Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Have any of you guys ever fished Allatoona lake in North Georgia? I have been taking my son there for the last two weeks, as it is the only real spot to fish that I know of within an hour or so. We have tried everything (I am not a good fisherman, I get my info from the internet). Soft lures, hard top and bottom lures, various live bait, spinners, poo poo I don't even know what the name of it is. Different chums. We have managed to catch 2 4" bluegills in about 5 outings.

Is this lake dead, or do we need to up our game some more? Can you recommend any other fishing spots close by/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Dregs posted:

Have any of you guys ever fished Allatoona lake in North Georgia? I have been taking my son there for the last two weeks, as it is the only real spot to fish that I know of within an hour or so. We have tried everything (I am not a good fisherman, I get my info from the internet). Soft lures, hard top and bottom lures, various live bait, spinners, poo poo I don't even know what the name of it is. Different chums. We have managed to catch 2 4" bluegills in about 5 outings.

Is this lake dead, or do we need to up our game some more?

What time are you fishing? What location on the lake? What are the light conditions (sunny, overcast, rainy, ect)? Are you fishing on open water or over/under cover? Are you on a boat or on shore?

Looking online, Lake Allatoona seems to be undergoing the Allatoona Reservoir Habitat Improvement Program since 2002. There's maps of the locations of the fish attractors and habitat improvements they've sunk at http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/208. Also, it's bluegill breeding season here in the south, so look for those sandpit holes in the shallows, and fish over those with small hooks and tiny baits like wax worms or Gulp! Maggots. That's what I've had luck with getting the big eating size ladies up off the nests. That, or a nice spinner across their nose.

I've fished similar reservoirs, and know how frustrating it can be. Holy carp, y'all supposed to be dumb bluegills, why is this so hard.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Usually we start at sunup and leave when it starts getting warm. Most days were sunny and clear. Today was overcast. We usually fish at a little spot across the street from the highway 41 day use area. It is under a overpass, I think it is 75, but not sure. We fish off the shore.

I think we are going tot try Red Top tomorrow. I will keep an eye out for these sand pits.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DoctaFun posted:

Braid is sometimes preferred for trolling because you can run something like 20 lb braid(6 lb mono equivalent) instead of 10-12 lb mono and you get better strength, no stretch(sometimes a negative when trolling), and thinner diameter.

The thinner diameter means you can fit more line on your reel AND sometimes more importantly it means less drag in the water.

Trolling a crankbait with thinner diameter line will result in your crankbait running deeper(to a certain point). For a walleye fisherman this means you could get your bait closer to bottom without having to put as much line out, which can be beneficial.

In very clear water a lot of people will put on a fluorocarbon leader as braid is much more visible in the water than mono or fluoro, which can be another drawback of braid.

Also, if you are someone who likes to hold your rod while trolling, when using braid you will feel every wobble of your lure. As soon as you pick up some weeds or debris, you will immediately be able to tell that something is wrong. With experience you can do the same with mono and watching the tip of your rod, but it's much easier with braid.
I've found that when drift fishing on the rivers around here, if I use anything larger than good quality 12 lb flouro for my main line, that it becomes really difficult to feel what's happening - the force of the wind and river on the line can cause a pretty good vibration. I have a 30 lb braid mainline with a 20lb buffer, which gives me so much better feel that it's almost shocking. Also, braid sits on top of the water, which is pretty handy if you're throwing in moving water, because you can, for example, cast past a submerged obstacle and allow the current to carry your mainline over the obstacle while your lure/bait is on the far side. I'm quickly becoming more and more enamored of using braid.

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd love to see some research on fish seeing line and putting one and one together. It's most likely a myth and completely negligible on how much it affects bites. As long as it's not literally rope attached to a tiny hook it's probably not going to affect it in a measurable way.
Even in flyfishing where they use a huge thick main line which (usually) floats around on top of the water, there's a lot of debate about whether or not fish can see the colored line. I was listening to the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast the other day, and they had a write-in asking about line spook, and they went so far as to talk ab out how some people believe that you can spook some fish simply by waving your heavy mainline in the air over the fish - the shadow itself startles them, according to some.. And then there was that movie A River Runs Through It, with the "shadow casting" line which a bunch of idiots have been :fap: over for decades now (basically, the claim is that you can use the shadow of your fly to lure fish out, before you get anything on the water) : https://youtu.be/349T069TTik?t=1m45s (also for LOLs, watch the actor beat the water like an old lady with a broom around 2:20)

quote:

He called it shadow casting...
keeping his line above water long enough and low enough...
to make a rainbow rise.
And I realized that in the time I was away...
my brother had become an artist.

Apparently, fly fishermen in new zealand and stuff go way overboard and camouflage rods and camo/tan/grey fly lines are really popular down there however, not many others believe it's any kind of factor if you're using a proper leader and presentation.

LingcodKilla posted:

Funny it got mentioned. I was at Dick's buying split rings and I recalled his question.

Looks like it could work.
Looks like it'll cause a lot of drag on the line as it comes out of the reel, which could gently caress up casting distance or cause tangles. If I was really concerned about keeping my rod I'd probably rig up a long lanyard and clip it to my belt or boat or the rodholder - I've seen little dealies to tie your rod to the holder in case a biggun yanks it out of the boot. Hell, just cut a 1' section of pool noodle and loop some paracord through it, leave a few feet and then loop it around your rod, so you have a bouy to grab if it goes down. :science:

As I think I mentioned, my brother overturned a canoe full of gear once so it can certainly happen, and I was on Table Rock Lake in Missouri many years back on a guided bass trip with my brother and dad, and the guide set down his rod with the lure dangling off the size 10-20 feet down and 2 feet of the tip sticking over the side, and a big fish nailed it and snapped it clean off, and nearly took the whole rig in before he dove onto the handle and reel and saved it. ;)

extra stout posted:

I don't want poo poo on you guys too much but how do you actually lose a rod? I grip mine like a baseball bat that cost more money than my baseball bat so it seems impossible, the only thing I can picture is if you're running multiple rods in a row and one of them hooked a killer whale or something at sea.
No way I can hold my rod that hard all day, I can't fish with that much tension in my hands and arms and shoulders - I fish to not get RSI, plenty of that at my work thank you! :D

I've totally had fish nearly pull my rod out of my hand many times.. And half the reason I'm so big on keeping a couple fingers over the reel seat, is partly because it's way easier to hold on to if you get a hook in something without noticing, or if, say, your reel seat splits and your reel tries to go flying off your rod while you're fighting a fish... Which I've also had happen! :laugh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 24, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

coyo7e posted:

And half the reason I'm so big on keeping a couple fingers over the reel seat, is partly because it's way easier to hold on to if you get a hook in something without noticing, or if, say, your reel seat splits and your reel tries to go flying off your rod while you're fighting a fish... Which I've also had happen! :laugh:

This happened to my wife when we were fishing the Kenai in Alaska on our honeymoon. She had a really nice silver salmon on that was running in the current and as she was trying to reel it in the reel popped off the reel seat. This was all going down with a TV camera in her face and a seal chasing her hooked fish(they swim up the river and will occasionally steal hooked fish from fishermen apparently). It was pretty hilarious but also chaotic.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Guys try holding your rods so the reel seat goes between you pinky and ring finger. Vance Tice gave me that tip 3 years ago and I've been doing it ever since. It's the way they are meant to be held. You get much more strength in the butt of the rod since it forces the butt to align against your forearm. If you hold reel seat between index and middle or middle and ring finger your have much less lifting force to apply.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 24, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My old Pro-Gear reals drag finally gave up the ghost and went out on me yesterday. Ugh. Dont have money to repair or replace at this moment. Heard it wasnt too bad to service so on the quest for a good video later today.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Those Rod floats work fine as long as the geometry of the real to the first guide doesn't allow the line to hit. That exact brand is pretty much what every kayaker I know uses, except for the cheapskates who use cut up pool noodles.

The only time I have had an issue with the float is when I am reeling in a slack line after a failed hook set.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Anchors suck on a kayak. Stakeout poles are awesome. New ones cost $100 bucks new. Solution? Go to the hardware store.

What you need:

8' 3/4" PVC pipe
1 T connector
8' 3/4" Dowel rod(if they only have 4'. get two and pin/glue them together
2 Carriage bolts and nuts
Gorilla glue
JB Weld

Put the dowels inside the PVC with a generous application of gorilla glue. Leave 6-8" sticking out the bottom. Lay it horizontal and leave till the glue sets up. Sharpen the exposed wooden end to a point then mix and completely laminate with JB Weld. This will strengthen the end so it will hold up to being repeatedly smashed into rocks, oyster bars, etc. Let it cure overnight. Cut the top section off with about 1/2" pvc sticking out. Fill that void with more JD Weld, cap with the T piece and PVC cement. I've had good results putting two carriage bolts through the shaft to help hold it but YMMV. I used an Eye, but you can just drill through and tie a piece of parachute cord through the hole to clip on to.

The point

The top

They're pretty springy, which is good but won't break.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 26, 2015

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd love to see some research on fish seeing line and putting one and one together. It's most likely a myth and completely negligible on how much it affects bites. As long as it's not literally rope attached to a tiny hook it's probably not going to affect it in a measurable way.

It is blatantly obvious in certain cases -- drifting chunks for tuna or shallow water red snapper, lighter line gets hit way more often. You can actually watch snapper in a chum slick approach pieces attached to too heavy line, look at it for a few seconds, and take off. Put on some 15 lb test and they'll gulp it down (and break you off instantly). I have dropped a GoPro over a reef with bait tied on a few times, and you would be shocked at how often fish approach a bait, study it, and swim off.

Before fluorocarbon was readily available, we used steel for tarpon leaders. When fluoro came out it only took a few trips fishing it side by side with steel to see it gets more strikes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I guess it depends on the fish. I use a hunk of rebar dipped in chrome as my favorite lure. Fish are dumb. How some have eyes good enough realize that a long very thin object is dangerous compared to a lovely chunk of metal lure is odd.

I'm fishing in 30 to 150ft of water though.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Hey has anyone got tips for fishing in the inland Michigan area (not upper peninsula)? I was thinking grabbing my fly rod and hitting up the Au Sable River System but would love to hear of any other river system worth looking. I'm based out of the Detroit area.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

I guess it depends on the fish. I use a hunk of rebar dipped in chrome as my favorite lure. Fish are dumb. How some have eyes good enough realize that a long very thin object is dangerous compared to a lovely chunk of metal lure is odd.

Depends on the species of fish, the mood, the weather, the tide, etc. I've had ladyfish eat gotcha plugs that were just laying in the dirt motionless. Same fish will sometimes not touch live shrimp. Tarpon in particular have good vision. In Puerto Rico you can buy anchovies and feed them in a big marina and it's crazy to watch 5 huge fish come racing over from 50 yards away when you throw a 3" anchovy out.

Point being on some days you can catch a using your anchor rope, others only the most delicate presentation will get taken, if that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

I've been poking around into making more and more of my own gear as I get re-acclimated to fishing and teach myself new methods and concepts as I go. I've been thinking of making some spoons and spinners, and tossing around the idea of hitting up a Goodwill store and buying up a bunch of old silverware like butter knives and spoons, to cut, drill holes in, and use as lures, or flashers. You don't need much in the way of tools, except for a decent pair of split ring pliers for when your thumbnails get torn up. I wish there was one of those penny-smashing machines around here, maybe I can leave a few coins on the tracks and put some holes in them. ;)

I know that you can buy those banana-shaped weights with eyelets on both ends, and paint them up a little and stick a hook on, and catch jetty and rock fish all day long.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 27, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

I've been poking around into making more and more of my own gear as I get re-acclimated to fishing and teach myself new methods and concepts as I go. I've been thinking of making some spoons and spinners, and tossing around the idea of hitting up a Goodwill store and buying up a bunch of old silverware like butter knives and spoons, to cut, drill holes in, and use as lures, or flashers. You don't need much in the way of tools, except for a decent pair of split ring pliers for when your thumbnails get torn up. I wish there was one of those penny-smashing machines around here, maybe I can leave a few coins on the tracks and put some holes in them. ;)

I know that you can buy those banana-shaped weights with eyelets on both ends, and paint them up a little and stick a hook on, and catch jetty and rock fish all day long.

Any poo poo will work.

We caught a fish with it just to prove it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
First time I fished Resurrection Bay the guide had us all fixed up with the proper gear at the proper depth (deep) and no one was catching anything. I pulled out a bass fishing lure and he literally laughed at me but within about 30 seconds of fishing relatively shallow I had a good sized rock fish and no one was laughing. I consistently caught fish all day while no one else caught anything. That lure was worth it's weight in gold that trip. That was amazing trip. I also caught a small shark but tossed it back. And a sea lion was playing peek a boo with us. At one point while I leaned over looking into the water he bounced up and came within a hair of kissing me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

coyo7e posted:

Depends on the fish but you can catch some species on nearly anything

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well I dunno what you keep in your toolbox but I doubt I have many of those just laying around uncared-for.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Grab one of the ones you do care for then :shrug:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The perch season is heating up!

I went out today to Weems Creek, which is a tributary of the Severn River near Annapolis MD. The Severn is a great perch fishery, with a ton of feeder creeks and coves. Weems usualy isnt very fruitful, but due to an old low bridge, is often totally free of powerboats. I caught about a dozen perch, all around the sizes below:

Everything was caught on this lure:

Which is a "Woodie's Spinner", which is made locally specifically for Severn perch fishing. They are kind of magic and sadly priced to match. This winter I am going to fully get into lure making so I can knock off my own versions.

An otherwise fine day was somewhat marred by the frustration of several large fish throwing the hook before I could boat them. On maybe a dozen occasions, I hooked up with something powerful enough to bend my Light rod almost double. I would set the hook (or so I believed) and begin to fight the fish in. Every time it would manage to throw the hook, sometimes right at the side of my yak. The Woodies spinner has a very small hook, so I tried upsizing to a Strike King spinner with a larger hook, but naturally I never got a hit on it. Returning to the Woodies, I began to catch again, but would again lose fish.

I am not sure what was happening. I suspect that I am not setting the hook hard enough, but on each occasion I was able to fight the fish for a time, and I am unsure if a perch would really hold a hard lure for so long. My rod is a 5'6" Tsunami 5 Star Light weight. The speed isn't listed, but it flexes maybe 1/3 of it's length when the tip is loaded. I would love to hear any theories as to what is going on.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

bunnielab posted:

The perch season is heating up!

I went out today to Weems Creek, which is a tributary of the Severn River near Annapolis MD. The Severn is a great perch fishery, with a ton of feeder creeks and coves. Weems usualy isnt very fruitful, but due to an old low bridge, is often totally free of powerboats. I caught about a dozen perch, all around the sizes below:

Everything was caught on this lure:

Which is a "Woodie's Spinner", which is made locally specifically for Severn perch fishing. They are kind of magic and sadly priced to match. This winter I am going to fully get into lure making so I can knock off my own versions.

An otherwise fine day was somewhat marred by the frustration of several large fish throwing the hook before I could boat them. On maybe a dozen occasions, I hooked up with something powerful enough to bend my Light rod almost double. I would set the hook (or so I believed) and begin to fight the fish in. Every time it would manage to throw the hook, sometimes right at the side of my yak. The Woodies spinner has a very small hook, so I tried upsizing to a Strike King spinner with a larger hook, but naturally I never got a hit on it. Returning to the Woodies, I began to catch again, but would again lose fish.

I am not sure what was happening. I suspect that I am not setting the hook hard enough, but on each occasion I was able to fight the fish for a time, and I am unsure if a perch would really hold a hard lure for so long. My rod is a 5'6" Tsunami 5 Star Light weight. The speed isn't listed, but it flexes maybe 1/3 of it's length when the tip is loaded. I would love to hear any theories as to what is going on.

Not sure what other species are in that body of water, but something with a hard mouth could be to blame. Small hooks and light action rods will make it tough to really set the hook on something with a hard mouth.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Can anyone help me find adaptive fishing resources in the Tampa, FL area? My father in law is a handicapped veteran who is fully left side paralyzed(unable to move his left arm or leg) but mobile, in that he can walk with a cane.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

lord1234 posted:

Can anyone help me find adaptive fishing resources in the Tampa, FL area? My father in law is a handicapped veteran who is fully left side paralyzed(unable to move his left arm or leg) but mobile, in that he can walk with a cane.

Have you talked to Black Dagger? Your father-in-law is exactly the kind of person they were founded to help.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I caught a bass:

I caught him on a stick bait on a jighead, swimming it like a minnow. Which made me think, why not just use small swimbaits for LMB? I have never really seen or read of anyone doing this and looking around the only online discussion seems to center around dudes using huge 8" baits for huge rear end bass. It seems to make sense that if I am trying to make a worm look like a minnow, to just use a minnow-sized swimbait, right?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bunnielab posted:

I caught a bass:

I caught him on a stick bait on a jighead, swimming it like a minnow. Which made me think, why not just use small swimbaits for LMB? I have never really seen or read of anyone doing this and looking around the only online discussion seems to center around dudes using huge 8" baits for huge rear end bass. It seems to make sense that if I am trying to make a worm look like a minnow, to just use a minnow-sized swimbait, right?

Nice fish, and lots of things work, some trends are more out of how fun it is over how effective it is. I'm pretty sure you can catch more bass with a big senko worm going up and down a growth of weeds, but that doesn't stop a huge portion of bass fisherman from buying 10 dollar artificial frogs and practicing how to walk, hop and dance them.

I caught a 2 pound bass on a little metal spinning buzzbait on a day out on the lake where my friend who's an experienced bass fisherman couldn't get a bite on his topwater frog, then ended up with a pickerel on it instead.

As far as the rig you're describing goes, here it would probably catch really nice crappies and really unimpressive bass once in a while, but that doesn't mean it might not be perfect for whatever spot you're going to.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Big bait = big fish. Try out one of those baby ducky lures.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ You just gave me an idea involving dubber duckies.. ;)

DoctaFun posted:

Not sure what other species are in that body of water, but something with a hard mouth could be to blame. Small hooks and light action rods will make it tough to really set the hook on something with a hard mouth.
Also since he mentioned he's using the same lure all day long, probably could use a couple licks with a hook sharpener after each fish.

lord1234 posted:

As mentioned above there are tons of wounded warrior groups, and a lot are specifically about going out fishing and hunting and stuff with other vets - there's one near me that specializes in giving boat rides to disabled vets, since the river and estuary fishery here is such a big deal. Chris Kyle was spearheading one when he was killed. I know of a few west coast ones but a couple quick google searches or calls probably can find you some resources.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 30, 2015

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone know if they make bait casting reels for ultralight rigs? I'm shooting for 4lb line for compact trout fishing with small spoons and rapala divers.

I already have a great spin cast reel, but the wife keeps getting it snarled. I figure a bait cast might be more her speed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

gamera009 posted:

Anyone know if they make bait casting reels for ultralight rigs? I'm shooting for 4lb line for compact trout fishing with small spoons and rapala divers.

I already have a great spin cast reel, but the wife keeps getting it snarled. I figure a bait cast might be more her speed.
Yup! They certainly do. The tough part is sticking to lures with enough heft to use their own momentum during the cast.

They make enclosed full-size spincasting reels and if she can't handle a "vanilla" spincaster, I suspect she'll make a horrible abortion out of a baitcasting reel's line. Maybe try one of the enclosed front ones, so all she has to do is press butan and swing. She might even get a kick out of it if you find one of the pre-packaged pink girly-girl ones with strawberry shortcake or something on it, but they sell adult sized ones, I saw a rack of tehm at Cabelas the other day and I've met guys now and then who use them because they're physically unable to not ruin other kinds of reel.

Casting small and light gear with a baitcaster is tricky though, and takes an entirely different style than spinning reels. This might be useful information, http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/reel_selection.html

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 30, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Yup! They certainly do. The tough part is sticking to lures with enough heft to use their own momentum during the cast.

They make enclosed full-size spincasting reels and if she can't handle a "vanilla" spincaster, I suspect she'll make a horrible abortion out of a baitcasting reel's line. Get one of the enclosed front ones, so all she has to do is press butan and swing. She might even get a kick out of it if you find one of the pre-packaged pink girly-girl ones with strawberry shortcake or something on it, but they sell adult sized ones, I saw a rack of tehm at Cabelas the other day and I've met guys now and then who use them because they're physically unable to not ruin other kinds of reel.

Casting small and light gear with a baitcaster is tricky though, and takes an entirely different style than spinning reels.

Some of those zebcos are quite pricey and seem to be "good enough:" quality. Considering buying one for my wife (she's simply not a fisher but wants to join in the fun when I take the kids).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

Some of those zebcos are quite pricey and seem to be "good enough:" quality. Considering buying one for my wife (she's simply not a fisher but wants to join in the fun when I take the kids).
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/spincast-combos/_/N-1100312/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104595480

30 bucks for a rod and reel combo.

Comedy option http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...Y_SEQ_104416380

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah.... I bought my kids each one.... Not sturdy but they do seem to do the basics. Not sure the poles are up to the bigger trout they could hook up with.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah.... I bought my kids each one.... Not sturdy but they do seem to do the basics. Not sure the poles are up to the bigger trout they could hook up with.
The adult ones come with 10 lb test, they're medium-light, they will hold anything that is still able to be called a trout. The real issue is less the rod strength and more the person holding the rod probably not fighting the fish optimally for the rod, and that those little rods have no butt so anything big enough to break the rod would probably yank the whole drat thing out of your hand. And you could always buy the reel and put it no a nicer rod. I noticed some of the nicer ones no the cabelas website have steelhead-fighting butts on them, so I imagine they would do the job.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 30, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

The adult ones come with 10 lb test, they're medium-light, they will hold anything that is still able to be called a trout. The real issue is less the rod strength and more the person holding the rod probably not fighting the fish optimally for the rod, and that those little rods have no butt so anything big enough to break the rod would probably yank the whole drat thing out of your hand. And you could always buy the reel and put it no a nicer rod. I noticed some of the nicer ones no the cabelas website have steelhead-fighting butts on them, so I imagine they would do the job.

Of course my WIFE found the silly rainbow trout pattered rod by some half-decent B grade manufacture and declared she would fish with that because she's a GIRL. Whatever it will take to have her participate I suppose. She reeled in a 40lb mahi-mahi on our honeymoon and she never lets it go every time I bring home a large fish. "Oh thats nice. Not as a big as my fish though".

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

My wife is an avid fisher-person. She just doesn't seem to do well with the spincast. She fly-fishes though, so I figured the bait cast would do her well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

Of course my WIFE found the silly rainbow trout pattered rod by some half-decent B grade manufacture and declared she would fish with that because she's a GIRL. Whatever it will take to have her participate I suppose.
Well if it breaks, she'll probably want to buy a nicer one next time. It's not worth it to judge the choices of others, especially the ones who are tied to your own happiness.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I have conquered bullhead, largemouth bass, and many black crappies that filled a pan with my ugly stick and 6 pound mono. The question is...can I get a pike on it? Soon, we will find out folks. Tired of all you fancy fisherman telling me the pike will chew through my line, so pikes up next.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

extra stout posted:

I have conquered bullhead, largemouth bass, and many black crappies that filled a pan with my ugly stick and 6 pound mono. The question is...can I get a pike on it? Soon, we will find out folks. Tired of all you fancy fisherman telling me the pike will chew through my line, so pikes up next.

Don't use any lures you care about. Steel leader or bust for northern and muskie!

EDIT: This muskie was under our boathouse in four feet of 84-degree water last week. Hard to estimate size but the measuring stick seemed to indicate 4ft+ when we laid it on the water above him. Thing was like 10in wide at the mouth. We left it alone to not stress it out and didn't go swimming the rest of the day...

Wandering Orange fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 1, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gamera009 posted:

My wife is an avid fisher-person. She just doesn't seem to do well with the spincast. She fly-fishes though, so I figured the bait cast would do her well.

Get her a bullwhip tipped with a trident. Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh

Wandering Orange posted:

EDIT: This muskie was under our boathouse in four feet of 84-degree water last week. Hard to estimate size but the measuring stick seemed to indicate 4ft+ when we laid it on the water above him. Thing was like 10in wide at the mouth. We left it alone to not stress it out and didn't go swimming the rest of the day...

Aw, good for you. Honestly, just watching the fish is sometimes better fun then the catching. Hence why I love the pond tanks at Bass Pro Shops.

If I could have a pond aquarium with just like, bluegill and pumpkinseeds, I would. But man that would have to be huge. I'd feel bad if I stuffed them in a tiny tank.

\/\/ Ducks are poo poo i'd much rather have muskies in my pond then rapist assholes\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Wandering Orange posted:

Don't use any lures you care about. Steel leader or bust for northern and muskie!

I ended up going black crappie hunting instead, but I'm still going to try it. Also your kindness to fish is appreciated, yet I can't help but acknowledge that the type of fish you were kind to is known for eating cats and ducks and poo poo, so spearing it might actually save many a duckling in future years to come.