Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tony Homo posted:

I'm certainly not trolling. Wouldn't want Gnarly thinking I'm attacking his....
why did you loving bump it again

you know you're only expecting nothing as usual anyway, why make everyone else remember as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The last time I spoke with the DCR it was them reaching out to me to stay away from mid june through after the 4th, even to take photos, because the area was close to the hatch shell and locked down by DHS.

I have no plans this weekend (for real) and emailed them today to confirm it's OK to go down there.

I can't say I have much for a Copley Square solve. It has a lot going against it, too many visual matches in the park. The benches are unique to the park and are obvious. I suppose there could be a route taking you from the park to the library, but I'm just not all in. That route would not pass the hatch shell or either statue, would walk away from the Citgo sign and pretty much never see it, etc.

Like I'm totally open to being wrong but I just don't think that's it, but please PM me or go into detail, I'm super curious :)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
On behalf of Anthony Gay, I doubt your dactyl fortitude and resolve, sir.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
On Boston, I hope it's not around Copley if for no other reason then that part of Boston has been torn up several times over since the '80s so the cask would definitely be gone. For that matter, they've re-done the lawn in front of the hatch shell several times as well, but the Storrow Rose xie referenced is somewhat far down from that so hopefully his solve is closer to the rose than the hatch shell.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

The last time I spoke with the DCR it was them reaching out to me to stay away from mid june through after the 4th, even to take photos, because the area was close to the hatch shell and locked down by DHS.

I have no plans this weekend (for real) and emailed them today to confirm it's OK to go down there.

I can't say I have much for a Copley Square solve. It has a lot going against it, too many visual matches in the park. The benches are unique to the park and are obvious. I suppose there could be a route taking you from the park to the library, but I'm just not all in. That route would not pass the hatch shell or either statue, would walk away from the Citgo sign and pretty much never see it, etc.

Like I'm totally open to being wrong but I just don't think that's it, but please PM me or go into detail, I'm super curious :)

BRING IT ON!

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Goddamn this stupid quest. I can't quit thinking about it.

I haven't really thought about it much lately, but I took a trip to San Francisco over the holidays and hung out with some friends who used to live in Houston ... and you can see where this is going.

With a fresh perspective and thinking on Houston, here's what I'm thinking today.

• Preiss didn't expect these puzzles to be difficult. He expected them to be easy. Obviously, they're not. But they're not difficult because they're obscure, they're difficult because he absolutely sucks as a puzzle designer.
  • Looking back on solved puzzles, they're pretty straight forward once you know what you're looking at.

That doesn't look that way at first, but notice how the background and small detail work gets you to the general area (Ohio, Cleveland, street names, etc). Then, the larger elements show you that you're getting close to the treasure ground, and there's a very large element that says "you are here".

We see the exact same thing in the Chicago solve. It stands to reason that all solves will follow the same pattern.
  • Remember that all of this was done in 1982. We didn't have Photoshop and Google. At best Palancar would have projected the image onto the artwork and painted on top of that -- which is why the artwork in the Cleveland solve doesn't exactly match. Also, people would have been expected to solve this without all the tools we have today. Not that these can't help us -- and we'll probably need them -- but we have to be careful we don't get too obscure. These aren't meant to be riddles full of endless layers of meaning.
  • Also, this is 1982, keep in mind where is he going to bury things. I was alive then and remember the time, and while someone digging in a park today without a permit would trigger a full SWAT response, keep in mind it was pretty suspicious back then too. You also don't want someone digging it up ten minutes after you leave, wondering what you'd buried there. So, it's got to be somewhat private. At the same time, he might risk confrontation by sneaking into a restricted area, but probably isn't going to risk actual jail time.
  • It's probably better if we can simply use the image rather than the verse, especially since we don't know this is how they should be paired. Honestly, I've never seen a good justification for why any verse goes with any image.
  • Stop overthinking the puzzles.

With that in mind, I'm looking at the Houston puzzle again. We know it's Houston because we can find the latitude and longitude numbers in the image.

There's a lot of detail in the leaves, but I can't identify any of it.

That weird mouth thing on the pillar. What is it? Could it be a map like the one in the Cleveland solve?

Nothing in this image is recognizable as Houston or even anything in Houston, which is frustrating.

Maybe the pipes in the background are the Tranquility Towers in Houston, but it's just meant to lead us to Houston, not that area in particular.

Let's suppose the Rhino and Camel are what they seem to be -- pointing us to look at the zoo area, and Hermann Park in particular.

This is where it ends, because Hermann Park has changed so much. We probably can't find much there that resembles the park in 1982. However, it was a popular spot, people took lots of photos there. Maybe we could find old imagery that would tell us more.

Now, if it actually is Hermann Park, I still maintain it was not the Zoo and not the drat Children's Zoo either. One, nothing was ever found there. Two, do you know how loving hard it would be to bury a cask in the zoo? Even in 1982, zoos were on lockdown. They're attractive nuisances, in that stupid people and stupid teenagers want to sneak in and play with the animals. Or release the animals. Or feed a loving stray cat to the bears. Who the gently caress knows, but there's lots of ways to get hurt or to hurt the animals, and zoos simply are not going to let that happen. It's going to be fantastically difficult for Preiss to bury a cask there. Sneaking in will be hard and will likely involve cutting through a fence, a lock, or some barbed wire. Almost impossible to get in and out without being seen or leaving evidence behind, especially with the cask and digging equipment. They did have closed circuit cameras then, and if he's seen sneaking around, they're going to look closer, and they're going to try to find out what he buried and where. If he's caught, it's going to be a very big deal. He'll be arrested and prosecuted. No loving way it's in there.

I still hate the matching of the verse and the 982 locomotive. I don't know why. I can't explain it. I think it would be better to solve without the verse.

But, let's just suppose it is. One thing I've always hated is that every interpretation has us bouncing all over the park, from the 982 to one end of the park and back again, just to get us back to the infernal zoo. Every solve has the verse taking you in a mostly straight line from the beginning to the end. If we're making odd adjustments to the route, we're wrong.

Maybe "strongest tower of delight" is simply a reference to Herman (Park) Melville. Nothing Preiss does is more complex than that. Is (was?) there a marker or monument in the park to the eponymous Hermann?

Looking back over everything with a new perspective. Or at least, trying to.

[edit]
Looking over my old posts, there's this email to/from wilhouse, who corresponded with Preiss quite a bit while looking in Houston:

quote:

This was the last email I received from him, as he passed away shortly afterwards.

Let me be clear, BP and I conversed about many subjects. I am an avid sci fi reader and I purchased many books he published. I tried not to overload him on Secret stuff cause after Egbert found his cask he received hundreds of emails on the subject. I tried to make sure that I only emailed him sporadically about the secret.

He told me once that I had the wrong location, when I was out by the fountains near the museum. He told me several times that he couldn't tell me any more, just to later tell me I was close.

His message that it would not be a waste of time to dig there was, in my humble opinion, as close as he would come to telling me I was right. I say this because he had told me when I was wrong before.

I still think it's there, but our opportunity to get it is small.
wilhouse
He kept thinking that Preiss was telling him he was close in the Children's Zoo and couldn't let that go. However, what if what Preiss meant was that he was close when he was over near the fountains?

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 8, 2015

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I was looking back in my posts. Did anyone ever bother to get in touch with John Tucker regarding the Charleston cask? This may be our best bet to finding one. He might have talked with Preiss and might have been there when he buried it. Might even remember approximately (or exactly) where. It seems like if we just sent a letter with some of this information to the ranger station and said, "we know he's not there anymore, but can anyone get this to him?" we just might get it in his hands. I remember an experiment done a few decades ago where people had to try to get a letter to a randomly selected person they didn't know simply by forwarding it to someone who might know and asking them to do the same. It took on average just six hops.

Charleston -- ha ha, someone beat me to what I've thinking on all day. Oh Well.

Every time I look at the picture and verse 5, I get the impression it's in or very near Ft. Sumter. It's so prevalent in the photo (and what's with the star?) and that's obviously what it is. Anything that specific in any of the found cask pictures has been at or extremely near the burial site. Also, the last two lines are the only ones that reference needing permission to dig up a cask.

quote:

Get permission
To dig out.

If he buried it at Ft. Sumter, it would stand to reason that you'd really want to go asking for permission before you went digging for something buried in a National Park where you're likely to be discovered. It seems that all other prospective sites would be accessible under cover of darkness -- but not this one. It would also stand to reason that he might have asked for permission to dig from the Superintendent in 1981 -- who would also be likely to grant permission ("make sure they come ask for permission before they dig it up, ok?") and would know the basic location of the cask. Has anyone asked that guy about it?

It looks like this guy is who we should ask: John Tucker retires -- 2005.

quote:

chief ranger at Fort Sumter National Monument (which includes Fort Moultrie) from October 1977 to November 1980.

John returned to Fort Sumter as the superintendent in August 1989

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Closing this thread until someone has something concrete to post.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Image 7 Verse 2: New Orleans

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

I underlined a key set of lines which has been discussed previously, but never settled as far as the conclusion for what motivated Preiss to make the selection. What is known is it can be found in the book Abroad in America (1976), in the form of a quotation from Domingo Faustino a former president of Argentina. During a visit in New Orleans he compares the dome of the St. Charles Hotel to that of St. Peter's Basillica in Italy. Has Preiss only selected this obscure reference as a colorful way to talk about New Orleans, or a way to hint at a specific sovereignty? Perhaps it should be taken as a reference to the Superdome (1975). Actually, I don't think it's at all obvious, the most important point of this quotation is to discover how it relates to New Orleans, but to also consider it's connection to South America and it's reference to an Italian landmark. I say it's important, though not really critical, since we've learned that loose approaches to the puzzle and some luck managed to unearth cask's in Chicago and Cleveland.

With all do respect to the OP, I think the approach to these puzzles must be redefined or at least constantly reassessed. As it is in most cases, yes, our assumptions made over generic shapes are likely wrong, so a circle of the moon in image 7 doesn't have to represent the Superdome from an aerial perspective. We know the internet/Google wasn't a resource for Preiss, so we have to always exercise caution as we rely on such tools. I've had some success purchasing historic maps (made and printed in 1980) from eBay just to see if shapes or landmarks like the Superdome are actually presented in the same way as compared to our modern Googlemaps approach.

So we know to be careful about what assumptions we make. The worst assumption though, is to think these puzzles are poorly designed. We don't have to like his methods, but Preiss really had his poo poo together. People who can't comprehend their own stupidity or have to call their mommy for permission to borrow a shovel and the family car need to stop making excuses about how badly they think this hunt was designed. The conclusions I've made after taking a hard look at what I've been doing wrong have yielded some serious insight about how Preiss made connections. Ultimately he provides a “treasure map”, though his way of doing it requires our strict attention to the details.

In the New Orleans puzzle we see plainly the crescent shaped turqoise resting on the top of the clock face. We know the Litany of the Jewels preamble links the Fays of France to the turquoise and New Orleans is one of the best places to make a France connection, but that's where the cultural context seems to end, because we know an Argentinian talked about a palace like dome in NOLA as it compared to St. Peter's in Rome, Italy. We also have the face of Louis Armstrong, a great Dixieland Jazz musican.

Cultrually, this is all over the map. Compare this to the Cleveland puzzle which skirted many different cultural gardens, included a visual reference to the Italian fountain, and then to small plot inside the Grecian Gardens. In Chicago, we don't see anything especially Celtic about the emerald's location in Grant Park; someone once mentioned that the St. Patty's Day parade goes through Grant Park, so maybe there's that. I use to think the cultural connection for each gem was the main concern, I've since learned it's somewhat important, but not necessarily the dominant or key component in the final piece of the puzzle.

I think image 7 is a lot like Chicago's image where the giant wears a hat. The hat is a castle with a large windmill that looks very much like the Chicago's Historic Water Tower. It's then a main road straight to an intersection next to Grant Park. Image 7 has a hand holding up a face mask. The mask fits the face of a statue of Louis Armstrong in Louis Armstrong Park. Many attempts in the past have been made to find a spot in that park or adjoining Congo Square. Many significant changes to Louis Armstrong Park have rendered it pointless to search there any longer, but that doesn't matter since I'm taken the hunt to adjoining Basin Street in the direction of the Superdome from Louis Armstrong Park where the city places three statues in 1957 in what was called the Gardens of the Americas, a tribute to Central and South American people and commerce. The line “Only three stand watch” fits perfectly if anything about this hunt involves finding statues and the quote from Sarmiento might tie in cultrually to this area as well.

The area near the statue of Francisco Morazan is key. It is across the street from a historic cemetery named after a King of France, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1. I've previously outlined some visual correlations comparing the hem of the armsleeve in the image to the pant hem on the Morazan statue. A large circle and triangle inscribed fits the shape of a clock face. A possible connection to a triangle may be communicated symbolically by taking the lat/long number pair and adding in a third number that would make the numbers of a triangle. 90 is well known as a corner of a right triangle. The rule that the other two angles must add up to 90 is also well known. 90 - 29 = 61. I believe the number 19 on the clock is flipped 180 degrees to disguise the fact that it is ambiguously a 61.

The word PRESERVATION is positioned with all both clock hands pointing at the V. I believe this relates to the namesakes riddle. Morazan represents Honduras in Central America. Being central, it is fair to argue that is where north meets south, therefore the namesakes, North and South America meet in the middle at Central America. The Americas are the namesakes of Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci. V is for Vespucci?

The clock points at the number XII. This is important when looking for a specific rooftop belonging to Tomb No. 12. Tomb No. 12 is the Bergamini family of Italy. This tomb can be easily seen from OUTSIDE the cemetery when standing near the Morazan statue.

The verse lines involving the number 15 and 21 leave it up to interpretation as to what they pertain. Many people have counted lamps, bricks, trees, benches, etc. I thought for the longest time they had to do with tombs. That was wrong. If you look at it most literally, since a row is just a number of things in a row and 15 of those things in a row in this case are paces. The same goes for 21. "In the middle" is the same as saying where two things meet, and so I discovered by using an aerial measure tool to approximate that the perpendicular distance from the wall of the cemetery to a spot in the neutral ground of Basin Street is 21 meters (or paces) and that's also 15 meters away from the Morazan statue in the direction of 3 o'clock. Here's the basic vectors put together,

I may not be explaining every single detail in this image, but I think I've got the verse nailed down. The last couple of things I might have an explaination for are the floating figure and a hidden shape in the clock hands design and what looks like a little contour shape match to the small statue that sits on top of the Bergamini Tomb No. 12. Compare a famous Italian statue of Hermes/Mercury and his caduceus. Note: Hermes is the psychopomp who leads the dead to the underworld.

We don't have the wings of the caduceus to make the partial match a perfect fit, but notice how the top of the clock is cut off in the image. Many grandfather clocks share a design feature that's known as a "swan's neck" which includes the symbolic shape of a bird's wings. This is a standard motif among pediment shapes in architecture. Many of the tomb's in the St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 share these motifs,

Gnomes admire and fays delight because this area along Basin Street is the Gardens of the Americas. Wouldn't we also be delighted if some goon's near New Orleans gave this theory a try?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i found all of the treasure

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

i found all of the treasure

How many wrists did you break?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I went looking for the treasure and after finding it found out that real riches come in the form of friends and family who love you and who you love.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
It is said that Byron Preiss designed each cask with a hole you can gently caress. You're supposed to dig it up, gently caress the treasure, and bury it again for the next adventurer.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
This thread is like the last interesting thread ever posted in GBS.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Keep this thread open just for urban smurf.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Nodelphi posted:

This thread is like the last interesting thread ever posted in GBS.

I was actually sad to see it close even though I never contributed.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

Houston Stuff

This is old, but I believe the big visual clues from the Houston picture that led to the Children's Zoo were posts in the park that had a camel and a rhino head. Additionally, the large pillar with the globe on top is similar to an aerial view of the north side of Hermann Park, with the Sam Houston monument making the ball and the reflecting pool making the pillar. The Atropos Key is just east of the reflecting pool, and from what I understand, the train was originally nearby as well.

I really, really don't want it to be in the Children's Zoo either, but I called the Zoo when I was really into this a few months ago and spoke with the employee that helped the guy who brought in the back hoe. He said the evidence was pretty convincing and they dug up huge areas but didn't find anything before they had to call it quits. Apparently the entire area has been renovated for an African forest, so if it was there, it's not anymore. He also said they struggled with several of the verses, but believed it had to at least be somewhere in the park if it wasn't in the zoo.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 8, Verse 1 - Houston

Image 8:

Verse 1:

Fortress north
Cold as glass
Friendship south
Take your task
To the number
Nine eight two
Through the wood
No lion fears
In the sky the water veers
Small of scale
Step across
Perspective should not be lost
In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight
What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night
Looking back from treasure ground
There's the spout!
A whistle sounds.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

He also said they struggled with several of the verses, but believed it had to at least be somewhere in the park if it wasn't in the zoo.

I don't see how they would struggle with several of the verses. The evidence is overwhelming that it is in or around Hermann Park in Houston Texas and only when linked with verse 1.

Just to run it down:

You have the latitude and longitude of Houston hidden in the trees. This is keeping with the two found casks and the accepted theory that the numbers in the images give latitude and longitude. Since this is 1982, he is so generous as to give us a range so we could find it in an Atlas. The coordinates of Houston are 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

There's also a semi-inverted 29 on the left side of the image, but you get the idea.

The portion of the verse:

Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night

Is taken from Herman Melville's Pierre, or, The Ambiguities, which is a hint to Hermann Park in Houston.

Take your task
To the number
Nine eight two

The number 982 is the train that was formerly a fixture within Hermann Park. It has since been relocated.

The point is, whether or not it was actually in the former Children's Zoo, Cask 8 and verse 1 undoubtedly match and the cask was buried in or extremely close to Hermann Park in Houston Texas.

The reference to small of scale in the verse relates to the miniature railroad that is (used to be?) in the park. The sad thing about Houston is, we definitely know where the cask is, and the landscape has changed so much that Q4T poster Wilhouse couldn't find it when he took a backhoe to the children's zoo. The more I read about his adventure, the more questions I have. He was in direct contact with Byron Preiss (the author), during his search. He was told that he couldn't be guaranteed results, but he "wouldn't be wasting his time" by looking in the children's zoo in Hermann Park.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Cask 11, Verse 3 - Boston

In the two solved riddles, we know that Preiss relied upon street names as a method to guide the hunter in.

Euclid and Bellflower in the Cleveland solve.

Congress, R is known, in Chicago

Why should we not interpret the following as direct street name references?

Face the water
Your back to the stairs
Feel at home
All the letters

Notice "The Castle" conveniently stage left.

This is my interpretation of the castle:

The castle also has a lot of interesting spheres:

I would hope you find it slightly more compelling than "Let's just draw a map of Texas on whatever the hell we feel like and call it a match"

If you pick out the wheat from the chaff, you can see that Palencar used similar "camouflage" with Chicago. In other words, don't stress about the "windows" in image 11, they're just hair mayonnaise, like the identical windows in Image 5. All of the spires and window dressing meant nothing to what was disguised beneath. The box she is holding is the Boston University Castle and the geography links it with "Back to the water" being the street names. Preiss has proven himself on street names either within the image or the verse. Why would this one be any different?

e: Don't forget Copley Square Fountain

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 29, 2015

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

That fountain's from the early '90s, iirc

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

HoboZero posted:

Late '80s, but yeah, too late for The Secret

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

I don't see how they would struggle with several of the verses. The evidence is overwhelming that it is in or around Hermann Park in Houston Texas and only when linked with verse 1.

Right, I meant they struggled with some of the lines of verse 1 and if it was leading them to dig in a particular spot.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Xie, I hope you might be willing to reconsider the Charlesgate area by the Somerset. I just noticed something in the verse that might fit the setting specifically.

§, this is known as a typographical "section symbol". It's a double S. The Boston verse has a line "In the middle section" following "a green tower of lights". Seems reasonable to locate the spot where the previous green light pole centers on the Somerset's double S. Note: the current light tower has replaced an old crappy, also green, light tower, which was positioned near its current location. Here it is from 2007's Google Streetview,

Also, I noticed the gate looks like a Venn Diagram,

"In truth, be free," is like a truth table where p and q are visual opposites. In this case an S looks like a money symbol and a backwards $ represents being free...

The gate $$,

The bird is standing on the T of the cyclone fence. There's a globe light to either side.

It boggles my mind when I review the flow of this puzzle. It begins with a curve ball, referencing Thucydides and Xenophon for us to wonder how it possibly applies. Most people say it's the library wall where their names are written, since that's in line with Cleveland and Chicago perspectives. I think this is a much different case where Preiss brings the two characters into a setting that involves logic like that of the Venn Diagram. Find A (globe lamp/Thucydides) in the shrubby fenced in area (exile), then find B (globe lamp/Xenophon) in the circle with stairs (Athens), take five steps in that area where the direction is a straight line from A to B. The verse brings focus on a Longfellow poem, "the Landlord's Tale" aka "Paul Revere's Midnight Ride" in order to loosely provide hints about the British Somerset man-of-war, supporting the Somerset Building's importance to the puzzle.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 30, 2015

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

HoboZero posted:

tacodaemon posted:

Late '80s, but yeah, too late for The Secret

Very true. I knew that. Regardless, that little edit was an afterthought. I think attention should be paid to the castle. Whether or what that confirms or conflicts with Xie's theory, I don't know. He didn't seem too concerned when I mentioned it to him in the past.

I do firmly believe that "back" in the verse is a direct reference to a street name, as seems to be a theme Preiss used in the two solved puzzles. He definitely is hiding clues between the pictures and the verses that are references to streets that you would have been able to see on a map (and that's no joke in 1982, the time it might take to send away and/or go to a local city hall to get a detailed city map of the area you are looking.) Deconstructing the two that have been found do reveal a method.

If Thucydides is
North of Xenophon
Take five steps
In the area of his direction
A green tower of lights
In the middle section
Near those
Who pass the coliseum
With metal walls
Face the water
Your back to the stairs

Feel at home
All the letters
Are here to see
Eighteenth day
Twelfth hour
Lit by lamplight
In truth, be free.

"Face the water, your back to the stairs"

Is the same kind of street name wordplay that he used in the solved Chicago cask.

To explain the example of the solved Chicago verse:

Where M and B are set in stone
And to Congress, R is known
L sits and left
Beyond his shoulder
Is the Fair Folks'
Treasure holder
The end of ten by thirteen
Is your clue
Fence and fixture
Central too
For finding jewel casque
Seek the sounds
Of rumble
Brush and music
Hush.

We know for a fact that this is a reference to the Congress Parkway and Roosevelt which are both roads that take you directly to Grant Park. He seems to use that sort of theme in the verses that don't exactly have a direct link to the image, such as the Roanoke "land near the window" link, or the "seek the columns" for the Cleveland solve. He didn't use the same formula for all 12, lest we develop a fixed solution, but I think he did group similar themes and mixed them up a bit. And yes, I know he was horrible at making puzzles, to avoid that comment that appears on every other page of this thread.

e: For the Charleston clue he refers to "Man of Oz" to refer to the former Baum Bridge/Ferry and has the gratuitous pear to refer to the former Pearman bridge. He's all about dropping close road names.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 31, 2015

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Merlot, look at this,

stand at that spot on the circle where you face the water and have the stairs directly behind you. A person standing there will see that the green light pole would line up with the double S's accross the street.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Urban Smurf posted:

Merlot, look at this,

stand at that spot on the circle where you face the water and have the stairs directly behind you. A person standing there will see that the green light pole would line up with the double S's accross the street.

Not interested in the comic stylings of your talking buttocks.

Joking. Hit me up on Q4T and let's share some theories via skype.

e: Hell, I'll open that one up. PM me to talk about serious treasure Via skype. Only the best nuggets will get back here. Lines are open until 12 midnight EST.

e2: I can tell you why Xie's theory is poo poo.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 31, 2015

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
I'll check back in in 20 mins and somebody needs to be ready to skype re: treasure

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
case closed

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 31, 2015

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

A sad state of affairs when I get more responses from there than from here. Didn't want to admit things are dying hard

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Closing this thread until someone has something concrete to post.

Good idea. All those following posts were solid.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Here's a flattened view of the street view showing how the $$ on the gate is aligned with the original green light pole and how you enter through the tiny fence gate and walk five steps in the area,

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 1, 2015

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

swims posted:

Good idea. All those following posts were solid.

Agreed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Has anyone ever dig at charlesgate? I don't stay up on Q4T stuff.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Has anyone ever dig at charlesgate? I don't stay up on Q4T stuff.

Yes. 2 that I know of. Very thorough escavation and "litter removal" at the little nook where the two circles meet. Not my recommended spot, but a good spot as far as assuming goes. The other spot, where I previously thought it was was north of the circles in the fenced in area between the globe light and a concrete platform where a small utility box housing use to sit.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 1, 2015

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Of all the threads in the history of SA, this one contains the most posts I cannot discern between serious and ironic.

I sincerely wish someone here would find something.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't tell anymore due to the non-standard (misuse) and overuse of the word irony/ironic.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I like this illustration by JJP of the Tax Burden. The strap vertically intersecting the $ symbol is exactly like finding a spot where the green light pole intersects the SS-gate and is a huge giveaway clue. What better reference to Boston is there given the events of the Boston Tea Party in protest of the taxation of Britain on the American colonists.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Cobalt60 posted:

Of all the threads in the history of SA, this one contains the most posts I cannot discern between serious and ironic.

Mine are serious.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I was reading a huge winding thread on another site and it totally reminded me of this one. So I figure'd I would share.

Hope is fading on finding the Lost German Girl but holy poo poo its the Urban Smurf (I love you btw) gang off the leash, going for seven years.

Quick and dirty recap: Czechoslovakia is getting liberated in 1945, the citizens start chimping out on all Germans trying to surrender. At the end of the clip a pretty German girl, probably an SS Typist or something walks up, she obviously had the poo poo beat out of her, broke her hand fighting back, and by the looks of her pants, well they aren't her pants...

Anyhow here's the thread and YT clip.
(Warning, dead/dying people)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRNCHAzVgqE

The thread
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=145596

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

We've done a pretty lovely job trying to find some clay pots buried 35 years ago. I don't think there's a chance of finding some adult aged woman from 70 years back.