Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

When I saw that chick ground up in the escalator in Final Desitantion I thought it was awesome. This one makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If it makes you fee any better, escalator landings don't just collapse from design flaws. Shoddy malls in podunk Chinese towns are often built without any regard to safety standards. This is going to be a case of gross criminal negligence.

This. News reports are saying maintenance guys forgot to screw the panel back in after previously working on the elevator.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chichevache posted:

Define "most vicious"

He meant to say "most viscous".

Their serial killers really like to get all oiled up before a killing.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Probably just like the earlier mystery of the three experienced sailors who (well, this is the most likely explanation at least) through various shenanigans all ended up off the boat, and found out the hard way that you can't swim fast enough to get back on.

I love the fake mysteries of how someone experienced at 'X' could possibly die doing 'X.' Like, did they ever solve the mystery of how experienced-ham-sandwich-eater Moma Cass died?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I love the fake mysteries of how someone experienced at 'X' could possibly die doing 'X.' Like, did they ever solve the mystery of how experienced-ham-sandwich-eater Moma Cass died?

Cass Elliot died of a heart attack and was also Jewish (religiously or just culturally) enough not to eat pork.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

And if she had just shared it with Karen Carpenter they'd both be alive today! :allears: Yes, Aunt Connie, we got your FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: Sad But True email.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If it makes you fee any better, escalator landings don't just collapse from design flaws. Shoddy malls in podunk Chinese towns are often built without any regard to safety standards. This is going to be a case of gross criminal negligence.

A guy in Turkey fell into an escalator's mechanism about 2 years ago. However, he was carrying a long wooden plank that got wedged between the ceiling and the escalator's steps. The whole escalator stopped moving, but the step gave out first while he was trying to remove the plank.

I wouldn't want to clean out the interior of an escalator after that.

If someone is found guilty will they be executed by escalator?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Basebf555 posted:

A situation like that has to be so surreal and just baffling, I'm not sure the human brain even has time to process poo poo like that. Like, she's about to fall through and she's clinging to the edge, but there's no way it would even occur to me in that moment that I was in mortal danger. Then a second later she's in there I assume being all ground up in the machinery and its all over with. Life is bullshit man.

Meanwhile Stephen King rushes to his computer to churn out another novel...

I remember a segment on Rescue 911 (the show hosted by William Shatner) of a toddler who got his sweatpants leg caught at the top of the escalator.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I once fell down on my butt as a young child right at the bottom of the escalator. I was wearing a dress and I was sure that my butt was about to get pinched into the place where the escalator disappears under the metal rim. My grandpa swooped me up right away and I was fine, but I always wondered if it would have injured me if he hadn't. This was like 1980 and I'm not sure how safe they were back then.

Also, been terrified of escalators ever since. Not watching that video, nope nope nope.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I had my bootlace get stuck on the escalator in a busy subway station in St. Petersburg. Someone pulled the emergency switch and I was able to break loose, but I seriously thought I was going to die for a terrible minute or two. The shoelace obviously would've broken before any real harm could be done, the more pressing concern was not getting trampled by dozens of oblivious Russians. They just gave zero fucks, but that's probably true of subway commuters everywhere.

I still make sure my shoes are firmly tied if I'm going to take an escalator, keep an eye on my feet the entire time, and just generally try to avoid them whenever possible.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I wouldn't want to clean out the interior of an escalator after that.

"Hey Harry. Listen, can't really go into it but you're going to have to come in early tonight. Oh, and make sure you bring the really big wire brush, please. And some spare pants."

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/26/serial-killer-shot-west-virginia-neal-falls

Not exactly unnerving but someone may have killed a serial killer in self defense

quote:

The woman [a prostitute] said that she had been preparing a long time for that split second where she saved her own life and possibly stopped a serial killer.

“I fought men my whole life,” she said. “I guess I had to be ready for that guy.”

:smith:

What's unnerving is how prostitutes are serial killers' victims of choice because not only do they easily allow strangers to get them into secluded situations, but the rest of society doesn't give too much of a poo poo about them because they're whores and therefore human garbage.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Rabbit Hill posted:

:smith:

What's unnerving is how prostitutes are serial killers' victims of choice because not only do they easily allow strangers to get them into secluded situations, but the rest of society doesn't give too much of a poo poo about them because they're whores and therefore human garbage.

That, and they're in a dangerous occupation, so it's less obvious there's a serial killer operating if they start disappearing. And many operate under assumed names and may not have fixed addresses, so they're hard to track. It's unfortunate but they make easy victims for a number of reasons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have no idea if this was actually a true opinion held by the real Ted Bundy, but after he got brought up the other day I watched Riverman, where Bundy is played by Cary Elwes.

Anyway in the film he talks about how he doesn't respect some killers(in this case the Green River Killer) because they have no "moves", and therefore only go after prostitutes who will get in their car regardless of their social ineptness. Bundy thought he was above those guys because he could talk regular college girls into his car.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Each dot on this map represents a body, usually that of a prostitute, that was found along a major highway in the space of thirty years or so. I believe all were thought to be the work of serial killers.

I think I read somewhere that truck driving is like, the ideal profession for that sort of thing. Rest stops and whatnot have freaked me out ever since.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Jul 28, 2015

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

Each dot on this map represents a body, usually that of a prostitute, that was found along a major highway in the space of thirty years or so. I believe all were thought to be the work of serial killers.

I think I read somewhere that truck driving is like, the ideal profession for that sort of thing. Rest stops and whatnot have freaked me out ever since.

hmm. i think on balance i should prostitute myself in south dakota

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Grim Sleeper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Sleeper got away with killing prostitutes for like 20 years. He was only caught because of a combination of DNA techniques improving and having a petty criminal son(Lonnie Franklin himself was not in the database).

He got his nickname because people thought he had stopped killing for a period of about 14 years, but really most experts think he was just using his job as a garbage truck driver to dump the bodies in the landfill. So there's an indeterminate number of women who were wiped from existence(quite literally, its like they never existed) because nobody gave a poo poo to look for them or even know they were missing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crow Jane posted:

There was an amazing long form article written by a woman who had spent the 80s hitchhiking with truckers and barely escaped a killer. I wish I could remember where I read it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

hmm. i think on balance i should prostitute myself in south dakota

It's just that there's no one there to find the bodies.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There was an amazing long form article written by a woman who had spent the 80s hitchhiking with truckers and barely escaped a killer. I wish I could remember where I read it.

I think I know what you're referring to, pretty sure it was posted way back in the thread somewhere. There's a picture floating online of one of his victims, a closeup he took shortly before raping and murdering her in the ruins of an old barn or farmhouse. The terror in her eyes is one of the most unnerving things I've ever seen.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The longform article by the woman who barely escaped him was in GQ: http://www.gq.com/story/truck-stop-killer-gq-november-2012

The picture of the girl that was likely taken minutes before he killed her appeared in - to no one's real surprise - a Daily Mail article that is basically a really condensed retelling of the GQ article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2223778/The-night-I-murdered-truck-stop-serial-killer-One-woman-tells-story-survival.html

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

When I lived right off the Northern Cheyenne Reservation in Montana (which is probably where that dot in the southeastern corner of the state sits, or near it), I was told many times by various people with varying degrees of sincerity or cynicism, that if you ever want to kill someone, do it on the reservation. No one will ever find the body and no one will ever look for you if they do. (And then they would tell me that I was safe because I was a white woman. That took a while for me to comprehend, but it was an eye-opening lesson in white privilege before it became a Tumblr cliche.)

That, combined with the fact that Native American women are victims of violent and sexual crime at a much higher rate than any other demographic, with over 80% of that violence perpetrated by someone of another race (i.e., white), is horrifying. Still more invisible, disposable people. Most Americans think Native Americans are pretty much nearly extinct, anyway, like the black rhinocerous or something.

E: Looking again at that map, I can tell you that the dot in the very top right corner of Wyoming is on the city of Gillette or its surroundings, and there is literally gently caress-all nothing around it for miles and miles. I once drove (stupidly, by myself, without telling anyone where I was going) from where I lived in Montana to Gillette and passed only two cars in the entire 2 hours the trip took, one-way. Time it right and you could probably have the time to rape, kill, and dismember a whole family in the middle of the highway there without being caught. You could almost certainly do it if you just drove into the brush out of sight of the road.

E2: Just remembered I had taken my camera with me on that little excursion and got a picture of the emptiness --

(I think I was taking a picture of the car ahead of me, since it meant I was no longer alone. :3:)

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Jul 28, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Basebf555 posted:

The Grim Sleeper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Sleeper got away with killing prostitutes for like 20 years. He was only caught because of a combination of DNA techniques improving and having a petty criminal son(Lonnie Franklin himself was not in the database).

He got his nickname because people thought he had stopped killing for a period of about 14 years, but really most experts think he was just using his job as a garbage truck driver to dump the bodies in the landfill. So there's an indeterminate number of women who were wiped from existence(quite literally, its like they never existed) because nobody gave a poo poo to look for them or even know they were missing.

wiki posted:

According to investigators, evidence was found suggesting that several serial killers were murdering women in South Los Angeles. Louis Craine committed at least two of the "Southside Slayer" murders, and Michael Hughes, Daniel Lee Siebert, and Ivan Hill at least one each.[11] A separate series of killings commenced with the murder of Debra Jackson and a different MO involving a firearm.[10] These became known, misleadingly, as the "Strawberry murders". Sheriff's Detective Ricky Ross was wrongfully arrested due to a ballistics error. Two decades later, the perpetrator of these crimes was named "Grim Sleeper" due to a long period of apparent inactivity between murders.[12]

:eyepop:

Do these arseholes ever run into one another? Like 2 serial killers stalking the same prostitute and then arguing about who was there first. I know I am being flippant here but this just seems to bloody absurd.

As for serial killer/mysterious deaths and highways, British Columbia has its own Highway of Tears where numerous women have gone missing. Some of the murders have been linked to Bobby Jack Fowler but people aren't sure if he is responsible for all the murders on the highway, and most doubt it, so there is probably still a killer patrolling that highway.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
There are also a few hundred native women that are missing from locations near highways and truck stops in Canada as well, if I remember correctly.

E - yeah, here we go. The "Stolen Sisters" and the "Highway of Tears." The parallels to Robert Pickton are freaky. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/27/canada-aboriginal-women-missing-fontaine-am-i-next

E- beaten by the post above, but with different article :)

MAKE NO BABBYS has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Jul 28, 2015

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Madkal posted:

:eyepop:

Do these arseholes ever run into one another? Like 2 serial killers stalking the same prostitute and then arguing about who was there first. I know I am being flippant here but this just seems to bloody absurd.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Shipman and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_West

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

Bundy also volunteered at a rape crisis hotline and a suicide hotline, which was where he met Ann Rule. Who knows what he was really thinking when he answered the phones, but he came off as helpful to callers and a good listener.

Just saw this -- Ann Rule has passed away. I've never read A Stranger Beside Me -- gotta fix that.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I hadn't heard that. I always enjoyed her books because of their focus on the victims. I haven't read one in a while, but I remember them being easy reads that I occasionally had to put down. She really deives home the tragedy of these people being taken away from their families and lives.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Rabbit Hill posted:

E: Looking again at that map, I can tell you that the dot in the very top right corner of Wyoming is on the city of Gillette or its surroundings, and there is literally gently caress-all nothing around it for miles and miles. I once drove (stupidly, by myself, without telling anyone where I was going) from where I lived in Montana to Gillette and passed only two cars in the entire 2 hours the trip took, one-way. Time it right and you could probably have the time to rape, kill, and dismember a whole family in the middle of the highway there without being caught. You could almost certainly do it if you just drove into the brush out of sight of the road.
I grew up in Gillette. During the boom years several girls disappeared during or just after night shifts at gas stations. It was apparently pretty well known that a trucker could pull off I-90 grab someone (or talk someone into their truck) and just drive off with nobody noticing. Plenty of coal/oil holes about to dump a body that wouldn't be found for a hundred years.

Might be exaggerated as I grew up after things had calmed down a bit but I remember at least 3 missing posters at the local Mini-Mart over the course of about five years which is an impressive amount for a town that I think was about 13,000 people at the time.

The principal in this story was one of the better teachers I had. Sadly the article has no sense of style. Much better to keep the big reveal at the end when telling it.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I can't post a link right yet because I'm on my phone, but does anyone remember all those bodies they found a while back in the sand dunes / on the beach up around Long Island? I remember at the time they released very little details except that the bodies were all in various states of decomp, and they implied it could be the long-time dumping spot of possibly more than one serial killer.

Has there been anything else about that? Anyone know?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

I can't post a link right yet because I'm on my phone, but does anyone remember all those bodies they found a while back in the sand dunes / on the beach up around Long Island? I remember at the time they released very little details except that the bodies were all in various states of decomp, and they implied it could be the long-time dumping spot of possibly more than one serial killer.

Again it's pretty morbid to think of, but as the above poster said, do these serial killers ever run into each other?

Like two of them heading to the same place to dump bodies, and nodding as they cross paths "Jim" *nod* "Larry" *hat tip*

"See you next week?"

"No sorry the city is coming by to check on the weird smell in my basement... hahaha'

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Two serial killers running into each other: is the twist in the utterly horrifying movie "Man Bites Dog". Except that they also have camera crews with them because they are live-documenting the killers.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jul 28, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A serial killer convention, cleverly renamed to "Cereal Convention", is a plot point in Sandman. As much as I liked the series, that was pretty groan-worthy.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

That drat Satyr posted:

Sounds like a reliable dumping spot for mafia types to get rid of a body.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Two serial killers running into each other is the twist in the utterly horrifying movie "Man Bites Dog". Except that they also have camera crews with them because they are live-documenting the killers.

Thanks for spoiling that, rear end in a top hat. I hope you're hitching someday and I'm the one who picks you up.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Crow Jane posted:

A serial killer convention, cleverly renamed to "Cereal Convention", is a plot point in Sandman. As much as I liked the series, that was pretty groan-worthy.

It was cool and good, sorry

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Chichevache posted:

Thanks for spoiling that, rear end in a top hat. I hope you're hitching someday and I'm the one who picks you up.

It's a horrible, 23-year old French independent movie. Sorry

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TotalLossBrain posted:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TotalLossBrain posted:

that's my favorite kind of movies you rear end in a top hat

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Kurtofan posted:

that's my favorite kind of movies you rear end in a top hat

Well then why haven't you already seen it?

Sorry though about the tags. I wouldn't recommend watching it. Probably one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well then why haven't you already seen it?

Sorry though about the tags. I wouldn't recommend watching it. Probably one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen.

it's a joke.