Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Namtab posted:

Hot babe is going out, puts on a sexy dress, is now no longer a person (Lord justice, 2015)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rip, to the personhood of all ten million kill la kill cosplayers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Namtab posted:

Hot babe is going out, puts on a sexy dress

Tuned out after that bit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

rip, to the personhood of all ten million kill la kill cosplayers

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Endorph, if you're going to quote me, at least quote my entire post when it's relevant, thank you:

Lord Justice posted:

The answer is implicit in the definition, sexualization of women is the objectification of women, it turns them into objects and dehumanizes them. Within an artistic work, this means that a female character is delegitimized as a character. Note that this is a different from a female character expressing her sexuality, which is fine in a general sense, I just don't like its presence in Madoka.

I've been quite clear that my definition of sexualization is a narrow one focused only on the objectification of women. The expression of sexuality within a work by a female character is different and perfectly fine. Does Demon Homura's outfit fall into category? This is kind of the issue, to me the issue feels blurred, and it's hard to separate the character's motivation with the outside influence on Aoki. More to the point, my opinion has always been such that Madoka keep away from sexual themes, as I don't believe the work needs it, and this has been my principle argument against Demon Homura's outfit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

I've been quite clear that my definition of sexualization is a narrow one focused only on the objectification of women.
trust me, we're well aware

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

I've been quite clear that my definition of sexualization is a narrow one focused only on the objectification of women. The expression of sexuality within a work by a female character is different and perfectly fine. Does Demon Homura's outfit fall into category? This is kind of the issue, to me the issue feels blurred, and it's hard to separate the character's motivation with the outside influence on Aoki. More to the point, my opinion has always been such that Madoka keep away from sexual themes, as I don't believe the work needs it, and this has been my principle argument against Demon Homura's outfit.

You're an idiot tho, because

Namtab posted:

Ultimately, homuras dress is really tame for anime and fits the shows usual allegories of puberty and love perfectly. Homura has abandoned her usual conservative look in order to express her love towards meguka.

Design wise, it's called "contrast"

she's not being sexualised, she's expressing an element of sexuality

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You're being kinda creepy, as tho the fact you can see her collarbone means that she's become an unperson

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

More to the point while I accept every interpretation of a thing is potentially valid, when everyone is saying you're being weird, creepy and obsessive it may be time to reexamine things, perhaps watch it a 17th time

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

I've been quite clear that my definition of sexualization is a narrow one focused only on the objectification of women.

Yes, that's why we make fun of it!

On a more serious note: you don't loving get to define your (common, widely known) terms after the fact, that's just weak.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 28, 2015

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I don't believe Madoka is inspired by Doctor Faust rather Emile Zola's Nana. Wherein French peasants believe you can cure flatulence by leaving a glass of water overnight and letting it suck up the moonbeams and then drinking it. Moonbeams cure flatulence. Homura is symbolically connected to the moon, evidenced by the moon at the en d of Rebellion, Madoka is the sun because of her godhood. Homura's ultimate goal is to use the power of the moon to cure Madoka of her intense farts. Walpurgis Night is a metaphor for the night they had bean casserole for dinner. By taking away her right to unpleasant human functions Homura is sexually objectifying her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and for real though dude, this is a hell of your own making.

if you'd just said 'i can see what they were going for with devil homura's design but i dont really care for it, it feels a little cheesecake' nobody would have given a poo poo, but instead you typed so many goddamn words that you just started saying weird, creepy poo poo because when you type so many words about something you so clearly barely understand you're bound to stumble into something stupid.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

Real talk though Lord justice, using all these big words don't actually make the content of your posts smarter, you just look pretentious

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Namtab posted:

You're being kinda creepy, as tho the fact you can see her collarbone means that she's become an unperson

You're extrapolating my argument to an extreme I never actually said or intended. Is Homura no longer a person because of the dress? No, obviously not. Sexualization is never a critique of the character, it is a critique on the person who created the character. What is Ume Aoki saying with this design, what are its origins, etc? There are legitimate reasons for its creation, yes, and I'm not disputing those. My argument is the sexualized aspect of it is speech from a bad source.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

My argument is the sexualized aspect of it is speech from a bad source.

Speech from a bad source?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

ume aoki made a boob joke once so clearly she is the most debauched pervert to ever live

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Boobs are no joke

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ultimately though lord justice, the principle for your argument is that madoka is inexplicably inherantly above having anything sexy at all, despite several posters saying:

1.) No it isn't, why would it be?
2.) The reason behind the design choice and how it reflects on the story and theme
3.) It's not even that sexy

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

When I first saw Demon Homura's new outfit I thought it was silly. But all of these posts have made me conclude that it is actually sexy as hell.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Like tbh we can only go so many rounds of Lord Justice repeating himself and everyone saying he's being silly about Homura's bare shoulders before we're at an impasse

cake song best song

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

What is Ume Aoki saying with this design, what are its origins, etc?

Serious answer: that Homura is the anti-madoka (or her opposite, you get the idea). You can dig deeper into it, but that's basically it. All the motifs and details do add to it and you can analyze the poo poo out of them if you wish but, in the end, it is neither complicated or profound.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 28, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lestaki posted:

Like tbh we can only go so many rounds of Lord Justice repeating himself and everyone saying he's being silly about Homura's bare shoulders before we're at an impasse

cake song best song

I broke wicked hate in the mahouka thread, and I can break lord justice

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

I broke wicked hate in the mahouka thread, and I can break lord justice

I will follow you

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab's willpower is unbreakable, so I'll believe in him.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Srice posted:

Namtab's willpower is unbreakable, so I'll believe in him.

Namtab's Bizarre Adventure: Namtab is Unbreakable

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Namtab posted:

The influence of patriarchal society and how it approaches women. Which is admittedly minor in this case, but I still feel it's there and why I'm critical of it.

Lestaki posted:

Pretty much this. I will admit my argument is subjective, and a lot of it is due less to the sexualized aspect of the outfit and more I just don't like it, and I don't like my favourite character wearing it. Is there good reasons for it to exist? Yes, Space Flower was quite on-point. Is Homura expressing her sexuality within the context of the narrative? Yes, I just wish she wasn't because I'd rather Madoka not use those themes. I've gone into the sexualization argument enough and it's clear it's not going anywhere, so I'll stop here.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I put a lot of thought into my theory please take it seriously

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Let me see, madoka the seemingly weak-willed girl who embodies selfless love becomes a goddess wearing a cute white dress with full angel wings. While hormura, the seemingly strong-willed girl who embodies selfish love* becomes a demon wearing a sexy-ish black dress with fake angel wings.

I think there may be a connection between the two but I can't see it.

*That may not be the proper term. please don't kill me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

Pretty much this. I will admit my argument is subjective, and a lot of it is due less to the sexualized aspect of the outfit and more I just don't like it, and I don't like my favourite character wearing it. Is there good reasons for it to exist? Yes, Space Flower was quite on-point. Is Homura expressing her sexuality within the context of the narrative? Yes, I just wish she wasn't because I'd rather Madoka not use those themes. I've gone into the sexualization argument enough and it's clear it's not going anywhere, so I'll stop here.

I've pretty much just been calling out for you to admit this rather than trying to claim that madoka is high art somehow inherantly above any sexualisation.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also to post normally instead of writing pretentious essays, but I'll accept this victory

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Congrats Namtab. I am impressed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

The influence of patriarchal society and how it approaches women. Which is admittedly minor in this case, but I still feel it's there and why I'm critical of it.
patriarchal western society, as embodied by a gay japanese lady

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

trucutru posted:

Let me see, madoka the seemingly weak-willed girl who embodies selfless love becomes a goddess wearing a cute white dress with full angel wings. While hormura, the seemingly strong-willed girl who embodies selfish love becomes a demon wearing a sexy-ish black dress with fake angel wings.

Godoka and Demon Homura are the exact same thing and Godoka is arguably far more evil than Demon Homura is. The creation of a Demon is predicated on selfish love for another, which is quite evident with Madoka and her love for all Magical Girls at the expense of said girls and everyone around them. Godoka believes that Sayaka's death was a good thing, that Kyousuke's hand was worth Sayaka no longer existing in the world. She does this with full knowledge of how Sayaka's death affects the world (see: Sayaka's funeral, or the issues of her apparent suicide in regards to Hitomi and Kyousuke). Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if Hitomi blamed herself for Sayaka dying, and I doubt Kyousuke would agree that his hand was worth Sayaka's life. Demon Homura, in contrast, gives Sayaka her life back, and repairs the problems between the three. In a sense, taking Sayaka's knowledge was necessary, as she was blinded by Madoka's toxic idealism and seemed perfectly fine with sacrificing herself even if said action hurt everyone around her.

Now, extrapolate, to hundreds of thousands to millions of Magical Girls, and you'll get similar scenarios for each and Godoka saying it is ok for this to exist. Nothing Demon Homura did compares to that, and really, what Demon Homura did was a far better solution to Madoka's attempt.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 28, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

patriarchal western society, as embodied by a gay japanese lady

loving gaijins infiltrate everything

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
It's like yeah if that's just your preference then I find it kind of silly but whatever, it's all good. Personally I think Homura is best girl and I'm happy to see her expressing herself in new ways after an indeterminate amount of time spent time travelling and trying to be some kind of stoic beep boop Madoka-saving/world-protecting robot (without much success because she's a teenage girl). Now she has a silly dress and she dances and she's still miserable but at least she's changing and has the potential to grow again.

I also agree that an interesting part of the movie is that Homura produces a superficially superior world (Madoka is with her friends/family and the Law of Cycles is protected from the Incubators by Homura) for pretty lousy reasons.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

trucutru posted:

Let me see, madoka the seemingly weak-willed girl who embodies selfless love becomes a goddess wearing a cute white dress with full angel wings. While hormura, the seemingly strong-willed girl who embodies selfish love* becomes a demon wearing a sexy-ish black dress with fake angel wings.

*That may not be the proper term. please don't kill me

Hey remember how Princess Tutu has literally this same motif with Tutu and Kraehe, just to name one other example in Madoka's genre, probably because implying contrast through visual design and character expression in this manner is a tried and true storytelling convention and Madoka Magica is not any different in this manner.

This whole hoopla about Homura's sexuality and what it means just confuses me because the answer is right there front and center.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kyouko is my fave

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Remember the ep where she ate the food?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Namtab posted:

Remember the ep where she ate the food?

lewd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

Godoka and Demon Homura are the exact same thing and Godoka is arguely far more evil than Demon Homura is.

Indeed, and you'll find that 99% of the people who have seen this show disagree with you.

I think that's all I have to say about that.

• Locked thread