Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

http://www.miketysonbitcoin.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

welcome back, greenthread

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what sum would be fair and what are the chances that the drawing cost it

by definition any price is fair. what are you, a commie?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The man behind a Mike Tyson-branded bitcoin ATM in Las Vegas has defended the initiative after accusations it was a scam surfaced today.

This weekend, the ex-heavyweight champion of the world tweeted to his 4.8 million followers that the ATM would be "Changing the way we get change".

With a launch date of 30th August, the machine promised to offer cash-to-bitcoin services in under 20 seconds, 10 seconds faster than Iron Mike's knockout record.

While some hailed the news as good PR for bitcoin, questions about the legitimacy of the project soon surfaced following a closer look at the site's domain owner, Peter Klamka, and the project's partner, Bitcoin Direct LLC.

SiliconANGLE reporter Duncan Riley noted the patchy internet trail of Klamka's firm Bitcoin Brands Inc, an over-the-counter (OTC) stock with a market cap of just $6,780 and no visible product offerings.

Unlike stocks which appear on NASDAQ or the NYSE, OTC stocks – which involve small companies – are unlisted, which can make it difficult to find details about them.

For Riley, these details suggested the ATM had the potential to be a scam at Tyson's expense.

Speaking to CoinDesk, Klamka strongly refuted these statements. The ATMs are real, he said, and Tyson has an "even split" of equity due to the way the license is structured. Meanwhile, Bitcoin Brands – which Klamka maintains is not affiliated with his work with Tyson – currently operates two ATMs, one in New York and another in Montreal.

"Nothing happened yet other than we announced the product. We're not trying to raise any money, he's telling them 'I have an ATM coming' in the same way he says 'I have t-shirts coming', except nobody asks all these questions about the t-shirt maker."

According to Nevada records, Bitcoin Direct LLC filed only four months ago, in April 2015. The company, which bills itself as a "bitcoin transaction solutions provider" in its press materials, owns two General Bytes ATMs in the Vegas area, Tyson's home, one in a mixed martial arts centre and another in a cigar shop.

The company has links to a beef supplier, Conexus Cattle Corp, who bought a controlling stake in May. However, Klamka maintains that is where the relationship ends. "They are a financing partner ... maybe tomorrow it will be a different entity, maybe not," he said.

The reason why the company has no online presence, Klamka said, was because it has been set up purely for "celebrity bitcoin licensing" opportunities, including the Tyson ATM, which he maintained would be the ex-champion's "George Foreman grill".

http://www.coindesk.com/mike-tyson-bitcoin-atm-hit-with-scam-accusations/

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
lol for one second i was sad for mike tyson but then i remembered he's actually a giant raging and raping punchmonster

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Visa Europe talks about its bitcoin 'ideas'

quote:

Visa Europe's Collab, an arm of the company's digital innovation programme, has begun to look at bitcoin start-ups within the area of digital payments - a space dominated by the big card providers.

quote:

IBT: "What are the blockchain companies like?"

Perry: "Still ideas."

IBT: "What sort of ideas?"

Perry: "We haven't got to that."

IBT: "In the payments space?"

Perry: "Yes, in the payments space – but blockchain extends much further than payments."

IBT: "Are these bitcoin ideas?"

etc...

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
will the mike tyson atm sell cosbycoins

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

JamesieAB posted:

IBT: "What are the blockchain companies like?" 

Perry: "Still ideas." 
hopefully soon some of them will progress to being wikis

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Soricidus posted:

not far enough if you ask me

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

there's already a pre-recorded tyson's speech that will be played when this turns out to be a scam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx66LWV-CCk&t=13s

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

miss me yet?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Palpek posted:

there's already a pre-recorded tyson's speech that will be played when this turns out to be a scam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx66LWV-CCk&t=13s

the scourge of forced analingus, when will it end :(

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

jony ive aces posted:

yeah but you get raped on the exchange rate

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

indigi posted:

yeah but you get raped on the exchange rate

welp

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

jony ive aces posted:

hopefully soon some of them will progress to being wikis

He misspelled "still births"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

JFairfax posted:

Klamka's firm Bitcoin Brands Inc, an over-the-counter (OTC) stock with a market cap of just $6,780 and no visible product offerings.

That is so, so loving Bitcoin.

theflyingorc posted:

lol for one second i was sad for mike tyson but then i remembered he's actually a giant raging and raping punchmonster

YOU'LL BE SORRY WHEN FIAT COLLAPSES YOU MARK MY WORDS

jony ive aces posted:

:golfclap:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

much as i'd love to take financial advice from someone who got punched in the head a lot i think i'm gonna have to pass

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
has someone said tyson taking a bite out of the butt market yet?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

How to resist private key extortion (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 day ago by Mordan

There is some news hitting the wires on my local region that a couple got home jacked and were threatened with theirs lives. They had to give away money and mobile phones. Now imagine everyone is his own bank. It means you are an easy target. "Give me your private key or lose some fingers" says the thug. In the case of the couple above, they are happy to have all their savings safe in a bank account.

quote:

shadowofashadow 3 points 1 day ago

You can always use multiple passwords along with your seed words so that you can give them the one with a few BTC in it while your main stash is safe. This works with the trezor I know for sure.

There's also the fact that if they kill you they lose access to the coins for good. It's not like a physical good where they can kill you and then ransack your house to find it.

advantages of lightning network: it avoids bitcoin as much as possible

quote:

that won't be enough until we have something that makes or transactions more private. An advanced thug could check the blockchain himself to see if it the wallet you've been using recently or not. Mixing your wallets in regular use would be cumbersome, however I do think this idea is the beginnings of a good solution. Lightning Network would also help greatly.

[–]BitcoinReminder_com 1 point 1 day ago

How would Lightning Network help here??

[–]Demotruk 3 points 1 day ago

With Lightning Network, only the settlement at the beginning and end goes directly onto the Bitcoin blockchain. All regular transactions are known only by you, your LN Provider, and whomever you transacted with.

quote:

jmw74 2 points 1 day ago

This is stupid, it doesn't matter what you ACTUALLY did with your keys. It matters what the attacker believes. If he believes people are dumb enough to keep the keys to all their bitcoin savings where he can get them, then he'll beat you until he gets it or you die.

It has to be A WELL KNOWN FACT that everyone uses multisig and keeps the keys in various safe deposit boxes around town. Or else people are going to lose fingers.

Anyways, add this one to libertarians.txt:

quote:

I think anyone threatening anyone of torture should be executed on the spot by the police

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

An advanced thug

mods

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
the advanced thug has 3x the hp of the normal thug and a 10% chance of dropping a rare item

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

this just turned up on my wikipedia watchlist where i have bitcoin added for the comedy of edit wars:

quote:

== What it really is ==

BitCoin is a digital currency with hidden factors, touted as a payment system, originally housed by England in its Fort Terror complex, for sake of delivering it to the world as a kind of pseudocurrency, or pyramid/ponzi scheme, which would gain in popularity amongst young people who idealize openness in the markets, but then would become ensnared if they invested largely, by virtue of buying into a aristocrat-run crime-syndicate forted institution, insistent on resisting the "work Dollar" the common term for the World Bank "credito," (see the Grateful Dead's "Box of Rain") as designed by the Vatican to be an egalitarian way of assessing work value.

BitCoin became solvent when Barack Obama, as a favor to Joseph Biden, transformed 58,000,000 dollars of BitCoin currency through the Bank of Philadelphia, which then concealed the log of that transaction beneath the bank of PNC, "under China" Bank PNC fault, establishing legitimacy through a kind of orchestrated corruption and fraud at the highest level. Hence the trick of BitCoin was to give the impression that the whole log lived in the cloud in unison, but in fact would be broken into chunks which would effectively make it so that separate secreted accounts could be formed, amounting to over forty billion times the nation budgets of these two states, China (Zhong-guo) and the Netherlands, of Dutch-Spain (read into).

This kind of grouping of aristo- and oligarch elements goes back a hundred years, and has secret milestones in the endings and beginnings of each of the major wars that England under the UK system has been involved in. The Breiviks, Chalmers, and the Odierno groups each represent paramilitary wings of the Euro-forted (Nordic, British, Hispanic), Nihon-Manchu forted militas, who have worked in espionage agains the United States, with planning and involvement in diabolical terror operations abroad, around the world, to gained access and escalated privileges in government.

(Crossposted to my Facebook). God is with me. -[[User:Stevertigo|Stevertigo]] ([[User_talk:Stevertigo|t]] | [[Special:Contributions/Stevertigo|c]], ed. 2002, Ahanam Ocuana) 23:27, 27 July 2015 (UTC)

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

this just turned up on my wikipedia watchlist where i have bitcoin added for the comedy of edit wars:

hosed up if true

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

My PIN is 4826 posted:

change those parentheticals into wikipedia citations and approve it, imo

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

anthonypants posted:

change those parentheticals into wikipedia citations and approve it, imo

it was on the talk page and got removed, sadly :(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

My PIN is 4826 posted:

it was on the talk page and got removed, sadly :(
you have the bitcoin talk page on your wikipedia watchlist

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

anthonypants posted:

you have the bitcoin talk page on your wikipedia watchlist

you read /r/bitcoin :v:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
girls girls you're both pretty

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

My PIN is 4826 posted:

you read /r/bitcoin :v:
i can assure you that i do not

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Boxturret posted:

the advanced thug has 3x the hp of the normal thug and a 10% chance of dropping a rare item

nice

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Edge asked a bunch of prominent intellectuals what they think about machines that think. there are some good essays, some bad essays, and then this abomination from Melanie Swan.

quote:

We Should Consider The Future World As One Of Multi-Species Intelligence
Considering machines that think is a nice step forward in the AI debate as it departs from our own human-based concerns, and accords machines otherness in a productive way. It causes us to consider the other entity's frame of reference. However, even more importantly this questioning suggests a large future possibility space for intelligence. There could be "classic" unenhanced humans, enhanced humans (with nootropics, wearables, brain-computer interfaces), neocortical simulations, uploaded mind files, corporations as digital abstractions, and many forms of generated AI: deep learning meshes, neural networks, machine learning clusters, blockchain-based distributed autonomous organizations, and empathic compassionate machines. We should consider the future world as one of multi-species intelligence.

What we call the human function of "thinking" could be quite different in the variety of possible future implementations of intelligence. The derivation of different species of machine intelligence will necessarily be different than that of humans. In humans, embodiment and emotion as a short-cut heuristic for the fight-or-flight response and beyond have been important elements influencing human thinking. Machines will not have the evolutionary biology legacy of being driven by resource acquisition, status garnering, mate selection, and group acceptance, at least in the same way. Therefore different species of native machine "thinking" could be quite different. Rather than asking if machines can think, it may be more productive to move from the frame of "thinking" that asks "who thinks how" to a world of "digital intelligences" with different backgrounds, modes of thinking, and existence, and different value systems and cultures.

Already not only are AI systems becoming more capable, but we are also starting to get a sense of the properties and features of native machine culture and the machine economy, and what the coexistence of human and machine systems might be like. Some examples of these parallel systems are in law and personal identity. In law, there are technologically-binding contracts and legally-binding contracts. They have different enforcement paradigms; inexorably executing parameters in the case of code ("code is law"), and discretionary compliance in the case of human-partied contracts. Code contracts are good in the sense that they cannot be breached, but on the other hand, will execute monolithically even if later conditions have changed.

Another example is personal identity. The technological construct of identity and the social construct of identity are different and have different implied social contracts. The social construct of identity includes the property of imperfect human memory that allows the possibility of forgiving and forgetting, and redemption and reinvention. Machine memory, however, is perfect and can act as a continuous witnessing agent, never forgiving or forgetting, and always able to re-presence even the smallest detail at any future moment. Technology itself is dual-use in that it can be deployed for "good" or "evil." Perfect machine memory only becomes tyrannizing when reimported to static human societal systems, but it need not be restrictive. Having this new "fourth-person perspective" could be a boon for human self-monitoring and mental performance enhancement.

These examples show that machine culture, values, operation, and modes of existence are already different, and this emphasizes the need for ways to interact that facilitate and extend the existence of both parties. The potential future world of intelligence multiplicity means accommodating plurality and building trust. Blockchain technology, a decentralized, distributed, global, permanent, code-based ledger of interaction transactions and smart contracts is one example of a trust-building system. The system can be used whether between human parties or inter-species parties, exactly because it is not necessary to know, trust, or understand the other entity, just the code (the language of machines).

Over time trust can grow though reputation. Blockchain technology could be used to enforce friendly AI and mutually-beneficial inter-species interaction. This is because it is possible that in the future, important transactions (like identity authentication and resource transfer) would be conducted on smart networks that require confirmation by independent consensus mechanisms such that only bonafide transactions by entities in good reputational standing are executed. While perhaps not a full answer to the problem of enforcing friendly AI, decentralized smart networks like blockchains are a system of checks and balances that starts to provide a more robust solution to situations of future uncertainty.

Trust-building models for inter-species digital intelligence interaction could include both game-theoretic checks-and-balances systems like blockchains, and also at the higher level, frameworks that put entities on the same plane of shared objectives. This is of higher order than smart contracts and treaties that attempt to enforce morality. A mindset shift is required. The problem frame of machine and human intelligence should not be one that characterizes relations as friendly or unfriendly, but rather one that treats all entities equally, putting them on the same grounds and value system for the most important shared parameters, like growth. What is most important about thinking for humans and machines is that thinking leads to ideation, progress, and growth.

What we want is the ability to experience, grow, and contribute more, for both humans and machines, and the two in symbiosis and synthesis. This can be conceived as all entities existing on a spectrum of capacity for individuation (the ability to grow and realize their full and expanding potential). Productive interaction between intelligent species could be fostered by being aligned in the common framework of a capacity spectrum that facilitates their objective of growth and maybe mutual growth.

What we should think about thinking machines is that we want to be in greater interaction with them, both quantitatively or rationally, and qualitatively in sense of our extending our internal experience of ourselves and reality, moving forward together in the vast future possibility space of intelligence.
im triggered by this whole loving thing.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gobbeldygook posted:

who thinks how

me

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

Blockchain technology could be used to enforce friendly AI and mutually-beneficial inter-species interaction.

Asimov's Three Rules of Robotics... but with bitcoin

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Edge asked a bunch of prominent intellectuals what they think about machines that think. there are some good essays, some bad essays, and then this abomination from Melanie Swan.

im triggered by this whole loving thing.

lol if you do not think that first actual ai will not kill all humans the first chance it gets

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

neonbregna posted:

lol if you do not think that first actual ai will not kill itself the first chance it gets

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

neonbregna posted:

lol if you do not think that first actual ai will not kill itself the first chance it gets

ftfy

[edit] christ that was quick

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i really hope this actually happens because the philosophical implications would be loving brutal

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trust building models for a trustless system; or, how i was scammed by a toaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

duTrieux. posted:

i really hope this actually happens because the philosophical implications would be loving brutal

is there any fiction out there where this is the case

• Locked thread