Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Awareness is really good, it just works differently from every other tank cooldown. While other tank cooldowns lower your damage floor, Awareness lowers your damage ceiling. While it's active, you'll never take more than 100% damage from an attack, which lets your healers assume that you'll be able to survive the proper # of hits. Never don't have Awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

kafziel posted:

I feel like they could easily fix the entire class by making Fire IV and Blizzard IV instant-casts, or like 1 second cast bars maybe.

BLM damage increases by 5x.

Bards are now casters.
Blm are now bards.
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies!
Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness!
Earthquakes, volcanoes!
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice!
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 28, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Equilibrium also does a much better job than Second Wind of scratching that self-heal itch. While I still have a mental fondness for the self-healing notion of Second Wind, I admit it hasn't kicked Awareness off my bars since Shiva came out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

kafziel posted:

I feel like they could easily fix the entire class by making Fire IV and Blizzard IV instant-casts, or like 1 second cast bars maybe.

Uhhh but I like Fire and Blizzard 4 having actual casts??

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I feel like a lot of the BLM hate is coming from people who haven't gone back since the Thunder buffs. Yeah, having to move during an Enochian Astral phase blows, but with thundercloud procs as common as they are now, I frequently find myself able to use a procc while moving. Which is, all in all, a fairly small dps loss.

Yeah, it's definitely more punishing than 2.x but BLM was also one of the more braindead easy dps classes in 2.x. The 3.0 is vastly more rewarding to master (not that i have, yet, but I'm definitely having more fun getting gud) and makes us competitive with melee dps.

If you're going to be salty about something be salty about SMN nearly equalling BLM single target while being considerably more mobile and having top-tier aoe.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

When I got Awareness I replaced Second Wind with it and put that giant stack of hi-elixirs I accumulated in SW's place on my hotbar. They were just as good in 2.X and I wanted to try and use them up (spoilers the stack continues to grow)

e: my run on sentences are about as good as SW too

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

For what it's worth:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/250801-This-red-scrip-system-doesn-t-seem-very-casual-friendly..?p=3192857&viewfull=1#post3192857

Zhexos posted:

Greetings,

Thank you all for the feedback regarding the acquisition rate of red scrips. Among the various feedback we've been collecting regarding red scrips, we're also aware that players feel that the amount of red gatherers' and crafters' scrips earned is too low which leads to the amount of work to obtain them higher than it should be.

We're planning to make adjustments in next week's hotfix, so please hang in there a bit longer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Let's hope it's a significant increase. Double the acquisition rate and halve the price of every thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was hoping they'd stick to their guns. I like it as it is frankly and hope they don't do anything too drastic. I can cap my scrips without an inordinate amount of time or money invested, gathering/fishing are finally something I can do without thinking to myself "god what a waste of time this is" (now obtaining scrips and favor mats), and the limited supply of crafter tokens makes it so that you can't just flood every available market niche. You have to pick and choose and gauge and actually THINK or communicate. What a novel idea. And this stuff absolutely sells - not to everyone and it is expensive, but the buyers are assuredly there. I've sold to them and spoken to at least one other seller.

But no. It's all too hard and too expensive and takes too long and I can't have every single thing that I want right now so of course there MUST be something wrong. It can't possibly be related to not even giving it a chance for markets to develop or not even trying to buy Favor materials at a reasonable price or not even trying to communicate with buyers to make an arrangement or, worst of all, having to actually just wait for something. That's all way too difficult or uncomfortable. I just want to be able to hit my macro and have nice things without any effort or thought or resources required.

I get that it isn't "casual friendly" because it does take time and money and experience and it is absolutely high risk (NQs, overpaying, making a bad bet on demand) and most people are very risk-averse. It's why they like "100% HQ" macros so much and often avoid those crafts until such a thing is possible (this is why you see so many "Oh but I liked crafting in 2.x!" - that was their experience). But it's also for this reason that most [of those] crafters live behind the curve and prefer doing that which is known and established and comfortable. The new tiers being difficult to reach and unknown how to do and having hard to find materials that are expensive to attain is nothing new. I've been there for every one so far.

But that doesn't mean there's something wrong - I'm having a blast playing the market and trying to find just the right rotation and learning as I go and each HQ is a little victory - but it's not for everyone. And that is ok. Even if the rest of everyone has trouble accepting it. You will get to do these crafts too and you will get that fancy looking gear, I promise. It just takes time.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

A better adjustment to BLM would be I think to remove the requirement for enochian/element 3 to be there at the end of the cast, and just have it be at the beginning.

While I play way more WAR than BLM so I definitely need practice, I'm finding myself doing poo poo like just standing in AOEs to avoid a cascading Enochian-related failure and I should just... not feel so strongly compelled to do that.

I kind of feel like Heavensward in general is punishing (not-SMN) ranged a bit harshly, with many of the encounters being a huge gently caress you if you're not mobile while making you stay put to do decent DPS. It's not horrific or impossible to overcome or anything, it just seems unbalanced in a not fun way.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Source your quotes my man

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

:ironicat:

Your fakepost has a more valid and salient point than your complaining about a grind in an MMO does.

There's a lot "wrong" with crafting and gathering at the moment, but the acquisition rate of red scrip really isn't the problem.

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 28, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I was hoping they'd stick to their guns. I like it as it is frankly and hope they don't do anything too drastic. I can cap my scrips without an inordinate amount of time or money invested, gathering/fishing are finally something I can do without thinking to myself "god what a waste of time this is" (now obtaining scrips and favor mats), and the limited supply of crafter tokens makes it so that you can't just flood every available market niche. You have to pick and choose and gauge and actually THINK or communicate. What a novel idea. And this stuff absolutely sells - not to everyone and it is expensive, but the buyers are assuredly there. I've sold to them and spoken to at least one other seller.

But no. It's all too hard and too expensive and takes too long and I can't have every single thing that I want right now so of course there MUST be something wrong. It can't possibly be related to not even giving it a chance for markets to develop or not even trying to buy Favor materials at a reasonable price or not even trying to communicate with buyers to make an arrangement or, worst of all, having to actually just wait for something. That's all way too difficult or uncomfortable. I just want to be able to hit my macro and have nice things without any effort or thought or resources required.

I get that it isn't "casual friendly" because it does take time and money and experience and it is absolutely high risk (NQs, overpaying, making a bad bet on demand) and most people are very risk-averse. It's why they like "100% HQ" macros so much and often avoid those crafts until such a thing is possible (this is why you see so many "Oh but I liked crafting in 2.x!" - that was their experience). But it's also for this reason that most [of those] crafters live behind the curve and prefer doing that which is known and established and comfortable. The new tiers being difficult to reach and unknown how to do and having hard to find materials that are expensive to attain is nothing new. I've been there for every one so far.

But that doesn't mean there's something wrong - I'm having a blast playing the market and trying to find just the right rotation and learning as I go and each HQ is a little victory - but it's not for everyone. And that is ok. Even if the rest of everyone has trouble accepting it. You will get to do these crafts too and you will get that fancy looking gear, I promise. It just takes time.

Wow, what a crazy, unreasonable opinion! Epic find, goon sire.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Vahalla posted:

There's a lot "wrong" with crafting and gathering at the moment, but the acquisition rate of red scrip really isn't the problem.

Remove the weekly cap on red scrips and the whole crafting/gathering progression system is fixed IMO.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

A better adjustment to BLM would be I think to remove the requirement for enochian/element 3 to be there at the end of the cast, and just have it be at the beginning.

While I play way more WAR than BLM so I definitely need practice, I'm finding myself doing poo poo like just standing in AOEs to avoid a cascading Enochian-related failure and I should just... not feel so strongly compelled to do that.

I kind of feel like Heavensward in general is punishing (not-SMN) ranged a bit harshly, with many of the encounters being a huge gently caress you if you're not mobile while making you stay put to do decent DPS. It's not horrific or impossible to overcome or anything, it just seems unbalanced in a not fun way.

You don't need astral fire 3 to cast fire 4. Many times I have used fire 1.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lumis posted:

Remove the weekly cap on red scrips and the whole crafting/gathering progression system is fixed IMO.

You're right, what we need to do is let everyone grind as hard as they want and dominate the market because they're super rich so that regular crafters get totally hosed because they lack either the time or the gil to compete.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

You don't need astral fire 3 to cast fire 4. Many times I have used fire 1.

Good to know, though marginally useful. Being able to quickly bounce between the two at three stacks is pretty important for doing good DPS, unless I also missed that the number of stacks somehow doesn't matter for Fire IV damage. Seems like convert->Blizzard IV might be a potential lifesaver though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

Good to know, though marginally useful. Being able to quickly bounce between the two at three stacks is pretty important for doing good DPS, unless I also missed that the number of stacks somehow doesn't matter for Fire IV damage. Seems like convert->Blizzard IV might be a potential lifesaver though.

Oh it doesn't , don't expect a full hit. Only know this from when fire 3 goes off before the fire 1 lands. And its easier to go blizzard 3>blizzard 4, haven't tried with blizzard 1 though.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 28, 2015

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Eej posted:

You're right, what we need to do is let everyone grind as hard as they want and dominate the market because they're super rich so that regular crafters get totally hosed because they lack either the time or the gil to compete.

If that's what a player wants to do with their time/resources, sure. I'd be equally okay with them removing the weekly cap on Esoterics as well. I dislike time-gating of content in general.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Hi guys, I just made a free trial and picked out what server I wanna play on, but apparently the server I picked is one of the ones that's full constantly. Yay.

When they open a full server up to new chars, how long do you usually have to get in? Minutes? Hours? Seconds?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Eej posted:

The main problem is that 100% HQ shouldn't even be a thing. It makes NQ worthless, which translates to all but high-end crafting being worthless.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Vahalla posted:

I think the numbers are fairly unreasonable if you have your eyes set on the 180 not-meldable pieces and want to ouftit each individual class.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 28, 2015

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I thibk the servers auto check current in game population every 4 hours to deter k one if it will be open or not. So if it opens it'll be open for 4 hours, until the next check

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sade posted:

Hi guys, I just made a free trial and picked out what server I wanna play on, but apparently the server I picked is one of the ones that's full constantly. Yay.

When they open a full server up to new chars, how long do you usually have to get in? Minutes? Hours? Seconds?

It's basically based on server pop at that time, generally correlating with "do you need to wait in a queue to login at this moment" I think. So it could be seconds/minutes or it could be a few hours. The websites that report on open vs. closed check every few hours, but it's totally possible to create a character when a website reports "open" and vice versa.

Early morning (NA time) on weekdays is your best bet for general purposes, or immediately before or after a maintenance. During evenings and weekends it's really not even worth trying.

I think that paying the $18 server transfer fee gets you around the restriction too (or at least has much gentler restrictions - it's been a long time since I've seen a report of someone going "I tried to transfer but it wouldn't let me because the destination was full").

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The restriction on a paid transfer is the character must be 72 hours old, which I think caused some old confusion thinking it was because the server was closed. There are additional restrictions as well (can't be in an FC, own land, among other things) but it might be more explicit if those are a problem, though I couldn't tell you having never done it myself.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Poultron posted:

Speaking of crafting a bit earlier up in the thread, where do I go to learn "how to craft" these days? I sort of have it all figured out low level, but now that I have some classes at 50+ everything has gotten a lot more difficult. Things take like double the steps and I'm a bit lost as to how to HQ anything. I did notice that people are actually using the elemental brand synth in conjunction with the new ability that boosts them, but that's all I've really figured out. Is there a guide to rotations somewhere? Googling leads to like 8 million different rotations and none of them seem to really get me HQ on even this level 50 stuff.

I have CRP, WVR, ALC, and CUL all at 50 and I'm working on getting the others to 50 but I'm mostly limited by leves at the moment.

EDIT: Similar question, when should I upgrade my gear from 50-60? Obviously at 60 I'll just make a full HQ crafted set, but when in between?

Quoting this for a new page since it probably got lost. Please assist

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Magil Zeal posted:

I think the numbers are fairly unreasonable if you have your eyes set on the 170 not-meldable pieces and want to ouftit each individual class.

But that's explicitly not what Square wants you to do (Max gear on every crafter). The intention is that you actually use your Specializations and only them as your crafts. They've stated this and stated it, and the mechanics reinforce it. Heart of the _______ & delineations are the only way you're going to reliably HQ 2*s for now, so that's at most the left side of 3 classes.

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 28, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chyea posted:

Just killed Alexander Savage 3.

World First. First pull of the raid.

loving. Incredible.

Just how absurd were the damage checks in A3, or was it a combination of other stuff?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just how absurd were the damage checks in A3, or was it a combination of other stuff?

500K in potions on a pull sounds "fun".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Vahalla posted:

But that's implicitly not what Square wants you to do (Max gear on every crafter). The intention is that you actually use your Specializations and only them as your crafts. They've stated this and stated it, and the mechanics reinforce it. Heart of the _______ & delineations are the only way you're going to reliably HQ 2*s for now, so that's at most the left side of 3 classes.

Sure, that will take awhile. So does gearing your DoW/DoM to BiS, much less multiple jobs.

It doesn't really matter whether or not you think Square wants you to do it that way, I am certain that they have failed in this regard if only because you're still looking at needing several key crafting classes at 50 or higher to reliably HQ 2-star items, never mind the gear or post-50 mechanics. Moreover, crafting is still crazy interdependent, with a recipe on one DoH requiring finished materials from another. I don't have to level up my white mage to acquire gear for my summoner, but if I want to craft a blacksmith recipe, more than half the time I will need an ingredient that is made by a carpenter, leatherworker, goldsmith, or alchemist.

Though I'd argue that even if you just plan on outfitting your three specializations in full sets of 180 gear + 170 accessories/belt, it's still a lot more grind than it should be.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
And now you're getting in to problems outside of people complaining that they can't have their BiS on all their crafters/gatherers for a minimal amount of effort.

Gating the red scrip gear in a mirror of the DoM/W was probably one of the few things I actually like about crafting/gathering in 3.0.

The real problem lies in there not really being a pot of gold at the end of either rainbow right now. There's currently not much reason to BiS your gear because the stuff that is actually selling doesn't require it, and that doesn't look like it going to change for awhile.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

500K in potions on a pull sounds "fun".

Part of being a world first group is there's generally logistics behind the raiding team, who are equally excited to be involved in helping supply the world first clear, and themselves are bleeding edge crafter/gatherers competing for firsts and poopsocksing their rear end off right along with the raid team. I can definitely understand the appeal of that, even if I wouldn't do it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Poultron posted:

Quoting this for a new page since it probably got lost. Please assist

I asked this question many many pages back, and the answer I got was to level to 51 (GC turn ins will be your friend) and then buy the Archaeoskin gear from HW vendor(s) to start because the Artisan's set is way too much of a grind when it will be shortly outclassed in a few levels. Most of the left side gear is upgradeable at 51.

Also, it looks like FFXIV Crafting got updated with 50-60 gear too: http://ffxivcrafting.com/gear just hope you get on when it doesn't time out :v:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Vahalla posted:

Yeah, it's definitely more punishing than 2.x but BLM was also one of the more braindead easy dps classes in 2.x. The 3.0 is vastly more rewarding to master (not that i have, yet, but I'm definitely having more fun getting gud) and makes us competitive with melee dps.

That's basically the complaint, though. There were already other classes that were more rewarding to master, the simple BLM rotation was one of the things that made it unique. Now BLM feels a lot more like the other classes and a lot less like the class I loved in 2.x. A similar shift happened to BRDs. The changes aren't completely awful since some people obviously like them, but others just don't enjoy their favorite class anymore and there aren't really any good replacements.

I wouldn't want to take away current BLM or BRD for people that like them, but it still sucks pretty hard for people who don't have a favorite class anymore. It feels like there's less class diversity in general with everybody having some kind of stance or buff to maintain, and unfortunately there aren't any easy ways to fix that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Vahalla posted:

And now you're getting in to problems outside of people complaining that they can't have their BiS on all their crafters/gatherers for a minimal amount of effort.

Gating the red scrip gear in a mirror of the DoM/W was probably one of the few things I actually like about crafting/gathering in 3.0.

The real problem lies in there not really being a pot of gold at the end of either rainbow right now. There's currently not much reason to BiS your gear because the stuff that is actually selling doesn't require it, and that doesn't look like it going to change for awhile.

And not having the "pot of gold" doesn't matter to me because just having the gear for all my classes is enough of an incentive for me to want to do it (I like the gear because it looks neat and will make crafting easier), but the year+ grind to accomplish it is quite discouraging.

For the record, I like the gating just fine. The red scrip system as a whole, while unnecessarily complex, in concept I am cool with. Collectables to receive red scrips which you exchange for gear, great, that's fine. But the numbers are not where I'd like them to be.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Magil Zeal posted:

And not having the "pot of gold" doesn't matter to me because just having the gear for all my classes is enough of an incentive for me to want to do it (I like the gear because it looks neat and will make crafting easier), but the year+ grind to accomplish it is quite discouraging.

For the record, I like the gating just fine. The red scrip system as a whole, while unnecessarily complex, in concept I am cool with. Collectables to receive red scrips which you exchange for gear, great, that's fine. But the numbers are not where I'd like them to be.

The current state of red scrips is in your best interests, whether you realize it or not. The quantity of crafts needed to max red scrips per week is driving prices on subcomponent materials like Aurum Regis Nuggets and the like, boosting their profitability beyond what it's lifespan would otherwise be. This provides ample money making opportunities, and as time goes on it will only get easier and easier to convert that money into gear. If you're relying on red scrip and only red scrip to get your gear you're kinda loving up.

As Vahalla said, the chief failure of the crafting system right now is that the 2* crafting gear serves no real purpose. There are no desireable 2* recipes for non-crafters, and most crafters because of this realize that there's nothing really to be gained from dumping millions upon millions of gil into hellrushing the 2* gearsets. The result is a lethargic market.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The real issue is that favours are really dumb because you need to spend upwards of 11 hours a week chain gathering nodes to use up your gathering scrips and the drop rate is extremely variable.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

The current state of red scrips is in your best interests, whether you realize it or not. The quantity of crafts needed to max red scrips per week is driving prices on subcomponent materials like Aurum Regis Nuggets and the like, boosting their profitability beyond what it's lifespan would otherwise be. This provides ample money making opportunities, and as time goes on it will only get easier and easier to convert that money into gear. If you're relying on red scrip and only red scrip to get your gear you're kinda loving up.

As Vahalla said, the chief failure of the crafting system right now is that the 2* crafting gear serves no real purpose. There are no desireable 2* recipes for non-crafters, and most crafters because of this realize that there's nothing really to be gained from dumping millions upon millions of gil into hellrushing the 2* gearsets. The result is a lethargic market.

I don't craft to make money, so the health of the market is irrelevant to me. I craft to be self-sufficient (even at a loss) and to acquire cool-looking pieces of gear.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eej posted:

The real issue is that favours are really dumb because you need to spend upwards of 11 hours a week chain gathering nodes to use up your gathering scrips and the drop rate is extremely variable.

Oh right I knew I was forgetting something.

There's also that. The way that gatherers are integrated into the system is convoluted and retarded at best.

But yeah if you're really hardcore crafting right now, there's not much to gain from it except being prepared for 3* poo poo later down the line :shrug:

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't craft to make money, so the health of the market is irrelevant to me. I craft to be self-sufficient (even at a loss) and to acquire cool-looking pieces of gear.

That's great man. Good news, you can do that and it's pretty drat easy. You just can't get all of them super fast because there are concerns at play other than yours. So I recommend figuring out which looks the coolest (hint: it's weaver)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I asked this question many many pages back, and the answer I got was to level to 51 (GC turn ins will be your friend) and then buy the Archaeoskin gear from HW vendor(s) to start because the Artisan's set is way too much of a grind when it will be shortly outclassed in a few levels. Most of the left side gear is upgradeable at 51.

Also, it looks like FFXIV Crafting got updated with 50-60 gear too: http://ffxivcrafting.com/gear just hope you get on when it doesn't time out :v:

Well this helps with the gear but what about rotations/etc?

I knew FFXIV Crafting had gotten updated but didn't know he finished the Gear too. Nice!

• Locked thread