Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, you can hide things your Steam library.

You CAN have things removed from your account completely if you feel strongly enough, but you'll have to go through at least one "You're ABSOLUTELY sure about this, right?" reply from Steam Support.

Also, Rise of the Triad 2013 is three bucks today as the Steam daily deal, and the OST will be released any minute now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My trash category consists of Brink and Spec Ops: The Line.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Alain Post posted:

Spec Ops: The Line.

:confused:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't think steam thought my all caps "NUKE IT FROM ORBIT" request on AVP 2010 was serious.

But it was.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I've been playing unreal gold, and the enemies and weapons are interesting, but Jesus Christ this game has a really bad case of 'lovely Water level' syndrome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Yeah, you can hide things your Steam library.

You CAN have things removed from your account completely if you feel strongly enough, but you'll have to go through at least one "You're ABSOLUTELY sure about this, right?" reply from Steam Support.

Also, Rise of the Triad 2013 is three bucks today as the Steam daily deal, and the OST will be released any minute now.

gently caress, I just spent my last Card-raised money on New Vegas for a friend.

Oh well, money well-spent.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Chaser was kind of hilarious if only because every single fucker in that game backstabs you. Every single one. I can't remember any legit dudes. Also yeah I played it years ago and had some decent memories but replaying it made me remember all the flaws because it's just full of terrible corridor levels and bland rooms with unfulfilling combat. The few positive things I could say is that the levels go around a fair amount of locations and the Mars levels were alright for their Total Recall style.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

DoombatINC posted:

I love Chaser but, understandably, not everyone shares my feelings for it. It's a living museum of FPS cliches from the late 90s and early 00s, the shooting is solid and some of the set piece levels are genuinely inspired. That said, the game is unnecessarily long, it's riddled with glitches and there's several levels you'll want to outright skip.

Your enjoyment of Chaser will hinge on your tolerance (or nostalgia) for millennial FPS mechanics and your willingness to use the command console.

I bought and played Chaser in the days of yore when one went to a store, bought a game, and brought it home to install multiple CD-ROMs and play, eventually. I knew nothing of these 'reviews' that supposed told you if a game was good or bad.

Chaser made me regret every second spent going to and from the store, as well as every cent I spent on it.
Chaser is a genuinely, truly, actually, awful game made by a bunch of people who didn't give a gently caress about ANYTHING, least of all producing something someone would want to play. I'm surprised it even still runs, as when I bought it, I had to patch the INSTALLER BEFORE IT WOULD INSTALL.

I really should have quite while I was still a decent way behind.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've never heard of Chaser, and am quite content to keep it that way from the sounds of things.

I bought Gunman Chronicles. I'm probably going to find some point to actually play it soon-ish. Depends on how interesting SGDQ is at any given moment, I guess.

Also used funds from excess Steam Trading Cards on Eradicator, because $1, eh, why not?

Oh, and periodically trying out Terminus's Nocturne in Yellow work-in-progress thing. It's not too bad for the early state it's in. Damned hard, though. Should note, if anyone else wants to try it, you can't yet pick up the various keys; I expect most here know how the "Give" console command works, regardless, but it's something to note.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

khwarezm posted:

So I've been playing unreal gold, and the enemies and weapons are interesting, but Jesus Christ this game has a really bad case of 'lovely Water level' syndrome.
Are you talking about Chizra Nali Water God? Because you better not be talking about Chizra Nali Water God :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh hey, NAM on Steam is $0.97 right now. I haven't heard a single good thing about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

Are you talking about Chizra Nali Water God? Because you better not be talking about Chizra Nali Water God :colbert:

Chizra is not a good level. The good levels run from Dark Arena through NaliCastle (I don't like the mothership either).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Chizra sucks when you first play though it, but it becomes one of your favorites in a replay.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can't say as I was a huge fan of Terraniux or ISV-Kran Deck 2/3, either. Got lost way too easily in those maps, struggling to find the nook I had to duck into to actually make any progress.

Sunspire was also annoying, dark and maze-like, although I still kinda like it somehow.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Chaser had amazing glass breaking effects for the time. Unfortunately shooting up windows was the most fun part of the game, followed by looking for ways to fall out of the map.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

catlord posted:

Oh hey, NAM on Steam is $0.97 right now. I haven't heard a single good thing about it.

Well, the music's good!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Commander Keenan posted:

Well, the music's good!

Well, it's good to hear that, much like the real Vietnam War, in the end you come out with good music and PTSD.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

david_a posted:

You're drat right I'm talking about Chizra Nali Water God, hey game designers everywhere if you're going to put large swimming sections in a game then for fucks sake don't making your swimming movement speed like half as fast as your regular movement speed, especially in a fast paced shooter, I don't care about 'realism' in my interplanetary shoot aliens game where I can fire an energy rifle then shoot its projectile with another shot to cause a huge explosion. To this day it feels like the only games that ever realized that were the PS1 Spyro games (there they also had no possibility of drowning, which another thing designers should take on).

Apart from that there's also these annoying mosquito enemies that are really tiny and hard to shoot and there's lots of 'em, and the layout involves lots of dull, samey looking rooms without a clear path forward that constantly remind me I'm in a game from the late nineties.

Come on Unreal, you had me hooked in pretty well with the Scaarj, which are some of the most interesting things I've fought in an FPS, you better pick up the pace in the Dark Arena.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
What do you all think of Lovely Planet? It's on sale and I kind of want it. I like first person platforming.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

BoredMarc posted:

What do you all think of Lovely Planet? It's on sale and I kind of want it. I like first person platforming.

It's cool. Makes you happy and uppity. Liked it quite a bit.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

BoredMarc posted:

Lovely Planet is a lot of fun

I also thought Rise of the Triad 2013 was fun too. :shobon:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Just FYI, Steam support will remove a game from your library on request.

I know, but the list is so long that they won't do a thing about it, at the other hand, the 800+ games badge isn't that bad to have.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

BoredMarc posted:

Then you'll love Lovely Planet. It's a challenging FPS where you need to shoot targets and monsters and get to the end of the level in quickest time possible. Very fun and has a fair difficulty curve, I also really like the very "non-FPS" visuals and soundtrack. It's a good game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't think steam thought my all caps "NUKE IT FROM ORBIT" request on AVP 2010 was serious.

But it was.

Huh, personally I rather liked AVP 2010, or rather I liked the Alien and Predator campaigns, Human campaign was kinda meh and I never got around to actually beating it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

closeted republican posted:

Chizra sucks when you first play though it, but it becomes one of your favorites in a replay.
See? See?! This guy gets it!

Trivial issues like "fun" or "gameplay" (:jerkbag:) aside, that level gets a free pass from me forever because when I played it back in '98 on my Voodoo2 I thought it was the most beautiful level ever created (I plead the 5th on my thoughts of replaying it for the first time in 13 years a few months ago). The mysterious jungle temple theme is still the coolest one in the game and always reminds me of Indiana Jones & Tintin. The only other theme I liked nearly as much was the floating islands. Either one is much better than slogging through the half-dozen gargantuan spaceships in the game.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Chizra does pretty much have the best music in the game, gonna agree with that.

I recall kinda liking the level as well, but it's been a while.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shadow Hog posted:

Chizra does pretty much have the best music in the game, gonna agree with that.

I recall kinda liking the level as well, but it's been a while.
I meant theme as in the textures/architecture but the music is pretty cool too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lovely Planet is super good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
tron 2.0 has never gone for an acceptable sale price on steam goddamnit

lets hang out posted:

lovely planet is loving great

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I didn't even know it was on Steam, but so it is. Huh.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Shadow Hog posted:

I didn't even know it was on Steam, but so it is. Huh.

it was added fairly recently. Disney for some reason decided to dump a shitload of games on steam, including stuff like split/second and i want to say epic mickey but im not too sure on that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Did Chasm The Rift ever get noticed for its dismemberment system back in the day? I've been playing it a bit and not only is it visual pretty awesome when an enemy pops after a shotgun blast, but it has gameplay implications as well. For example you can aim your shot to take off a soldiers weapon arm, essentially removing them as a threat while you shoot at other guys. I mean, I know tech moved faster back then but coming out only a year after Quake I feel it did some interesting stuff there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ArfJason posted:

it was added fairly recently. Disney for some reason decided to dump a shitload of games on steam, including stuff like split/second and i want to say epic mickey but im not too sure on that.

Man that makes me wish I had a computer good enough to run Split/Second that game is one of my most favorite Racing games of all time(at least of the sort where you drive somewhat realistic cars and not other weirder vehicles)

Actually come to think about it, Split/Second's main gimmick would actually work pretty well in a FPS context as well

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Split/Second is cool but being locked to 30FPS on PC is really annoying.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SparkTR posted:

Did Chasm The Rift ever get noticed for its dismemberment system back in the day? I've been playing it a bit and not only is it visual pretty awesome when an enemy pops after a shotgun blast, but it has gameplay implications as well. For example you can aim your shot to take off a soldiers weapon arm, essentially removing them as a threat while you shoot at other guys. I mean, I know tech moved faster back then but coming out only a year after Quake I feel it did some interesting stuff there.
Was it actually that fancy? I remember it being fairly crude, as in a character losing their arm just replaced the character model with an armless version. I thought only a handful of enemies supported it. I definitely don't remember it being dynamic like in Soldier of Fortune.

But no, I'm pretty sure nobody took notice of Chasm for any reason.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If I remember correctly, pretty much every enemy supported the dismemberment system except for (possibly) a few dog-like enemies and/or the late-game "alien" opponents. I can't remember if you could take legs off, but you could definitely blast off both arms and (fatally) their head.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

arcsig posted:

Split/Second is cool but being locked to 30FPS on PC is really annoying.

I'm guessing that's for performance/stability reasons, I could easily see that game choking a lot of older computers if it was at 60FPS, although it could just be Disney being lazy

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

drrockso20 posted:

I'm guessing that's for performance/stability reasons, I could easily see that game choking a lot of older computers if it was at 60FPS, although it could just be Disney being lazy

Fps lock is literally always because someone couldn't be bothered to make sure their physics / gameplay code worked independent of framerate.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

lets hang out posted:

Seconding this. Except for those loving apples. Those things are ripped straight from I Wanna Be The Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Lovely Planet is a game that made me not want to play it because I hit the limit of my reaction time, spatial awareness, and gently caress APPLES

On the other hand yes Gunman Chronicles is one of the best FPS I ever played, if only for how brazenly inventive the weapon systems were. I loved how if you had played Half Life before, if you saved a scientist he'd thank you for helping him unleash his little assholes on you. What a perfect way to tell you just how different things were gonna be. Also the intro section where you nearly get sucked out into space was cool too.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 28, 2015