Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
What's the deal with finding Hunt marks on Excalibur? Is there a linkshell I can join?

I'm not currently in the goon guild but I'm gonna do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I just spent two hours trying to get two HQ crafts.

:shepicide:

Your gear sounds out of date for your level.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

NicelyNice posted:

Any goons on the JP servers? I live in Japan so I've been playing on a JP datacenter for latency issues. Japanese players are nice, just not so chatty and I don't really wanna speak Japanese in the game anyways. I hear Tonberry is the official AU/Oceanic server? Or should I try Excal and deal with the lag?

Yeah, Tonberry is pretty much the english speaking server. It's hard to get into, but it's worth it because the lag is pretty minimal for AU players, and there are a heap of english speaking FC's to help with content.

Konig posted:

The maintenance happens from 4PM to 8PM local time if my calculations are right, so I'll just keep trying 1) until 2) becomes a possibility, thanks.

This is your best bet, also create your character in advance and save the appearance data, which will speed things up when the server comes back up. If all else fails, 3) will work as that's how I got onto the server.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

sound_again posted:

What's the deal with finding Hunt marks on Excalibur? Is there a linkshell I can join?

I'm not currently in the goon guild but I'm gonna do that too.

Install Guildwork and/or join the hunt teamspeak at ts.ffxiv.in

If you're on PS4 or something, there's also this: http://ffxivhunt.com/excalibur

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

My "something wrong" was being low level and having the bad luck of "Basic Touch" failing over and over again.

Stop using Basic Touch. Get CUL to 15 ASAP and use Hasty Touch. It will still fail, but it won't cost you any CP.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does Leatherworker have something to make it easier to build up the HQ bar?

Because unlike the other crafting classes, who get materials from Gather classes, Leatherworker seems to get their main materials from monster drops.

So that would, by nature, make leatherworker materials both rarer and the HQ materials even rarer then that.

Or is this just a "bite the bullet" thing.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

Install Guildwork and/or join the hunt teamspeak at ts.ffxiv.in

If you're on PS4 or something, there's also this: http://ffxivhunt.com/excalibur

Thanks; I'm in the TS lobby now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dr Pepper posted:

Because unlike the other crafting classes, who get materials from Gather classes, Leatherworker seems to get their main materials from monster drops.

So that would, by nature, make leatherworker materials both rarer and the HQ materials even rarer then that.

Quality of the base material very rarely matters because you can HQ the actual usable material after it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't worry about trying to craft HQ secondary materials, like leather. They have less durability so it's a lot harder, and it just ends up being a waste of time. It's a lot easier to turn NQ leather into HQ final products.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
:negative: We just had a pair of folks duck out on our static for work-related reasons, so we're looking for some full-time DPS players (and a WAR/DRK) who have aspirations of Savage Alex. Runtimes are Tue,Thur,Fri 9-11PM EST Inquire within!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Had an EXDR group with a Ninja who didn't use poison until I pestered him, and then proceeded to only use the huton extending combo the entire dungeon, using dancing edge maybe once during a boss fight, and only one dot SOMETIMES.

He did all the gimmicks correctly though which makes me wonder how you can be somewhat competent yet not use over half your classes' buttons. Never used ninjitsu past huton either.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Had an EXDR group with a Ninja who didn't use poison until I pestered him, and then proceeded to only use the huton extending combo the entire dungeon, using dancing edge maybe once during a boss fight, and only one dot SOMETIMES.

He did all the gimmicks correctly though which makes me wonder how you can be somewhat competent yet not use over half your classes' buttons. Never used ninjitsu past huton either.

As a main Bard but aspiring Ninja (lvl 58) that is horrifying. Even without being 60 I know the insane DPS Ninja can put out with their toolbox. I have no idea how someone gets that far ignoring them, unless they were just drat lazy. But laziness doesn't make sense because no poison absolutely cripples Ninja DPS, the difference in kill times even when I'm doing old Beast Tribe quests is incredibly noticeable. Agh it just doesn't make sense.

But in happier news, I'm only 5 days away from maxing out Sahagin and Amaljaa, the last two beast tribes. While I'm mainly doing this for the mounts, I recently found out that completing them all unlocks 5 more Minions and a special quest line + title which makes it all even more worth it. It's <The Negotiator> apparently which kind of sucks because re-naming myself Roger Smith would not fit the Lalafell rules.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

i did it

i made an outfit that goes with the q-tip

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kitfox88 posted:

i did it

i made an outfit that goes with the q-tip

Sweet Dustforce cosplay

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Crisis, dont know if I should stay with Aura or go back to cat girl. on one hand

but on the other hand

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sweet Dustforce cosplay

if i could use a broom it'd be there in a heartbeat you don't even know it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

As a main Bard but aspiring Ninja (lvl 58) that is horrifying. Even without being 60 I know the insane DPS Ninja can put out with their toolbox. I have no idea how someone gets that far ignoring them, unless they were just drat lazy. But laziness doesn't make sense because no poison absolutely cripples Ninja DPS, the difference in kill times even when I'm doing old Beast Tribe quests is incredibly noticeable. Agh it just doesn't make sense.

But in happier news, I'm only 5 days away from maxing out Sahagin and Amaljaa, the last two beast tribes. While I'm mainly doing this for the mounts, I recently found out that completing them all unlocks 5 more Minions and a special quest line + title which makes it all even more worth it. It's <The Negotiator> apparently which kind of sucks because re-naming myself Roger Smith would not fit the Lalafell rules.

Yeah I don't really get it. Even if you don't know your classes rotation or whatever flat out not using abilities is just foreign to me.

Had to do 4 dungeons today to cap cuz I was lazy during the week and had winners all around. One group had that ninja, another had a BLM who did not use a single HW ability the entire dungeon and used a really bad version of the 2.0 rotation instead. And then one with 2 bards who used songs 100% of the time. It took me over 2 hours to get those dungeons done and I want to die.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The amount of NINs who will single target doton is >1 and that's way too many.

As a NIN main, and not a good one, I still don't understand how people can be so bad at a class that's so easy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I don't really get it. Even if you don't know your classes rotation or whatever flat out not using abilities is just foreign to me.

Had to do 4 dungeons today to cap cuz I was lazy during the week and had winners all around. One group had that ninja, another had a BLM who did not use a single HW ability the entire dungeon and used a really bad version of the 2.0 rotation instead. And then one with 2 bards who used songs 100% of the time. It took me over 2 hours to get those dungeons done and I want to die.

I had a group with a WAR that somehow had a full set of left side law gear but was new to Neverreap. Messed up mechanics on all the bosses even after having them explained. We wiped 3 times on Waukkeon because they kept getting knocked off.

Cabinet posted:

The amount of NINs who will single target doton is >1 and that's way too many.

As a NIN main, and not a good one, I still don't understand how people can be so bad at a class that's so easy.

I know right? It drives me crazy. Figuring out which ninjutsu to use is like the easiest thing in the world, just look at the goddamn potency numbers. Maybe they think dots tick every second???

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I regularly see DPS in dungeons and Alex normal that do less dps then me. A Paladin. In my Tank stance.

Honestly, I think a these people just straight up aren't pushing buttons a lot of the time.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Begemot posted:

I know right? It drives me crazy. Figuring out which ninjutsu to use is like the easiest thing in the world, just look at the goddamn potency numbers. Maybe they think dots tick every second???

I can only assume that people see that it requires three mudras and think that it must do more damage no matter the target because of the inputs.

Speaking of NIN, I'm only leveling it to 60 now. I took WAR as my first 60 because I did not want to deal with massive queues when juggling the expac and my new job. I'm surprised at how well I drilled the ninjutsus into my head. I have a question though - Does armour crush blend into the rotation well?

goldjas posted:

I regularly see DPS in dungeons and Alex normal that do less dps then me. A Paladin. In my Tank stance.

Honestly, I think a these people just straight up aren't pushing buttons a lot of the time.

I've been doing more DPS as a tank than a lot of DPS I've noticed. Like, these people are pulling embarrassing numbers even if it was 2.X. I don't have much room to complain because I am not good at this game but fuckin' hell how did these people get this far.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

goldjas posted:

There's a large contingent of players who are not only not trying their best, but who are offended by the idea that they should be giving 100% at all times. When they can be carried, they're usually a laughable footnote, but in Alex and Seal Rock, it's frustrating to see how little some people care.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
So I think I'm missing something. When I kill stuff in my hunter's log, am I supposed to turn them in somewhere for credit? If so, where?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cabinet posted:

I can only assume that people see that it requires three mudras and think that it must do more damage no matter the target because of the inputs.

Speaking of NIN, I'm only leveling it to 60 now. I took WAR as my first 60 because I did not want to deal with massive queues when juggling the expac and my new job. I'm surprised at how well I drilled the ninjutsus into my head. I have a question though - Does armour crush blend into the rotation well?

Yeah, pretty well. You can't do AE as much but the fact that you don't ever have to recast huton more than makes up for it. You should be hitting it every 30 seconds but there's plenty of wiggle room.

Also keep in mind that since AE is positional now, dancing edge actually does more damage if you can't get to the back in time or because it's in an AOE or something.

sethimothy posted:

So I think I'm missing something. When I kill stuff in my hunter's log, am I supposed to turn them in somewhere for credit? If so, where?

No, you don't. You get the reward automatically when you kill the appropriate enemies.

e: mixed up my jutsus I am the worst ninja.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 28, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The game does not make it at all clear what the total potency of dots is. There's basically no way to know that doton is worse than raiton without getting more involved with the game than a lot of players care to.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Begemot posted:

Yeah, pretty well. You can't do AE as much but the fact that you don't ever have to recast raiton more than makes up for it. You should be hitting it every 30 seconds but there's plenty of wiggle room.

Also keep in mind that since AE is positional now, dancing edge actually does more damage if you can't get to the back in time or because it's in an AOE or something.

Thanks! I literally spent the first 5-10 minutes of my LLDR today without doing positionals. Flat out forgot about them. Of course I mostly plonk myself at the rear of the mob anyway so it didn't matter too much.

cheetah7071 posted:

The game does not make it at all clear what the total potency of dots is. There's basically no way to know that doton is worse than raiton without getting more involved with the game than a lot of players care to.

While this is true, I still find it difficult to imagine that it would seem as if it does more damage to an untrained eye. Doton hits and ticks, while Raiton has a big number that flashes.

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 28, 2015

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Had two healers bail on my first run through Great Gubal Library today. The second one was on the final boss, where he claimed we simply didn't have enough DPS to finish him. Apparently he was convinced we should never even be getting to the third summon (where you need 3 people to stand on each spot to prevent them). Once we got comfortable with planning that part of the fight it was incredibly easy...

I'm certainly not saying that people talking about DPS numbers are wrong, but it's really funny to me when people start spouting off about numbers but actually have no idea what the problem is.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
"This item regularly sells at 150k. I guess I should list mine for 120k!"

Massive undercutters will never not infuriate me. It's not the process of undercutting that bothers me because if they undercut me by TOO much, I'll just buy them out and relist them. It's more that when you list something for 200k, someone lists theirs for 100k and then 10 other people see that and set theirs for 100k and then boom, you have a new baseline price because people are loving idiots.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Massive undercutters will never not infuriate me. It's not the process of undercutting that bothers me because if they undercut me by TOO much, I'll just buy them out and relist them. It's more that when you list something for 200k, someone lists theirs for 100k and then 10 other people see that and set theirs for 100k and then boom, you have a new baseline price because people are loving idiots.

And it's below what it costs in mats to craft as well right :shepicide:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Can someone give me some advice on not loving hating Black Mage at 60? Trying to keep Fire and Enochian up while dealing with anything that expects movement or cancels casts is just getting me pissed and headachy.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Mordiceius posted:

all goods are inelastic everywhere forever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kafziel posted:

Can someone give me some advice on not loving hating Black Mage at 60? Trying to keep Fire and Enochian up while dealing with anything that expects movement or cancels casts is just getting me pissed and headachy.

Don't do Neverreap.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't do Neverreap.

Friends don't let friends Neverreap.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't do Neverreap.

I'm imagining the last boss of Neverreap as a BLM and just kinda chuckling

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

kafziel posted:

What got me in a real lovely mood about it today was unsynced Ifrit, but it's as much a problem in Alexander 1 and 4 and gently caress we're going into Ravana EX tomorrow night.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

kafziel posted:

Really, it's just practice. Keep playing the class and getting a feel for how long your casts take and keep an eye on your fire/enochian counters and know at which point you need to sacrifice a cast of fire 4 to toss out a fire or a blizzard 3+4 to keep things up.

The class may also just not be for you anymore. Keeping enochian up can be really stressful in high movement fights, and when I first got Scholar to 60 and healed an expert dungeon I was like "holy poo poo this is so relaxing"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Holyshoot posted:

And it's below what it costs in mats to craft as well right :shepicide:

Players crash markets, bots stabilize. It is the MMO ying and yang.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

If you wanna be baller you have to buy out everything under your acceptable profit margin. Rational market theory doesn't seem to work generally speaking why would it in FFXIV fantasy world?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The class may also just not be for you anymore. Keeping enochian up can be really stressful in high movement fights

As a now ex-BLM and omnicrafter since 2.0, Heavensward has been a bit underwhelming to say the least. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Niton posted:

There's a large contingent of players who are not only not trying their best, but who are offended by the idea that they should be giving 100% at all times. When they can be carried, they're usually a laughable footnote, but in Alex and Seal Rock, it's frustrating to see how little some people care.

That and at this point half the playerbase of an MMO is too stoned to know where they are and the other half has hella lag because they're trying to make livestream/YouTube bux like PewDiePie

• Locked thread