Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It is TYOOL 2015 and I'm waiting on announcements to decide between an LG or a Huawei. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Tunga posted:

The display types for the X Play and G were not stated and do not appear on the website, as far as I can see. The X Style is "IPS LCD".

That'll be the deciding factor for me. The only thing the Play is missing for me is the fingerprint scanner and Qi. Aside from that, (and being a little bit big), it's the perfect phone as far as specs go.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Am I the only one considering picking up a Moto G as just a second phone for working out/going to the pool just a use and abuse phone? The water resistance seems to play into that idea.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Three Olives posted:

Am I the only one considering picking up a Moto G as just a second phone for working out/going to the pool just a use and abuse phone? The water resistance seems to play into that idea.

I'm definitely not considering purchasing a second phone for going to the pool, lol

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems like maybe they've just dumped the on-screen notifications thing entirely. It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One of the speakers did mention waving your hand over the phone for information, and I don't see how that would happen without that part. Although maybe it won't "breathe" any more.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Why would they take out one of the best aspects of their software? :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

One was patched by Google in April (meaning fuckall for people getting samsung'd or huawei'd)
Was it? I must not have reading closely enough, because all I saw was the guy saying that Google accepted his patches, not word from Google that it was rolled out. Any news from Google?

FAUXTON posted:

the other doesn't seem to have stopped sending iPhones into bootloops since late May
Those folks should update their devices since it was patched about a month or so ago.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 28, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/28/moto-x-pure-edition-2015-first-impressions-and-tour/

The Moto X Style, which will just be the Moto X Pure Edition in the US, will have all previous Moto X features.

quote:

While the phone won’t be out until September, we spent a good amount of time with it this morning. We walked through all of the Moto features, like Voice, Display, Assist, and Actions. Yep, they are all in the “Pure Edition,” even though others are incorrectly reporting that Motorola has stripped that out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm glad to see Moto isn't changing course dramatically after the Lenovo acquisition. Moto X Pure/Style looks pretty solid on paper.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Moto X seems like an updated Nexus 5 basically so it's not that bad tbh.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Cable posted:

How so? I'm still debating between the Style and the Oneplus 2. The only thing I was expecting from MotoX was to be smaller, but since that isn't the case, I might as well go for the fingerprint sensor and (already proven) decent camera.

What RVP said. OnePlus hasn't done a thing to earn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to hardware quality or warranty support. And on top of that it is running a new OS. Moto's version of Android takes stock and adds things that work well and are useful.

OnePlus needed a massive hardware and price advantage to be compelling. It has neither.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Still giggling about OnePlus. "No one uses NFC so we are stripping it out...by the way here is a Type-C connector"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm glad to see Moto isn't changing course dramatically after the Lenovo acquisition. Moto X Pure/Style looks pretty solid on paper.

Agreed with this.

I feel like I'm just going to have to accept hugephones and suffer in silence (lol, no i wont suffer in silence, everyone will know how much I hate it).

Here's hoping the camera turns out to be as good as they say it is.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Moto X Style/Pure Edition looks good but I'll wait for reviews before getting one.

As much as I love my X2, the camera is OK at best and the battery means I might as well be married to my charger, so I'll either get the new Moto X, whatever Nexus comes out, or wait for a price drop on the G4 or the S6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

drat, I was really hoping the new Moto Xs would have wireless charging :(

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Thermopyle posted:

Agreed with this.

I feel like I'm just going to have to accept hugephones and suffer in silence (lol, no i wont suffer in silence, everyone will know how much I hate it).

Isn't it a little too soon to be determining how much impact lenovo is going to have here? Closing the deal in Oct would mean this phone was probably already in the pipeline.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat, I was really hoping the new Moto Xs would have wireless charging, usb type c, and a 5 inch option :(

This is me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Agreed with this.

You and the physical keyboard crew can start a support group.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incoherent posted:

This is me.

I honestly don't care that much about USB-C even though it's cool, I never hookup my phone to USB. And I have a Nexus 6 so am pro-big screen. Wireless charging is the dealbreaker for me :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ssjonizuka posted:

Isn't it a little too soon to be determining how much impact lenovo is going to have here? Closing the deal in Oct would mean this phone was probably already in the pipeline.

Lenovo could have killed it if they thought it went totally against what they wanted to do. They didn't. So we get a good phone. Who knows what will happen when the devices fully developed under the Lenovo regime come out, but I'm glad Lenovo didn't force a 180.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Thermopyle posted:

Lenovo could have killed it if they thought it went totally against what they wanted to do. They didn't. So we get a good phone. Who knows what will happen when the devices fully developed under the Lenovo regime come out, but I'm glad Lenovo didn't force a 180.

I can get behind that. I think my next will be the Style, but I'll want to get hands on time to see how it really feels before making the jump. Price is certainly right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Looks like they also didn't force a 360!!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Err, the OnePlus Two is using a Snapdragon 810? Did they get the overheating issues fixed?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

grack posted:

Err, the OnePlus Two is using a Snapdragon 810? Did they get the overheating issues fixed?

Nope

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

They claimed it was a newer version of the 810 that was much cooler. Then we found out that pretty much every 810 released so far is 'version 2' and the laughing began anew

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

grack posted:

MKBHD says it still gets hot a bit. Something like 110 F or something I don't know. OnePlus probably underclocked the hell out of it.

Also it should be telling if Motorola didn't even go with the 810 on their flagship. It's just not a good thing at all the 810.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well it's good of OnePlus to let everyone know that the hardware is poo poo upfront instead of waiting until after it shipped.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Ordered my Moto G in all black with champagne accent. Even sprung for the 2GB/16GB model. What was kind of the tipping point for me was reading that it could be waterproof for 30 minutes under a meter of water and the Note 4 is not. I work as a baker, and the scenario of, like, what if my phone fell into a huge batch of cake batter? With the Moto G I could just fish it out and rinse it off in the sink. If that happened to my Note 4, it's more like, lmao, gently caress your $800 phone.

Also, apparently it has the same camera as the Nexus 6, and that's pretty cool.

edit: oh and I could not give less of a poo poo about NFC or wireless charging I don't think I've ever used either in my entire life.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 28, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Maybe the 810 will get so hot it will melt whatever lovely cheap glue OP used in their phone to secure something

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I bought a Vu with my S6 thinking wireless charging would be the absolute poo poo and it's neat and all but quick charging is sooooooo much better imo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Was it? I must not have reading closely enough, because all I saw was the guy saying that Google accepted his patches, not word from Google that it was rolled out. I'm glad something's been pushed then.

Those folks should update their devices since it was patched about a month or so ago.

quote:

A Google spokeswoman said that those intermediaries are armed with the patches they need to safeguard devices, though she did not offer specifics on which were ready to push those changes through, or when that might happen.

"The security of Android users is extremely important to us and so we responded quickly and patches have already been provided to partners that can be applied to any device," the Google spokeswoman said. "Most Android devices, including all newer devices, have multiple technologies that are designed to make exploitation more difficult. Android devices also include an application sandbox designed to protect user data and other applications on the device."

That's from a CNet article on the stagefright vulnerability. Again, it means fuckall for turbos and galaxies but they've patched it and sent it to the OEMs, who then send it to carriers, so on and so forth, until the autistic playground starys singing together.

As for iOS 8.4, I'll admit I just assumed that the reports of the return of the wireless problems with the update were ongoing reports of the SMS vulnerability, as they're all just saying poo poo like "crippling bug" and tech news websites are poo poo.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Skeezy posted:

I bought a Vu with my S6 thinking wireless charging would be the absolute poo poo and it's neat and all but quick charging is sooooooo much better imo.

The next version of Qi wireless charging will support QuickCharging. We are on the verge of a glorious new age.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

The next version of Qi wireless charging will support QuickCharging. We are on the verge of a glorious new age.

Oh word for real? Okay that I'd be more interested in.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ilkhan posted:

No wireless charging or USB-C would get it crossed off my li [verge liveblog updates]...$399. ok, maybe not.

incoherent posted:

This is me.

Why do we care about USB Type-C at this point, exactly? I understand that it's undoubtedly the future connector everything will use, but since only a couple devices actually have the connector currently what good does it do you other than giving you a need to go buy USB-A to USB-C connectors for every charger you might come in contact with? Honest question, I feel like I'm missing something.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does the new Moto G have quick charging?

My 2013 moto x battery life is absolute poo poo, so I might get a G until the new nexus comes out.

Edit: Is the G not included in the universal banding? (Verizon) :(

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 28, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hell, my Z3 is awesome and I still want a new G

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Why do we care about USB Type-C at this point, exactly? I understand that it's undoubtedly the future connector everything will use, but since only a couple devices actually have the connector currently what good does it do you other than giving you a need to go buy USB-A to USB-C connectors for every charger you might come in contact with? Honest question, I feel like I'm missing something.

Honestly, I care more about USB-C since it doesn't have wireless charging because plugs you can insert only one direction SUUUUCK. I don't care what probability tells me, I know I have a 100% chance of picking the wrong orientation the first attempt, and then another 100% chance of it being wrong the 2nd attempt only to come back to the first way and have it work. That's a law of USB plugs, it's immutable and universal.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If nothing else, the reversible plug makes USB-C look ten steps ahead.

Also, the only way for it to be a popular standard going forward is for it to start working into products now. Considering Google basically all but flat-out said at I/O the next Nexus will have USB-C and a fingerprint reader (given they don't say "Android will support this stuff" without also having a hardware reference implementation), it's going to be table stakes for Android phones within a year or so.

I'd be curious too when Apple decides to ditch Lightning in favor of USB-C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The more devices that come out with usb-c plugs, the quicker this glorious all-encompassing standard will be adopted.