Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

all the maps in the new mappool were random weird old maps noone had played for 10 years, and they were generally terrible. no tavern maps, asymmetrical maps, weird issues with creep AI, hugely imbalanced item drops etc.
there are a fair number of new-ish maps people actually play and like, but they're not in the standard wc3 mappool so to include them I guess they have to upload a patch or something?
whatever they have to do to include them, they haven't been willing to over the last 5 or so years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Yeah imbalanced maps are no good. Did they say anything that they'll revisit the maps and change up good ones and eliminate old ones? I wonder if they collected data on maps people did/didn't play?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doubtful. They probably just thought that people were being whiny for no reason, again, and decided to never touch the maps again. :(

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

L. Ron Mexico posted:

all the maps in the new mappool were random weird old maps noone had played for 10 years, and they were generally terrible. no tavern maps, asymmetrical maps, weird issues with creep AI, hugely imbalanced item drops etc.
there are a fair number of new-ish maps people actually play and like, but they're not in the standard wc3 mappool so to include them I guess they have to upload a patch or something?
whatever they have to do to include them, they haven't been willing to over the last 5 or so years

No tavern maps are dumb.

That said when I was grinding 25 win Human accounts I would totally just turn off poison maps (mostly Gnoll Wood) and leave Lost Temple on because I'm a scumbag and I'd laugh at anyone who played on Lost Temple as Night Elf.

Plus I mean like do we really need maps aside from Terenas Stand, Turtle Rock, Echo Isles, Road to Stratholme.

Also basically Terenas Stand was the best map.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 15, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

just dug up this definitive guide of the best WC3 custom games

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Man what how is "survival" (the one where you play as marines/unlockables stranded on the moon) not on there :(

also gently caress bounds maps on bnet ping.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What was the one where there were 2 teams on different islands and you built "silos" (towers) to launch missiles at the other? You also had like anti-missile missiles to intercept them and stuff like that. That was super fun. Also, if anyone ever wants to play FMVH, I would so be down for that. 3.0 never being released is the biggest tragedy in WC3. Other than, you know, blizzard abandoning anything to loving do with melee once they started getting that sweet MMO money. Or DotA, bots, ip locators, custom banlists, and all that associated horseshit absolutely completely taking over the custom scene. I don't even mind DotA that much or even mind AoS style games in general, but it attracted the absolute scummiest human beings.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
So were 'Are You a Retard,' and 'Revenge of the Niggers' any fun?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

From what I can remember they both sucked but Are You a Retard had a better joke going for it with trying to figure out if the author instructions were being sarcastic or genuinely helpful, with plenty of opportunities to laugh at less experienced players.

I guess it doesn't matter either way since you shouldn't have been playing anything other than DBZ Tribute and Uther Party.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shiverbane was great. I always played as the dragons and made a deal with the elf faction to unlock my god hero right off the bat.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I don't recognize the name on that list, what was that custom map where one person was the "wolf" and would turn into a wolf at night. You'd have to run away before day or someone would see you turn back to your human?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's Dark Deeds but I didn't play that one too much.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
That name rings a bell. I was never a fan of custom games. I'm probably a rarity. I didn't really like hero arenas, MOBAs, or tower defense games. I liked ones that still had a sort of RTS/RNG flare and, if it was Dark Deeds, that was one of my favorite custom games.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
There were several of them. One of them was uncreatively called Werewolf. I think Dark Deeds was another map with the same premise inspired by Werewolf, but with more fancy stuff added. I could never keep track of which version of which map I actually liked.

There was another map I liked called Two Gods or something where two players were gods and the other players would start the game by typing "I will follow light" or "I will follow darkness" and they would build their base, as well as monuments to power up their god. The god could give them some special units (with custom models!) and buffs and other boons, or dick over the enemy players.

The biggest problem was that unless you got a good 50/50 split on followers it was horrifically imbalanced and not fun.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 28, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't gods and followers also a scbw map concept?

I think the greatest disappointment was that hunter vs farmers was never as good as cat vs mice

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I never really played the original SC online, so the only thing I really know about the SC custom map scene is Aeon of Strife was the proto-MOBA (which I will always go :spergin: on and correct people who say it was DOTA, I have no shame). Also something about tower defense maps where you could stack photon cannons on top of each other.

I wish SC2 had a better custom map scene. People blame the Arcade browser interface, or the editor complexity, and I'm one of them. But honestly, I think the real problem is that nowadays if you're a talented person who wants to make a fun game you just pick up Unity or Unreal or whatever.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 29, 2015

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Brood War had some ridiculously fun maps between Golem Madness, Monster Rancher, Turret Defense and loads more that I can't remember. There was also that top vs. bottom fad for a while where it was a standard game with standard rules except on a no-nonsense, no-frills map and the entire point was to see who could spam the most stuff. This always resulted in fun things like max unit errors, Valkyries that couldn't fire, and so on. Those were the goddamn days :magical: I actually played loads more SC:BW online than WC3 online. With WC3 I was more in it for the campaign because I'm a giant nerd.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

giZm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWpiLecvdM
Singcast - Timg vs. Prower III part 1

i can't believe this was 7 years ago

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Blinn posted:

i can't believe this was 7 years ago

Man I didn't even know that was a thing

but c'mon who tower pushes with archmage/naga instead of archmage/firelord :v:. and apparently no ivories?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 2, 2015

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

Frostwerks posted:

What was the one where there were 2 teams on different islands and you built "silos" (towers) to launch missiles at the other? You also had like anti-missile missiles to intercept them and stuff like that. That was super fun. Also, if anyone ever wants to play FMVH, I would so be down for that. 3.0 never being released is the biggest tragedy in WC3. Other than, you know, blizzard abandoning anything to loving do with melee once they started getting that sweet MMO money. Or DotA, bots, ip locators, custom banlists, and all that associated horseshit absolutely completely taking over the custom scene. I don't even mind DotA that much or even mind AoS style games in general, but it attracted the absolute scummiest human beings.

The missiles/islands game was Metal Marines, which was a Wc3 remake of an old SNES game by the same name. Good stuff.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

where are Heroes and Empires, Battleships, and Footmen vs Grunts

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
DOTA 2 has custom maps now, and they're actually pretty fun! There are a few issues, and it's really early on so there's not a huge selection yet. But they have a lot of easier WC3 remakes (Enfos, Footman Frenzy), some of them by the same creators as the originals. Some of the stuff can take getting used to, though (as far as I can tell there's no a+move).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jsor posted:

DOTA 2 has custom maps now, and they're actually pretty fun! There are a few issues, and it's really early on so there's not a huge selection yet. But they have a lot of easier WC3 remakes (Enfos, Footman Frenzy), some of them by the same creators as the originals. Some of the stuff can take getting used to, though (as far as I can tell there's no a+move).

Holy poo poo theres an Enfos remake? Is it good? How many people play DOTA2 customs?

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

Xaris posted:

Holy poo poo theres an Enfos remake? Is it good? How many people play DOTA2 customs?

I think most of the custom games are pretty bad but it's also just the beginning. It was such a long time ago, but I seem to remember custom games in War3 being pretty boring when they first started out as well.

In other news, Blizzard has confirmed the possibility of another Warcraft RTS in the future

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fly Like Nimbus posted:

I think most of the custom games are pretty bad but it's also just the beginning. It was such a long time ago, but I seem to remember custom games in War3 being pretty boring when they first started out as well.

In other news, Blizzard has confirmed the possibility of another Warcraft RTS in the future

I hope blizzard realizes how important having a powerful UMS editor was for Warcraft 3 when possibly making the sequel.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They'll load it down with restrictions because they're terrified of another DOTA happening and not being able to monetize the poo poo out of it. Just like with SC2.

Honestly I can't see Blizzard making another good Warcraft RTS. The story and characters will be poo poo because Metzen is still in charge of the creative department and the game will be heavily dumbed down because modern design standards. Just look at Starcraft 2 and how badly that's been received past the initial launch of WoL. Really, really depressing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Of course even if a full game doesn't materialise, it's not necessarily the end of the world. Heroes of the Storm game director Dustin Browder teased a new mode that could come to the company's MOBA in the future bearing similarities to the much-loved Warcraft III.

the gently caress does this mean

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Shortest Path posted:

They'll load it down with restrictions because they're terrified of another DOTA happening and not being able to monetize the poo poo out of it. Just like with SC2.

Honestly I can't see Blizzard making another good Warcraft RTS. The story and characters will be poo poo because Metzen is still in charge of the creative department and the game will be heavily dumbed down because modern design standards. Just look at Starcraft 2 and how badly that's been received past the initial launch of WoL. Really, really depressing.

Eh. SC2 wasn't loaded down with restrictions. It was loaded down with neglect, lovely custom map ui/interface and navigation, really loving hard to use actor system, and rather complete lack of assets (compared to WC3 which had enough you could make almost a dozen races-worth alone). Plus times have changed and theres' about a million free/cheap other games to play now and more serious devs can easily jump onboard unity or something.

I never really played SC2 ladder much, I mostly stuck to customs and used to develop Squadron TD for awhile, but I thought SC2 was a pretty fair modernization of SC1? Perhaps a bit too focused on competitive esports. I mean yeah story was poo poo and another WC4 will/could have a poo poo campaign too, but I think they could pull off a decent multiplayer game at least.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 13, 2015

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

Zoness posted:

the gently caress does this mean

It's Dota 2 but you build your ancient and mine gold

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Fly Like Nimbus posted:

It's Dota 2 but you build your ancient and mine gold

More like a dumbed down Diablo.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a mod that makes the game like Warcraft II?

I'd love to see Ogre Magi with Bloodlust on Auto-Cast fight Paladins with Heal.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i want to play some drat skibi TD

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

i want to play some drat skibi TD

:agreed:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
this afternoon, i'm going to pick up a copy of war3 since i lost my discs at some point

maybe we can get a goon game going over the next few days?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rand alPaul posted:

I actually thought about this like loving years ago but I tried making aoe2 custom maps and even reading the strategy guide at books a million way back in the day there was no way in hell I was capable of doing it :/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Rand alPaul posted:

It would be so useful to have a modern strategy UI for WC2, but just imagine how terribly overpowered orcs will be. Bloodlust is amazing. Having that cast on everything will make humans irrelevant.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ogre magi were really good in general. Runes was excellent as well. Floating eye wasn't amazing but it served its purpose well enough.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

where are Heroes and Empires, Battleships, and Footmen vs Grunts

battleships is on there

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

Ogre magi were really good in general. Runes was excellent as well. Floating eye wasn't amazing but it served its purpose well enough.

Polymorph is good (albeit too expensive) but I don't think there is a better WC2 spell than bloodlust, especially if it was auto-cast everywhere. Paladins ain't got poo poo against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Polymorph was OK against high cost units like dragons, but mage mana was far more efficient with blizzards with a touch of invisibility thrown in. I think Deathknights were a bit better with D&D/haste, and occasionally unholy armour. Bloodlust was king though, and I don't know why anyone would play Human.