Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:smith: Thanks guys, now I can't even silently buy them because I'll be thinking, "oh, a fresh bag of greasy Irish potato buds for my face". Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Other divorced parent with 4 kids midwestern culinary classics that I think may have been mentioned include Johnny Marzetti (never with this much cheese, but YES with Kraft cheese food singles):

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast TV loving DINNERS (like it wasn't nasty enough already?):

and the classic "Mommy Surprise" which we only learned in high school the Marines used to call "poo poo on a Shingle":

I eat out a lot, now. Sometimes people comment on it. I tell them to gently caress off

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Potato Polyps

Get that one out of your head.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Efexeye posted:

Other divorced parent with 4 kids midwestern culinary classics that I think may have been mentioned include Johnny Marzetti (never with this much cheese, but YES with Kraft cheese food singles):

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast TV loving DINNERS (like it wasn't nasty enough already?):

and the classic "Mommy Surprise" which we only learned in high school the Marines used to call "poo poo on a Shingle":

I eat out a lot, now. Sometimes people comment on it. I tell them to gently caress off

I can't choose my favourite, these are all majestic.

VendaGoat posted:

Potato Polyps

:psyduck: I cannot

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Efexeye posted:

I don't think those are kraft singles; they're too thick. More likely it's entire brick of velveeta sliced up- the one in the top middle looks like what the ends look like after you cut open the foil pouch. :gonk:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

I don't think those are kraft singles; they're too thick. More likely it's entire brick of velveeta sliced up- the one in the top middle looks like what the ends look like after you cut open the foil pouch. :gonk:

I actually think it is government cheese, which I'm proud to say I'm also familiar with

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

wtf is government cheese

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Well, cash crab, government cheese is processed cheese that was provided to welfare, Food Stamp recipients and the elderly receiving Social Security in the United States, and is still provided to food charities. The processed cheese was used in military kitchens since World War II and in schools since as early as the 1960s.

edit

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

America gets weirder the more I learn about it

HAHAHA it's so glossy

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

there's nothing like a government cheese grilled cheese and some powdered 2% milk :D

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Efexeye posted:

My mom is not from the Midwest, and was generally a really great, healthy cook. Except for this revolting dinner she made sometimes that was ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, onions, and canned corn. She called it Hamburger and Corn, and everyone hated it but her. This picture brought back terrible, terrible memories. I think my brother actually cried once when he was told that was what we were having for dinner.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Government cheese also varies greatly on your location. The food bank I go to sometimes usually just has normal good cheese that just isn't as visually appealing as normal cheese so it can't be sold in stores in cute little blocks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Velveeta and those individually wrapped Laughing Cow cheese wedges from France are the same thing.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

potato pillows

edit: what if you got some tater tots but when you bit into them it was actually marshmallows

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I am still trying to wrap my head around government cheese. Maybe I am misremembering things but here if you couldn't afford cheese you just didn't eat cheese. Also, I remember having a conversation with a roommate a while back that went something like:

me: Hey, I go this cheese for $5!
columbian roommate: AMAZING TELL ME MORE
american roommate: that goes for $2 in arizona
me: gently caress YOU

Americans are the equivalent of people who instead of going to bed hungry, will eat bread with mayo on it. This is not a criticism, just an observation.

FlyinPingu posted:

potato pillows

this is cute and makes me want to eat them more

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Poor people used to be given food subsidies in addition to food stamps; stuff like powdered milk and the aforementioned government cheese. It's literally all some people had to eat.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

No, believe me, I've been living out of a food bank for a few years now. It just blows my mind how organized it is, to the point where substitutes are created to fill a desire for a certain thing. Instead of going, "we don't have thing" it becomes "we don't have THING but we damned if we aren't going to make thing similar to thing"

e: I just want to make it clear that I'm not going "haha poor people" it's just that government made cheese is super alien to me. Not to get all :smith: on people but when I was a kid and we ran out of money I literally just didn't eat. Probably because my parents were too proud/stupid to get assistance, but as far as I know there was no Canadian government cheese.

cash crab has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Jul 28, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

VendaGoat posted:

Potato Polyps

Honestly at this point in my life I don't want to. I graciously accept.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

Fairly certain it's either that or just hunks of cheddar chopped from a block and layered in the casserole dish.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Those are called Tater Jims, Tater Jimmies, Jimmy Taters, James Tates, or Jimbo Tatoes

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Gonna get me some Spud Diddlers

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

cash crab posted:

America gets weirder the more I learn about it

HAHAHA it's so glossy

....It's subsistence food.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I don't know what a "tater tot" is

They're potato gems, I'm pretty sure.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That's a funny way to spell jim

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Potato croquettes

e:spelling

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Spud bumps

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Are they like Starch Dropsies?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Irish carb bombs

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Are those like jimbob fryjobs?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Oh! They're Tuber Tips!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Efexeye posted:

Creamed chipped beef on toast is poo poo on a shingle* (the toast is the shingle). It is delicious.

That other thing is ground beef and despair.

*source: navy, also google

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Irish carb bombs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tubits

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

cash crab posted:

e: I just want to make it clear that I'm not going "haha poor people" it's just that government made cheese is super alien to me. Not to get all :smith: on people but when I was a kid and we ran out of money I literally just didn't eat. Probably because my parents were too proud/stupid to get assistance, but as far as I know there was no Canadian government cheese.

The USA helps it's dairy industry by providing subsidies to farmers, resulting in very cheap dairy. Canada instead restricts dairy production and applies tariffs to dairy imports, resulting in more expensive milk and cheese, and in turn more profits for dairy farmers. This has the side benefit of making cheese-smuggling a thing that happens for real.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Here we just make so much loving cheese that we have to sell it all over the world.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

This one wins because it's awful and dumb but I can actually believe someone somewhere calls them that.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

death .cab for qt posted:

Those are called Tater Jims, Tater Jimmies, Jimmy Taters, James Tates, or Jimbo Tatoes

death .cab for qt posted:

That's a funny way to spell jim

I read these in a Kiwi accent and it was glorious. Thankyou.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Here we just make so much loving cheese that we have to sell it all over the world.
Expensive though. While I'd like to buy mainland cheese, at $8 for 500g I have to settle for coon for 6-7. Other cheap cheeses here suck (like devondale etc), so coon is the best out of a bad bunch.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I read these in a Kiwi accent and it was glorious. Thankyou.

It's actually a North Dakotan accent (not the accent from the movie Fargo) but god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Fo3 posted:

Expensive though. While I'd like to buy mainland cheese, at $8 for 500g I have to settle for coon for 6-7. Other cheap cheeses here suck (like devondale etc), so coon is the best out of a bad bunch.

Ha! It's like $8 NZ for a KG here.

If only shipping cheese was viable, I'd just mail you some.

• Locked thread