Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My kitten is farting a lot. Is this a kitten thing or might it be that her food is just protein rich or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My long-term foster kitty is going back to her mommy in about an hour.

:(

She's really stress sensitive, and is already freaking out a bit (because I'm leaving town and my apartment is completely devoid of any furniture and she's really depressed). I'm making sure that lots of stuff that smells like me and my place goes with her - including weird things like her favourite cardboard box and a towel.

Any other suggestions for helping to ease her transition?

E. Here she is with her pretty eyes in her favourite cardboard box!

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 26, 2015

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We have mice!

Mocha is useless! She has entirely forgotten how to hunt.

Reduce her food, she'll remember.

Ripley I think Ripley is having bloody poops, either that or possibly is having vaginal bleeding despite having been spayed? She gave birth by caserean a few months ago and had her ovaries removed at the same time.

Either way, vet on Monday.

There was a smear of a thick dark red substance on the exit from the litter box. Also maybe one of her poops was darker than normal but I'm not sure. She is otherwise behaving fine, eating and drinking and playing normally.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I want a business cat tie for my cat. She has cat business to transact and needs proper attire. wasn't there a seller around here?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

FreudianSlippers posted:

My kitten is farting a lot. Is this a kitten thing or might it be that her food is just protein rich or something?

It is absolutely a kitten thing.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Wroughtirony posted:

I want a business cat tie for my cat. She has cat business to transact and needs proper attire. wasn't there a seller around here?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SewSmooth

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

She is currently on break.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We have mice!

Mocha is useless! She has entirely forgotten how to hunt.

Dark secret #7: many, many domesticated cats are terrible at hunting anything

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kitten asses are an unholy gate to the most abominable of places. They will fart and poo poo and it will be terrible. God help you if you change their food too suddenly.

gonadic io posted:

There was a smear of a thick dark red substance on the exit from the litter box. Also maybe one of her poops was darker than normal but I'm not sure. She is otherwise behaving fine, eating and drinking and playing normally.

Dark red/bloody poops can mean a probable lower GI bleed. Black and tarry stool means the blood's been digested a bit. Normal activity is good but yeah, take her to see a doc.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 26, 2015

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Dark secret #7: many, many domesticated cats are terrible at hunting anything

Many years ago my family was watching TV when we heard one of our cats at the time crying and crying. She was usually a very quiet animal so we all turned to see what was going on. There was a mouse running across the floor and she was following right behind it, occasionally reaching out and touching it with one of her paws while continuing to cry. It was like there was some deep kitty instinct which told her to do something with this thing but she couldn't work out what on earth that might be. We just opened a door and the mouse ran out of it and she was left going ?????? about the whole incident.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm worried I lost the battle to keep my cat from peeing by the front door.

I've posted about this before. He's 13 years old, and started having diabetic problems back in late May/early June, during which he peed on the carpet by the front door. We changed his diet, gave him insulin twice a day, and Orbifloxacin every day, and it stopped. After about a month, we were told we could stop giving him insulin. His energy was up, he regained his apetite, and started gaining weight, but he started peeing in that area again. His blood sugar is still fine and a bladder culture revealed no problems. He lives with another cat, a female who doesn't like him. They share an eating and litter box space, unfortunately. The urine is in puddles, not sprays, but my sister has seen the male leaving it.

We cleaned it up puddles as they appeared with a Bissel Stain and Stink oxy cleaner. A week or two ago, I scrubbed some Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer all over the carpet, which seemed to work for a couple of days, but now I'm back where I started. I bought a black light and sprayed the areas that came up, and it didn't help.

Since I live at my dad's house still, he gets the final say in this, and he will absolutely not accept a litter box anywhere other than where they currently are, the basement. All I could do was move the boxes to opposite ends of the room. Feliway didn't to encourage him to use the area more.

In a couple of weeks, our family is going on vacation, so I have to figure out some solution before then.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 26, 2015

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

She is currently on break.

That's funhilde on SA. PM her, she might have ties in stock or be able to take an order.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I adopted a cat not too long ago, and over the past few days he's slowed down on eating, making odd noises and mouth movements (especially when eating, he moves like he's scared of his food), and has been really lethargic. I took him to the vet for a regular exam, scheduled before all this started, and they said it looks like he's going to need most or all of his teeth removed. I've scheduled the appointment where they'll look in depth and remove what needs removed if they deem it necessary, but wanted to know if anyone can share any experiences with this here. Is there anything I should ask, make sure the vet knows, etc.?

I wish I knew more about this cat, honestly. I got him from the local no-kill that took from from the kill shelter when he was about to be up, but the records they got from them are all messed and have two different birth years. He's somewhere between 5-7. The records for his vaccines all have dates from being at the second shelter, so he should be fine there. He's been declawed, so he must have been somebody's pet at some point, but beyond that it's a mystery. He was super sweet and friendly at the shelter and the first two weeks coming home, and just in the last few days has started hiding and being reclusive, which I'm certain given the noises and acts the hiding is because of the pain :(

edit: Gonna add a picture because I love it :3:

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 27, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

So my indoor cat has fleas somehow. He's had them for at least a month, I treated him with squeeze on stuff right away but I still find a few every time I use a flea comb on him. The house is carpeted too and they've definitely spread to a few rooms.

My housemate owns the place and he wants to quarantine the cat on the porch for three weeks. I think that's totally unnecessary because if he's being treated he's basically a walking flea bomb. Plus the poor guy is stressed enough with the fleas. My feeling is if I keep up with treating him and stay vigilant with vacuuming it should be fine. Anyone have experience with this that can back me up?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Puppy Galaxy posted:

So my indoor cat has fleas somehow. He's had them for at least a month, I treated him with squeeze on stuff right away but I still find a few every time I use a flea comb on him. The house is carpeted too and they've definitely spread to a few rooms.

My housemate owns the place and he wants to quarantine the cat on the porch for three weeks. I think that's totally unnecessary because if he's being treated he's basically a walking flea bomb. Plus the poor guy is stressed enough with the fleas. My feeling is if I keep up with treating him and stay vigilant with vacuuming it should be fine. Anyone have experience with this that can back me up?

He's not a walking flea bomb. The ones on him might die, but those in the carpet are just fine. Keep him treated and vacuum daily, emptying out the vacuum immediately every time (otherwise they will just crawl out of the vacuum).

Have you talked to your vet? When mine got fleas, we were given Capstar.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm going out of town this weekend and our fat rear end cat will try to eat all her food at once if I put it all out. What's a good timed bowl on Amazon that I can get for her?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Dienes posted:

Capstar murders all the fleas currently on the animal but anything in the environment will just hop back on him once it wears off. Advantage/Frontline are lovely and do nothing now, fleas are practically immune to them. Revolution is still pretty effective.

Fun Capstar story, we got an abused dog in as a rescue and it was covered in fleas, we gave it a Capstar and within 30 minutes it was like a war crime's worth of dead fleas in the dog run. I swept em up with a dustpan, had to be half a cup of fleas at least. Bathing that dog was sad, the water was running red off him for a good 5 minutes from all the scabs and flea dirt :smith:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Dienes posted:

He's not a walking flea bomb. The ones on him might die, but those in the carpet are just fine. Keep him treated and vacuum daily, emptying out the vacuum immediately every time (otherwise they will just crawl out of the vacuum).

Yeah, wrong term to use - I mean that they'll jump on him from the carpets and die as opposed to just hanging out or occasionally jumping on humans who immediately swat them away back into the carpet to live another day.

Basically, my thinking is keeping him locked away might not really be helping the situation (and I also feel bad for the cat).

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Well, I think I've figured out how to get him to eat. Warming his wet food up seems to make him want it more. He's eating it by patting it with his paw then licking it, which is a little weird I guess, but at least he is eating.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I adopted a cat not too long ago, and over the past few days he's slowed down on eating, making odd noises and mouth movements (especially when eating, he moves like he's scared of his food), and has been really lethargic. I took him to the vet for a regular exam, scheduled before all this started, and they said it looks like he's going to need most or all of his teeth removed. I've scheduled the appointment where they'll look in depth and remove what needs removed if they deem it necessary, but wanted to know if anyone can share any experiences with this here. Is there anything I should ask, make sure the vet knows, etc.?

I wish I knew more about this cat, honestly. I got him from the local no-kill that took from from the kill shelter when he was about to be up, but the records they got from them are all messed and have two different birth years. He's somewhere between 5-7. The records for his vaccines all have dates from being at the second shelter, so he should be fine there. He's been declawed, so he must have been somebody's pet at some point, but beyond that it's a mystery. He was super sweet and friendly at the shelter and the first two weeks coming home, and just in the last few days has started hiding and being reclusive, which I'm certain given the noises and acts the hiding is because of the pain :(

I don't want to be That rear end in a top hat, but my vet is pretty reluctant to do tooth removal. Their jawbones can be pretty fragile, apparently, and if they get fractured during the dental surgery, it's pretty bad.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I wasn't aware about what the other poster said, but I definitely recommend getting a second opinion. Having worked with vets, I know there are some that will bleed you dry if they have the chance.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'll check with another then to see what he says and if they agree. It's a vet I've taken all my pets to before and he's always done good by me, but could be worth a look. The inside of his mouth does look really terrible and it's in obvious pain, he was screaming and flailing just when they tried to get him to open his mouth to even look as part of the routine exam.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

I'll check with another then to see what he says and if they agree. It's a vet I've taken all my pets to before and he's always done good by me, but could be worth a look. The inside of his mouth does look really terrible and it's in obvious pain, he was screaming and flailing just when they tried to get him to open his mouth to even look as part of the routine exam.

Sounds like Feline Stomatitis.

I had 2 cats that had that...its some weird autoimmune thing and no one knows what's causing it.

They had all their teeth extracted and it cleared up...their jaws/gums hardened up and they were able to crunch up kibble after a while.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

:( poor guy.

I made the assumption that you didn't know the vet well since you just got the cat. He could definitely need it. A second opinion won't hurt, though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Isaac managed to simultaneously have his breath smell like cat kibble from eating and cat poo poo from licking his arse last night. That's gotta be some sort of achievement somewhere.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Another update on Lilac. Her digestive health is better but she is still dropping shits just in front of the litterbox.
I need to get her to return to aiming at the back of the box.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Millions of Crows posted:

Another update on Lilac. Her digestive health is better but she is still dropping shits just in front of the litterbox.
I need to get her to return to aiming at the back of the box.

I had that problem, so I went to lowes and got a big loving plastic box, one of the really long ones, for about 10 bux, put that in and filled it with litter, worked like a charm... for some cats a bigger box is the answer.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

AtomikKrab posted:

I had that problem, so I went to lowes and got a big loving plastic box, one of the really long ones, for about 10 bux, put that in and filled it with litter, worked like a charm... for some cats a bigger box is the answer.

I have a box with large sides to it, helps with aiming. If they can't get their but thole over the edge, it's in.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm certainly a fan of top entry boxes. Impossible to miss and reduces tracking (in theory).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Drythe posted:

I'm going out of town this weekend and our fat rear end cat will try to eat all her food at once if I put it all out. What's a good timed bowl on Amazon that I can get for her?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015...Bo-L&ref=plSrch

If you just want staggered feeding. She will eat well, but not starve, and it is cheap

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I used top entry boxes for awhile. I stopped using those because my cats became a little shy about using them, didnt bury their poops properly, didnt use them as often as they should. I went to high walled pans. A lot more scattering but they're doing their business a lot more and burying their poo poo like they should.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015...Bo-L&ref=plSrch

If you just want staggered feeding. She will eat well, but not starve, and it is cheap

I wanted to avoid one of those since fatty will stuff her face, throw up, and repeat.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Drythe posted:

I bought this earlier this month before a trip and am happy with it, despite the fact that it delivers more than a quarter cup on that portion setting.

CE Compass Large Automatic Dog Cat Pet Feeder PrograMMable Portion Control W/ LCD Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084YX8CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_oQ3TvbZBC8BR1

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

my cats timed it so he takes a poo poo RIGHT as I'm in the middle of a shower. Nothing smells quite as rosy as a well steamed cat poo poo...

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
My kitten keeps ripping up paper. How do I get her to stop?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Give her a pillow instead

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

demota posted:

My kitten keeps ripping up paper. How do I get her to stop?

Hide the paper.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Arriviste posted:

I bought this earlier this month before a trip and am happy with it, despite the fact that it delivers more than a quarter cup on that portion setting.

CE Compass Large Automatic Dog Cat Pet Feeder PrograMMable Portion Control W/ LCD Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084YX8CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_oQ3TvbZBC8BR1

I use this one(or a differently branded version of that model; there's a lot of those) and it's pretty reliable, though I also wish it dispensed less at the minimum portion setting.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Ferremit posted:

my cats timed it so he takes a poo poo RIGHT as I'm in the middle of a shower. Nothing smells quite as rosy as a well steamed cat poo poo...

My dad's cat would "poo poo and split" without covering it up. His dumps were so bad his other cat would wrinkle her nose, run in and bury it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes my other cat buries the unburied poops too. Then he takes it too far and makes it weird by cleaning the other cat's butthole.