Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CJacobs posted:

People are babies because they don't want to play a part of a game that the game itself already considers completely optional and is fine to let you do?
They are babies when they whine about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I bought a horde of superior diagrams from Gremist and proceeded to buy all the Cherry/Mandrake cordial in the world so I could brew it all. I sold all my dimeritium ingots to make this possible.

I may regret that decision soon.

Still missing basic White Rafford's Decoction and a couple of other things and that's really annoying me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bort Bortles posted:

They are babies when they whine about it.

So, only DirtyTalk, the person that even the people who do not like playing Gwent have said is a baby? I mean feel free to snipe at people no reason if you guys want, I'm just saying that it helps to be right when you do so.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

So, only DirtyTalk, the person that even the people who do not like playing Gwent have said is a baby? I mean feel free to snipe at people no reason if you guys want, I'm just saying that it helps to be right when you do so.

I can be a baby - it's cool. I guess I just don't like card games. I'm glad I can skip this poo poo thing and I'll report back with actual game play impressions.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nobody Interesting posted:

I bought a horde of superior diagrams from Gremist and proceeded to buy all the Cherry/Mandrake cordial in the world so I could brew it all. I sold all my dimeritium ingots to make this possible.

I may regret that decision soon.

Still missing basic White Rafford's Decoction and a couple of other things and that's really annoying me.
Try visitting the halfling herbalist near Oxenfurt, he used to be Gremist's apprentice:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CJacobs posted:

I wasnt really taking a shot at anyone, actually, I just think it is funny when people pop into threads and bitch about an optional part of a game. Plenty of people have done that, I feel, and I dont honestly give a poo poo, especially because I can be a baby about things at times. But even I laugh at myself.

Palpek posted:

Try visitting the halfling herbalist near Oxenfurt, he used to be Gremist's apprentice:

That guy and the one in Novigrad near Crippled Kate's sell a whole bunch of useful recipes.

edit: some of them are completely random, though? I guess. And apparently others are seeded in specific spots, like Superior Northern Wind is seeded at the very end og the game in the cave on Ard Skellig where you get the sunstone or whatever.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DirtyTalk posted:

I can be a baby - it's cool. I guess I just don't like card games. I'm glad I can skip this poo poo thing and I'll report back with actual game play impressions.

The actual combat gameplay and controls can take a bit of getting used to, if you don't like the combat by the end of White Orchard, maybe just drop the difficulty down a few notches. Although I think it's decent I can see how some players really dislike the combat, thankfully it's not the main strength of this game. The writing, world-building, and "scenes" are really what make it amazing.

Stick with it, no shame in dropping the difficulty if combat doesn't click for you. Post back your impressions once you finish the main Velen quests (Family Matters) :v:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The Bitcher 3: Boxing Cards

This game has all sorts of things that aren't mini-games and there's nothing truly lost from core gameplay if you don't like it. Don't like horse racing, boxing, or Gwent? Cool, you'll finish the game faster probably and still have 100+ hours of content.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm pretty confident I could put the difficulty on the easiest setting, skip Gwent, boxing, and racing entirely and I'd still get 90% of the playtime and enjoyment out of Witcher 3

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

CJacobs posted:

People are babies because they don't want to play a part of a game that the game itself already considers completely optional and is fine to let you do?

CJacobs posted:

Holy poo poo shut up you humorless manchild.

DirtyTalk posted:

Really nobody at all cares that you don't like optional card game. Gwent forms approximately 5% of your entire play time even if you were to collect all the cards and play everyone possible. Although not caring about Gwent means you lose out on a couple of fun/funny quests later in the game where Geralt becomes a) a high roller gwent player and b) becomes the enforcer, collector for noted gwent card black market dealer Zoltan.

This is why Gwent owns - it's not just this lovely game they make you play, it's a silly thing that they made an actually pretty deep part of the game world. Side note: If six months have passed since W2 then holy poo poo Gwent got picked up incredibly fast. Dice Poker? Who the gently caress even plays that lovely game anymore.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I wasn't jazzed by the tutorial and ignored gwent but later picked it up after playing 2/3 of the game at which point I put all quests aside and started traveling all over for gwent cards/playing and it was one of the most fun parts of the game for me. This inkeeper dude knows whats up:

Lex Averial
May 12, 2004

Swans. You know, birds.
Good one, CD Projekt Red.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yen, I don't know how many times I have to say this, but I would really appreciate it if you would stop reading my goddamn mind.

Admittedly, this is maybe a bit hypocritical of me, given that I Axii motherfuckers all day erryday. But I'm reasonably confident I've never tried that on anybody that I care about, let alone love.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

DirtyTalk posted:

Gwent is literally like Pazaak in KOTOR. That is, it's completely optional but you can pretty much challenge every NPC in the game for it. There's a few sidequests involved with it but they're totally optional. I think there's maybe ONE story moment where having a decent gwent deck helps and it's literally just something where you can either kill a bandit to rescue someone or challenge them to gwent and get them to go free (and you get attacked anyway IIRC). So yes, you'll run into a few (small) sidequests involving cards, but none of them involve major or even minor story stuff.

I can understand not liking a card game within a game bro, its ok. :)

Also, I got my rear end kicked a bunch too, but after a few rounds and picking up some better cards (you get a card every time you beat someone first time), you can have a deck that's good. That said, you may not like hte game at all, and at that point just realize it's nothing and you should do any number of the fun things in this game.

Ice Fist posted:

b) becomes the enforcer, collector for noted gwent card black market dealer Zoltan.

You don't have to play Gwent at all for this though? You in fact can tell Zoltan to sell the cards you take and get monies if you want.

I think that may even be the quest I'm thinking of where you can play a dude for his hostage or just you know, kill him.

I think the only sidequests you miss for not caring about gwent is the "rare cards" quests for each area and then the tournament quest which is fun, but probably not worth it if you don't like gwent.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 28, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JetsGuy posted:

You don't have to play Gwent at all for this though? You in fact can tell Zoltan to sell the cards you take and get monies if you want.

True.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Just to add - the only thing doing Gwent gives you is a few random snippets of dialogue, and a tournament with a non-Gwent based quest attached (as far as content goes). As far as rewards it's almost exclusively Gwent cards. There's also a large chunk of money you can get from the tournament - it's level 26 and by that point money is most likely an irrelevant resource. Also, you can get a hunk of money for some cards you help Zoltan collect instead of keeping the cards if you don't give a poo poo about Gwent. So I think all you miss out on in total by not playing Gwent is more cards you don't want.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
on second thought, Gwent is nothing like Pazaak because Pazaak sucked and I'm sure the computer was cheating. :mad: Whenever I hanker for some KOTOR i just giveitem me all the best cards now because gently caress it.

Ugato posted:

Just to add - the only thing doing Gwent gives you is a few random snippets of dialogue, and a tournament with a non-Gwent based quest attached (as far as content goes). As far as rewards it's almost exclusively Gwent cards. There's also a large chunk of money you can get from the tournament - it's level 26 and by that point money is most likely an irrelevant resource. Also, you can get a hunk of money for some cards you help Zoltan collect instead of keeping the cards if you don't give a poo poo about Gwent. So I think all you miss out on in total by not playing Gwent is more cards you don't want

I wonder how they "rate" your deck for the tournament. I wonder if the minimal cards Zoltan gives you along with a few bought ones here and there would be enough to get the deck rated high enough to get into the tournament. Because (Tournament Spoilers) you can always I guess just throw the damned tournament anyway, right? I won the thing so I don't know what happens if you lose? Does the lady win and cheat you? Or does halfling just lose second round and steal the money anyway?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

on second thought, Gwent is nothing like Pazaak because Pazaak sucked and I'm sure the computer was cheating. :mad: Whenever I hanker for some KOTOR i just giveitem me all the best cards now because gently caress it.

I wonder how they "rate" your deck for the tournament. I wonder if the minimal cards Zoltan gives you along with a few bought ones here and there would be enough to get the deck rated high enough to get into the tournament. Because (Tournament Spoilers) you can always I guess just throw the damned tournament anyway, right? I won the thing so I don't know what happens if you lose? Does the lady win and cheat you? Or does halfling just lose second round and steal the money anyway?

You need to at least win the first round, so that whatsername makes her proposal to steal the winnings. If you get that far, then the winnings are stolen no matter what happens and you can go on the usual quest to retrieve them. I guess if you get taken out in the first round then she doesn't think you're worth her time.

I think I've completed all the Gwent quests but still don't have all the cards, which annoys me. Wanna play more Gwent.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

You need to at least win the first round, so that whatsername makes her proposal to steal the winnings. If you get that far, then the winnings are stolen no matter what happens and you can go on the usual quest to retrieve them. I guess if you get taken out in the first round then she doesn't think you're worth her time.

Not true, the halfling blew me out when I tried the quest with a bare minimum deck, and I still got her proposal.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oxxidation posted:

I think I've completed all the Gwent quests but still don't have all the cards, which annoys me. Wanna play more Gwent.
I got all the cards not long after I beat that quest in my first run through. I was sad, though, because I want the version of Emhyr that you win in the tournament before I start the tournament because that would be my favourite deck. I would run a Nilfgaard deck most of the game if I had that leader earlier :(

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I think someone in teh thread said it earlier but it probably has to do with not breaking quests that we can't have our gwent cards.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
I got blown out by the guy in Vizima when I first started playing and hated Gwent too. Then I forced myself to sit down and play it and I'm addicted to it. There better be more Gwent in these upcoming expansions.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Speaking of Gwent, I was trying to complete all of the gwent quests and got stuck on one that's got a bug :argh:
It's the Old Pal quest and I'm up to the point where where you challenge Roche, but I can't even talk to him at all. Apparently the internet says this bug happened after 1.07...has there been any word on when 1.08 might come out? I gotta finish this quest!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lex Averial posted:

The actual quest itself is amazing, as it's just a giant fantasy metaphor for why DRM is a bad idea for video games that just fucks everything up for everybody and doesn't even work the way it's supposed to.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What is the point of collecting all the Gwent cards? Is there a reward?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is the point of collecting all the Gwent cards? Is there a reward?

There's an achievement, a couple significant related sidequests in Novigrad. Mostly do it if you like playing Gwent.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Someone has to dethrone Pharaoh as King of Games, and it will be Geralt of Rivia.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So I just beat the game, and there are still a couple things I can't figure out and couldn't find on a quick Google search:

(1) You go through a bunch of portals to get to Ge'els to betray Eredin. Is the world Ge'els is in the same world as the world where the Wild Hunt comes from? It looks so nice there. I was under the impression that the Wild Hunt was invading Geralt's world because the White Cold was starting to destroy their world?

(2) What is the White Frost and how does this relate to the Wild Hunt? It seemed like the Wild Hunt was "bringing" the White Frost with them, but after you kill Eredin, Ciri makes it seem like they're independent things. In which case wtf is the White Frost? The Wiki ( http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/White_Frost ) doesn't explain any of this.

I was irritated when Eredin said Av'allach was betraying you, because that would have been so the stereotypical (and nonsensical) betrayal that like every single other fantasy game/book/movie does; I was pleasantly surprised when that wasn't the case. "This guy we telegraphed extensively that he was going to betray you? Oh he actually is all cool and helpful, and the evil elf king is just a liar trying to piss you off with his dying breath."

I hit level 35 during the ending, without going out of my way to level up at all (though I did nearly all the quests) and still have 21 unallocated skill points. The skills seem almost pointless except for Alt Quen and (for a few bosses) Igni. Probably they're useful on Death March, but anything less and I don't even notice the difference...

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 28, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Saladman posted:

So I just beat the game, and there are still a couple things I can't figure out and couldn't find on a quick Google search:

(1) You go through a bunch of portals to get to Ge'els to betray Eredin. Is the world Ge'els is in the same world as the world where the Wild Hunt comes from? It looks so nice there. I was under the impression that the Wild Hunt was invading Geralt's world because the White Cold was starting to destroy their world?

(2) What is the White Frost and how does this relate to the Wild Hunt? It seemed like the Wild Hunt was "bringing" the White Frost with them, but after you kill Eredin, Ciri makes it seem like they're independent things. In which case wtf is the White Frost? The Wiki ( http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/White_Frost ) doesn't explain any of this.

Yeah it's the homeworld of the Aen Elle elves and where the Wild Hunt is based. The White Frost is a sort of entropic force that exists in the void between worlds, every world is eventually destined to end in an ice age. The magic the Wild Hunt uses to travel between worlds causes the White Frost to leak out so that's why you get the snap freezes whenever they teleport in. It's mentioned somewhere in game that the White Frost is only just beginning to affect the edges of Aen Elle settlements and civilization so you don't really see evidence of it when you talk to Ge'els, but Eredin's entire motive for hunting down Ciri is to use her and/or babies made with her to stop the White Frost.

Honestly I felt like the whole White Frost bit wasn't well tied in with the rest of the main quest. It comes up a bit in the first Witcher game, where the final bad guy has almost Ciri-like ability to travel through time and space and goes all :hitler: trying to "purify" the world and prepare it for surviving the White Frost.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
(1) Yes. There are some document laying around that explains that the White Frost is advancing across their world and they're struggling to slow it down with magic, but they can't stop it. Which is why they're so desperate to get Ciri.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I found it made him a convincing villain. Because all of his actions no matter how heinous were done in his mind to the service of saving the world. All his criminal activities were connected to this overriding objective. He even leaves you a note in a book shop in Witcher 3 begging you to carry on his mission to save the world if he fails in the final battle.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah
Honestly I felt like the whole White Frost bit wasn't well tied in with the rest of the main quest. It comes up a bit in the first Witcher game, where the final bad guy has almost Ciri-like ability to travel through time and space and goes all :hitler: trying to "purify" the world and prepare it for surviving the White Frost.

Careful on your quotes! Somehow the spoiler tag got cut out.

E: Thanks for the explanations though. I didn't play TW1 (but did play TW2, where the White Frost is never mentioned and the Wild Hunt is mentioned like once).

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

This game is kind of fun but it goes on tooooooo long. My guy is trying to find Dandelion or whatever and hes killed like 1200 people and made a play and searched and rode all over hells half acre - like a drat errand boy.. this guy wastes too much time

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Golden Man posted:

This game is kind of fun but it goes on tooooooo long. My guy is trying to find Dandelion or whatever and hes killed like 1200 people and made a play and searched and rode all over hells half acre - like a drat errand boy.. this guy wastes too much time
That section drags the most of any of them - it picks up immediately after.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Saladman posted:

Careful on your quotes! Somehow the spoiler tag got cut out

Sorry :( I saw that and edited it pretty quickly

The Golden Man posted:

Heh if you're still looking for Dandelion you're like half way through the main quest, assuming you haven't done much of Skellige.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The Golden Man posted:

After you find Dandelion, make sure you do his quest. It has a psych out beginning but it gets good I promise.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Lex Averial posted:

One of mine :) I had to fight for them to not make the joke too obvious. At one point the wizard literally said "GOG is used to get rid of DRM"

EDIT: I think the book is too obvious still but, ah well

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 28, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

One of mine :) I had to fight for them to not make the joke too obvious. At one point the wizard literally said "GOG is used to get rid of DRM"

EDIT: I think the book is too obvious still but, ah well

The obviousness is fine, since it's such a relatively niche joke. If the rest of the game was too wink-wink nudge-nudge, this might've been an issue, but to have one quest like that makes it amazing. You're doing God's work.

Also because I hadn't read the thread in a while, I, Crappy Jack, being of sound mind, do hereby release any legal claim to the idea of having Dandelion's narration in Witcher 4 get increasingly pissy and passive-aggressive if you don't do a sidequest to help him out, because that needs to happen when, and not if, you make Witcher 4. ;)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So fan translation question, is it at least accurate regarding the ending of The Lady of the Lake? Because from the fan translation it doesn't really sound like Geralt and Yennefer were ever really dead, meaning there was no ambiguity to their fate in that regard.

Slowly working myself through the German translations right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Whirl? Or Rend?