Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
No ticket has come in yet..

..but one of our IT-teachers just dropped by city hall for coffee and gossip. Apparently his school decided to overhaul their buildings over the summer and have stripped the buildings down to bare walls. Smart boards, projectors, WiFi APs, Routers, everything has been removed. Teachers and admin staff returns to work on Monday, and nothing is back in place yet. We haven't heard anything about the overhaul and can only wonder if they documented how the routers were patched up, or which router goes where, or took care to preserve the fiber cables, or one of all those little things that makes IT-related stuff work. My personal guess is that they didn't think at all, and come Monday "we" have a problem. I say "we" because most of our department is on vacation, with only a skeleton crew to keep things going and handle emergencies - real emergencies, not lack-of-planning-emergencies. Officially we still haven't heard anything about any of that, so we've arranged for a bag of popcorn for each person in the department. Monday sure will be fun.

When I poked my head into the boss' office he shrugged and said "%Network Crew% is on vacation. I guessing %school% will have to send people home then.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Maybe you will get lucky and it will turn out to have been an elaborate plot to steal all the assets from the school.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This can only end well! :munch:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Gilok posted:

This has not been my experience

What are your specs?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm back at work.

I'm going to kill myself and staple a note to my chest that says "CNN MADE ME DO THIS."

The reporters use a CNN/AP site to download video of national stories and upload copies of their own stories.

This site uses Java liberally.

This site breaks for days any time you update Java.

This site breaks for days any time you don't update Java.

This site now uses a version of Java not supported by IE8, Firefox, or Chrome, and these computers are still on XP so they're SOL on that front.

I have a hundred tickets waiting for me complaining about not being able to download from CNN.

I have to figure out a solution, which will take time considering the pile of poo poo from last week I've still got to take care of, and I'm getting yelled at by anchors because I didn't sing a rousing number of "A Spoonful of Sugar" while dancing around the newsroom snapping my fingers and having computers fix themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm getting yelled at by anchors because I didn't sing a rousing number of "A Spoonful of Sugar" while dancing around the newsroom snapping my fingers and having computers fix themselves.

Have you tried doing this? While it won't fix anything it might make you feel better.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Have you tried doing this? While it won't fix anything it might make you feel better.
On the other hand, a spoonful of sugar might fix someone's gas tank.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm back at work.

I'm going to kill myself and staple a note to my chest that says "CNN MADE ME DO THIS."

The reporters use a CNN/AP site to download video of national stories and upload copies of their own stories.

This site now uses a version of Java not supported by IE8, Firefox, or Chrome, and these computers are still on XP so they're SOL on that front.

I have a hundred tickets waiting for me complaining about not being able to download from CNN.

I have to figure out a solution, which will take time considering the pile of poo poo from last week I've still got to take care of, and I'm getting yelled at by anchors because I didn't sing a rousing number of "A Spoonful of Sugar" while dancing around the newsroom snapping my fingers and having computers fix themselves.

:D

We have a system that holds video to connect to rundowns and run off a video repository for broadcast. The vendor won't update the java/silverlight crap, and the users are pissed that they are unable to use Chrome anymore. I'm just glad our group got smart and decided to update every computer we can to Win7.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hungry Computer posted:

Can love bloom at the Hell Desk?

A bit late to the reply, but I had an old coworker who would browse his mail order bride accounts while at work and complain to us that the girls he was communicating with would suddenly lose interest when they find out he doesn't have money.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A whiny customer came in.

When they dropped off their machine last week (an HP all-in-one that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard), I noticed something was odd: the 7 key was missing. The rubber contact and scissor-switch was still present, but the button itself was gone. In addition, the wireless mouse was hosed, the left mouse button working only intermittently. Figuring that this was just the way the machine was, I fixed the issues and called them in to pick it up.

Suddenly the missing key is our fault and now we're irresponsible and they want a replacement. Not having the exact replacement in stock, I offer the closest thing: A like-new solar-powered wireless keyboard that retails for about $90. The only issues with it were some light scratches on the side.

Old lady notices the scratches and goes berzerk, saying that we're trying to rip her off. I explain that it's the closest thing I have in stock right now and that I cannot do anything else. She states that she'll take it, but she won't be happy with it, and that she's upset that she needs to learn an entirely new configuration (read: the delete button is slightly smaller) to use her computer. She's going on about how we betrayed her trust and all this that and the other.

gently caress olds.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

A whiny customer came in.

When they dropped off their machine last week (an HP all-in-one that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard), I noticed something was odd: the 7 key was missing. The rubber contact and scissor-switch was still present, but the button itself was gone. In addition, the wireless mouse was hosed, the left mouse button working only intermittently. Figuring that this was just the way the machine was, I fixed the issues and called them in to pick it up.

Suddenly the missing key is our fault and now we're irresponsible and they want a replacement. Not having the exact replacement in stock, I offer the closest thing: A like-new solar-powered wireless keyboard that retails for about $90. The only issues with it were some light scratches on the side.

Old lady notices the scratches and goes berzerk, saying that we're trying to rip her off. I explain that it's the closest thing I have in stock right now and that I cannot do anything else. She states that she'll take it, but she won't be happy with it, and that she's upset that she needs to learn an entirely new configuration (read: the delete button is slightly smaller) to use her computer. She's going on about how we betrayed her trust and all this that and the other.

gently caress olds.

After having been burned by that exact situation before, we have a strict policy about noting damage when a computer is dropped on in our service center. The other thing that people bitch about and we have to be very careful about noting are laptop power adapters.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Fool posted:

After having been burned by that exact situation before, we have a strict policy about noting damage when a computer is dropped on in our service center. The other thing that people bitch about and we have to be very careful about noting are laptop power adapters.

Yeah, I'm writing up a separate disclaimer sheet that people will need to sign. I'm thinking that when we get a computer in, we inspect it first for these issues, then if we find any the customer will need to sign off acknowledging that they exist. It won't cost extra or anything (and if they want it repaired we can certainly do that too) but I'm really annoyed that this lady wants to bitch about recieving $110 in merchandise.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

The Fool posted:

We always take pictures of the PC's condition, powered on, brick, peripherals, and any other goodies before we take the device back from someone.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm back at work.

I mean the right solution is obviously "don't use windows XP" and this is an opportunity to really push getting everyone updated to 7.

That said, have you tried compatibility mode in IE? (does 8 even have that?) We have some Java-based sites here and they freak out about versions, but setting compatibility mode makes them work anyway.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gilok posted:

I mean the right solution is obviously "don't use windows XP" and this is an opportunity to really push getting everyone updated to 7.

Seriously, at this point just disable the boot partition of anyone still using Windows XP. Call it a security update if anyone asks.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Observation: This lady's laptop has a "desktop" shortcut... on her desktop.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Observation: This lady's laptop has a "desktop" shortcut... on her desktop.

I've done this myself... makes it easier to open the desktop folder in a window, instead of having to minimize things.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fromoutofnowhere posted:

We always take pictures of the PC's condition, powered on, brick, peripherals, and any other goodies before we take the device back from someone.

Up until this saturday, our ticket system didn't allow for attaching files/photos. That's changing, and from then on, we will be taking photos.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Gilok posted:

That said, have you tried compatibility mode in IE? (does 8 even have that?) We have some Java-based sites here and they freak out about versions, but setting compatibility mode makes them work anyway.

I was preparing for talks on rolling upgrades to all user computers this next budget year, but then children started erupting from my wife. I'm gonna get back on that, and I've already used this situation as reasoning for exactly why we need to upgrade.

I always forget about compatibility mode, and it may be worth a shot. I think 8 offers something like that. In the meantime, I'm enjoying standing behind an umbrella and watching the poo poo hurdle towards the proverbial fan.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I was preparing for talks on rolling upgrades to all user computers this next budget year, but then children started erupting from my wife.

Sounds like user error

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

but then children started erupting from my wife.

something something too many gangbangs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even biannual visual diagnostics of the wife in question should be able to give you plenty advance warning that progeny ejection is imminent. Honestly the progression of "child" infections is well known at this point so it shouldn't catch you out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

RFC2324 posted:

I've done this myself... makes it easier to open the desktop folder in a window, instead of having to minimize things.
I just keep desktop and [profile] folders pinned in the quick folders section of explorer. Don't need a shortcut.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ilkhan posted:

I just keep desktop and [profile] folders pinned in the quick folders section of explorer. Don't need a shortcut.

Doesn't Win+D or something minimize all windows anyways?

But yeah, pinned folders are the best.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

Doesn't Win+D or something minimize all windows anyways?

But yeah, pinned folders are the best.

Yes, also

Win+r

%userprofile% and %desktop%

Work a treat as well

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

Yes, also

Win+r

%userprofile% and %desktop%

Work a treat as well
If you don't feel like typing out percent signs, here's a bunch more: http://ss64.com/nt/shell.html

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

So, back in May I made a post bitching about some new computers we bought with 8.1->7 downgrades, and how six months later they started popping up errors about counterfeit non-genuine windows software.

After a whole bunch of back and forth with the company that sold us the computers and the licenses, we finally got a solution from them the other day. The solution, according to them, is to do a BIOS update and then do a reinstall of 7 with an OA reinstall disk. This is not a good option for the following reasons: 1) The computers would lose everything and involve a whole bunch of finagling to get all these legacy programs working again, B) My repeated requests for a larger external drive for system images have gone ignored, so I have nowhere to back up the files anyways.

Anyways, long story short: Google saved my rear end again. Apparently, it's a bug due to a faulty update that is easily fixed with a single command prompt entry. Now the two affected computers think they're genuine and I'm just waiting for them to get Win10 tomorrow and be done with the whole mess.

Moral of the story: Sometimes going through the proper channels is a giant pain in the rear end and I hate every vendor my supervisor uses.

Sounds like user error

Clearly, I was opening links I was not supposed to.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 28, 2015

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Today I got told to "speak English" when I asked a user to plug a laptop into a different network drop because the one it was connected to now didn't seem to be live. I don't even know how to simplify "network drop" and "plug in" without getting really condecending and talking about "big phone jacks".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knormal posted:

Today I got told to "speak English" when I asked a user to plug a laptop into a different network drop because the one it was connected to now didn't seem to be live. I don't even know how to simplify "network drop" and "plug in" without getting really condecending and talking about "big phone jacks".

I need you to plug it into a different internet.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Knormal posted:

I use the phrase "like a phone plug but bigger" on a depressingly regular basis.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm just waiting for them to get Win10 tomorrow and be done with the whole mess.

You've got bigger balls than I do. I'm not even updating my personal computer from Win7 for at least a couple months, let alone anything in an environment where other people are going to be running stuff.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Knormal posted:

I think "network drop" may not be common usage in a lot of places, at least outside of network guys. I use "network jack" or even "ethernet port" and old ladies seem to vaguely know what I mean.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

You've got bigger balls than I do. I'm not even updating my personal computer from Win7 for at least a couple months, let alone anything in an environment where other people are going to be running stuff.

...not just stuff, but legacy stuff that doesn't work on windows 8, it appears. :suspense:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Knormal posted:

It is the "internet hole"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A birthday card came in, from the office:

a user posted:

I almost submitted a ticket to wish you happy birthday, but then I thought....maybe not. :) Cheers!

:3:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Personal desktop has been on 10 previews for months, personal laptop will get a clean install of it tomorrow.

I think we're planning on starting to switch our users to 10 in Nov/Dec timeframe.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

Nerdrock posted:

...not just stuff, but legacy stuff that doesn't work on windows 8, it appears. :suspense:

I've been running it on a tester since the tech preview came out and with a bit of finagling, pretty much everything we use actually runs BETTER on 10 than it does on XP. The one big legacy app we run (AP ENPS) just requires a bit of registry tweaking to disable its Windows version checking at startup. Considering this will be the only PC in circulation that will be using that program, and its going to a pretty innocuous department, I'm gonna take the opportunity to use it as a guinea pig of sorts.

As an aside, I really like it, personally. I've been running the tech preview on my daily carry for a while and I can't imagine having to go back to 7 or 8.1. The only issue I foresee is that the start menu isn't very intuitive, but easy enough to get used to. 90% of my users won't click on anything that isn't on the desktop anyways, so they don't even use the start menu in XP.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sirotan posted:

A birthday card came in, from the office:

:3:

You should request a ticket anyways just so you can close it, because :byodood: METRICS :byodood:

larchesdanrew posted:

As an aside, I really like it, personally. I've been running the tech preview on my daily carry for a while and I can't imagine having to go back to 7 or 8.1. The only issue I foresee is that the start menu isn't very intuitive, but easy enough to get used to. 90% of my users won't click on anything that isn't on the desktop anyways, so they don't even use the start menu in XP.

I'd probably upgrade if I was still using Win as my day-to-day, but since that box has pretty much been relegated to "gaming duties only", I'm really just waiting for all the horror stories about Nvidia drivers on a new OS to wax and wane before committing to an upgrade.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
A ticket didn't come in, or at least not as many. The last few months the ticket load for my team has been really light. It has been nice to be able to catch up on vendor training and mandatory corporate training (well, not nice, but nothing blowing up while you go through it). My colleague on the other hand has the exact opposite situation. His team supports a similar product from a different vendor. In the month of June his team had 97 tickets, and mine had 32. That is new tickets. Both of our teams have stuff waiting for patches and upgrades, so the tickets stay open until that happens. I know that does not seem like a lot, but by the time it gets to me it has gone through the customers IT department, then to the tier 2 team, and then to my team. Getting updates from the vendor is like pulling teeth sometimes.

Glad that my boss understands that and will go to bat for us every time a ticket drags out when it is clearly the vendor is at fault for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A ticket came in.

The laptop that sports uses to edit media in the field has an issue.

[Summary]: Laptop issue
[Description]: the computer will not turn on. Error page keeps coming up
[Comment]: This needs to be resolved

Oh, hell no :nyd:

Aside from the passive-aggressive comment, nothing seems to be wrong with the computer except that they somehow deleted the local account and set up a microsoft account using one of their personal emails and no one knows the password. They're also using WeTransfer instead of our dedicated FTP for whatever dumb reason and the stupid thing is crawling with viruses.

Mere minutes after submitting the ticket, the guy came back crawling my rear end about how they need it fixed by tomorrow morning. Sorry, rear end in a top hat, dropping off something that you've been abusing the hell out of at 4:00 and with an attitude to boot is not proper procedure.

Eat a million dicks, sports reporters. I'm taking my sweet time with this one.

• Locked thread