Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Black Gull, which is not in the game, will outright have him seeing poo poo and raving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Silentgoldfish posted:

I've been trying that but I still lose the other games...

I'm assuming the idea is to play all my lovely cards in the first round and make the opponent use their good ones?

Sort of. Play all your spies, maybe some lower level cards (pull these out of your deck entirely later) and maybe your leader special (unless it's a tactical buff/nerf you need later). The moment he passes you stop playing cards, unless you can easily win the round or you're decoying cards back into your hand.

If you have a bunch of medics, you can play nonhero cards freely early on. An excellent card to do this is the nilfgaardian archer, but any 5-6 point card works too. The idea is that you make the other guy burn more/better cards to overtake your lead.

Edit: an overlooked aspect is pulling out crap cards from your decks ASAP. Any non-spy/medic/tight bond card under 5 pts should get tossed out as soon as you have enough cards to make up the unit minimum.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 28, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Black Gull, which is not in the game, will outright have him seeing poo poo and raving.

Witcher 4 drinking scene.

"It's 50% white gull and 50% black gull" :catdrugs:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silentgoldfish posted:

I've been trying that but I still lose the other games...

I'm assuming the idea is to play all my lovely cards in the first round and make the opponent use their good ones?
You should have as few lovely cards in your deck as possible. You should be able to buy some good cards from merchants once you are in Velen to swap out your Poor loving Infantry and whatnot.
Check out http://www.gwentcards.com/
Creatures: Exactly 22, bigger numbers are better. You want to pull from the Northern Realms and Neutral options on that list.
Non-Creatures: You want to run 2-3 Decoys, 1 Scorch, 1 Commander's Horn, 1 Biting Frost, and no other special cards.

Strategy: Don't lose.

edit: use the "Foltest Lord Commander of the North" as your leader. He is a Clear Weather without needing to have on in your deck which is 10000000% better than the starter Foltest. As you get more familiar with the game you can decide if you want to use either of the other Foltests. I prefer Lord Commander through the end of the game, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 28, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Foltest the Siege Master is best Foltest.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Is new game + going to offer anything interesting or new difficulties? My first playthrough was on Death March and I ended the game being death incarnate and blowing through most battles. I'd love to go through again but it'd get real boring with no challenge.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of the weather effects one, since it doesn't search and draw a clear skies, it just clears weather. This frees up a card.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

You should have as few lovely cards in your deck as possible. You should be able to buy some good cards from merchants once you are in Velen to swap out your Poor loving Infantry and whatnot.
Check out http://www.gwentcards.com/
Creatures: Exactly 22, bigger numbers are better. You want to pull from the Northern Realms and Neutral options on that list.
Non-Creatures: You want to run 2-3 Decoys, 1 Scorch, 1 Commander's Horn, 1 Biting Frost, and no other special cards.

Strategy: Don't lose.

edit: use the "Foltest Lord Commander of the North" as your leader. He is a Clear Weather without needing to have on in your deck which is 10000000% better than the starter Foltest. As you get more familiar with the game you can decide if you want to use either of the other Foltests. I prefer Lord Commander through the end of the game, though.

With how much I've played, I don't know how I haven't figured out how to get additional leaders. Whatever, I steamroll basically everybody even with the base Foltest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

With how much I've played, I don't know how I haven't figured out how to get additional leaders. Whatever, I steamroll basically everybody even with the base Foltest.

I don't know how to unlock them either.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My Gwent tactic against the AI is to give them enough of a point advantage in the first round with spies that they pass... and proceed to drop a 15 point hero down winning the round while getting plenty of card advantage. Sometimes they'll be wary of losing card advantage but you need to determine during your first round whether you're going for a first round loss and be careful or to start with a win and throw everything at them the second round. If I win the first round, I will almost always win the second one.

Delaying your turn with anything to extend the first round to keep forcing the opponent to play something and wasting important cards like Scorch and heroes earlier rather than later is important for opponents with tougher decks like in the high stakes game. Those guys had some insane initial hands if you ask me. Freakin' three spies every drat time so if you don't start with decoys you lose serious card advantage.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

A few are quest rewards. You can get Foltest the Siege Master by beating the Nilfgaardian dude in Vizima at Gwent in the prologue, for instance. Most of them you have to buy, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Sharmat posted:

I prefer Lord Commander because then I dont give a poo poo if I can throw a horn on my siege units if I draw heavy Melee and Ranged and my opponents throw down some weather. Having a Clear Weather on command is better than a Commanders Horn on only one row on command.

necrobobsledder posted:

My Gwent tactic against the AI is to give them enough of a point advantage in the first round with spies that they pass... and proceed to drop a 15 point hero down winning the round while getting plenty of card advantage. Sometimes they'll be wary of losing card advantage but you need to determine during your first round whether you're going for a first round loss and be careful or to start with a win and throw everything at them the second round. If I win the first round, I will almost always win the second one.

Delaying your turn with anything to extend the first round to keep forcing the opponent to play something and wasting important cards like Scorch and heroes earlier rather than later is important for opponents with tougher decks like in the high stakes game. Those guys had some insane initial hands if you ask me. Freakin' three spies every drat time so if you don't start with decoys you lose serious card advantage.
You dont start the game owning even a 10 point card so this is terrible advice for someone asking about how to get started.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. Plus Geralt has firsthand experience with the suck that is getting pitchforked.

On top of that, you have to wonder about the villagers being able to arrange the setup without talking about it. "Get the Witcher to the barn and occupy him while randomboy hits him with a pitchfork" has a lot of moving parts that would fall apart pretty easily...unless they had it planned out beforehand. Running down the rest of the village after fighting through the trap was pretty nasty though, but after fighting a tough murderbeast, getting cheated, set up, and pitchforked I'd probably be "gently caress these guys and their families" too.

We need an emote for "That's The Witcher!" for lovely ambiguous situations like :xcom:

I feel like this is the appropriate response.

You're in a world where horrible monsters exist.. you are doing a job which other people die doing and your risking your neck to "help" people only to be stabbed in the back with a pitch fork. I'd go murderous on the whole village too.

One thing I noticed was this isn't the first time it's happened. He's got his "Failure pay" trophies in his secret hide out which Geralt comments on. Also if this guy also comments his younger sister died of old age recently, so he's probably around the same age as Geralt. yet he only has 4 "failure pay" trophies.. Which means the guy isn't inherently evil, just angry at the world like Lambert.

Something i thought was weird was that when you say "i'm not here to judge you" to Gaetan.. Geralt says "They call me the butcher of blavikan for a reason, sometimes heads... heads just roll"

yet Blavikan wasn't about being cheated, Blavikan was about saving the entire town from a horrible bitch.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 28, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

A few are quest rewards. You can get Foltest the Siege Master by beating the Nilfgaardian dude in Vizima at Gwent in the prologue, for instance. Most of them you have to buy, though.

Can you go back to Vizima? Because he was too tough when I tried to play him at that point, he kept killing my cards with a card that had some kind of green goop on it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Beeez posted:

Can you go back to Vizima? Because he was too tough when I tried to play him at that point, he kept killing my cards with a card that had some kind of green goop on it.

Yeah, you can.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Oh, good, thanks.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He's beatable the very first time you meet him, if you bought some cards from the innkeeper at White Orchard. It'll take a few tries, but it can be done. If you just have the starter deck though, you're hosed and will have to come back later.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

me your dad posted:

On PS4:

I'm scavager hunting for some upgraded Cat gear. My active quest is the boots and the icon shows active at the mouth of a cave. I get there, and nothing updates. I actually found the boot schematic in the cave a while back, but it's still telling me the active bit is in the cave.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Yeah this happened to me too. I just gave up eventually.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

He's beatable the very first time you meet him, if you bought some cards from the innkeeper at White Orchard. It'll take a few tries, but it can be done. If you just have the starter deck though, you're hosed and will have to come back later.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I bought many cards in White Orchard because I was worried about wasting too much money on that and not having enough for more pressing things, but I did manage to beat the Bloody Baron recently so maybe I'll be able to beat that nobleman at Vizima now.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So the guy for the Black Pearl quest died to some drowners while I was swimming back to give him the pearl. Is the rest of the quest good/important enough that I should reload a save?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game should should be called Favorman.

Sometimes they are fun enough but sometimes it just feels so tedious. It seems like literally every character interaction is followed up by some fetch quest favor and it can really kill the momentum. I just got to the isle of mists and I was thinking " wouldn't it be funny if they just ruined this cool scene with an npc sending me on some fetch quest" and lo and behold... It's like clockwork.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

NESguerilla posted:

This game should should be called Favorman.

Sometimes they are fun enough but sometimes it just feels so tedious. It seems like literally every character interaction is followed up by some fetch quest favor and it can really kill the momentum. I just got to the isle of mists and I was thinking " wouldn't it be funny if they just ruined this cool scene with an npc sending me on some fetch quest" and lo and behold... It's like clockwork.

You're a witcher, a noted doer-of-things-for-people. It makes sense if you look at it that way.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Geralt's emotiveness more than makes every fetch quest worth it. Any time the conversation remotely hints that someone is going to as you a favor, he just signs and becomes so resigned to his perpetual hell.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

l33t b4c0n posted:

Geralt's emotiveness more than makes every fetch quest worth it. Any time the conversation remotely hints that someone is going to as you a favor, he just signs and becomes so resigned to his perpetual hell.

To be fair, most MMOs would be better if every quest dialogue was preceded with ":sigh: you're going to ask me for a favour aren't you"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game and Dying Light are two of the only video games I think I have ever played where the main character openly expresses that they fuckin' hate fetch quests and will only do them if the reward is good.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So the guy for the Black Pearl quest died to some drowners while I was swimming back to give him the pearl. Is the rest of the quest good/important enough that I should reload a save?

Maybe? Not really for any good video game reason, it's a well written little quest.

spoilers for the quest
He says he can't pay you then and there and asks you to meet him back in novigrad. You meet up with him later and it's revealed that his wife has had hardcore alzhiemer's or whatever fantasy equivalent for years. The veteran is not rich and gives you 20 crowns for your trouble.

That quest hit me real hard because my grandmother has alzheimer's and I honestly wasn't expecting the quest to go that way for whatever reason. :smith:

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 28, 2015

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I think I've run into a big. I've done all 6 of the Wolf School treasure hunts yet I am somehow missing the diagram for the enhanced trousers.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

For what it's worth it's a bug introduced by 1.07. You can reload a save before talking to him on the bridge, swim for the pearl first and start the quest when you already have it so you don't even have to enter water and can defend him right there when the drowners arrive.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Something i thought was weird was that when you say "i'm not here to judge you" to Gaetan.. Geralt says "They call me the butcher of blavikan for a reason, sometimes heads... heads just roll"

yet Blavikan wasn't about being cheated, Blavikan was about saving the entire town from a horrible bitch.

It could be a translation thing from a polish idiom that fits better but the sentiment is still right, Geralt knows that sometimes you can't do the right thing (including protecting your own skin) without killing a few people.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Snak posted:

Sweet. I don't care how long it takes as long as it's coming.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy poo poo I missed alot of places of power and didn't realize it. Got like six I think on my current playthrough out of like twenty :psyduck:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dandywalken posted:

Holy poo poo I missed alot of places of power and didn't realize it. Got like six I think on my current playthrough out of like twenty :psyduck:
There are tons on Skellige but they really get lost in the sea of question marks.

Skellige could really use a faster boat or something. All the ? at sea are already padding for people with OCD, I get it but there's really nothing happening between them at sea and it takes forever to get from one to another. I understand that the message from the devs is 'we actually don't want you to do this' but then it would be easier to just cut all those sea ? from the game or if that's not the intention then at least give me a 2x faster boat thanks to some sail upgrade or whatever.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

It could be a translation thing from a polish idiom that fits better but the sentiment is still right, Geralt knows that sometimes you can't do the right thing (including protecting your own skin) without killing a few people.

Yeah. Blaviken was a situation spiraling way out of control leading to a lot of unintended deaths. It's comparable, in a way.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Snak posted:

http://gwentcards.com/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah. Blaviken was a situation spiraling way out of control leading to a lot of unintended deaths. It's comparable, in a way.

The people Geralt butchered in Blaviken were all professional bandits...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He still didn't want to get involved. And he really hated having to kill Renfri.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Still feel like the AI sometimes gives me an 'awww, poor little human' round and passes with one 4 bat on the table or something. Maybe it's less of a thing for other decks but for NR that's a free card right there.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

"Why the gently caress did you bring the Kingslayer?"

"Eredin's a king isn't he?"

"gently caress you"

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Is there a list or guide detailing which quest fail when completing others? I had Following the Thread fail on me when I was progressing through the main story so I had to reload a save. I'd like to avoid that if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Palpek posted:

Skellige could really use a faster boat or something. All the ? at sea are already padding for people with OCD, I get it but there's really nothing happening between them at sea and it takes forever to get from one to another. I understand that the message from the devs is 'we actually don't want you to do this' but then it would be easier to just cut all those sea ? from the game or if that's not the intention then at least give me a 2x faster boat thanks to some sail upgrade or whatever.

I think the ?'s are meant to be things happening when traveling between islands/between different parts of the same island. That's how I think of them anyway. If I need to get from one place to the other and feel like using a boat, I'll chart a course through as many ? as possible.

I don't actually clear them though, I think all of them so far have been hidden treasures or smugglers' caches.