Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Lumius posted:

It was good, real good.

I am happy you enjoyed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
My latest three:

Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, and Rosemary's Baby. Will probably update this post with thoughts later. Have fallen a bit behind on booklording.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I've been reading a collection of Chekov's plays during these awful hot summer nights. The (somewhat similar!) ending of Ivanov and The Seagull was uh interesting. I sort of hope all his plays end in the exact same way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So there's about 5 months left and I have like half the challenges left and a few books left for my own personal challenges. That's easily doable but I have gotten serious about planning this poo poo out since I need to put in holds at the library.

I've gotten some good recommendations for absurdism, philosophy, and plays from within the bowels of the thread. The last few I'm thinking through are "unreal" and "hate or love" and I am wondering if people could explain their reasoning behind their choices, just to see if I could get some inspiration. It seems like a lot of "unreal" picks are sf/fantasy or magic realism where bizarre poo poo happens. Likewise "hate or love" can easily default to a love story which are a dime a dozen, although I saw The Berzerker chose a book about the science of annoyance which is pretty cool.

Also I am not bashing anyone who went with just a straightforward pick, just seeing if anyone had any special reason for choosing a book in that category and seeing if I could get some inspiration for myself.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I kinda just checked those two challenges as I went along. I never really planned ahead for them, but added a book I've read if I thought it fit the theme.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's the colour red that has me worried (that Stavinsky will track me down and beat me up for failing the challenge)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm thinking of going the incredibly obvious path and see if I can't find a book that has some sort of backdrop of communism in it, but not have the word "red" anywhere in the title.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Read Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe. The Red Army is mentioned about every other page and that was good enough for me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's the colour red that has me worried (that Stavinsky will track me down and beat me up for failing the challenge)

Stravinsky will only track you down if this is your choice for the colour red, otherwise you're free to interpret the prompt as you wish.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Corrode posted:

Read Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe. The Red Army is mentioned about every other page and that was good enough for me.

interesting suggestion. That'll check my history challenge too. Though I'd probably seek out something less politically biased.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 29, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Read Jung's Red Book

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am reading Farewell to Matyora for the love/hate category. It is a book ridden with nostalgia and missing the simple village life (a love for it that resides particular in childhood) but at the same time does not glamorizes it. I thought it would end up being nothing but pastoralism but it definitely does not.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

There is a right and wrong way to fulfill the red category. But I'm not telling and will destroy you if you get it wrong. :devil:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Read Babyfucker by Urs Allemann for love/hate.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

Don't read books by right wing propagandists.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

My Name is Red is the one I'll be reading. Looks pretty interesting.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Is it possible to fulfill the challenge only with warhammer/star wars books? Except blind owl, obv.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A human heart posted:

Don't read books by right wing propagandists.

Or do and just be aware of the bias? It's not like she's David Irving.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Burning Rain posted:

Is it possible to fulfill the challenge only with warhammer/star wars books? Except blind owl, obv.

yes, but do you find reading those books challenging? dis is a challenge list

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I kinda went down a Marvel comics rabbit hole this month, and I'm not counting comics or graphic novels towards my challenge, so not a lot of progress. But besides comics, I also read the following in July:

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
Heather O'Neill - Daydreams of Angels

I'm using Fahrenheit 451 as my banned/censored book, and the other is my collection of short stories. Here's my progress on the Booklord challenge:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 30/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 12/10)
3. The non-white author (Janet Mock - Redefining Realness)
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay (Paul Lockhart - The Mathematician's Lament)
7. A collection of poetry (Patricia Lockwood - Motherland Fatherland Homelandsexuals)
8. Something post-modern (Douglas Coupland - Worst Person Ever)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (Joe Palca and Flora Lichtman - Annoying: The Science of What Bugs Us)
12. Something dealing with space (Mark Danielewski - House of Leaves)
13. Something dealing with the unreal (Margaret Atwood - The Year of the Flood)
14. Wildcard (George Macdonald Fraser - Black Ajax)
15. Something published this year or the past three months (Nick Cutter - The Deep)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time
17. A play (Neil Simon - The Odd Couple)
18. Biography (Amy Poehler - Yes Please)
19. The color red (Josef Albers - Interaction of Color)
20. Something banned or censored (Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451)
21. Short story(s) (Heather O'Neill - Daydreams of Angels)
22. A mystery

I'm now tackling challenge 16. I've had Legs McNeil's "Please Kill Me" on my shelf for years and have never cracked it open so I just started that.

Guy A. Person posted:

Likewise "hate or love" can easily default to a love story which are a dime a dozen, although I saw The Berzerker chose a book about the science of annoyance which is pretty cool.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've tried to go a little outside the box on some of the challenges, like my love/hate challenge. For the color red, I read a book on color theory, which is probably the most literal interpretation I could think of but it was more interesting to me than reading the Scarlet Letter or something about communism.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

July - 7:

26. The Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell)
27. The Pale Horseman (Bernard Cornwell)
28. Beauty and Sadness (Yasunari Kawabata)
29. The Blind Owl (Sadegh Hedayat)
30. The Lords of the North (Bernard Cornwell)
31. Sophie's World (Jostein Gaarder)
32. The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (Jonas Jonasson)

The three Bernard Cornwells are part of the Saxon Stories thing he's been doing lately, about the Danish invasion of Britain and King Alfred's Wessex. I haven't read a ton of Cornwell before (Azincourt and his Arthur series) but I picked up some of these for 99p out of a charity shop and the rest my sister bought me so whatever. They delivered basically what I expected, which is fun macho early-Mediaeval adventure stories. Low on brains, high on Germanic dudes chopping the poo poo out of each other, which was a welcome intellectual break after 1100 pages of der Fuehrer. One thing though - holy poo poo does he love rape. I can't remember if this was the case with the other stuff of his I read, but these are absolutely chock full of rape. Sure, it's appropriate to the times and a fair reflection of what Dark Ages raiding and conquest would have been like, but it manages to be both constant and also treated amazingly lightly (the second book is the worst, where the main character finds a whore he knows in a tavern being gang raped and chases the Danes off, and she just sits up and goes "Oh I'm so sore!" then it's never mentioned again). It's a bit of a weird note in what are otherwise pretty standard heroic historical fiction books.

After all that Beauty and Sadness was much deeper. I'd never heard of Kawabata until my girlfriend spotted this on an Amazon related search thing, so apparently targeted advertising does work because I loved it. One of those slim books where I figured I'd pace myself and savour it then read the whole thing in about two hours because I didn't want to put it down.

I followed that up with The Blind Owl for the challenge. I think the best thing I can say about it is that I can't forget it and I find myself thinking about it even though it's been weeks since I read it now. I was really into the repeated imagery and the dreamlike feel of it all - it reminded me of Narcopolis which I read last year, which is similarly about opium addiction among people who are or feel they are outcast from society, and has that same kind of circular narrative. I would never have read it without the challenge so cheers Stravinsky I guess!

Sophie's World was another one that I read for the booklord thing for the philosophy component. It's YA as all hell but it's very interesting and was actually pretty good as a philosophy 101 (which is after all the point). I probably wouldn't read it again, but I'd give it to my future kid when they're old enough to get something out of it. The meta-narrative was surprisingly fun too and not at all what I expected it to be.

The Hundred Year Old Man was a book I bought for my girlfriend when we started going out which she loved so I read it too. It's very funny and sweet and the main character's uncritical and open-minded approach to the world is refreshing to read about. It did also make me want to drop everything and travel the world but sadly I don't think I'd end up running into and befriending a bunch of world leaders who can coincidentally bail me out of whatever bullshit I'd fallen into, so it wouldn't work out so well.

7 books this month was pretty good going after not really motoring through it previously this year. I ticked off two more for the challenge and got to read a few things I was really looking forward to, so that all worked out well. Next up some poetry I think (probably the bit of this I want to do the least).

Year to Date: 32

01. The Establishment: And how they get away with it (Owen Jones)
02. Mussolini and Fascist Italy (Martin Blinkhorn)
03. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
04. All You Need is Kill (Hiroshi Sakurazaka)
05. Theft: A Love Story (Peter Carey)
06. Stalin (Kevin McDermott)
07. Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)
08. Revenge (Yoko Ogawa)
09. The Good Soldier Svejk and his Fortunes in the Great War (Jaroslav Hasek)
10. The Buried Giant (Kazuo Ishiguro)
11. after the quake (Haruki Murakami)
12. The Colour of Magic (Terry Pratchett)
13. The Light Fantastic (Terry Pratchett)
14. The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope and Survival in Theresienstadt (Hannelore Brenner)
15. Equal Rites (Terry Pratchett)
16. Invisible Cities (Italo Calvino)
17. Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956 (Anne Applebaum)
18. Running with the Kenyans (Adharanand Finn)
19. Notes from Underground and The Double (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
20. First Novel (Nicholas Royle)
21. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
22. Mort (Terry Pratchett)
23. Schlump (Hans Herbert Grimm)
24. Concrete (Thomas Bernhard)
25. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (William L. Shirer)
26. The Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell)
27. The Pale Horseman (Bernard Cornwell)
28. Beauty and Sadness (Yasunari Kawabata)
29. The Blind Owl (Sadegh Hedayat)
30. The Lords of the North (Bernard Cornwell)
31. Sophie's World (Jostein Gaarder)
32. The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (Jonas Jonasson)

Booklord categories: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Year So Far...

1) Ghostwritten by David Mitchell
2) Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody*
3) The Dark Defiles by Richard K Morgan
4) Off Season by Jack Ketchum*
5) The 39 Steps by John Buchan*
6) The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey*
7) Feed by Mira Grant*
8) Old Man's War by John Scalzi*
9) The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan*
10) Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov*
11) Pronto by Elmore Leonard*
12) Brothers by William Goldman*
13) Flashman and the Tiger by George MacDonald Fraser
14) Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin*
15) An Act of Courage by Allan Mallinson
16) Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek*
17) Fly Away Peter by David Malouf*
18) The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross*
19) Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks*
20) The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin
21) Trouble is My Business by Raymond Chandler*
22) Sharpe's Sword by Bernard Cornwell
23) Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson*
24) Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley*
25) A Model World and Other Stories by Michael Chabon*
26) By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept by Elizabeth Smart*
27) The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story by Stephen Donaldson*
28) The Prince by Machiavelli*
29) The First Person and Other Stories by Ali Smith
30) The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater*
31) Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson
32) First Love, Last Rites by Ian McEwan*
33) Teaching Critical Thinking: Practical Wisdom by Bell Hooks*
34) Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie*
35) Close Quarters by William Golding
36) At the Mouth of the River of Bees by Kij Johnson*
37) Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng*
38) Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin
39) The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
40) The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman
41) The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country by Neil Gaiman
42) The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman
43) The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman
44) The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections by Neil Gaiman
45) Nightworld by F Paul Wilson*
46) The Children of Men by PD James
47) The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien*
48) The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy*
49) Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
50) The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton*
51) Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein*

Booklord Challenge Bingo

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year (34/52 authors not read before - indicated by asterix).
2. Read a female author (17)
3. The non-white author (4)
4. Philosophy (Machiavelli)
5. History
6. An essay (Hooks - a collection)
7. A collection of poetry
8. Something post-modern (Pale Fire)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (The Narrow Road to Deep North)
12. Something dealing with space (Use of Weapons)
13. Something dealing with the unreal (Something Wicked This Way Comes)
14. Wildcard (I need one!)
15. Something published this year or the past three months (The Dark Defiles)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (The Luminaries)
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The colour red (The Scarlet Pimpernel)
20. Something banned or censored
21. Short story (4 collections - Chabon, Smith, Johnson, McEwan)
22. A mystery (Trouble is My Business)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 9, 2015

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

High Warlord Zog posted:

14. Wildcard (I need one!)

Read The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

July update.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. - 31/40
2. Read a female author - Gabriela Mistral
3. The non-white author - Ta-Nehisi Coates
4. Philosophy - Either Derrida or Spinoza
5. History
6. An essay -
7. A collection of poetry - A collection of Poems by Gabriela Mistral (includes poems from Desolación, Ternura, Tala, Lagar and Poema de Chile), The Collected Poems of Alberto Caeiro by Fernando Pessoa
8. Something post-modern - Inherent Vice by Pynchon.
9. Something absurdist - Waiting for Godot
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!) I read this last year
11. Something on either hate or love - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
12. Something dealing with space - The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
13. Something dealing with the unreal - Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read) - The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
15. Something published this year or the past three months - Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time - Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
17. A play - Waiting for Godot
18. Biography - Ingar Sletten Kolloen's Hamsun biographies
19. The color red
20. Something banned or censored - Woodcutters by Thomas Bernhard
21. Short story(s) - The Lady with the Dog, and other stories by Anton Chekhov
22. A mystery - Arguably The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, I'll see if I cannot get something else too just to make sure I didn't cheat this.

1. Hear the Wind Sing, Haruki Murakami
2. Pinball 1974, Haruki Murakami
3. On The Beach, Neil Shute
4. Collected Poems by Per Sivle
5. History of the Siege of Lisbon, José Saramago
6. Wayfarers, Knut Hamsun
7. The Seed, Tarjei Vesaas
8. Morning and Evening, Jon Fosse
9. The Collected Poems of Alberto Caeiro, Fernando Pessoa
10. Doktor Faustus, Thomas Mann
11. Collection of poems, Gabriela Mistral
12. Doctor Glas, Hjalmar Söderberg
13. Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez
14. Invisible Cities, Italo Calvino
15. Inherent Vice, Thomas Pynchon
16. Road to the Worl'd End, Sigurd Hoel
17. The Cyberiad, Stanislaw Lem
18. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
19. The Clown, Heinrich Böll
20. The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Lev Tolstoy
21. Fathers and Sons, Ivan Turgenev
22. A Theatrical Novel, Mikhail Bulgakov
23. Sleepless, Jon Fosse
24. Woodcutters, Thomas Bernhard
25. Confusion of Feelings, Stefan Zweig
26. The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, Heinrich Böll
27. The Elephant's Jurney, José Saramago
28. Shyness and Dignity, Dag Solstad
29. Krysantemum, Rune Christiansen
30. The Feast of the Goat, Mario Vargas Llosa
31. Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates

31/40

A new round of pretty introspective novels this time around as well. The two Norwegian novels, written 15 years apart, follows a kind of similar theme though with a different plot and setting. In Shyness and Dignity, we follow an upper secondary school teacher. After an incident in the school yard where he snaps and loses his temper, he begins to contemplate his life, his position vis-á-vis society, and both how and why he has the kind of relationship with his wife that he has. In Krysantemum the story is centred around Agnes Løv, who has moved to Basel to finish her doctorate thesis on Alfred de Vigny. Here, too, the protagonist spends a lot of time reflecting both on her own life, both past and present, and especially her relationship with her father.

Between the World and Me was interesting in that it gave an incredibly personal and intimate view on racial relations in the US. A perspective that I as a white European had no prerequisites to actually understand on beforehand. What stuck with me most, I think, was the part about his very first trip to Paris, and how he was so taken aback by how different the "reality" was there versus back home in Baltimore.

The Feast of the Goat centres around the assasination of Rafael Trujillo, former dictator of the Dominican republic. The novel constantly changes perspectives throughout the book, between the people conspiring to murder him, El Jefe himself, and the political game that arose after his death. It wasn't the most brilliant book, but it had some really interesting parts here and there.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 31, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

I've gotten some good recommendations for absurdism, philosophy, and plays from within the bowels of the thread. The last few I'm thinking through are "unreal" and "hate or love" and I am wondering if people could explain their reasoning behind their choices, just to see if I could get some inspiration. It seems like a lot of "unreal" picks are sf/fantasy or magic realism where bizarre poo poo happens. Likewise "hate or love" can easily default to a love story which are a dime a dozen, although I saw The Berzerker chose a book about the science of annoyance which is pretty cool.

Also I am not bashing anyone who went with just a straightforward pick, just seeing if anyone had any special reason for choosing a book in that category and seeing if I could get some inspiration for myself.

I generally just read a book I was planning to read anyways and then look at what categories it would check off; if I'm trying to decide what to read next I'll use that as a tiebreaker.

For those specifically, I picked More Than Two for Hate/Love (it's a book about polyamorous relationships, so the connection is pretty obvious). For Unreal, I felt like counting fantasy or SF would be kind of a cop-out, because the stuff those books are writing about is real within the setting of the book. Instead I went with The Demon-Haunted World, which is largely about superstitions and pseudoscience -- belief in things that aren't real, and unreal explanations for things that are.

ulvir posted:

I'm thinking of going the incredibly obvious path and see if I can't find a book that has some sort of backdrop of communism in it, but not have the word "red" anywhere in the title.

I'm counting Rockets and People as my Red book. And I'm almost done volume 4, so my monthly update will probably be sometime this weekend.

After that I think I need some very light reading. Maybe I'll finally read the entire David Starr, Space Ranger series by Asimov -- I had some of the books when I was growing up, but I was missing the first and last ones.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
2) Akira Vol. 3 - Katsuhiro Otomo
3) Steel Magnolias - Robert Harling
4) The Four Feathers - A.E.W. Mason
5) Giant's Bread - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie)
6) A Good Marriage - Stephen King
7) Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains - Jon Krakauer
8) In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
9) Foundation - Isaac Asimov
10) The Best of Edward Abbey - Edward Abbey
11) A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal - Robert Macintyre
12) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind
13) Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) - Brandon Sanderson
14) The Giver - Lois Lowry
15) Lost in the City - Edward P. Jones
16) The Blithedale Romance - Nathaniel Hawthorne
17) Akira Vol. 4 - Katsuhiro Otomo
18) The Art of War - Sun Tzu
19) William Howard Taft: The Travails of a Progressive Conservative - Jonathan Lurie
20) The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet
21) Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Frederick Douglass
22) Spring Snow - Yukio Mishima
23) The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
24) The Arabian Nights: Tales From a Thousand and One Nights - Anonymous
25) Arabella - Georgette Heyer
26) Woodrow Wilson: World Statesman - Kendrick A. Clements[
27) The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
28) Worm - Wildbow
29) The Rosetta Key - William Deitrich
30) Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
31) The Ohio Gang: The World of Warren G. Harding - Charles L. Mee
32) Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman
33) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2) - Brandon Sanderson
34) A Royal Experiment: The Private Life of King George III - Janice Hadlow
35) Calvin Coolidge - David Greenberg[
36) Savage Summit: The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the Worlds Most Feared Mountain - Jennifer Jordan
37) White Teeth - Zadie Smith
38) I Come From the Stone Age - Heinrich Harrer
39) Akira Vol.5 - Katsuhiro Otomo
40) An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
41) Throne of Jade - Naomi Novik
42) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) - Brandon Sanderson
43) Unfinished Portrait - Agatha Christie writing as Mary Westmacott
44) French Lessons: Adventures With Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew - Peter Mayle
45) Akira Vol. 6 - Katsuhiro Otomo
46) Herbert Hoover - William E. Leuchtenburg
47) The Enchanted April - Elizabeth Von Armin
48) Paris - Edward Rutherfurd
49) Shelley: Poems - Percy Bysshe Shelley
50) The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
51) Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World - Mark Kurlansky
52) Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
53) Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden
54) FDR - Jean Edward Smith

July:

55) The Running Man - Stephen King: This was pretty good. I like King more when he's brief and the weird dialects he gives his characters have less time to get on my nerves. It's a little dated but a fun read.
56) Orange is the New Black - Piper Kerman: This was better than I expected it to be. An interesting peek into a federal women's prison and the people affected by the war on drugs.
57) A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James: This was my wildcard for the Booklord Challenge. It took me forever to get into, but I found myself enjoying it by the end. I never really got a handle on all of the character points of view, though I feel like an expert in Jamaican swear words now.
58) The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley: Loved this. Arthurian legend told from the female characters points of view. Very good.
59) Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl Strayed: The parts of this book where she talks about actually hiking the trail were fantastic. The parts where she goes on and on about her life story prior to hiking the trail were not so great. It would have been better if some of the life history had been culled.

Total: 59/100
Presidential bios: 6/12
Non Fiction barring prez bios: 14/25

Stravinsky's Challenge:
1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 59/100
2. Read a female author - The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
3. The non-white author - Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Frederick Douglass
4. Philosophy - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
5. History - In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
6. An essay - The Best of Edward Abbey - Edward Abbey
7. A collection of poetry - Shelley: Poems - Percy Bysshe Shelley
9. Something absurdist - Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind
10. The Blind Owl - The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
11. Something on either hate or love - Arabella - Georgette Heyer
12. Something dealing with space - Foundation - Isaac Asimov
13. Something dealing with the unreal - The Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson
14. Wildcard - A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
15. Something published this year - Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time - Giant's Bread - Mary Westmacott
17. A play - Steel Magnolias - Robert Harling
18. Biography - William Howard Taft: The Travails of a Progressive Conservative - Jonathan Lurie
19. The color red - A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal - Robert Macintyre
20. Something banned or censored - The Giver - Lois Lowry
21. Short story(s) - Lost in the City - Edward P. Jones
22. A mystery - The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

1: Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
2: Irrationality by Stuart Sutherland
3: I think you'll find it's a little bit more complicated than that by Ben Goldacre
4: Testing Treatments, second edition, by Imogen Evans, Hazel Thornton, Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou
5: London Falling by Paul Cornell
6: The Shattered Streets by Paul Cornell
7: Neverwhere (Author's Preferred Text) by Neil Gaiman
8: Symbiont by Mira Grant
9: Pact by Wildbow/J C McCrae
10: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, Pere
11: Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
12: Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart
13: Eight Skilled Gentlemen by Barry Hughart
14: Academic Exercises by K J Parker
15: Brayan's Gold by Peter V Brett
16: The Skull Throne by Peter V Brett
17: Perfect State by Brandon Sanderson
18: Sixth of the Dusk by Brandon Sanderson
19: Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson
20: Mitosis by Brandon Sanderson
21: A Slip of the Keyboard by Terry Pratchett
22: A Blink of the Screen by Terry Pratchett
23: When to Rob a Bank by Levitt & Dubner
24: Jacaranda by Cherie Priest
25: Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse by David Mitchell
26: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
27: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
28: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
29: Hard Times in Dragon City by Matt Forbeck
30: Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
31: A Stranger to Command by Sherwood Smith
32: Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross
33: The Emperor's Blades by Brian Stavely
34: Glamour of the God-Touched by Ron Collins
35: Hairy London by Stephen Palmer
Glamour of the God-Touched was certainly a 50-page prologue to a mediocre fantasy epic. Meh all round. Not picking up the rest.

Hairy London: what the poo poo did I just read? This book was utterly bizarre. I liked quite a lot about it - the names were really evocative of the period, which I loved, and the action really popped along... but overall it just felt a little too rushed and a little too surreal for my taste. The story didn't ever really have time to develop because it just ploughed right on to the next weird historical in-joke or hair joke or whatever. It was fun but didn't impress me enough to pick up anything else by the author.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Ursus Veritas posted:

January
1. City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
2. Hotwire by Simon Ings

April
3. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente
4. The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust #1) by Craig Schaefe

May
5. Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle
6. Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence #1) by Max Gladstone
7. Touch by Claire North
8. The Three-Body Problem (Three Body #1) by Liu Cixin
9. Hero by Perry Moore
10. Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman
11. A Key, an Egg, an Unfortunate Remark by Harry Connolly

June
12. After the Golden Age (Golden Age #1) by Carrie Vaughn
13. Vicious by V.E. Schwab

July
14. Blackbirds (Miriam Black #1) by Chuck Wendig
15. In the Woods(Dublin Murder Squad #1) by Tana French
16. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas

After the Golden Age was okay, basic premise is how the child of Superhero deals with having no superpowers of their own. Decently written, but the plot was very predictable. Still it scratched my Superhero fiction itch for a little while.
Vicious was fantastic, easily my favourite book of the year thus far. It's another Superhero story but this one is about dueling best friends turned Supervillians and I just loved it, easily the best piece of Superhero fiction I've managed to read.
Blackbirds is a roadtrip urban fantasy, it toes the line of trying too hard to be gritty / super dark very well. Very much an introductory story though, not a lot of the universe is explained or really examined.
In the Woods was loving awful. The writing was fine, but the ending is garbage and left me feeling unsatisfied and like I wasted my time.
Throne of Glass is a novel for teenage girls that I read because I was bored. Nothing really special but still a fun read. I'm always surprised about what it's okay to write about in Young Adult books (in this case it's torture and references to rape) but what do I know? I was watching slasher flicks when I was seven.

Currently reading The Water Knife but it's not really doing anything for me, might drop it and read Aurora since the Sci-Fi / Fantasy thread is raving about it.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

quote:

1. Phoenix (Vlad Taltos #5) Steven Brust
2. Athyra (Vlad Taltos #6) Steven Brust
3. Orca (Vlad Taltos #7) Steven Brust
4. Firefight (Reckoners #2) Brandon Sanderson
5. Dragon (Vlad Taltos #8) Steven Brust
6. Issola (Vlad Taltos #9) Steven Brust
7. Dzur (Vlad Taltos #10) Steven Brust
8. Jhegaala (Vlad Taltos #11) Steven Brust
9. The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower #1) Stephen King
10. The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1) Phillip Pullman
11. Iorich (Vlad Taltos #12) Steven Brust
12. Unto the Breach (Paladin of Shadows #4) John Ringo
13. Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsouonder's Arc #1) Jeff Salyards
14. Tiassa (Vlad Taltos #13) Steven Brust
15. Hawk (Vlad Taltos #14) Steven Brust
16. The Phoenix Guard (The Khaavren Romances #1) Steven Brust
17. Five Hundred Years After (The Khaavren Romances #2) Steven Brust
18. The Viscount of Adrilankha: The Paths of the Dead (The Khaavren Romances #3.1) Steven Brust
19. The Viscount of Adrilankha: The Lord of Castle Black (The Khaavren Romances #3.2) Steven Brust
20. The Viscount of Adrilankha: Sethra Lavode (The Khaavren Romances #3.3) Steven Brust
21. The Warded Man (Demon Cycle #1) Peter V Brett
22. Thornbear (Champions of the Dawning Dragons #1) Michael G Manning
23. The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn #1) Michael G Manning
24. Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner #1) Lynn Flewelling
25. The Stranger Albert Cadmus
26. Mother Night Kurt Vonnegut
27. The Black Company (The Black Company #1) Glen Cook
28. Shadows Linger (The Black Company #2) Glen Cook
29. The White Rose (The Black Company #3) Glen Cook

I have slightly different reviews on my Goodreads. Some are longer or shorter or say different things depending on my mood when I wrote them.

32 of 80 books complete.

30. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive #2) by Brandon Sanderson - I got this bookt the week it came out and started reading it immediately. Then, I put it down 16 chapters in and didn't touch it until now, so that I could finally finish this wonderful book. It was really good, and I'm glad that I was finally able to get through it. It's sad that I'll have to wait until at least next fall or even later for the next one to come out, but it will be worth it.

31. Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire #1) by Mark Lawrence - A book that I'd started and stopped a couple of times before I finally finished it. It had its moments of being good and bad, but in general it was really kind of bland. It's some type of Fantasy - Post-apocalyptic setting and it just feels like it could have been much more than what it ended up being. I also can't take the characters seriously when they all follow the 13 year old main character out of fear when they're all grown men who've been killing others for years. I don't know if I'll get around to the later books in this series.

32. Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner #2) by Lynn Flewelling - I like the plot in these books. I also like the characters in general. I like how they tend to grow. The first book was great. This book is also really good, though it ends on a pretty down note. Even with that, I'm probably not going to read any more books in this series. I started reading the next book, and pretty much all the 2 main characters think about at the beginning is how much and where they've had sex during this last year. I don't give a gently caress about how much sex you've been having and where. It doesn't matter what type of relationship it is, you don't have to keep talking about it the entire time. Also, there is a bit to much predestination, though I don't mind that too much when it's well written.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 32 of 50
2. Read a female author - Luck in the Shadows Lynn Flewelling
3. The non-white author
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay - Signs of Life Sonia Maasik, Jack Solomon
8. Something post-modern - Will probably be Cloud Atlas
9. Something absurdist - The Stranger Albert Cadmus
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love
12. Something dealing with space
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard - Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
15. Something published this year or the past three months - Firefight Brandon Sanderson
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time - Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

I ended up going a couple/few months without reading anything, so now I am a bit behind. I'm sure I'll catch up and be able to reach my challenge goal, but I find it easier to read when it causes me to procrastinate my school work. With school starting up again late next month, we'll see what happens. I'm also in the middle of far too many books, and I don't know if I want to go finish those ones or start new ones.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
July!

64. Fourth of July Creek - Smith Henderson
65. Death Masks (Dresden Files #5) - Jim Butcher
66. A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
67. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
68. The Public Burning - Robert Coover
69. The Witches - Roald Dahl
70. The Deep - John Crowley
71. Go Down, Moses - William Faulkner
72. The Post-Office Girl - Stefan Zweig
73. Fool - Christopher Moore

Though I haven't really dug into my remaining booklord challenge books, I read some drat good books this month.

Fourth of July Creek and A Brief History of Seven Killings were books released last year, and I feel like they both snuck under the radar for me. Fourth of July Creek felt like something by a more accessible Faulkner or McCarthy - the cadence of the language reminded me of them, at least, sometimes - and follows a 1980s social worker who gets wrapped up with a violent off-the-grid survivalist waiting for the end of days. Brief History of Seven Killings was - ironically - a sprawling narrative about the gang world of Jamaica from the late 60s to the 90s, focusing first on the failed assassination attempt on Bob Marley in 1976. The story is told by a variety of people who were around or pivotal to the assassination attempt, including journalists, gang dons, and a deceased narrator who follows the mayhem from beyond death. Also, there are a lot of cool Jamaican cusses that I learned, as well.

The God of Small Things was possibly one of the most beautifully written books I've read this year, and follows a twisted family through some truly awful events in the 1960s in India. It reminded me a great deal of Midnight's Children and 100 Years of Solitude, only without the magic - everything is, for the most part, realistic. Go Down, Moses is Faulkner at his bitter, dusty best, following an even more twisted family tree through a Reconstruction-era South.

The Public Burning is a ridiculous, overblown, over-long book about the execution of the Rosenbergs in 1953. Told mostly by a nebbish, luckless Richard Nixon, it examines the American psyche at the time and presents it as a blustering, terrifying Uncle Sam figure that speaks like the apotheosis of American hubris - always fighting the Phantom, his nemesis from the East. Sometimes ridiculous, sometimes hilarious, it was definitely absurd, so that's my pick for #9.

Beyond that, Death Masks was the most enjoyable Dresden Files I've read yet, and I bought the next two books. The Witches was a reread of a childhood favorite, and it was just as macabre and brilliant as I remember. Fool was your typical Christopher Moore book - bawdy, cheesy, and eager to tweak the nose of the classics. (He reminds me of a horny American Terry Pratchett.)

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year.: 73/100
2. Read a female author: 13 (Roy)
3. The non-white author: (Roy, James)
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist: The Public Burning
10. The Blind Owl
12. Something dealing with space
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)
15. Something published this year or the past three months
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Squishy posted:

1 One Third of a Nation by Arthur Arent and others. A play exploring the dire housing situation in depression-era New York. Agit-prop long past its sell by date but still fascinating, mostly for being in such a foreign style. (17)
2 Agapé Agape by William Gaddis. Picked this up again and it's a really interesting read. Managed to get a few references that I missed last time, like I somehow didn't clock that he was talking about Nietzche, somehow. Still need to read it with a Steven Moore guide to get them all though.
3 Agapé Agape by William Gaddis. I had a long journey and it's 100 pages. Read through this time paying attention to the main character, how he's buffetted by bouts of intense pain and delerium.
4 The House of the Solitary Maggot by James Purdy. Another re-read, the bits in the cinema are as good as I remember them, but I was sure there was a crucifixion in this. Maybe it's in another one of his. It's written in a weirdly conversational style where characters and locations are introduced and then introduce their history with the family which we surely would have heard of before. It's a shoe-in for challenge eleven as every single one of the 5 characters both loves and hates each other. (11)
5 The Old Men at the Zoo by Angus Wilson. It's nice to see his continue hysterical attack over social niceties and the possibilities of violence infused with some surprisingly keyed-in social commentary. I mainly felt cut off from the time, this book realy conveys the panic of an age bouncing from WW2 into ann uncertain future of nuclear destruction and political irrelevance. I would say I enjoyed this book more than any of his other novels I've read.
6 Faust, part one by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe as translated by Phillip Wayne. I'm not sure how they've diveded up the play, part 2 seems a great deal thicker. Nice to see the black poodle circling Faust in little fiery steps. I probably need to reread this, I wasn't treating this fair.
7 The Double by José Saramago as translated by Margarat Jull Costa. After ignoring the trailers for Enemy for weeks I saw this in a bookshop and decided why not. I really enjoyed reading the book making GBS threads on this lovely dude and his slight ethical failiures. I honestly skipped over the chapter where anything happened because I couldn't be hosed reading about uh, blackmailing people into pimping out their partners. Sorry José.
8 The Blind Owl by Sadeq Hedayat as translated by Iraj Bashiri. Dug this thing. I liked it when he killed her 10
8 Fight Club by Chuck Palahuink. Boy, this wasn't good. I mean, the writing was OK but the underlying politics is just impossibly irritating.
9 Cathleen ni Hoolain by WB Yeats and Lady Gregory. Watta lotta Irish plays forthcoming. Included because otherwise I'd have read 4 books in two months. This one's a short blighter about the attraction of war. Also casts the Nationalist cause as a shapeshifting vampire, which is nice I guess.
10 Translations by Brian Friel. Clever play about language. Also included a dippy English soldier getting ganked by the IRA. RIP to him.
11 By the Bog of Cats by Mariana Carr. A Tennessee WIlliams-esque thing about capitalistic bastards trying to drive a traveller from her actual bog, which she stomps around while feeling emotions about her vanished mother. Gotta like that dumb sort of violence, I guess. 2
12 The Beauty Queen of Leenane by Martin MacDonagh. It's the In Brughes guy. It's like an O. Henry story with some gruesome abuse in the middle and a slick bit of violence throughout. Or well, like that one O. Henry story that everyone knows.
13 A Skull in Connemara by Martin MacDonagh. This has a lot more of that bloody violence. Features a kid who cooked a hamster and keeps going from there. Entertaining, you know.
14 Bailegangaire by Tom Murphy. Now this is a play. Family bickering going over the endlessly repeated retelling of history,like Krapp's last tape.
15 Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov. Fun but boy it shows that this was a series of stories rather than a novel. Characters are introduced and then dropped as the introduction was the only fun bit to write. I'm glad he didn't break the bowl at the end.
16 Cakes and Ale by W. Somerset Maugham. Brisk tale of snobbery and cosyness in the world of British publishing 50 years ago. An awful literary wife has appointed an awful hack to drum up an awful biography for her now-dead husband (who was mostly awful, but wrote a few good books), all overseen by the smug narrator who knows that the true merit lies beyond all this, in the bosoms of the sexually giving working classes and America. Maugham's satire of his colleagues is good but I don't think he has anything to say about what he admires. Bit hypocritical for the book takes a swing at Henry James for walking away from America and attempting to write about duchesses. I used to know the name of the chap this book was an insult to. Apparently Maugham befriended him, for material.
17 The Stain by Rikki Ducornet. Never heard of her, picked this up because I saw an uncorrected proof going for 50p and the first few lines seemed engagingly mental. The rest of the book followed through. It's like one of those wedding feasts Flaubert turns up his nose at except everybody's down with the party. Basically a 200 page orgy with religious-theming.
18 Libra by Don DeLillo. I don't like DeLillo but I quite liked this one, I guess because I've got more interest in the JFK assassination than a dumb baseball match or road movies. It's still shocking that an author of his standing can't write dialogue though. But hey, he can come up with some nice metaphors, though occasionally he lets himself get carried away.
19 Herzog by Saul Bellow. I really enjoyed this one. Old jewish man feels hard-done-by yet self-loathing as he constantly thinks about his awful ex-wife, etc.
20: The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem as translated by Michael Kandel. Bed time stories for parents to read when they want their children to grow up to be nerds. Very enjoyable.
21 Dead Babies by Martin Amis. A birthday present I was given... 8 years ago? Anyway, a whole vicarage full of awful druggy people but once you skim past the first 30 pages (which are a bit smug), it gets rather funny. Like Waugh or, I suppose, Kingsly Amis, these awful stereotypes tear themselves apart. Worst of all of are the Americans, of course, who take a rather Nietzchy view of things (the dead babies of the title are things like, uh, morals to be left by the wayside). It ends rather explosively but I had not been reading NEARLY CLOSELY enough to either understand or care.
22 Just One More Thing by Peter Falk. Another old birthday present. I like Columbo, and seeing the Wim Wenders film Wings of Desire pushed me into reading this. Less of a book more of a collection of talk-show anecdotes written down. I'm putting it down as a biography anyway. 18
23 Explosion in a Cathedral by Alejo Carpentier as translated by John Sturrock (I think). Picked this up because it was ex libris from a guy with pretty ok taste, at least a lot of 70s english pomo. I liked his descriptions of children at play, but didn't particularly care about the protagonist or his moral journey. Also I'm bigoted against novels not set in the author's lifetime. Are Cuban's nonwhite (for the booklord)? I'll wait.
24 This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski as translated by Barbabra Vedder. A selection from the short-writings of the Polish communist focusing on his experience in Auschwitz. I sort of want to read the other stuff. 21
25 Local Anasthetic by Günter Grass as translated by Ralph Manheim. Saw this in a second hand shop just after he died so I decided to go for it as my entrypoint for Grass. There's a copy of The Tin Drum boxing around here somewhere but I've not laid my hands on it. Dental work as a metaphor for political radicalism versus old-age-related indolence. Very good.
26 Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas LLosa as translated by Helen R. Lane. Romance between an 18 year old and his uncle's ex-wife in interrupted every other chapter by plots of radio serials. As the author of these serials is in the book, Vargas has great fun introducing us to quirks of his character and then having them play out in the following chapter. Good fun.
27 A Month of Sundays by John Updike. One of those fictional reverends who is sex-crazed, bitter, agnostic and pun-mad gets sent to write away his sins. It's a good thing he can write sex because that's the lion's share of this book.
28 The Day of the Locust by Nathanial West. I reread this for the first time after reading his complete works like, a decade ago. Still pretty fun.
29 Waiting for the Barbarians by J.M. Coetzee. It's basically disgrace but half the length and with a vague fantasy-setting so, uh, a categorical improvement.
30 Cat and Mouse by Günter Grass as translated by Ralph Manheim. Another later Grass as I continue to look for The Tin Drum. Beginning to suspect that Grass' political position is down entirely to his hosed-up teeth.
31 Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad. The more I read this the more I like it.
32 Strong as Death by Guy de Maupassant as translated by someone or other. It's an old Knopf copy, might be Ernest Augustus Boyd? The first Maupassant I've read where it doesn't ever dive headlong into filth. I mean, she burns some letters and feels as if she's burning herself, but it's no priest stomping on a bitch birthing puppies. Good despite that though.
33 At Swim Two Birds by Flan O'Brien. Now this was a lot of fun. Any one strand of this book is great, and switching between them can be a bit of a jerk as you're sorry to leave, but I guess if that's what he had to do. 8
34 Carpenter's Gothic by WIlliam Gaddis. I've got bookmarks in both JR and Frolic but I've got a bit bogged down in them. This one's still good though. Funny to read this both with the annotations AND having read Dispatches.
35 Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Gilbraith. Very readable, not good. The only thing in this book that rings true is the utter disdain for the British press.
36 The Silkworm by Robert Gilbraith. Far too long, and they keep stacking more and more ludicrous poo poo onto the detectives (one of them's a professional-grade stunt driver, apparently?). Repeats a simile likening strong tea to turpentine like it's something clever, and not what all our grans said.
37 The Silent World of Nicholas Quin by Colin Dexter. So this is what good detective fiction looks like. Better writing, much shorter, subtle clues and a clever solution. Filled with that very creepy donnish humour, and ends with Morse and Lewis jointly masturbating to a porno. 22
38 Let Us Now Honour Famous Men by James Agee. An impassioned communist/marxist attempts to hammer into your brains the physical existence of the poor. He mostly tries to do so by making a catalog of their possessions, with actual stories of their lives smuggled in through his run-on sentences. He then includes a letter he wrote to some poor magazine hack telling them to gently caress right off, for reasons unclear to me. The man's a lunatic. 14
39 The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole. Kinda... boring? But very short.
40 Vathek by William Beckford. The same gothic silliness as Otranto, but at least Beckford had a sense of humour in his prose style. Very strong opening paragraph and it continues throughout. That kind of excess is what I really like in fiction. 13

41 The Coup by John Updike. I thought it would be interesting to see Updike struggle with both race and politics. The standard egomaniac monologist is this time the dictator of an African dictator, as he tracks across his country in mufti, when he's not been spirited by a black Mercedes to his palace to talk to one of his wives. It's pretty bizzarre. Besides more expected Updikeisms (it's not ten pages before he suggests that the many women the previous ruler murdered were asking for it) he lets his imagination go wild in a way he never does in his American books. The KGB retrofit a severed head to act as an animatronic dispensing propaganda. Pretty fun.
42 Boss by Mike Royko. A philippic against Richard Daley, former mayor of Chicago and, to hear Royko tell it, a monomaniacal monster with a naked love of power that he excises by innumerable opaque wheezes. It starts out strange how much Royko hates Chicago politics but when it gets to the race riots his rage became more comprehensible to me.
43 A Burnt Out Case by Graham Greene. A depressed architecht accidentally acts exactly like a saint, despite being so bored of this whole morality thing. A better depiction of a saint than The End of the Affair where it's truly unbelievable, but maybe not the most interesting thing to read?
44 The Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges as translated by Andre Hurley. It's Borges, lots of tiby stories about labyrynths, alternate dimensions and cowboys stabbing each other. To be honest by the 50th 2-page story they all sort of blend into one. Has The Wait in it, where a chap opts to snooze through an assassination attempt, which was pointed out as one of the best by something I read ages ago. Since I've been meaning to read this for like a decade I'll say this was 16
45 Naked Lunch by William Burroughs. I decideed to take this back down off the shelf. It's kind of embarassing how much he idolized organized crime, but it's all in good fun. 20

Pretty bad month for reading but I suppose it can't be helped.

45/60
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

July.

36. Crime and Punishment. Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I didn't know why I couldn't finish it before, I should've done that a while ago. Now I can easily say it's one of my favorites. Yes, Dostoyevsky likes to ramble, but it's still good.
37. Monsters and Demons. Charlotte Montague. Only an easy intro to the themes.
38. Red 1-2-3. John Katzenbach. It was very meh, I was promised a psychological thriller and got some kind of weird Red Riding Hood fan-fiction with plain characters and a somewhat interesting story that never goes beyond the mediocre.
39. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. J.K. Rowling. I feel like I already read this in the first book. Regular.
40. The Martian. Andy Weir. The story is interesting but all the train of facts got boring. Very predictable too, but still enjoyable for some reason.
41. The Wee Free Men. Terry Pratchett. Pretty good, even if you can tell the target audience, that works great with the story and the characters.
42. The Wendigo. Algernon Blackwood . Good story, but kind of hard to read. The descriptions are amazing.
43. Xenocide. Orson Scott Card. Good book, but kind of plain. It felt like every single character was trying to make think like them by telling me exactly what they were thinking at all points with their weird philosophies.
44. The Fortress of the Pearl. Michael Moorcock. Regular, the story is pretty good but the book turn kind of tedious at some points.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year: 44/60
2. Read a female author: Jojo Moyes and others.
3. The non-white author: Khaled Hosseini and others.
4. Philosophy
5. History: Monsters and Demons, Charlotte Montague.
6. An essay: Unless It Moves the Human Heart: The Craft and Art of Writing, Roger Rosenblatt.
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!)
12. Something dealing with space: Transition, Iain M. Banks.
13. Something dealing with the unreal: Los mentales, Pgarcía.
15. Something published this year or the past three months
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time: Harry Potter and the Magician's Stone,J.K. Rowling.
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red: Red 1-2-3, John Katzenbach.
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

Discworld challenge 30/41

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

June + July in one post, and only four books. Rockets and People murdered me.

I'm only three days into August and I've already read another four books, though, so things should pick up again.

Booklord Challenge Update posted:

1. 58/96 books read; 13 nonfiction (22%), 19 rereads (33%)
Completed: 2-6, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22
New: 5. A History (Rockets and People)
New: 18. A biography (Rockets and People)
New: 19. The Colour Red (Rockets and People)

55. Rockets and People, Volume 2: Creating a Rocket Industry by Boris Chertok
56. Rockets and People, Volume 3: Hot Days of the Cold War by Boris Chertok

These, for me, are where the meat is. Volume 1 was interesting, but these two volumes deal mainly with the R-7 (more commonly known today as the Soyuz rocket) and UR-500 (Proton) rockets, and the many missions launched on them -- primarily the Sputnik, Luna, Mars, and Venera probes, and the Vostok and Voskhod manned missions.

57. The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

I needed a break before tackling volume 4 and a friend recommended this. I loved it. The one sentence summary sounds a lot like Stross's Laundry books, but those have a kind of "Pratchett does Lovecraft" feel, whereas this is a lot less Lovecraft and a lot more X-Men. It can get a bit expository at times (and feels more than a little "I've written all these cool setting notes and want to show them off" when it does), but it also has a convenient built-in explanation for it -- the expository text is the contents of letters the main character is reading, written by her predecessor in an attempt to give her a crash course in how to be the Rook. The result is a rather pleasant oscillation between present-day events, explanations of the setting and characters, and reminisces about the previous Rook's missions.

My biggest complaint is that, if you call the base of operations "The Rookery", the rank should be Rook as in birds, not Rook as in chess. :argh: I was expecting a rank structure based on corvidae and instead I got one based on chess pieces.

Apparently he's working on a sequel. I'm excited.

58. Rockets and People, Volume 4: The Moon Race

This, honestly, is where it rather bogs down. After the Luna probes -- already well covered in volumes 2 and 3 -- the USSR didn't really participate that much in the moon race. There were four failed N-1 launches, which get described here, but for the most part the book is focused on the administrative and political reasons behind the failure of the N-1 and the Soviet moon program in general, which I don't find nearly as interesting as the technical aspects. A number of interesting programs happen in this era -- the Salyut and Mir manned stations, the Energiya heavy lifter, and the Buran spaceplane -- but as Chertok was only tangentially involved in these, they get only a few paragraphs each.

On the whole, Rockets and People was worth reading, but I think if I had known going in how long it would take I might have sought out something a bit more focused on the rockets and less on the people.

After that, I think I need a break for some very light reading, so I'm starting off with Isaac Asimov's David Starr, Space Ranger series. I had some of the books as a kid, but now I have the entire series and it's past time I read it.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Here's my update for May through August since I haven't updated in forever.

22. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (classic #4)
23. The Pregnant Widow by Martin Amis
24. Joe Dimaggio: The Hero's Life by Richard Ben Cramer (a biography)- Interesting, although I think the author is much too sympathetic to Dimaggio and his wife-beating.
25. A Room Full of Bones by Elly Griffiths (a mystery)- Easy read, enjoyable.
26. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
27. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston- (non-white) (classic #5)- The language in this is simply beautiful.
28. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (space)- Got this from the library because I didn't want to give Card any money. This was a fun book.
29. Invisible Ma by Ralph Ellison (classic #6)
30. Daughter of the Saints Growing Up in Polygamy by Dorothy Allred Solomon- Fascinating look into polygamy.
31. Leave of Grass by Walt Whitman (classic #7)
32. Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey- Honestly had no idea gorilla behavior was this interesting.
33. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Arebe
34. The Narrative of Sojourner Truth by Sojourner Truth (classic #8)
35. The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court by Jeffrey Toobin - Loved this and found it very interesting the whole way through. (This is my book that has been sitting on my shelf)
36. The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory
37. Lost in the Meritocracy: The Undereducation of an Overachiever by Walter Kirn
38. The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 38/70

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

January
  1. Chestnuts: A True Story about Being Bullied by Gilbert Ohanian
  2. The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals: The Evil Monkey Dialogues by Ann VanderMeer, Jeff VanderMeer & Duff Goldman
  3. The Black Queen (The Fey #6) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
  4. The Black King (The Fey #7) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    February
  5. The Labours of Hercules (Hercule Poirot, #26) by Agatha Christie
  6. Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld
    March
  7. Harry Potter and the Natural 20 (Harry Potter and the Natural 20, #1) by Sir Poley
  8. Harry Potter and the Confirmed Critical (Harry Potter and the Natural 20, #2) by Sir Poley
  9. Women in Love (Brangwen Family, #2) by D.H. Lawrence
  10. A Mind Forever Voyaging: A History of Storytelling in Video Games by Dylan Holmes
  11. Due Justice (Justice Series, #1) by Diane Capri
  12. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
    April
  13. The Changelings (War of the Fae, #1) by Elle Casey
  14. Killer Cupcakes (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs
  15. The Long Goodbye (Philip Marlowe #7) by Raymond Chandler
    May
  16. Look Evelyn, Duck Dynasty Wiper Blades. We Should Get Them.: A Collection Of New Essays by David Thorne
  17. Spider-Man and the X-Men by Elliot Kalan
  18. Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students by Anders Henriksson
  19. Guards! Guards! (Discworld #8) by Terry Pratchett
  20. Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances #2) by Alexandre Dumas
    June
  21. College in a Nutskull: A Crash Ed Course in Higher Education by Anders Henriksson
  22. Pen Pal by Francesca Forrest
  23. What a Croc! by The NT News
  24. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
    July
  25. Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
  26. Maus by Art Spiegelman
  27. It's a Bird... by Steven T. Seagle & Teddy Kristiansen
  28. It Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction ed. Desirina Boskovich
  29. Datura by Leena Krohn
Total: 29/52
Female authors: 13/24
Non-fiction: 9/12

Goodreads.

Bleeding Violet seemed like it could have been a decent YA book, except for the fact that the protagonist just seems to have no interest in or curiosity about anything. Weird stuff is happening, and she doesn't so much take it in stride as just kind of ignore it. The main plot doesn't even get started until well into the second half of the book, and then it gets resolved by the protagonist suddenly developing super powers (because of her bipolar disorder interacting with the magic of the town).

I'm familiar enough with the story of the holocaust that that part of Maus didn't really do a lot for me, but I did really like the character of Vladek as an old man, both the way he told the story of his life during World War II and the stuff about him in the "present day" sections.

My biggest issue with It's a Bird is that I felt I didn't really have enough context to care about the protagonist, so he basically just came across as an arsehole most of the time. He had his reasons, obviously, but I wasn't invested in them so I was more against him than with him. And then the ending seems to skip straight to "and then everything was OK again" and now he likes Superman, I guess. It didn't really work for me. And it also didn't really seem to say anything much about Superman either.

It Came from the North might be worth reading as an introduction to some interesting authors you probably haven't heard of before, but it's pretty inconsistent. I liked some of the stories, I disliked some, and most were just sort of OK. It did put me onto Datura though, which was better, but mostly because of its side characters rather than the central plot. I also tried reading another book by Krohn, Tainaron: Mail from Another City, and found it just completely dull and pointless.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

3: I think you'll find it's a little bit more complicated than that by Ben Goldacre
4: Testing Treatments, second edition, by Imogen Evans, Hazel Thornton, Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou
36: Facade by Karen Kathryn Rusch
Facade was pretty interesting. It was a murder mystery crossed with a ghost story and it really rolled along well. I enjoyed the writing and the setting, but I think it being part of a literary fantasy story bundle kind of spoiled it a bit; I spent the whole book expecting it to be a ghost story. And in the end I rushed the last chapter a bit because I wanted to finish it in my break, so I'm not sure I 100% understood all the implications of what went on. But it was definitely a good read, and there's more from this author in another bundle I picked up (mildly addicted to storybundle right now) so I'll see what else she has to throw at me.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

1. The Forge of God by Greg Bear
2. The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn
3. Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo
4. To Sail a Darkling Sea by John Ringo
5. Islands of Rage and Hope by John Ringo
6. Strands of Sorrow by John Ringo
7. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
8. Foundation by Isaac Asimov
9. Reach for Infinity edited by Jonathan Strahan
10. The Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh
11. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
12. The Martian by Andy Weir
13. Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
14. The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
15. Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
16. A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe
17. Cibola Burn by James S.a. Corey
18. Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima by James Mahaffey
19. The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi
20. Dr. No by Ian Fleming
21. The End is Nigh edited by John Joseph Adams
22. The End is Now by John Joseph Adams
23. Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia
24. Escaping the Dead by W.J. Lundy
25. A Hanging by George Orwell
26. Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds
27. The Spirit Thief(Eli Monpress #1) by Rachel Aaron
28. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
29. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
30. Beacon 23 Parts 1 and 2 by Hugh Howey
31. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
32. Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov
33. Life, The Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

July Update, going to try to write more in my reviews and update on a regular basis for the rest of the year.

First up is Revelation Space. Being dropped into 3 separate stories across two worlds and a ship all light years apart made the first 1/3 of the book a bit tough to start. Once things started coming together and I started understanding some of the tech/terminology that was presented. Followed the story along really well even though some of more science stuff like the black hole and neutron stars explanation had me a little lost, even with my greater than average knowledge of space. But in the end I did like the book and will be picking up the others in the series.

I guess The Spirit Thief is compared to The Lies of Locke Lamora in it’s description. Aside from being fantasy and having a thief as a main character, they felt completely different. The Spirit Thief is a much much lighter, straightforward story. I liked it and was nice to read something light after Revelation Space. I guess I bought the omnibus so I’ll finish off the others in the series later.

Norwegian Wood was my selection for a book about love or hate in the booklord challenge. I had little to go on about the book other than the introduction blurb on Amazon. It’s hard to explain what I liked about it, but I thought it was quite good. Probably one of my favorite books I've read this year.

I chose Murder on the Orient Express as the mystery selection for the challenge. I could have chosen a sci-fi or fantasy mystery but thought I would pick something different and out of my comfort zone. While it was quite straightforward (murder, investigation, conclusion) I did enjoy it. I don’t know if I would reading more mysteries like this, but that is more because of so many other books to read and so little time, but it was worthwhile to read at least one.

I think Beacon 23 is a new set of short stories by Hugh Howey that at the end will combine to be a full length novel. So far #1, 2 and 3 have been released. I liked #1 more than #2 and have but not read #3. The stories revolve around an unnamed protagonist living alone on a beacon to guide FTL ships through a dangerous asteroid field and something happens. At only 20 to 30 pages each they are quick reads, but fun enough to keep reading as they are released.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is my selection for philosophy. I’m not real familiar with Zen philosophy before reading this book so I am just guessing based on it’s Amazon categories that this book applies for philosophy and I think I picked up at least a little bit of Zen philosophy in the process. The basic idea is that tidying up your living space will make everything much better in your life. Remove things that do not bring joy, don’t pack away a bunch of stuff that you may one day use(you never will use it), treating your belongings with respect. I guess it makes a bit of sense, maybe? Some of the techniques the book uses to tidy are strange like emptying your purse/backpack every day and putting stuff away until the next day. But others are more normal like using empty shoe boxes as organizers in your drawers.

In an effort to finish/advance further in some of the series that I have read only one or two of I picked up Foundation and Empire. It begins about 100 years after Foundation and it was good. Not quite as good as Foundation, but definitely good. As it is 300 years since the start of Foundation, the themes of a declining and failing empire are definitely obvious. I liked the merchant princes part of Foundation the most so continuing with the traders(either Foundation or independent) was interesting to me. I guess the consensus is to read the first three so one more to go!

Booklord Challenge
1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 33/52
2. Read a female author The Pride of Chanur
3. The non-white author A Personal Matter
4. Philosophy The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
5. History Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters
6. An essay A Hanging
8. Something post-modern Invisible Cities
9. Something absurdist Life, The Universe and Everything
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!)
11. Something on either hate or love Norwegian Wood
12. Something dealing with space Foundation
13. Something dealing with the unreal The Girl With All The Gifts
15. Something published this year or the past three months The Water Knife
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time Dr. No
17. A play The Importance of Being Earnest
18. Biography
19. The color red The Martian
21. Short story(s) Reach for Infinity
22. A mystery Murder on the Orient Express

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Progress: 12 of 25 books

1. The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell. 5/5.
2. The Martian, Andy Weir. 2/5. Booklord Challenge 1 completed: Read a book about space.
3. The Blind Owl, Sadegh Hedayat. 0/5. Booklord Challenge 2 completed: Read this lovely book.
4. Atlas of Remote Islands - Fifty Islands I have Never Set Foot On and Never Will, Judith Schalansky. 5/5 Booklord Challenge 3 completed: Read a female author.
5 The Golem and The Djinni, Helene Wecker. 4/5 Booklord Challenge 4 completed: Read a book about the unreal.
6. The Magicians, Lev Grossman. 5/5
7. The Magician King, Lev Grossman. 5/5
8. The Magician's Land, Lev Grossman. 5/5
9. Wolf In White Van, John Darnielle. 5/5
10. The Water Knife, Paolo Bacigalupi. 3.5/5 Booklord Challenge 5 completed: Read a book published in the last three months to a year.
11. Anathem, Neal Stephenson. 4/5
12. The Woman In the Dunes, Kobo Abe. 4/5 Booklord Challenge 6 completed: Read a book written by a non-cracker.

13ish - Dradin In Love, from City of Saints and Madmen, Jeff Vandermeer.

Mehhh. Lots of atmosphere and Vandermeer in love with his own writing. Interesting possibilities wasted on a very dumb plot. You knew the missionary was in love with a hologram/something not real, which made all his efforts pointless. Not sure if the rest of the collection is worth reading. Started the second story which has a bunch of snarky footnotes and I can't say that stirred the blood much. 1 out of 5 stars. Booklord Challenge 7 completed: Read a short story.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I Enjoyed the blind Owl a lot. the article contained with the translation probably helped with that immensely. Thinking a little more about it , so did the length. I'm sure It would've been exhausting if the same theme was expanded over 300+ pages. I think I'm approaching (if not done) the book lord challenge. I haven't consciously been reading things to check off the list other than the wildcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

36: Facade by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
37: Recovering Apollo 8 by Kristine Katherine Rusch
Recovering Apollo 8 was short piece, novella-length, with a really genuinely interesting alt-history/speculative fiction setting. Part of me really likes the idea, for some reason, that it would be failure, and the attempt to recover from it, that would drive humanity to success. It really rings true for me. This was a well-written piece, and highly enjoyable, I've been pretty impressed so far with both works of this author's which I've read, and will certainly carry on doing so.

• Locked thread