Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
you can bite the end of a guitar pick to give it a little more grip, but I don't find any problem gripping a smooth pick anyway so I don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The idea of putting sand paper on a pick makes my skin shiver. Also, like Tampa I don't have problems holding on to a pick.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Best pick

:colbert:

I was speaking to someone on facebook earlier. He told me, in 100% seriousness, that he leaves his guitars close to his speakers to "keep the wood awake". Apparently if you don't play your guitar for a while something something molecular cohesion and it "forgets" how to resonate.

No words.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
because we all know once a tree dies it starts to lose its musical abilities almost immediately, you gotta keep it warmed up

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

I was speaking to someone on facebook earlier. He told me, in 100% seriousness, that he leaves his guitars close to his speakers to "keep the wood awake". Apparently if you don't play your guitar for a while something something molecular cohesion and it "forgets" how to resonate.

No words.

You really are a magnet for loons aren't you? Also 10p > 20p, you can use the ridged edges on 10p coins for garishly high pitched raking sounds if you saw against the strings with them.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

You really are a magnet for loons aren't you? Also 10p > 20p, you can use the ridged edges on 10p coins for garishly high pitched raking sounds if you saw against the strings with them.

Facebook guitar groups are nutty as gently caress. Until recently I've never heard the "POLY MUFFLES TONE" argument in the wild, now I've joined a load of facebook groups I see it at least once every 2 days. I even got kicked out of one because I designed CAD plans for a guitar to be made using MDF and plywood.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
Obviously the best picks are ~laser~scanned from a worn vintage pick used by a celebrity, as lasers are well-known for their ability to capture mojo.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/eric-johnson-classic-jazz-iii

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Obviously the best picks are ~laser~scanned from a worn vintage pick used by a celebrity, as lasers are well-known for their ability to capture mojo.

So it's a copy of worn pick? That's amazing.

I should probably mention that I was on local radio! I was invited on at 2pm Monday and I was in the show 10:40am Tuesday. The only instrument I had that wasn't dripping wet with varnish/paint was a dumb purple furry thing, so that's what I took in. I didn't even had time to put strings on it!

Here's a picture of my goony self with the DJ (and the guitar);

I will upload the audio to youtube as soon as I work out how to rip radio shows off iPlayer.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
wtf i thought you were an echidna

sout
Apr 24, 2014

shiksa posted:

Was basically typing this out, it's very difficult for me to imagine you as anything other than your av :shrug:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi, Dunlop Tortex friends!

I started out playing what my guitarist friend played: Fender thins (It's what EVH plays!)

Then I moved up to medium, but I had oily skin and I dropped them all the time. So I started with Tortex (stopped dropping picks) and worked my way gradually up through sizes until I landed on 1.44mm. Purple 'Tex, that's my wheelhouse.

Stupid guitar poo poo.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hi, Dunlop Tortex friends!

I started out playing what my guitarist friend played: Fender thins (It's what EVH plays!)

Then I moved up to medium, but I had oily skin and I dropped them all the time. So I started with Tortex (stopped dropping picks) and worked my way gradually up through sizes until I landed on 1.44mm. Purple 'Tex, that's my wheelhouse.

Stupid guitar poo poo.

I think most of us go through a ton of picks because it is a cheap and easy way to adjust feel. Tortex are just REALLY good for rhythm for me, I can't imagine playing an acoustic with anything else (I was on a beach playing with a jazz III on my Yamaha, and it was just simply miserable). I just keep a bunch of picks in little piles and grab what feels right for what I am playing. I think Tortex can be used for anything while, I the smaller Jazz picks feel more constrained. I have the gigantic Jazz III style ones which are kind of a nice change.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
my buddy plays with those super super thin ones that bend like crazy constantly. i could def see those for rhythm but whenever he does a lead line i just dont understand how he can possibly do that and feel like he has any control whatsoever.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
The only true pick

I'd definitely second that facebook groups are a constant source of entertainment for how insane people get about their wares/setups.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

City of Tampa posted:

you can bite the end of a guitar pick to give it a little more grip, but I don't find any problem gripping a smooth pick anyway so I don't do that.

I have issues with my hands swelling and find it difficult to hang onto picks at times. I usually use the red Dunlop Jazz III picks but there are days where I can't grip them hard enough to keep them from flying out of my hand after a strum or two.

I tried those Everly Star Picks and where I don't drop them, they spin around in my fingers like a motherfucker and trying to strum with the flat back of a pick is a pain in the rear end when it's unexpected.

Lately what I've been doing is getting old TPU and other thermoplastic cellphone cases and use a Pick Punch to make my own picks. They tend to stay put once they've warmed up a little and you can change the rigidity by changing where you grip it.

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 26, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

shiksa posted:

my buddy plays with those super super thin ones that bend like crazy constantly. i could def see those for rhythm but whenever he does a lead line i just dont understand how he can possibly do that and feel like he has any control whatsoever.

Those superthin pics sound kind of nice for gentle acoustic strummy campfire songs and terrible for everything else.

For everything else, there's Tortex .88mm Green picks. :buddy:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

For everything else, there's Tortex .88mm Green picks. :buddy:
I stuck with those for a long time before I decided I needed more push through the strings. It may have come around the time when I discovered and switched to light top/heavy bottom strings.

DR Tite-Fit JH-10's for life.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Dunlop even sells oddball Jazz shapes and what looks like worn ones on the left side.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Do they sell picks that have been snapped in two?
Or picks covered in real authentic Musician Sweat?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I'm Crap posted:

that track is actually completely dismal garbage, the worst and most inept attempt at copying night slugs/wonky uk bass music i've ever heard

here are some guys bending notes all over the place while still sounding like they know what they're doing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5vtv14wLr0

yeah idont get all this big thing about microtones or whatever, electronic music has been messing with it since forever seeing as its a standard feature in a synth to be able to fine tune to basically whatever pitch you want + analog warbling/emulation of it

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

sout posted:

Do they sell picks that have been snapped in two?
Or picks covered in real authentic Musician Sweat?

You should go on kickstarter, I am sure you could raise $30,000 in a few hours if you just posted a link on TGP and TDPRI.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

White Dog Eggs posted:

No words.

I've heard something similar way back - a guy was telling a message board that his teacher suggested the tone of his instrument would improve the more musical notes resonated through it, and he was asking for suggestions for optimal speaker placement and whether it needed to be the solo instrument or if backing instruments would wreck it.

The consensus from the board was the teacher was hinting at "practice more" in the form of a joke and had vastly underestimated the student's laziness and gullibility.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

stillvisions posted:

I've heard something similar way back - a guy was telling a message board that his teacher suggested the tone of his instrument would improve the more musical notes resonated through it, and he was asking for suggestions for optimal speaker placement and whether it needed to be the solo instrument or if backing instruments would wreck it.

The consensus from the board was the teacher was hinting at "practice more" in the form of a joke and had vastly underestimated the student's laziness and gullibility.

Lol that is precious.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

stillvisions posted:

lollin'

Also speaking of picks, Dunlop fins

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

I bought a pack of these as a lark seeing them next to the till of one of my local haunts.

There only two real difference between these and normal ones. First is the raised lettering, which I appreciate since I don't like how the carbon fiber grip ones feel in my hand. The second is that it sounds a bit darker than a normal Jazz III, I don't know if it's a thing with the material's stiffness or something but they tend to make a less pronounced high-end. That said, it's only noticeable when you a/b test between the two, alone it's just another Jazz III. All-in-all it's not anything special, unless you were a guy who likes to collect picks like me.

Edit: To prove how cool I am by not being a tone-snob, I play with mostly celluloid dunlops. :smug:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

shiksa posted:

sout posted:

Was basically typing this out, it's very difficult for me to imagine you as anything other than your av :shrug:

Afraid not, just a generic bearded goon I'm afraid.

stillvisions posted:

Hah! gently caress, I guess it's a 'thing' then.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
One of my customers just uploaded a clip of my radio interview to a youtube account, then he gave me the password to the account, now I feel bad for not giving him a discount.

I have a feeling I will regret this, but here's my interview. Please excuse my horrible Shropshire accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeZWApwrq14

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

One of my customers just uploaded a clip of my radio interview to a youtube account, then he gave me the password to the account, now I feel bad for not giving him a discount.

I have a feeling I will regret this, but here's my interview. Please excuse my horrible Shropshire accent.

That's a pretty rock and roll name you have

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

sout posted:

That's a pretty rock and roll name you have

I've been asked "Is that your real name or did you change it because of your work" more than once.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Whale guitar owns.
J Mascis owns.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dirt posted:

Whale guitar owns.
J Mascis owns.

He's looking pretty avuncular these days. I can dig it.

Also he made this, so he gets to do whatever he wants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbA66jyyyTU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
for some reason j mascischat reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBTC1VL4xuE

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

comes along bort posted:

for some reason j mascischat reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBTC1VL4xuE

and "what is that guy doing here" videos reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZWrVQTlonc

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

White Dog Eggs posted:

I thought you were Australian for some reason. You got a website or something then? I'm in the market for something delicious!

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

White Dog Eggs posted:

gaw blesh ush awl

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

Ha ha ha my frying pan tenor is radio famous now.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Cool, I live in Shropshire.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

auzdark posted:

I thought you were Australian for some reason. You got a website or something then? I'm in the market for something delicious!

No website to speak of really, I've got the [url="https://"http://www.interestingguitars.co.uk"] domain but nothing uploaded [/url]. I do have a facebook page thing though. . Shoot me a PM if you fancy making something gross together ;)

ZombieParts posted:

gaw blesh ush awl

"Urrrrggahhhhh, yea, oi loikes making guitarss" - Me talking.

BigHustle posted:

Ha ha ha my frying pan tenor is radio famous now.

If I'd have had more notice, I would have brought yours in! Sadly it was wet with varnish so that was a no-go :(

Dysgenesis posted:

Cool, I live in Shropshire.

Hah!! Where abouts?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Man, what are the chances of both of the people from Shropshire who know what a computer is turning up in the same thread?

In other news I now have a Keytar. Half the buttons are missing and it rattles a lot because of all the broken parts left inside, but it all works after a bit of tinkering. I might paint it in psychedelic nail varnish colours, I think a Fool keytar is just on the right (by which I mean wrong) side of tacky. Definitely will be candidate for this thread afterwards, as if being a Keytar wasn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Hair Raiser Amp

quote:

This amp uses a fifties hair drier as the speaker cabinet and stand. The drier houses a Mojo BB10G, 16 ohm ceramic 10, surrounded by balsa. The head is a revoiced Raymer with two EL84’s, two 12AX7’s, and an EZ81 rectifier. Controls are volume and tone. This head has a great clean tone as well as the breakup and howl we’ve come to expect from EL84’s. You can also use it as a hair dryer, though the sound dries your hair quite slowly

• Locked thread