Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

InfiniteZero posted:

Part IV had all sorts of issues with various people attached to direct at different points and then the actual director disavowed the film.

I think the reason that it jumps around so much, as Grendels Dad mentions, is because it wasn't completely finished when the director ditched and the second director did some rewrites and tried to string it together, so there are plotlines that just dangle.

I bet the stories some of the people could tell would be really interesting (but also maybe end in a lawsuit).

As for the documentary: I can understand just covering the first two films, because then you can cover Hellraiser and its world. If you go into the other films, you'd probably end up with something more like that (fantastic) documentary about Richard Stanley trying to make Dr.Moreau in 1996. It would be a real shift in tone. At least with NOES and F13, you can cover all the films without really feeling the need for mea culpa for even the weakest entries in the series.

I still agree that I want to see a doc about those films though -- maybe as a companion to Leviathan?

Yeah, I think splitting it into a doc about the good ones and a doc about the crap ones is the smartest way to go, which is why it's fortunate that the former exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As a horror fan I'm embarrassed/proud to say that I finally tracked down one of the all-time classics that had alluded me for years, The Changeling. I stumbled upon it at a Barnes & Noble for $5, couldn't pass that up.

I guess most people would end up seeing this before Exorcist III, but if for whatever reason you haven't and you liked George C. Scott in Exorcist III, definitely make a point of seeing The Changeling. This is a more subdued performance than Exorcist III, so in a way its better, he feels a little bit more like a real person than Kinderman.

It has a gothic feel to it, as if it could be a Hammer film. Its one of those "the house is its own character" kind of ghost stories. Plus its a mystery not dissimilar from The Ring, so its fun to figure out what happened as the film goes on. I feel like if Scott had done just one or maybe two more horror films of this caliber he'd be considered a horror icon today.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MantisToboggan posted:

Did anyone else watch Creep and conclude that the filmmakers were making it up as they went along? It seemed very slapdash to me.

I think what I was really into was Mark Duplass's performance and the way the movie messed with my expectations which may be part of what you perceived as slapdash. I obviously never bought that he was normal, but I did buy maladjusted psycho stalker particularly infatuated with this guy, while in reality he's just a methodical serial killer with a peculiarly complex design.

It seemed like both the actor and the character were having a blast.

Baku fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 23, 2015

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
If I've been neutral to most of Zombie's work, would I still potentially like Lords of Salem?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

If I've been neutral to most of Zombie's work, would I still potentially like Lords of Salem?

I think of his previous work it'd be most relevant to ask if you liked Halloween II, its the closes stylistically to Lord's of Salem.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes, it's very different tonally to his previous stuff. It has more in common with films like Rosemary's Baby than it does House of 1000 Corpses or Halloween.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, it's very different tonally to his previous stuff. It has more in common with films like Rosemary's Baby than it does House of 1000 Corpses or Halloween.

Its definitely not a slasher, which you could argue his previous films were, at least to a certain extent.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

I thought it was more of the same but this time with Ken Russell influence thrown in there as well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

If you're like me and you like parts of his other movies, and dislike other parts, you'll like parts of this one as well.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wrong thread.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Timeless Appeal posted:

Watch it, its alright.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrVenkman posted:

In a sense, yes. But also Josef basically hits the nail on the head afterwards (Actually Patrick does before then as well) by believing that He's a hosed up but ultimately good dude. Remember that there's some moments that we are privy to that Patrick isn't. It's not a dealbreaker for me though, and its executed well enough for me to forgive it.

But Patrick should be aware of all of it, the dude's filming the whole movie himself and has all of the footage of Josef stalking him in this own home as he sleeps and walks around. There's not a single thing we know that he shouldn't, unless he just intentionally films his whole life all of the time and never checks his own footage.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't like much Zombie but loved LoS.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Saw Creep. Thought it started really strong and Mark Duplass put in a great performance. He's scary without being too overtly menacing, and you get the feeling this guy doesn't really know how to interact with other people very well. He could just as well have an anti-social disorder of some sort.

I just never felt like the film recovered in the third act after the "grave digging" fake out, which I thought was a neat little gag in and of itself. I have to give props to the film for having the audacity to try to shoot scary scenes during daylight, but it didn't have the dread and tension of the first 2/3s. And the ending just felt pretty anti climactic and ho-hum after all of it. Oh he kills him matter of factly, oh he's a prolific serial killer. It's too bad being a serial killer is something of a cliche letdown at this point.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Louise Gossett Jr working his rear end of in Jaws loving 3 is a beautiful thing. Seal the park god dammit.

Talented actors in...not so great horror films is one of my favorite things. Christopher Lee reads The Howling 2 like he'd read King Lear. It's kind of inspiring.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Lords of Salem shares all of the imagery, sounds, actors, pacing, etc. from the other Rob Zombie films but it's really its own beast. It's more Rosemary's Baby meats Ken Burns with a heaping of crazy schlock and satanic imagery. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes crazy horror films regardless of how they feel about Zombie.

Then again, I REALLY like LoS.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm also pretty meh on his film work and I didn't like LoS. It's shot very well and it's got pretty colors, but the story and characters are pretty vacant to me. He's clearly got talent but he draws from his influences so much that it often goes beyond simple homage. Like we get it, you loved the 70s. I kind of have the same problem with Robert Rodriguez and his neverending love for grindhouse. Tarantino at least inserts his own style when he pays tribute to his influences.

That said, I'll still rock out to Blood, Milk, and Sky any day.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Thanks, I'll add it to me two months of horror starting after Labor Day.

Also, I think The Visit looks fun and I don't care who knows it. I know that Shyamalan hasn't made anything resembling a good movie in over ten years and he's become a bit of a punchline. But it was a bummer watching the trailer in theaters, and hearing people actually gasping and really getting into it only to groan when his name came up. It's just applying creepy little kid cliches to old people, it's pretty apparent from the trailer what's going on, and I already think I know what the dumb twist is and I'm going to eat this poo poo up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm also kind of looking forward to it. The childhood horror of "people who are supposed to be authority figures that know better, but are clearly acting in an irrational or scary way" is something that's not tapped into very often.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm also kind of looking forward to it. The childhood horror of "people who are supposed to be authority figures that know better, but are clearly acting in an irrational or scary way" is something that's not tapped into very often.

That's one thing that the 90s Body Snatchers remake did pretty well with the little kid. Adult structure and authority leaving kids all alone is part of what scared me so much about the Golan Globus Invaders from Mars, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

That's one thing that the 90s Body Snatchers remake did pretty well with the little kid. Adult structure and authority leaving kids all alone is part of what scared me so much about the Golan Globus Invaders from Mars, too.

The ultimate of this BTW is The Gate. The Visit is going to own.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My big problem with The Visit is that the concept is basically impossible for me to take seriously on any level. It's just completely, hilariously absurd.

It might be a lot of fun if the film ends up realizing this, but the trailers make me suspect that the film is playing it totally straight, which is just not gonna work for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jack Gladney posted:

You mean the one on the military base? That movie had some hilariously bad special effects.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

My big problem with The Visit is that the concept is basically impossible for me to take seriously on any level. It's just completely, hilariously absurd.

It might be a lot of fun if the film ends up realizing this, but the trailers make me suspect that the film is playing it totally straight, which is just not gonna work for me.
Well, it's a bit unclear what is actually going on although one aspect is pretty clear. I think the film looks like its letting itself be goofy without winking at the camera which is pretty on point.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Has anyone seen Green Inferno? I've been seeing some polarized reactions to it and I'm curious how Roth pulls off a Cannibal Holocaust style film. I'm a little leery of the very weird undercurrent of "LIBERALS try to go and help people and get murdered, loving idiots" that seems to be a part of the film going by the really lovely poster it has in that Bad Film Poster thread.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 26, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has anyone seen Green Inferno? I've been seeing some polarized reactions to it and I'm curious how Roth pulls off a Cannibal Holocaust style film. I'm a little leery of the very weird undercurrent of "LIBERALS try to go and help people and get murdered, loving idiots" that seems to be a part of the film going by the really lovely poster it has in that Bad Film Poster thread.

I first learned about it from an article with the title "ENOUGH! ENTIRE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY SAYS ‘NO MORE’ TO SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS" with a picture of Eli Roth's character from Inglorious Basterds holding a bat to a Nazi's head.

I guess that means being considerate of others makes you an actual nazi who deserves to die.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He made it around the KONY stuff so I'd imagine it's more a response to that. I can't imagine anyone currently making movies has enough time to stay up to date with the ebb and flow of idiots on the Internet.

rvm
May 6, 2013
As The Gods Will is Miike in his low effort mode unfortunately. Still there are couple of cool scenes and the whole thing was pretty tightly paced, so it didn't feel like it was 2 hours at all. It's just that he could do way more with the premise in my opinion.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I've still been wanting to see Miike's Over your dead body but it's taking forever to get a proper release.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just checked out In Fear and liked it quite a bit, mainly due to how much tension they pulled off for how minimalist it was, and because I like Iain de Caestecker.

Much of the plot is background though I understood the vast majority of it. It felt like this had been going on for a long time. I think the one thing I didn't really get was the ending though: Why did Max let Lucy hit him? I get that it has something to do with his childhood, escalating from jumping in front of cars to see who would swerve, but at that point he clearly knew she wanted to kill him. Unless they were going for an "it's creepier the less you know" feeling, which I can understand.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

OldTennisCourt posted:

To "hype" the film some sort of fake online petition against it was made too.

The problem is that Eli Roth has always come across as a cement-headed douchebag, so if they're trying to spin the film as "we're mocking liberals!", it comes across as stupid and ugly rather than actual commentary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

To "hype" the film some sort of fake online petition against it was made too.

The problem is that Eli Roth has always come across as a cement-headed douchebag, so if they're trying to spin the film as "we're mocking liberals!", it comes across as stupid and ugly rather than actual commentary.

I always thought it was bizarre how quickly Roth was anointed Prince of Horror after Cabin Fever and Hostel. I wasn't overly impressed by either of those films, and the decade afterwards hasn't really changed my opinion of him, as he hasn't really done anything. I guess the same thing kinda happened with Ti West, he made two films that were pretty good and all the sudden he's the next Carpenter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

I always thought it was bizarre how quickly Roth was anointed Prince of Horror after Cabin Fever and Hostel. I wasn't overly impressed by either of those films, and the decade afterwards hasn't really changed my opinion of him, as he hasn't really done anything. I guess the same thing kinda happened with Ti West, he made two films that were pretty good and all the sudden he's the next Carpenter.

Could be worse

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Basebf555 posted:

Horror junkies tend to have really bad taste.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I always thought it was bizarre how quickly Roth was anointed Prince of Horror after Cabin Fever and Hostel.

I think it helped that he was buddies with Quentin Tarantino and that Peter Jackson pimped out Cabin Fever pretty hard right in the middle of making his Lords of the Rings films.

Also, you can say what you want about him, but his trailer for Thanksgiving was great:

I'm not sure if we actually need a full film of it though: he nailed it with the trailer.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I'm just to the point where I'm happy when people recognize the director of ANYTHING. This goes like tenfold for horror.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

I'm just to the point where I'm happy when people recognize the director of ANYTHING. This goes like tenfold for horror.

True. I had a depressing moment this weekend where I was explaining to a friend that the Mission Impossible films have been Cruise projects from the beginning and how he went out and personally hired De Palma for the first film. But I had to just say "the director" and "the guy that directed Scarface", because De Palma is way to obscure for my 30 year old friend to have any clue who he is. For the people in my social circle a director has to be literally Spielberg or maybe a J.J. Abrams to show up on their radar.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Has anything heard anything one way or the other about Tales of Halloween? The list of directors is what could charitably be called a mixed bag, but I would really like a Halloween-themed horror anthology to be good.

Here is the trailer they showed at Comic-Con: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2tA1e8UAZ4

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Eli Roth is a hack who's ridden off the success of his two vastly overrated films. The Green Inferno is yet another hacky movie by him. It's full of bad acting, bad directing, terrible writing, and good gore FX. And if you want to know about the marketing campaign (I'll spoil in case anyone is sensitive, but I'm not gonna go into details) the film deals with student activists who stop a corporation from tearing down a forest that a native tribe lives in, only to find out the tribe is cannibalistic after they're captured by the natives. So it's just Roth doing a "ha ha bet you wish you didn't protect those natives now!" bit, which could be taken as Roth supporting wiping out Amazonian tribes, but he's too loving stupid to make a statement like that. He just enjoys lame ironic fates for his characters.

I saw this almost 2 years ago at TIFF on a whim, and I'll admit that the gore is incredibly nasty, so it'll deliver for certain horror fans in spades. I barely remember a lot of it in all honesty, it was just lame as hell. Roth can stay in Chile and help other, hopefully better people make movies. And he needs to have his "master of horror" status revoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeyman1138
Sep 4, 2004

justlikedunkirk posted:

the film deals with student activists who stop a corporation from tearing down a forest that a native tribe lives in, only to find out the tribe is cannibalistic after they're captured by the natives. So it's just Roth doing a "ha ha bet you wish you didn't protect those natives now!" bit, which could be taken as Roth supporting wiping out Amazonian tribes, but he's too loving stupid to make a statement like that. He just enjoys lame ironic fates for his characters.

I saw this almost 2 years ago at TIFF on a whim, and I'll admit that the gore is incredibly nasty, so it'll deliver for certain horror fans in spades. I barely remember a lot of it in all honesty, it was just lame as hell. Roth can stay in Chile and help other, hopefully better people make movies. And he needs to have his "master of horror" status revoked.

So how would it make him more intelligent if he was literally endorsing wiping out Amazon tribes? What a ridiculous thing to say.

I feel like people get really angry about Roth for no real reason. Cabin Fever is a solid fun romp, Hostel is an effective, nasty slow burn that is actually smarter than usually given credit for. (shame about the torture porn subgenre it spawned, a monicker not applicable to the original film) The second one was a smart expansion on the themes of the original. I will say Aftershock is pretty terrible, a miserable mean-spirited slog to a dick punch of an ending (although only written/starring, not directed by him) Back to The Green Inferno (saw it at Frightfest last year) It's a bit of a mess, wildly veering in tone from almost unwatchably nasty stuff happening to characters, to goofy stoner humour in the blink of an eye. Definitely the weakest of his films,(have not seen Knock, Knock yet) but still worth a watch. I can understand why people might think otherwise given that god-awful poster they released recently. The activist theme is definitely more about slacktivism than SJW, don't think that'd become too big of a thing when this was filmed, bearing in mind it's been on the shelf for a good couple of years now.