Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Boston had a terrible winter this year and with snow tires the fiesta was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The Recarros I had in the GLI were great as far as comfort goes, but they didn't breathe at all and caused much sweatybuttness. The bolsters in my Golf TDI are really close to but are much less air tight. Considering the way things are going with my job atm, it looks like I'm going to have to forgo the 16 R if the drat thing even ever comes out. Can't risk taking on a 500 dollar a month car payment, plus they extended the warranty on the fuel pump out to 120k/10y so I don't feel too scared keeping the TDI. I really want to tune it but then I guess that voids the drat warranty again. So what sort of performance upgrades are there for the TDI that won't void my stupid ticking time bomb of a fuel pump.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!

GutBomb posted:

Boston had a terrible winter this year and with snow tires the fiesta was great.

Did you get steelies or just use stock wheels and throw on some tires?

Edit: worked with me further on price; likely driving this off the lot on Sunday assuming no tranny whine/turbo shaft play/Fiesta Rattle.

nuclear_cheetos fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 24, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

nuclear_cheetos posted:

If you can run a size or two smaller than stock, steelies with winter tires are generally going to be cheaper. Not to mention easier to take them off/put them on whenever you want.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Edit: worked with me further on price; likely driving this off the lot on Sunday assuming no tranny whine/turbo shaft play/Fiesta Rattle.

I got 15" steelies.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Just pick up some cheap OE focus or fiesta rims (both will fit) . I bought a set of wheels and tires off of a wrecked, low mileage '09 focus. Worked fine.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Any foreseeable issues with removing the clutch return assist spring on my Focus ST? I got the idea from stupid car forums and it came out with finger pressure. I much prefer the new clutch pedal position and response without that stupid spring in there.

I still have it, if it needs to go back in. But I don't want it to.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 25, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

nuclear_cheetos posted:

My only possible concerns with the FiST are how it's going to handle Michigan weather (with snow/winter tires) and the car's longevity as a daily driver.

This Sunday is going to be interesting.

I ran around in a rental Fiesta for a week in the middle of winter here in Canada and it was fine. Really the only issue I encountered was that, with its light weight and short wheelbase, standing snow can really push it around. Sometimes it felt like I was hitting a small curb but it would happily push its way through it eventually. It was such a happy little car with its happy song when I turned it on :3:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Ferret King posted:

Any foreseeable issues with removing the clutch return assist spring on my Focus ST? I got the idea from stupid car forums and it came out with finger pressure. I much prefer the new clutch pedal position and response without that stupid spring in there.

I still have it, if it needs to go back in. But I don't want it to.
Its a popular mod on Mustangs. It doesn't hurt anything.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A small minority of people post about having issues with the clutch pedal falling to the floor and losing pressure after removing it.

That doesn't seem likely unless there's some other issue with the hydraulic fluid or the clutch. So far I really like it, I think I'll keep it this way

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm having second (or third, etc) thoughts on the buying a Mustang GT (delivery in a month) vs getting a much more practical (4 doors! A hatch! $8k less! HALF the power *AND* FWD!) FoST. :/

I'm not waiting for, or paying, for an RS so don't suggest it as a compromise.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

It's human nature to want and rationalize what you don't have.

I suspect the Fost and GT have the same turning radius so there's that.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ilkhan posted:

I'm having second (or third, etc) thoughts on the buying a Mustang GT (delivery in a month) vs getting a much more practical (4 doors! A hatch! $8k less! HALF the power *AND* FWD!) FoST. :/

I'm not waiting for, or paying, for an RS so don't suggest it as a compromise.

Honestly, do you need the space or transport of people?

My car has only 1 person in it 95% of the time, and the other 4.999999% of the time it has only 2 people in it. Any transporting of things would be a few bags for a weekend trip to vegas or some groceries.

So for me the practicality of a FoST vs a Mustang GT is pretty much irrelevant.

$8k isn't nothing, that's a significant cost savings. But if you can spend the money, and you don't need the space, the Mustang GT doesn't seem to disappoint.

If you're regularly transporting more than 1 other person, or regularly needing a lot of storage space, then yeah, the Mustang isn't a good choice. Our second car is a Prius [I know, it's horrible] but if you need to move 4 people, and or move a bunch of stuff, it's perfect for that. So I don't need another car that does the same thing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Not really.
But as this is an only vehicle needing to borrow a fuel hog and annoying to drive 90s F250 from my folks to move anything bigger than weekly groceries is annoying.

Could get a 10 year old tacoma or escape or something as vehicle 2, but that has its own set of issues/costs.

edit: and I'm starting to get into biking for exercise, so being able to carry a bike would be nice.

And I'm asking the hot hatch thread, give me reasons to get the FoST, not reasons NOT to.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 28, 2015

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Not really.
But as this is an only vehicle needing to borrow a fuel hog and annoying to drive 90s F250 from my folks to move anything bigger than weekly groceries is annoying.

Could get a 10 year old tacoma or escape or something as vehicle 2, but that has its own set of issues/costs.

I mean, does that come up often? If I need something big from IKEA I'll either rent a truck or yeah, borrow a truck from family/friends. It just doesn't come up often enough that I want to tie up a bunch of money so that I 'can' do something that I almost never need to do.

I found the Mustang significantly nicer and more comfortable. I personally would not get a FoST. If I needed to value practicality over fun/performance I'd be looking at like a Mazda 3 series with a manual transmission for around $20k.

It's decent to look at, practical and 'fun' to drive. I drove the FoST, and didn't care for the set of compromises they made with that vehicle. At that point you're looking at saving $15k or so. Which really is 'another car' kind of money. I mean, how fast do you really need to go?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yeah but at least in an ST no one is expecting s drag race at every traffic light.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yeah but at least in an ST no one is expecting s drag race at every traffic light.

When I'm tooling around in my white Golf R I get a bunch of peacocking from dudes all the time and I intentionally don't want to be noticed. If someone recognizes an ST over a normal Focus they are just as likely to want to race as someone who recognizes a GT Mustang over a normal one. Maybe it's the tuner car guys vs. muscle car guys that's the difference idk.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KakerMix posted:

When I'm tooling around in my white Golf R I get a bunch of peacocking from dudes all the time and I intentionally don't want to be noticed. If someone recognizes an ST over a normal Focus they are just as likely to want to race as someone who recognizes a GT Mustang over a normal one. Maybe it's the tuner car guys vs. muscle car guys that's the difference idk.

The only people that seem to recognize the Focus ST (or at least indicate that they recognize it) in the first 8 months of my ownership are other people driving an ST. I don't think I've had a single person in any sort of import tuner type car indicate that they want to race me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Have you test driven a focus st yet?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Have you test driven a focus st yet?
Me? Yes. It was like 15 months ago (and if I could have afforded it at the time I'd be driving one as I recall), but yes.

Speaking of: What rpm are you guys turning at 70-72mph?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If your serious about getting a focus st instead of your mustang gt, go look at one and test drive one again. Hopefully, it'll help make your decision.

If I were in your situation, I think I would regret not give a focus st another look.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Purchased FiST, delivery tomorrow and relearning stick from 11pm-1am for the next week or so.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ilkhan posted:

Me? Yes. It was like 15 months ago (and if I could have afforded it at the time I'd be driving one as I recall), but yes.

Speaking of: What rpm are you guys turning at 70-72mph?

2014 Focus ST, 2600 @ 70mph

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I own an S2000 and I always recognize FoSTs for what they are-- pretty neat. I also don't try to race 'em because I don't want to blow up my rear diff.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I own an S2000 and I always recognize FoSTs for what they are-- pretty neat. I also don't try to race 'em because I don't want to blow up my rear diff.

To be fair we can do that by looking at it funny :(

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Not exactly hot (99hp) but I pick up my 2013 Prius C Two tomorrow. I'm starting my masters in the Fall and need a cheap reliable commuter car. The last hatch I've owned was my trusty 94 Civic. My current car is a leaky '98 Mazda 626 that is being traded in. This is what my car will look like but with tinted windows:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Housh posted:

Not exactly hot (99hp) but I pick up my 2013 Prius C Two tomorrow. I'm starting my masters in the Fall and need a cheap reliable commuter car. The last hatch I've owned was my trusty 94 Civic. My current car is a leaky '98 Mazda 626 that is being traded in. This is what my car will look like but with tinted windows:

I'm sorry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Housh posted:

what the hell man

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Housh posted:

Booooooooourns

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Housh posted:

Hand in your AI card, you are no longer allowed here

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

You Am I posted:

Hand in your AI card, you are no longer allowed here

Seriously. At least get the regular Prius instead - it's a much better car. I looked at both, the Prius is kind of a cool exercise in tech circa 2004, the Prius C is a loving awful penalty box that has no redeeming qualities beyond fuel economy and reliability.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Housh posted:

It's OK, I find them inexplicably cute and smile whenever I see them.

In warmer news, FoRS base price suspected $35,730, plus $1990 for forged wheels/PSC2, from the focus fan fora. :getin:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Electric Pigeon posted:

It's OK, I find them inexplicably cute and smile whenever I see them.
You already surrendered your ai card, so now you hand in your man card as well.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

ilkhan posted:

You already surrendered your ai card, so now you hand in your man card as well.

:quivers, head down, at true allegations:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

CountOfNowhere posted:

no redeeming qualities beyond fuel economy and reliability.
Those are the only two qualities I look for in a car. Just need something to last me 2-3 years with no major repairs and then I'll buy whatever I want. I actually find the car to be really cool. Anyways, I'm going to run away from AI now before you guys give me a wedgie.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Housh posted:

Those are the only two qualities I look for in a car. Just need something to last me 2-3 years with no major repairs and then I'll buy whatever I want. I actually find the car to be really cool. Anyways, I'm going to run away from AI now before you guys give me a wedgie.
In that case, wtf are you doing posting in the hot hatch thread?
Enjoy the short probation doing so earned you.

If you'd posted about your new car in the monthly chat thread or the A/T "what car to buy" thread you'd have been fine.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Why not the 1l ecoboost Fiesta, on paper it seems to put out some decent mpg.

If nothing else thank you for reminding me why I just bought the car I did.

Now that I have a second just figured I'd add that I'm pretty new to aftermarket anything and wondered if I'd be better off getting FiST Recaros from ebay or just going through a Ford dealership.

nuclear_cheetos fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 29, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm always reminded of Tony Scott's suicide when I see a Prius posted here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Housh posted:

*flicks cigarette at u*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Das Volk posted:

I'm always reminded of Tony Scott's suicide when I see a Prius posted here.

The regular cars guy was totally right when he described the Prius as a villain for car people