Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I hope they wear the brown and we wear orange in the season opener. gently caress generic away whites.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Sash! posted:

Akron has an actual blimp hangar. It caught on fire a few years ago.

They had a literal burning tire fire back in the day

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I hope they wear the brown and we wear orange in the season opener. gently caress generic away whites.

Our white/white uniform was actually pretty sharp the last couple years.

E: they may also just go white/white if Tennessee is in their oranges because it's going to be hot as balls

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They had a literal burning tire fire back in the day

you can still smell it, too

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

We don't all get what we want. If he doesn't produce in the Win column this year and turn around recruiting a bit more it won't matter.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 28, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

you can still smell it, too

That's just Ohio

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Agreed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Didn't either the NCAA or Pac12 say they'd charge the away team one timeout per half when they did that, and I think they've had a gentlemen's agreement for the home team to burn one immediately?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

DJExile posted:

Didn't either the NCAA or Pac12 say they'd charge the away team one timeout per half when they did that, and I think they've had a gentlemen's agreement for the home team to burn one immediately?

Yep

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That rules. I could see the conference (I think it was them, not the NCAA as a whole) having an "away team must wear neutral colors" rule for things like a Utah/Stanford game, but come on now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yeah this is the best thing. All rivalries should follow suit.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

CaneSport ‏@CaneSport 6h6 hours ago
Golden has shown he can handle abt anything but advance man Sebastian has requested no more ? Abt 3 or 4 man fronts in goal line situations

Golden has literally asked the media to stop asking questions about his dumb rear end defense.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dilber posted:

CaneSport ‏@CaneSport 6h6 hours ago
Golden has shown he can handle abt anything but advance man Sebastian has requested no more ? Abt 3 or 4 man fronts in goal line situations

Golden has literally asked the media to stop asking questions about his dumb rear end defense.

It's a terrifying thought, but Lane Kiffin will be your head coach in 2016. He's a perfect fit, great recruiter, etc.

You guys will win like 2 or 3 titles, then be left a smoldering crater by the NCAA by '20.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LeeMajors posted:

It's a terrifying thought, but Lane Kiffin will be your head coach in 2016. He's a perfect fit, great recruiter, etc.

You guys will win like 2 or 3 titles, then be left a smoldering crater by the NCAA by '20.

Lane Kiffin is a solid coach of offense, and a killer recruiter. I think with some seasoning under Saban on how to actually run a program and be a different kind of rear end to his employers and the media he'll be a drat fine HC again in not that long.

But I've been a Kiffin apologist on here for a while now. I personally don't want Miami to hire him because you're right with the local talent he'd light it up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Kiffin to Miami would be the most Kiffin thing ever.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Kiffin is going to Tennessee after Butch has another crap season

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Lane Kiffin is a solid coach of offense, and a killer recruiter. I think with some seasoning under Saban on how to actually run a program and be a different kind of rear end to his employers and the media he'll be a drat fine HC again in not that long.

But I've been a Kiffin apologist on here for a while now. I personally don't want Miami to hire him because you're right with the local talent he'd light it up.

Not to mention he's a perfect fit for South Florida. It's a scary thought really.

He's fallen upwards a lot, but he really is a pretty smart dude and he's done well under Saban. I shudder to think what he could do if he learns his place and learns to delegate a bit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lane Kiffin is a very good assistant coach but it will really funny if he gets yet another marquee job so soon.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I could see Lane turning into a good head coach. Even if he does, how he left Tennessee and how he got fired from USC are super hilarious

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Reminder that this time last year everyone here except like three people were laughing at Alabama for hiring him (or in the case of Alabama fans lamenting the hire).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Reminder that this time last year everyone here except like three people were laughing at Alabama for hiring him (or in the case of Alabama fans lamenting the hire).

I still am.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

I would take lane kiffin over al and miami being a crater is something I am used to.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Alabama has never won a post season game with Lane on their staff

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I could see Lane turning into a good head coach. Even if he does, how he left Tennessee and how he got fired from USC are super hilarious

Yeah if Lane can mature and keep himself out of the papers for all the wrong reasons, he could be a solid HC down the line.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Spintzel posted:

Alabama has never won a post season game with Lane on their staff

The SEC title game is, technically, post-season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I guess the NCAA needs their version of Norv Turner/Wade Phillips. Sometimes people are just good assistants and that is okay!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I guess the NCAA needs their version of Norv Turner/Wade Phillips. Sometimes people are just good assistants and that is okay!

My contention is, he hasn't shown himself to be a "Great Coordinator."

I mean, look at the talent on the teams he was coaching. A trained monkey could win with the talent that 'Bama and USC had. It's like he was working offensive miracles at Podunk U.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

I have but one question. How likely is he to call a jetsweep or screen to the short side of the field on most critical third downs?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean, look at the talent on the teams he was coaching. A trained monkey could win with the talent that 'Bama and USC had. It's like he was working offensive miracles at Podunk U.

He had a better offense than anyone else has had at Alabama and recent years and it's not like they just suddenly got a lot of talent last year. And he took Sims from a guy who had been playing RB at one point to one of the most efficient passers in the country. That was a very different offense from the one Bama has typically had success with.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

He had a better offense than anyone else has had at Alabama and recent years and it's not like they just suddenly got a lot of talent last year. And he took Sims from a guy who had been playing RB at one point to one of the most efficient passers in the country. That was a very different offense from the one Bama has typically had success with.

Only because Saban let him. It not as if had Saban let another dude open the offense up, that wouldn't have happened, either.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Him saying that doesn't really mean anything and it's certainly not at all indicative of the odds he's here in the near future.

I hope he has enough dignity to not be crotchety cry-baby old man on his way out when people don't yield to his every demand as to how the program should be run once he leaves and who to hire for what job, chief among that HC. He's a lot more bitchy than people on the outside realize and he'll get really vocal and cunty if things don't go his way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kiffins dad spent his career being a good coordinator, don't really see how Kiffin will magically get better after coaching under Saban and become a great HC.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Kiffin also took some bad players at Tennessee, including Jonathon Crompton, and made our offense look not completely awful when the year before it did look completely awful.

Granted, Dave Clawson was our OC the year before and tried to make Crompton run the ball a lot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
His USC offenses were generally good even by the standards of USC too. And he was the lead recruiter for a lot of the talent there so it's not like it just magically appeared without him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

His USC offenses were generally good even by the standards of USC too. And he was the lead recruiter for a lot of the talent there so it's not like it just magically appeared without him.

Sark was the brains of the offense at USC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sark was the brains of the offense at USC.

source?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The more I read about our incoming offense this year the better I feel about it.

Get ready, Tennessee. We're gonna put up like 35 on you :coal:

and give up about 68

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sark was the one coaching the QB's, I'd have to look for the deep dive read on it, and I don't really have time, but the gist of it was that Sark was always a better, more adaptable offensive mind calling a lot of the plays and doing more of the direct work with the QB's ('Bama is the first time he's worked directly as a position coach) and Kiffin's rise was largely attributable to Carroll's personal affinity for his dad.

I am not saying he's a "bad" coordinator (though you can look at some of the calls he made in the playoff and blink, a lot) but I think it's a bit much to say he's this guru.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean I dunno how you want to define guru but a guy who consistently coaches good offenses is probably a good coordinator.

Kiffin was also the passing game coordinator at USC, which is generally the more demanding of the two in a pro-style offense where they divvy it up. And the lead recruiter which is a thing relevant to being a good college coach. He rose through the coaching ranks a lot faster than Sark too. The name helps but I doubt it's the only reason. A lot of very good coaches seem to want him on their staffs.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread