Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is Bluetooth kinda hosed for anyone else using the iOS9 public beta 2? I use Bluetooth headphones at work all day every workday and they always worked fine like 10 feet away up until yesterday when I updated to the new beta. Now it seems like even a foot or 2 away from my phone, audio starts cracking and going in and out, and if I go any further away, it'll barely be listenable at all.

I mean I signed up for poo poo like this by beta testing but it seems weird that it wasn't an issue in beta #1.

I'm having the shame issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LoSesMC posted:

I'm having the shame issue.

Sorry to hear that Sir Sean Connery.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Bluetooth works fine in my car, had Spotify playing with no isshues. 9 beta 2.

BUT, Settings crashes when I try to change my text tone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ok so it not just me. Beta!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lblitzer posted:

Bluetooth works fine in my car, had Spotify playing with no isshues. 9 beta 2.

BUT, Settings crashes when I try to change my text tone.
Yeah, the weird thing is BT plays fine in my car but on these headphones it's wonky. It seems to only give me issues in certain apps. Like I played a video in Safari earlier and the audio was fine over the headphones, but when listening to podcasts/audio in videos in the YouTube app, it constantly gives me issues.

I had to submit a bug report in the last beta about a different issue I was having with these BT headphones, and that seemed like it got fixed soon after I did. Maybe I should try that again for this issue.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Does anyone know how I would go about using an iPhone to temporarily connect a PC to a wifi network instead of using the phone's data plan? My wifi network is broadcasting at 5ghz but my laptop's older network card can only connect to a 2.4 ghz network.

e: I found this app http://intelliborn.com/index.html but it requires a jailbreak (haven't done but am willing to) and it doesn't seem compatible with an iphone 6 or ios 8.1.1,

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 24, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think this question came up a few weeks ago and we came to the conclusion that it wasn't possible.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
I'm finding this a little hard to research because no matter how I try to phrase it I'm getting a ton of irrelevant hits, but I think you might be right. That's too bad, I imagine that it is technically possible and it seems like it would be a niche but useful feature.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You *might* be able to do it if you jailbroke your iPhone, connected the iPhone to the company Wifi, connected the laptop to the iPhone using a USB ethernet adaptor, then SSHed into the iPhone as a SOCKS proxy. In theory this would work. But that's pretty insane.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sinding Johansson posted:

Does anyone know how I would go about using an iPhone to temporarily connect a PC to a wifi network instead of using the phone's data plan? My wifi network is broadcasting at 5ghz but my laptop's older network card can only connect to a 2.4 ghz network.

e: I found this app http://intelliborn.com/index.html but it requires a jailbreak (haven't done but am willing to) and it doesn't seem compatible with an iphone 6 or ios 8.1.1,

Your router doesn't do 2.4 at all? Have you dug into the settings to see if its possible?

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Jose Oquendo posted:

Your router doesn't do 2.4 at all? Have you dug into the settings to see if its possible?

It most definitely does but I don't think it's been properly configured, anyway I don't have access to the router and after this weekend I won't have to rely on this connection again. Otherwise, I would probably just buy a new network adapter for my PC.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Impact is negligible.

Modern Bluetooth runs for like 11 months on a watch battery.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I think this question came up a few weeks ago and we came to the conclusion that it wasn't possible.

This was the conclusion. I remember because the guy only had access to his network through some phone certificate and couldn't connect with his laptop, so he wanted the phone to bridge the gap but there was no hope. :ohdear:

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
I tried searching through this thread and couldn't find an answer but is there anyway to block ads on the youtube app without jailbreaking your iphone?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I tried searching through this thread and couldn't find an answer but is there anyway to block ads on the youtube app without jailbreaking your iphone?
Weblock might be able to do it if it (or you) knows the right server to block.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

japtor posted:

Weblock might be able to do it if it (or you) knows the right server to block.

It looks like it costs $2, has it worked for ya?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So is it just me or are audiobooks just broken as gently caress now? Now that they're in iBooks instead of Music, I keep getting booted back to the first file rather than the app properly remembering my place, and every so often the little time progress bar just....doesn't advance during playback.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Victorian Gentleman posted:

It looks like it costs $2, has it worked for ya?
I'd have mentioned it but I don't use the YouTube app so :iiam:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Using itunes to mange my music on my iphone isn't really working for me with songs not being transferred when I do it in large batches or songs not being deleted when I delete them through the itunes interface (works through the music app).

Can anyone recommend me an alternative program to manage my music library on my iphone?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

In the stock Podcasts app is there any way to set everything in a podcast to not played? Some of my podcasts have a hojillion episodes backlogged and I want to have them in the unread list so I know where I'm at without setting them all to unplayed manually.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Alaan posted:

In the stock Podcasts app is there any way to set everything in a podcast to not played? Some of my podcasts have a hojillion episodes backlogged and I want to have them in the unread list so I know where I'm at without setting them all to unplayed manually.

If you mark them unplayed in itunes on your computer the app will follow suit but I'm not sure if there's a way to do it directly in the app.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
In the settings for each specific podcast you can enable the limit episodes feature which I think does what you want to do

Alaan
May 24, 2005

well, setting everything as unread in iTunes then syncing made three more episodes show up as unread :psyduck:

Edit: hurf durf I forgot I made a few as not heard manually earlier.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alaan posted:

Swiping left on an episode and hitting More should bring up a menu where you'll find a "Mark as Played"/"Mark as Unplayed" option.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a great new kick in the teeth from Apple; I synced by phone to move some new audiobooks onto it from my PC, and iTunes just decided, with no input from me, to erase all the playlists off my phone. All my music is still there, but my organization just got nuked.

Is there any way to restore that, or am I just SOL?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

jivjov posted:

Here's a great new kick in the teeth from Apple; I synced by phone to move some new audiobooks onto it from my PC, and iTunes just decided, with no input from me, to erase all the playlists off my phone. All my music is still there, but my organization just got nuked.

Is there any way to restore that, or am I just SOL?

What does iTunes think you have synced? Sounds your sync settings have no playlists.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrBond posted:

What does iTunes think you have synced? Sounds your sync settings have no playlists.

Well, the last time I synced my phone I added those playlists, and had made no changes to them between then and now.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Do the playlists still exist on your computer? If so, just sync them again. If not, that's why they disappeared from your phone.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is it a common problem (I'm on a 5S if that makes a difference) for battery percentages to just be wrong? My phone consistently shuts off at 15-20%. I have done the whole discharge and charge up to 100 thing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dugong posted:

Is it a common problem (I'm on a 5S if that makes a difference) for battery percentages to just be wrong? My phone consistently shuts off at 15-20%. I have done the whole discharge and charge up to 100 thing.
It's not common, but it is a thing. Letting it completely drain and then charging it completely should recalibrate it a bit, but it seems that hasn't worked for you.

Honestly 15-20% is a pretty big difference. If possible I might take it into an Apple store and see what they say. Might even be worth it to pay for a battery replacement if it's an issue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Do the playlists still exist on your computer? If so, just sync them again. If not, that's why they disappeared from your phone.

I still have the playlists in my itunes...but I can't see any way to select them like I used to. In iTunes, under my phone tab, clicking music just tells me "iTunes match is on jivjov's iPhone can access music in iCloud. Songs can be downloaded and played via Wi-Fi or a cellular network"

Here's the thing though...I don' t have iTunes match. My phone says its turned off.

So my Playlists are visible to be played in iTunes...but I can't actually put them on my phone (and I never told iTunes to remove them in the first place).

EDIT: Okay, wait...so there's completely different Settings listings from the "On My Device" listings. Why is iTunes such a complete piece of trash garbage?

EDIT 2: The On My Device list is just a list of songs. Where the hell did they move the screen where it shows me a list of all my playlists and I can just check the boxes of the ones I want on my phone?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 26, 2015

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's not common, but it is a thing. Letting it completely drain and then charging it completely should recalibrate it a bit, but it seems that hasn't worked for you.

Honestly 15-20% is a pretty big difference. If possible I might take it into an Apple store and see what they say. Might even be worth it to pay for a battery replacement if it's an issue.

I have a feeling I'll just get brushed off by having the IOS 9 beta on it even though this has been a problem for a while now. I probably won't pay for a battery since I plan I to get a 6s in January.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
How do I turn off Itunes match if I've never paid for it and never actually turned it on? My Phone says its off, the iTunes drop down menu says its off, but when I plug my phone in and try to select playlists to sync, all it will tell me is "ITunes match is on".

EDIT: Okay, so the solution is to just not be signed in to my iCloud account on my computer at all. If I'm signed in, it tells my I have a nonexistent iTunes Match turned on. So iTunes is STILL a completely broken piece of software.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 26, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I still have the playlists in my itunes...but I can't see any way to select them like I used to. In iTunes, under my phone tab, clicking music just tells me "iTunes match is on jivjov's iPhone can access music in iCloud. Songs can be downloaded and played via Wi-Fi or a cellular network"

Here's the thing though...I don' t have iTunes match. My phone says its turned off.

So my Playlists are visible to be played in iTunes...but I can't actually put them on my phone (and I never told iTunes to remove them in the first place).

EDIT: Okay, wait...so there's completely different Settings listings from the "On My Device" listings. Why is iTunes such a complete piece of trash garbage?

EDIT 2: The On My Device list is just a list of songs. Where the hell did they move the screen where it shows me a list of all my playlists and I can just check the boxes of the ones I want on my phone?

That sounds like a lovely bug. iCloud music library (which is where Match puts your music?) makes all your playlists visible on your phone and you just select the option to make available offline and it works pretty well.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 27, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

tuyop posted:

That sounds like a lovely bug. iCloud music library makes all your playlists visible on your phone and you just select the option to make available offline and it works pretty well.

Is "iCloud Music Library" the same thing as "iTunes Match"? Because I think I have that former thing turned on in my phone options.

I just can't figure out why it kept insisting that Match was on when I have literally never had Match.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Is "iCloud Music Library" the same thing as "iTunes Match"? Because I think I have that former thing turned on in my phone options.

I just can't figure out why it kept insisting that Match was on when I have literally never had Match.

iCloud music library is where Match stores the things it matches. AFAIK it does nothing without Match. Try toggling that off.

It's a dumb, obtuse distinction that seems like a bizarre thing to include.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

tuyop posted:

iCloud music library is where Match stores the things it matches. AFAIK it does nothing without Match. Try toggling that off.

It's a dumb, obtuse distinction that seems like a bizarre thing to include.

Huh...yep, that fixed it; now I can stay signed in to my apple account and still sync my phone properly.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dugong posted:

I have a feeling I'll just get brushed off by having the IOS 9 beta on it even though this has been a problem for a while now. I probably won't pay for a battery since I plan I to get a 6s in January.

It's a common symptom of a dying battery that it will simply shut off when at a lowish percentage the moment you try to do something that will draw significant power; camera use, a game, etc. This is exactly what was commonly reported on the faulty batch of iPhone 5 batteries, but also happens on others when they're old/worn.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

Dugong posted:

My 5S has been doing this a lot over the last month or two, but it's commonly in the 20-30% range. Last night it powered down at 36%. As soon as I plug it in it comes back on at the same percentage.

I also had no success with the recalibration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
My old 5 started doing that almost exactly at the 2-year mark. You can either buy a new battery or buy a new phone. I went with the latter.