Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

boom boom boom posted:

But it's fiction. Lots of characters in fiction exist only to do a thing, like a nerdy character who's only there to provide exposition so the audience knows what's going on, or a jerk who's only there to crate an obstacle for the protagonist. Are they not "legitimate as a character"?

Explicit sexualization and character traits are two different things. Sexualization of women exists as part and parcel of our patriarchal system and culture, sexualization is speech drawing from that source. The end result is a character not defined by their characteristics, but rather an object solely to be appraised by men. Far as I'm concerned, this isn't good speech, and its character is lacking. This is why sexualization is negative. It is speech drawing from a bad source, and only serves to dehumanize female characters.

Edit: Obviously the converse is true as well, with sexualization of males, as well as lesbian women or gay men appraising this or that thing. I'm focusing purely on sexualization of women in regards to a male audience, however.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I like Homura, she is cool.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
She steals guns from Yakuza and shoots animated clip art to death.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Sure is getting tumblr in here.

Hommando posted:

I like Homura, she is cool.
Yeah she's okay.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I bought all the figures and I'd do it again.

Actually, I've started an unhealthy hobby and I've been unable to stop myself, please send help.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mordaedil posted:

Actually, I've started an unhealthy hobby and I've been unable to stop myself, please send help.

More like send more money and shelf space, am I right?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Mordaedil posted:

There's only one way. Sell them all to me and you just might be saved from anime hell.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Packing all my figures up would be a huge pain so my plan is to never move again for the rest of my life.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

Sell me ultimate Madoka.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My boner has been delegitimised

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The terms godoka and madokami are inherently really weebish and speak about the poster as a person more than their hatred of homuras collarbone ever could

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ps your argument about why the sexualisation is bad always boils down to "i don't think they needed it" which isn't very good critical thinking even with all the superfluous words

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ultimately, homuras dress is really tame for anime and fits the shows usual allegories of puberty and love perfectly. Homura has abandoned her usual conservative look in order to express her love towards meguka.

Design wise, it's called "contrast"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Space Flower posted:

There's only one way. Sell them all to me and you just might be saved from anime hell.

I post in ADTRW, it's already too late for me.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Sell me ultimate Madoka.

Which one?

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

My apologies, I realized later that I was conflating sexuality and sexualization, when they aren't the same thing. That said, I find Sayaka's arc is moreso defined by impossible idealism and the consequences of such, how attempting to be a hero of justice and emulating Mami's "example" only ends up destroying her. A lot of the relationship between the three characters can be defined as such, Sayaka attempting to heal Kyousuke in an altruistic manner, or struggling with regret over saving Hitomi. While romance does play a part, I feel only as an aid to the larger structure of Sayaka's arc and how it plays into Madoka as a whole.

Yeah I thought we ended up having our wires crossed over something like this. Sayaka is definitely also a died-in-the-wool idealist and that ends up destroying her, but I still think her arc isn't comprehensible without her romantic frustrations being centre stage. In my opinion, you've put the cart before the horse, and a lot of her more dogmatic decisions (giving Kyouko her grief seed, refusing to accept Homura's grief seed) are based on self-destructive behaviour resulting from low self-esteem. But I'm happy to admit how you evaluate the two elements is a question of interpretation.

Lord Justice posted:

Sexualization and sexuality are two different things. To me, sexualization equals the objectification of women, which in turn delegitimizes a character because they become objects. This is the problem with Demon Homura's outfit, in that it is delegitimizing Homura (albeit in a minor fashion). The outfit could have been made differently, while retaining the principles already expressed by Space Flower and others.

But I will die on the hill of thinking this is a silly way to look at Homura's dress. Namtab just nailed why above me, but I will restate a point I made earlier: Demon Homura isn't here to make you comfortable. She's doing what she thinks will make her happy after a long time repressing her emotions and behaviour, and even if it's self-defeating, she owns it. The design comes from and expresses the change in the character, which is very different from Mami in a towel or whatever.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Namtab posted:

Ps your argument about why the sexualisation is bad always boils down to "i don't think they needed it" which isn't very good critical thinking even with all the superfluous words

Worse than that, it's just a verbose way of saying that something is offensive, which is never an argument anyone should take seriously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

ok thanks for the info, my girlfriend and i have been looking for a trashy action anime with cool ladies in it to fill the dirty-pair-shaped hole in our hearts but it sounds like we should probably just watch symphogear or gatchaman crowds instead
black lagoon, jormungand, canaan, el cazador de la bruja

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Noir is probably okay too, though I only really like it for the soundtrack.
Also any Cutey Honey apart from Flash.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

The answer is implicit in the definition, sexualization of women is the objectification of women, it turns them into objects and dehumanizes them.
no! it doesn't!!! this is a really loving creepy thing to say!!!!!!

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Seriously, it's okay to just say "I don't like Homura's dress" without trying to twist it into a fault of the movie and a whole lot of blanket statements about sexuality.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I don't know how easy it is to find these days, but Cleopatra DC is a great anime along those lines.

Endorph posted:

It's immature, it what it is. They're basically saying that sex and sexuality are bad, which is not something an adult should be thinking or saying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other trashy female protagonist 80's/90's stuff that may or may not be good: Project A-ko, Devil Hunter Yoko and Agent Aika, the latter of which probably still holds the record for most panty shots in anything, ever.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There's plenty of objectification of women throughout media, but sexualization of women does not automatically correlate to objectification of them, even if a lot of media does both at the same time. Most women like sex just fine and sexualizing them is both healthy and empowering for everyone. Objectification involves removing the "self" from subject, where no sympathy can be garnered.

Homura in her dress is a mature view of a sexually empowered woman matured from a shell of a girl who likes to dress herself down and takes her form because she is evocative of a sucubus in theme and form. She has drained life and purpose from those around her and she claims to be a devil to Madoka's god. She is an apostate made to sell, made to be coveted, be desired and lacks any form of empathy for those that admire her.

Open your wallets and buy the figurine now for $68.98.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

*Cake Attack proceeds to write his magnum opus: The Guy with lots of dead girlfriends and a gun*

I'm glad I didn't miss this post, but I regret reading it while eating breakfast.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Dang I didn't see that specific point while looking through the new posts, jesus christ.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Example A of Ume Aoki's sexually charged designs

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I'm getting all hot and bothered

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

black lagoon, jormungand, canaan, el cazador de la bruja

Sakurazuka posted:

Other trashy female protagonist 80's/90's stuff that may or may not be good: Project A-ko, Devil Hunter Yoko and Agent Aika, the latter of which probably still holds the record for most panty shots in anything, ever.

wow thanks! i'd apologise for derailing the thread but considering what i'm derailing it from right now i don't actually feel so bad about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can we discuss how much the canaan op owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQ-Rc5B21o

(it's alot)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I seem to remember totally going to watch Canaan at one point but then didn't.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cheetah7071 posted:

Sometimes boobs are just boobs, not weapons used by the patriarchy to oppress women.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
- George Carlin

Endorph posted:

can we discuss how much the canaan op owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQ-Rc5B21o

(it's alot)

Pretty sweet, but I wish the plot and side characters didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. In a similar vein, I was always partial to the first OP to Blood+. Too bad the story was so plodding.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

Open your wallets and buy the figurine now for $68.98.

Woah. that's cheap!

Space Flower posted:

Example A of Ume Aoki's sexually charged designs

never noticed before that madoka's feet mutated into winged hooves.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a cardcaptor reference. probably.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

I post in ADTRW, it's already too late for me.

Which one?

Oh god, there's more than one?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
How is it that this thread can go several months, with only a couple posts every couple weeks, then go up 200+ posts in the last several days? Jesus H Christ y'all are fuckin' crazy. We need something to break up all this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwXaK12envI
yeah, that'll do.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Blaziken386 posted:

How is it that this thread can go several months, with only a couple posts every couple weeks, then go up 200+ posts in the last several days? Jesus H Christ y'all are fuckin' crazy. We need something to break up all this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwXaK12envI
yeah, that'll do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKxNI7_5dc This too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sexualisation can lead to objectification, but they aren't the same thing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hot babe is going out, puts on a sexy dress, is now no longer a person (Lord justice, 2015)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Sexualisation can lead to objectification, but they aren't the same thing

They are when you sexualize a figma figurine.

Unless they are doing Jojo, then it's fine

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread