Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

scamtank posted:

The funny thing about IT WAS INEVITABLE turning into a catchphrase is that it's total filler in conversation vernacular. It doesn't mean or communicate anything. it's just an idle acknowledgement of whatever someone said. Toady himself said that he didn't have anything better in his sleeve at the moment.

You'd think he could have pulled from a list of noncommital filler phrases we ACTUALLY use. "Huh." "I see." "Okay." "Sure." "Yeah." "Uh huh." "Hm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, you would, wouldn't you.

The programmer is laboring. The thesaurus looks confused.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

scamtank posted:

Yeah, you would, wouldn't you.

The programmer is laboring. The thesaurus looks confused.

[CREATURE:THESAURUS]
[NAME:thesaurus:thesauri:thesauric]
[CREATURE_TILE:'T'][COLOR:2:0:1]
[FANCIFUL]
[DOES_NOT_EXIST]
[PREFSTRING:usefulness in poetry]
[ALL_ACTIVE]

you can actually add this to creature_fanciful.txt and it should work

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Fun Bay12 fact of the day: did you know that fey, deathless beings won't marry mortals? It's true, creatures of a certain castes will only mingle together if they both have or lack the MAXAGE token.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
does that mean a goblin and an elf would marry but never would either touch a filthy human or dwarf?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I don't think interracial marriages are still a thing, but I'm pretty sure you could have male dwarves, female dwarves and immortal mountain king dwarves who never marry, can die only in battle, appear only like once in a million births and have a special "god-king of dwarvenkind" entity position reserved for them and only them

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Been playing this again just to confirm that, yes, I am still terrible at Dwarf Fortress, forever. But gosh I love this game.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Star Guarded posted:

Been playing this again just to confirm that, yes, I am still terrible at Dwarf Fortress, forever. But gosh I love this game.

Matul Remrit 2: gosh I love this game

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been out of the game for a few months. Can someone link me to the FPS-optimization page I've heard about? I specifically built this PC for single-core optimization and it still weeps at the falling of cherry blossoms.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's still a problem? drat that sucks, I was thinking about firing DF back up again.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

New devlog!

Toady One posted:

The work on adventurer composition led into finalizing the new written content generally and making sure I had handled all of the promises I'd made to various people over the last few months. Philosophical study opens up different avenues of discussion that allow people to pass their values to both individual readers and to a lesser extent through the underlying civilization when there's a library with a copy. This doesn't impact specific ethics yet, so you won't have to worry that an elf-written book will make all your dwarves start eating dead bodies, but such a thing is now threatened for a later date by these changes. Poetry written in certain poetic forms can currently spread values before philosophers come up with specific language that can be used in prose, though not all civilizations will have such traditions.

Generally, there's more information in all of the written content now, and there are more sorts. For instance, after the difficult concept of an alternate history is tackled by historians, they can write books pivoting around the negation of particular events. Mostly it hasn't been earth-shaking... dwarves wondering what life would be like if an antelope man hadn't attacked their town or if a competition had turned out a different way. One historian wrote a book considering how things would have been if the author had remained an architect instead of becoming a historian a decade before. It would be possible to weight the event selected with an importance check, but there are complications as usual. There are also cultural histories, genealogies, atlases, chronicles, the various biographies I mentioned before, etc., which have their proper topics and sometimes some historical events selected, and they occasionally push a value agenda when the author and form is capable of it.

:frog:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Does that mean I can change history in the game world by creating an adventurer in year 1, writing a bunch of books about the evil elves and retire, then watch all the races kill the elves when I resume world gen?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Well, no. Not yet, not in the package we're getting.

e: oh hey, neat:

Warmist came up with a dedicated unit editor, as a sort of user-friendly extension to the gm-editor stuff. He's only included a skill editor so far, but apparently the framework is robust enough that you could easily extend it to edit other aspects, too.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 26, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Ramifications of alternate history/propaganda?

Amazing.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, that's...that's an interesting thing to try and wrap my head around. Toady has just laid part of the functional groundwork for dwarven propaganda. I imagine that once implemented that's going to lead to hilarious poo poo like puppet-master necromancers controlling world politics over a series of centuries through written manifestos, or worlds where goblins reign supreme due to their cultural victory via poetry.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Alright, time to collect your winnings. Who was it who picked Alternate History as this cycle's Thing You Really Didn't Expect to Show Up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TildeATH posted:

Alright, time to collect your winnings. Who was it who picked Alternate History as this cycle's Thing You Really Didn't Expect to Show Up.

Well, I didn't expect alternate history quite so early, but this:

my dad posted:

So, basically, Toady has modeled the spread of memes to a degree. This "useless flavor coding that does nothing but take up valuable FPS" will probably provide the framework and support for stuff like spreading religions, gaining support for revolutions, change of social norms, you name it.

was my first reaction to his updates about framework for art schools. :v:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I haven't really played the game because I just can't get a hang of the menus and the tile sets. But I do enjoy seeing peoples updates of funny poo poo that's happened in the game. Does Toady just decide to simulate things in the game just because? Just because he can?

How does Gnomoria stack up to Dwarf Fortress? I can play that game fairly alright, but just something about DF doesn't click with me and I want to enjoy it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Rotten Cookies posted:

How does Gnomoria stack up to Dwarf Fortress? I can play that game fairly alright, but just something about DF doesn't click with me and I want to enjoy it.

DF has much more around world generation ala civilizations (relations and wars as well), mega beasts, important figures. Every individual generated in the game has some sort of history associated, and at the least dwarves all have a deep personality. It truly aims to be a complete world simulation. Just generate a world and load it in Legends world to see what I mean. There is a ton of information for every world.

Gnomoria has none of this from what I can tell.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

necrotic posted:

...dwarves all have a deep personality...

Not that it means anything in gameplay terms.

(I swear I'm not as bitter as I sound.)
EDIT: Though my post history suggests otherwise.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 26, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

Does Toady just decide to simulate things in the game just because? Just because he can?

Generally Toady is working towards some sort of goal, it's just that he's a very "to create an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe" sort when it comes to simulating. "Can't have x without y which you can't have without z which you can't have without q which is I had to add a complete system for technological development that also includes philosophy in order to have taverns working properly."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nietzschean posted:

Been out of the game for a few months. Can someone link me to the FPS-optimization page I've heard about? I specifically built this PC for single-core optimization and it still weeps at the falling of cherry blossoms.

Dwarf Fortress: My CPU weeps at the falling of cherry blossoms.

EDIT:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, that's...that's an interesting thing to try and wrap my head around. Toady has just laid part of the functional groundwork for dwarven propaganda. I imagine that once implemented that's going to lead to hilarious poo poo like puppet-master necromancers controlling world politics over a series of centuries through written manifestos, or worlds where goblins reign supreme due to their cultural victory via poetry.

I'm looking forward to Necromancers writing treatises on themselves and how great they are and 400 years later having everyone love them.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 27, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

markus_cz posted:

Not that it means anything in gameplay terms.

[sub](I swear I'm not as bitter as I sound.)

It can affect stress and some things around crafting. Plus your mayor bans/demands what he likes.

Nothing major, but its still there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It also affects which dwarves become friends and enemies, for the 2 people who let their dwarves idle enough to make friends and enemies.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Haifisch posted:

It also affects which dwarves become friends and enemies, for the 2 people who let their dwarves idle enough to make friends and enemies.

Although, judging by some Toady's comments, we're not far from the point where (not completely introvert) dwarves will suffer from some sort of social starvation if they don't interact enough with other dorfs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A neat divergence from the accepted playstyle and towards what was probably intended all along: make a fortress that is actually idyllic and features as little work as possible so that dwarves have as much time as possible to mingle and develop their own stories and problems that the player must fix using only ham-fisted city-builder tools.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I can remember if it was vanity or immodesty, but a very low score in one of those makes dwarves completely immune to "unmet noble standards" stress. They still get the "dined in a horribly substandard dining room" type stuff, but they felt nothing as a result.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve

my dad posted:

dwarves will suffer from some sort of social starvation if they don't interact enough with other dorfs.

i am afraid that might create some sort of "goon forums" in generated world for such introverts.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now that it has been proposed, I am honestly very curious about what all one might do in order to optimize dwarf happiness and comfort. You can easily minmax it with broken mechanics such as making frequented rooms have waterfalls, but even when you do that most people presumably try to keep all their dwarves busy. To what degree, if any, can we automate and streamline the necessities of life? To my knowledge you can only get resources from a square by having a dwarf manually work it, but has anyone ever tried inventive ways to get crops, ore, and so on, out of the ground without using direct dwarf labour to do it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's not so much of this in vanilla DF but you ought to have a look at the Gnome mod, it has tons of that sort of thing like automated factories where a worker drops raw materials onto a conveyor and :step2: and out pops manufactured stuff.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One thing you'll want to check on with dwarves personality is something like "Dislikes authority" or something like that, cause for every time they speak to nobility they get a "Had to deal with a pillar of society" or something like that and it stacks. I almost had one of my legendary blacksmiths go berserk cause he had about 200 negative thoughts of speaking to a pillar of society.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hahahahaha I thought that meant only the supposed awe that dwarves get when they get to mingle with champions. That owns.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

hooman posted:

Dwarf Fortress: My CPU weeps at the falling of cherry blossoms.
yeah this is loving perfect

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
If I wanted to play DF would I be better off with the newest version or .34 Masterwork? I really like the depth Masterwork adds

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The new version is super good.

Masterwork may be complete for dwarves at least on the new version as well.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

The new version is super good.

Masterwork may be complete for dwarves at least on the new version as well.

how blissful i am

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I'm still pretty new at this game, and I'm having a problem where certain dwarves seem to ignore civilian alerts. Mostly, it's children, but the occasional adult seems to do it too. Every other dwarf in the fort is piling down stairs, and one idiot/child wanders up and out to get slaughtered. Is this a bug, or am I causing this through ignorance?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What size world is recommended? And how old?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

In the name of performance? A small one with ~250 years of history is plenty of room to play in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Size of world doesn't matter tremendously performance wise except it takes a little longer when embarking. One thing you might do if you like a colorful variety of neighbors (or just a whole lot of them) is to turn up Number of Secrets to max in worldgen parameters, which means more books are written, which means there can be more necromancer towers for you to embark near to. I think the radius is either 8 or 10 tiles around a given city for you to get traders/invaders from.