Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Panty Saluter posted:

Just a-starin' straight ahead, supercar idling down the highway at 45-50 MPH.

He's doing a public service: how else would everybody get a chance to bask in the glory of his car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Scruff McGruff posted:

Because olds have nothing better to do than vote and will crush any politician that comes after them. Also, the AARP will also crush any politician that comes after them. Basically trying to pass legislation like that would be a political death sentence.

Also, it's not like legislators aren't all olds with bad driving records themselves.

Chappaquiddick.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Uthor posted:

He's doing a public service: how else would everybody get a chance to bask in the glory of his car?

Im not entirely sure he knew what he was even driving :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Look on the bright side, he could have done what every other guy his age does and buy a Corvette to drive 20mph under the limit, so at least he's doing you the service of giving you something a little bit rare to look at?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Look on the bright side, he could have done what every other guy his age does and buy a Corvette to drive 20mph under the limit, so at least he's doing you the service of giving you something a little bit rare to look at?

I drove to Watkins Glen last month for the TUSC race in a nice RS7 that Audi lent me. About half an hour from the track, we came upon a trio of Corvettes—2 C7 Z06s and a C6 Z06, all driven by old dudes (at least 60+). They resolutely refused to play, instead choosing to simply cruise a little under the speed limit. My wife and I both thought that was pretty lame of them to not at least speed up a little bit. However, I was fortunate enough to spend most of this week with a 2015 Z06, and I now understand why the alter kockers were driving the way they did. I'm glad; old people don't need to be in charge of 650bhp!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I'm glad; old people don't need to be in charge of 650bhp!

Most people in general don't. I wish everyone except for me was stuck driving something with the power of a PT Cruiser.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

DiggityDoink posted:

Most people in general don't. I wish everyone except for me was stuck driving something with the power of a PT Cruiser.

My coworkers gf's dad who runs a smallspeed shop, bought her a Chrysler 200c and then apparently detuned the ecu so it barley gets up to sixty. frankly I feel like its an unsafe amount of no power but there you go..

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DiggityDoink posted:

I believe you're mistaken, I'm the only good driver on the road.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Saw this abomination while stopped at a light:

http://imgur.com/a/gZ2Uk

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

GOD IS BED posted:

Saw this abomination while stopped at a light:

http://imgur.com/a/gZ2Uk

I love that that thing is still rolling around

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What a delightfully festive Magnum!!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Midniter posted:

You would think the pink would be on the lower half...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I just paid 80 USD for a used replacement window switch because a new one is 200+. This is on a car that is known to have fragile switches. Hopefully the "new" one isn't just as broken as the old one. gently caress you Honda for not using the same switches across eight different models, like you do with literally loving everything else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Midniter posted:

Looks like a car I made in Saints Row 4.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Panty Saluter posted:

I just paid 80 USD for a used replacement window switch because a new one is 200+. This is on a car that is known to have fragile switches. Hopefully the "new" one isn't just as broken as the old one. gently caress you Honda for not using the same switches across eight different models, like you do with literally loving everything else.

Does the switch also give you a handie when you actuate it? Why the gently caress is it $200?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MrYenko posted:

Does the switch also give you a handie when you actuate it? Why the gently caress is it $200?

Because ~*~my bespoke electronic parts~*~, on a 17 year old vehicle no less. Of course this is like the one thing Honda uses a different part on almost every car. If I just wanted to create a totally new power train I could mix and match parts from six different models with surprisingly little effort. Replace the master window switch? Hahahahaahahfuckyou.

If I had an Accord they are common enough that you can buy new units for almost nothing from a 3rd party manufacturer. However I have an Integra and as popular as they ever were there are very few left now so no one wants to make generic replacements for them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Complain to Dorman's "suggest a part" page. The poor bastard whose email they give you is probably looking forward to actually getting something that is reasonable and actionable for a change as opposed to my complaints that they should remake every bespoke Miata piece they can find.

Plus, if you pretend to be a shop, you can win money.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Does this count? I don't know what I'm looking at here.

e: Apparently image posting on the app is different.

VVVV Yeah, I've seen those plate readers on Crown Vics and Chargers, but this setup is alien to me. The camera angles look too high to get good shots at any normal-height plates, too.

Faster Blaster fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 28, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It looks like a government van with some sort of LIDAR on top, maybe some kind of mobile laser speed detector in transit? Also, fix your link.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Probably a mobile plate scanner, they use them here in Ontario to check for stolen plates, expired, or otherwise not legal plates

It basically scans every car as it goes by and pings when it detects a problem

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Too big for license plate scanning, those are tiny things they can slap on every squad car. From the camera and lidar orientations it looks like some sort of road/driving environment mapping platform.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Roseo posted:

Too big for license plate scanning, those are tiny things they can slap on every squad car. From the camera and lidar orientations it looks like some sort of road/driving environment mapping platform.

Depends I guess, they started out like this

And are now down to about this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sappo569 posted:

Depends I guess, they started out like this

And are now down to about this

Yup, license plate scanning.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
I've only ever seen these:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Faster Blaster posted:

Does this count? I don't know what I'm looking at here.

e: Apparently image posting on the app is different.

VVVV Yeah, I've seen those plate readers on Crown Vics and Chargers, but this setup is alien to me. The camera angles look to high to get good shots at any normal-height plates, too.

Phone number on the back is for the Georgia Dept of Transportation. Looks to me like some sort of road geometry/measurement vehicle. Especially since there are well-marked lasers that are aimed straight down at the road, rather than as some sort of LIDAR speed gun.

This was years ago, but a friend of mine in elementary school used to tape episodes of cartoons he liked on extra-extra-extra long play VHS tapes his dad got as surplus at his job with the state DOT. The original recordings were of a camera kind of angled like the one on the front of that van, just hours and hours of pavement condition and a timecode. (The original recording would bleed thru sometimes, if you remember how poo poo VHS was). I'm firmly betting it's a more modern version of that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bennyfactor posted:

Phone number on the back is for the Georgia Dept of Transportation. Looks to me like some sort of road geometry/measurement vehicle. Especially since there are well-marked lasers that are aimed straight down at the road, rather than as some sort of LIDAR speed gun.

This was years ago, but a friend of mine in elementary school used to tape episodes of cartoons he liked on extra-extra-extra long play VHS tapes his dad got as surplus at his job with the state DOT. The original recordings were of a camera kind of angled like the one on the front of that van, just hours and hours of pavement condition and a timecode. (The original recording would bleed thru sometimes, if you remember how poo poo VHS was). I'm firmly betting it's a more modern version of that.

I saw a truck with a rig like that in Chicago once, but what surprised me was the huge number of lights hanging off the back of the truck pointed at the roadway.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
If it's like the ones here it's to record people driving stupidly around semi trucks. Usually they are tailgating a semi though.

The cameras/lasers point down, maybe some kind of rolling road inspector?

FatCow fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 29, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

FatCow posted:

It's most definitely this. The LIDAR pointing straight down and a nice GPS antenna on the front of the rack is the giveaway. I'd guess they are mapping out stuff like lane markings (which can be picked up by LIDAR!) actual road width/curbs, potholes, things like that.

I have to say I've never seen a LIDAR like that though. Looks like they repurposed some industrial single plane thing and enclosed it.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 29, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Structural patina.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

FatCow posted:

The shot is from the main interstate through Atlanta and GDOT's about on schedule to start planning to resurface the connector again, so the road inspection is my guess.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

Iridium posted:

The shot is from the main interstate through Atlanta and GDOT's about on schedule to start planning to resurface the connector again, so the road inspection is my guess.

Hahaha, perfect. I'll have moved away by the time they start work, and by the time I'm ready to come back for a visit, the interstates should be nice and smooth again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJLAq8vGGc

I try my best to not get too wrapped up in YouTube comments, but :lol: and also :smith: for some stupid ad campaign? I don't know but the message is lost on me. I think it has something to do with eating disorders ruining something potentially beautiful.

I was first alerted to this via jalopnik

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Frinkahedron posted:

It's most definitely this. The LIDAR pointing straight down and a nice GPS antenna on the front of the rack is the giveaway. I'd guess they are mapping out stuff like lane markings (which can be picked up by LIDAR!) actual road width/curbs, potholes, things like that.

I have to say I've never seen a LIDAR like that though. Looks like they repurposed some industrial single plane thing and enclosed it.

Hey cool, looks like a Riegl Q20 or Z210ii

If its either of those models its most likely exactly what its doing, We call it a road surface profile, you can also measure curb lines and certain lane makings or wear depending on the lidar model.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I try my best to not get too wrapped up in YouTube comments, but :lol: and also :smith: for some stupid ad campaign? I don't know but the message is lost on me. I think it has something to do with eating disorders ruining something potentially beautiful.

'Art'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:wtc:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
"2015 Jetta TDi 7k Stg 2 320ft lbs 260bhp"

I recently traded in my 2003 track Corvette for a TDI, but I'm single with no wife, kids, etc. I just stage 2 upgraded the ECU, but its just not for me. Car puts 320ftlb and 260hp with 45mpg! 10% better than factory!

I am selling out to buy another Corvette to continue track driving. Sticker was 26.5, I will take BRO.. Great opportunity for a family man! Stage 2 was 1200! 3m tint was 500 and weathertech cargo liners 300!

Warranty covers to 36k

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

2015 Jetta TDi 7k Stg 2 320ft lbs 260bhp posted:

I recently traded in my 2003 track Corvette for a TDI, but I'm single with no wife, kids, etc. I just stage 2 upgraded the ECU, but its just not for me. Car puts 320ftlb and 260hp with 45mpg! 10% better than factory!

I am selling out to buy another Corvette to continue track driving. Sticker was 26.5, I will take BRO.. Great opportunity for a family man! Stage 2 was 1200! 3m tint was 500 and weathertech cargo liners 300!

Warranty covers to 36k

That's it, the entirety of the ad.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 29, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

That's it, the entirety of the ad.

Should've just been shorted to "I make poor purchase decisions, buy my car"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Should've just been shorted to "I make poor purchase decisions, buy my car"

then it would be literally every enthusiast car ad ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Those bastards... seriously, that's one less (what looked to be in pretty mind condition) vintage 911.