world and almost certainly not worth a card

Sideboard cards aren't chosen based on the number of different decks they can beat, but on the percentage of the expected field they can beat. If Abzan Rally becomes The Most Popular Deck In Standard and makes up Mono-B Devotion levels of the field, then a narrow sideboard card could still warrant a slot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

This makes so much sense
This guy is now rich

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Stain the Mind is Memoricide for I think 4B with convoke.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qbert posted:

Sideboard cards aren't chosen based on the number of different decks they can beat, but on the percentage of the expected field they can beat. If Abzan Rally becomes The Most Popular Deck In Standard and makes up Mono-B Devotion levels of the field, then a narrow sideboard card could still warrant a slot.

okay like sure that's possible but i honestly don't think this deck is gonna demand an answer. i mean i'd love for it to really it's just it's a hella janky deck.

also if a rally deck does turn out to be tier one i want the sultai version to win out, that one's got hella class

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

okay like sure that's possible but i honestly don't think this deck is gonna demand an answer. i mean i'd love for it to really it's just it's a hella janky deck.

also if a rally deck does turn out to be tier one i want the sultai version to win out, that one's got hella class

I agree with all of this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

I agree with all of this.

There is a version of the deck that is 5C and wins with Multiple Prupheros triggers that is interesting too.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

There is a version of the deck that is 5C and wins with Multiple Prupheros triggers that is interesting too.

Yeah I always assumed the card would go in a Boros build because Purphoros and Hammer of Purphoros just seemed like a natural fit. Although it's pretty obvious now that the deck really needs green for the graveyard enablers like Wayfinder. Maybe there's a Naya version that's more straight aggression and less grindy?

Edit: Just thought of another good hate card for the Rally deck. Hushwing Gryff. Turning off Merciless/Fleshbag/Satyr/Mogis' triggers basically means the only value off of a Rally is drawing cards off Haruspex. Gryff is versatile against a bunch of cards right now too.

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 27, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Darkest mage is playing rally atm. Who didn't see that coming.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I actually tried to make a b/w deck with rally the ancestors a while ago using mogis' marauder but it's way more legit now it has some more pieces to make it work properly

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

Darkest mage is playing rally atm. Who didn't see that coming.

He already said a few days ago he would likely be playing rally. I believe he's testing out some other decks though, including jeskai.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Edit: Just thought of another good hate card for the Rally deck. Hushwing Gryff. Turning off Merciless/Fleshbag/Satyr/Mogis' triggers basically means the only value off of a Rally is drawing cards off Haruspex. Gryff is versatile against a bunch of cards right now too.

I'm running Jeskai Aggro, and some decks I've seen run that card main. I think I'm going to try it.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

qbert posted:

Interesting Twitter argument happening right now among some pro players. Ari Lax tweeted that he regrets not trainwrecking his last draft at the GP, a draft which Josh Utter-Leyton was a part of, in order to potentially make Josh draft a worse deck. Doing so might have helped out Ari's friend Scott Rudin, who's competing with Josh currently for an At Large spot to the World Championships.

Lots of pros replied that this move seems awful. Ari argued that it's basically the same as refusing to draw for Top 8 to help a friend/teammate claim a spot.

Doing something like this definitely feels somehow more malicious than not drawing for Top 8, but on the other hand, I guess they're close to the same thing. Seems kinda scummy though.

Here's the whole conversation for what it's worth.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ari Lax is a dick and so are most of the people he teams with. I've never had a good experience with any of them.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Ari Lax is a dick and so are most of the people he teams with. I've never had a good experience with any of them.

I'd be interested in hearing your Ari Lax stories.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

I'd be interested in hearing your Ari Lax stories.

Sat next to him twice at Eternal Weekend last year and he was being a jackass to his opponent both times. Just didn't seem like a nice guy at all.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ok the rally deck is officially hilarious on MTGO- cast rally, 10 creatures immediately pop into play and 5 triggers go on the stack.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Eternal Weekend, who's going this year?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Speaking of Eternal Weekend, who's going this year?

I'll be there. Will also be at the SCG Legacy Open in DC.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

When I met Ari at an open he was nice and helped me with my deck :shrug:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I think my Week of Elves is finally over. I was 3-0-1 and 3-1 with modern and standard UG elves bewteen Mon & Weds, so on Fri I said I was going to force UG elves in draft -- only to get handed a stupid pool that included 2 shaman of the packs, elites, everything you need. Went 2-1, then foolishly tried to force elves in a second draft, it was terrible and I didn't win a game.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Sat next to him twice at Eternal Weekend last year and he was being a jackass to his opponent both times. Just didn't seem like a nice guy at all.

My buddy was at PT Theros playing hexproof. It is late in day one and he's doing pretty well. He's seated next to Lax, who finishes his match first. After writing his own match slip, Lax reaches out and takes my friend's slip and whips out his phone. He's entering in the names and the decks that they're on. My friend says, "What do you think you're doing, that's not your slip." Lax says, "Hey, it's not against the rules man." So my friend slaps his phone out of his hand, says, "Oops," and stares him down. Lax didn't call a judge, just grabbed his stuff picked up his phone and walked off.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My buddy was at PT Theros playing hexproof. It is late in day one and he's doing pretty well. He's seated next to Lax, who finishes his match first. After writing his own match slip, Lax reaches out and takes my friend's slip and whips out his phone. He's entering in the names and the decks that they're on. My friend says, "What do you think you're doing, that's not your slip." Lax says, "Hey, it's not against the rules man." So my friend slaps his phone out of his hand, says, "Oops," and stares him down. Lax didn't call a judge, just grabbed his stuff picked up his phone and walked off.

So tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

I can't imagine this being wrong when this is the guy I mean look at it.

Also lol that when I looked him up the first entry was a Wikipedia article. Lol which one of you made wikis for cardboard wizards?

• Locked thread