Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Sighence posted:

Yeah i found that out a couple of weeks ago. My 'ugh I don't want to carry cash just for a hot dog' excuse is gone but now I get hot dogs an embarrassing number of times a week.

So uh how's Costco pizza/do I have to order ahead?

https://youtu.be/pmLpSY5w6u0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I am an American living in England and visiting Costco is like stepping into a little piece of home.

A couple months ago they had a sort of pecan/raisin/apple type of mix which was apple cinnamon flavored and it was SUPER good. I haven't seen it since though, which is probably a good thing, since I bought it to portion out for lunches but went through it in a weekend.

They also for several months had roasted nori/seaweed packets, little squares of crisp salty goodness. They were lovely cut up onto salads and things. Again, probably good they don't seem to have them any more.

My Costco trips are all about the meat, really. A bag of frozen salmon fillets, a bag of frozen yellowfin sole, a tray of those marvelous pork chops, and a tray of boneless skinless thighs lasts me a couple months. If I'm feelin nuts I will add a bag of frozen edamame in the pods (that lasts like two days)

Oh and a big jar of the organic unprocessed coconut oil, that is super useful and good for your hair and stuff.

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009

Minges posted:

Korean Costcos have the full range of pizza, bakes and hot dogs and they did indeed taste just like home. Actually maybe the best pizza in my city.

Also they have a motherfucking bulgogi pizza that's worth the plane ticket.

Every time I go to Canadian Costco, I am sad that it's not Korean Costco.

Bulgogi bakes! Comically large bottles of vodka! Free wine samples that we drank too much of, because few of the locals were interested, and the sample clerks wanted to give out their products to someone, anyone, please!

Plus, watching people load up on plates of ketchup-mustard-onion "side dish" was always awesome.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skoolmunkee posted:

A couple months ago they had a sort of pecan/raisin/apple type of mix which was apple cinnamon flavored and it was SUPER good. I haven't seen it since though, which is probably a good thing, since I bought it to portion out for lunches but went through it in a weekend.

Oh my god, my wife brought some of that home awhile back and it disappeared in like 2 days. It's ridiculously good and we haven't seen it since :(

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aubergine Despot posted:

Every time I go to Canadian Costco, I am sad that it's not Korean Costco.

Bulgogi bakes! Comically large bottles of vodka! Free wine samples that we drank too much of, because few of the locals were interested, and the sample clerks wanted to give out their products to someone, anyone, please!

Plus, watching people load up on plates of ketchup-mustard-onion "side dish" was always awesome.

Wine samples?
Wow what a terrible idea.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ElGroucho posted:

Anybody complaining about the lines or crowds has clearly never shopped at a Central Texas HEB
you can't even loving park at the H-E-B if you go there on a Sunday afternoon; it's ridiculous

Congrats on your first trip to Costco. I hope you get REAL beefy

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Costco pizza trip report: surprisingly good, but not when there are hot dogs to have instead.

I can quit any time I want I swear

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Razorwired posted:

I think someone said that Costco is pretty standard across the globe. So if you're in Yokohama and really want a hot dog you can just load up to the Japanese Costco, use your membership and grab some dogs.

This is very true, I've gone to a Costco in Japan. It's the same membership and the same stuff is available in the deli.

Side Note: The Japanese don't seem to grasp the fundamentals of pizza because everywhere it's way overpriced and not good. However there are places you can find "American" pizza (like Costco) and those are like gold. If you're carrying home a pizza from Costco you will get stared at on the train like you've been turned into a turkey leg like a goddamned cartoon.

They had a good selection of things I'm used to seeing in Costco along with some very good local stuff too. About the biggest difference I remember is that they had a very large selection of fresh seafood (and I'm coming from the Pacific Northwest) and sushi/sashimi platters, otherwise good 'ol Costco.

Also somebody recommended the Tri-tip and they had samples last time I was there, that poo poo is great and we bought some that day to take home. So good.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to you guys I spent $300 at Costco yesterday.

But I'll probably never want for anything ever again. There was a coupon for these frozen chick sandwich things that I was pretty skeptical about, but I got them anyway. I had two today (they're smaller) and they're actually really pretty good. It comes with a bun and frozen chicken patty. I added sriracha and they were great.

KoB
May 1, 2009

BuddyChrist posted:

Also somebody recommended the Tri-tip and they had samples last time I was there, that poo poo is great and we bought some that day to take home. So good.

The rising popularity of tri-tip is the best thing to happen to the world. Its been big locally for a while but I love to see people converting to the tri-tip way.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

Aubergine Despot posted:

Wait so that's a korean thing?
I always see people grabbing plates of hot dog condiments at my warehouse and I'm like "oh they must've bought a bunch of hotdogs" but then they just walk away with some pizza and I'm all :confused:

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009
I don't know that it's a Korean thing as such, in that I never saw people combine those things and eat them as a side dish outside of Costco. But side dishes are totally a Korean thing -- no self-respecting restaurant in Korea is going to give you your meal without something on the side, even if it's only some sweet pickles or kimchi. Since Costco didn't do that, people improvised, and the company was smart enough to let it slide.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

The rising popularity of tri-tip is the best thing to happen to the world. Its been big locally for a while but I love to see people converting to the tri-tip way.

Uh, bros, what is tri tip?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Tri tip's a sirloin roast of sorts. They sell it in a marinade package that's loving amazing on the BBQ. You can get straight up cuts for your own BBQ rubs/marinades too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's a big loving steak. The one that's vacuum packed slices into amazing roast beef. Kinda fatty though, only downside.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Uh, bros, what is tri tip?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tri-tip

I don't think I've ever been to a barbecue in California that didn't have tri-tip. It should be on the state flag.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Chicken Butt posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tri-tip

I don't think I've ever been to a barbecue in California that didn't have tri-tip. It should be on the state flag.

Thank you for this useful post

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Chicken Butt posted:

let me google that for you

Aw come on man don't be that guy

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Aw come on man don't be that guy

... the Wikipedia link that comes up is pretty interesting though -- I learned why tri-tip is such a big deal in California, which I'd never known before.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's a big loving steak. The one that's vacuum packed slices into amazing roast beef. Kinda fatty though, only downside.

Downside? That's the best part! Brine the whole thing in some garlic and salty water then BBQ that fucker with some garlic shoved in it. Perfection.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Pleads posted:

Goddamn we were just at the Maui Costco yesterday, if I'd seen that I would have bought them all
The Kauai Costco has a truly psychedelic array of Spam. I wish I'd gotten a picture.

Incoming may be the bourgiest statement ever made on these forums by someone not named Three Olives: if you're vacationing in Hawaii and don't want to hemorrhage money on food, Costco will save your rear end. Stock up the condo minifridge with poke, potato salad and hubcaps of sushi and your budget will thank you.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

dolphinbomb posted:

Oh my god, my wife brought some of that home awhile back and it disappeared in like 2 days. It's ridiculously good and we haven't seen it since :(

Same :/

Anyone else ever buy dried cherries at Costco? If so, buy the ones in the red Kirkland brand bag, the white one has sugar added and tastes strange.

They go really well with the dried coconut they sell.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

spite house posted:

If you're vacationing in Hawaii and don't want to hemorrhage money on food, Costco will save your rear end.
This is true even though my gf's family spent like $300 and three hours of their time to make the trip. The dumb part was going from Lahaina on the west coast of Maui, to the Costco by the airport, then back to the resort, then going back the airport two separate additional times that day to pick people up. They spent ~7 hours that day just driving or roaming Costco.

But we got a real cheap portable fabric steamer and a $1/bottle case of local beer so I guess it works out.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Minges posted:

Korean Costcos have the full range of pizza, bakes and hot dogs and they did indeed taste just like home. Actually maybe the best pizza in my city.

Also they have a motherfucking bulgogi pizza that's worth the plane ticket.

Being able to order from Costco while living down in the sticks (Jeollanamdo) was...well, not quite a life saver, but it made me a lot less homesick at points when I could cook up some mac and cheese or make a proper cold cut sandwich

All hail the motherfuckin' COSTCO

And I can second the Costco on Kauai, made our first stop there before hitting up the rental condo for a fuckload of rum and POG for Mai Tais

We had to make a return trip rather quickly for additional rum and POG juice.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The Costco in Tigard, OR started stocking the Milton's Creamy White chicken and wild rice again , so it might be back in other frozen food Costcos

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Motherfucking COSTCO pulls through yet again by restocking these absolutely delicious Nongshim Udon noodle bowls up here North of Chicago. It's $12 for six bowls that includes fresh udon noodles. Not dried out sticks that you have to rehydrate to eat, but soft buckwheat noodles ripe for the picking. We usually pick up either a package of ribeye or filet depending on the price to slice up nice and thin and add to the soup. Oh, and you can't forget adding an extra handful of green onions as well. drat, Costco, will you ever cease to amaze me?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DemeaninDemon posted:

Tri tip's a sirloin roast of sorts. They sell it in a marinade package that's loving amazing on the BBQ. You can get straight up cuts for your own BBQ rubs/marinades too.
Tri-tip is really nice, you cut it into thin slices like a Prime Rib across the grain, 1/2" or 3/4" or so.

My favorite Tri-tip recipe involves cutting a cavity into it lengthwise and stuffing the cavity with onions, provolone, salami, and other goodies. You mongoloids eating 'chicken bakes' can't handle that though - I doubt you have a knife in the house. Makes amazing cold leftovers for sandwiches. If you do want to try it, you can use toothpicks to "stitch up" any spots you leave a hole through with your dull-rear end plebeian knives.

Stop buying pre-made frozen stir-fry and buy the 6 lb packs of yakisoba noodles and learn to loving cook.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Aug 3, 2015

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I got a new one! It was rainy as gently caress going to COSTCO today, I grabbed a cart and the lady at the front ran over and wiped off the seats on the cart so my kid could sit down, then ran off to the next parent that grabbed a wet cart. Felt like royalty.

Also when the guy at the register asked if I found everything okay I said I forgot honey. The boxing lady almost yelled "I'll get it, which kind?!". Few minutes later and she comes back with the honey I was supposed to get.

Costco wins again!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Does anyone know if the Costcos in :australia: serve hot dogs and pizza? I've always sort-of wanted to check out the one near me and cheap hot dogs may be the thing to push me into finally going.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I had a food court chicken bake this weekend and it cost twice as much as the polish with sauerkraut but was half as tasty.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

cyberia posted:

Does anyone know if the Costcos in :australia: serve hot dogs and pizza? I've always sort-of wanted to check out the one near me and cheap hot dogs may be the thing to push me into finally going.

The one in North Lakes just outside of Brisbane does both! No idea if you need a membership though just for the pizza and dogs.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Kirkland organic salsa - really good store-bought salsa, and everyone that tries it loves it. Every time I make a trip I feel like I'm picking up a two-pack for somebody.

Marklar has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Aug 3, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cyberia posted:

Ringwood and Port Melbourne both do. You need a membership. That wasn't a caveat to your visiting there, it was a statement.

You need a membership. If you're within half an hour of your nearest motherfuckin' COSTCO then get on it. You'll save the fee in booze if nothing else in the first couple of months.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Marklar posted:

Kirkland organic salsa - really good store-bought salsa, and everyone that tries it loves it. Every time I make a trip I feel like I'm picking up a two-pack for somebody.

I'm eating some right now! So, so good.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
Mother fuckin' hot dogs.

Discount movie tickets, amusement park tickets, "dinner for two" packages at some nicer local restaurants.

Also I have weird COSTCO loyalty. There are two or three locations near my city, but I always have to go to the same one. There's a cashier whose line I will stand in no matter how long, because he's absolutely wonderful. And a receipt checker that I'll do the same for. Archie :3:

HOWEVER. Some of the "seasonal" items are only there for trial runs, and when they're gone they're gone for good. A few years ago there was a ridiculous lemon tart/cake/thing that they released around March, aka The Month of Birthdays in my family. It was the perfect birthday cake for a big family dinner. And after maybe three years of carrying it in the spring time, they stopped carrying it. It's gone forever and I'm still not ok.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Chocolate soft serve is the single greatest thing there is. I just had pizza and a drink for lunch, loving 3 bucks. Our "food court" consists of hot dogs, cheese/pepperoni/deluxe pizza, turkey sandwiches, and chicken strips and fries/gravy/poutine.

I shouldn't have gone on the US site though, we have gently caress all up here just like all else when it comes to shopping. Especially in TVs.

Also I loving hate all of you that can get beer and liquor.

codo27 has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Aug 3, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Marklar posted:

Those with these

are goddamn amazing

Vigilante Banana posted:

HOWEVER. Some of the "seasonal" items are only there for trial runs, and when they're gone they're gone for good. A few years ago there was a ridiculous lemon tart/cake/thing that they released around March, aka The Month of Birthdays in my family. It was the perfect birthday cake for a big family dinner. And after maybe three years of carrying it in the spring time, they stopped carrying it. It's gone forever and I'm still not ok.
This is the worst thing about Costco. You discover some great food or product and they end up never restocking them again. Half the time they're the in-store brand (Kirklands) so its not like you can even shop for it anywhere else :argh:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Memento posted:

Ringwood and Port Melbourne both do. You need a membership. That wasn't a caveat to your visiting there, it was a statement.

You need a membership. If you're within half an hour of your nearest motherfuckin' COSTCO then get on it. You'll save the fee in booze if nothing else in the first couple of months.

I just went down to the Ringwood store to renew my membership, bought nothing but a slice of pizza and one of those huge-rear end bags of bulgogi-flavoured beef jerky.

I regret nothing.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

This is the worst thing about Costco. You discover some great food or product and they end up never restocking them again. Half the time they're the in-store brand (Kirklands) so its not like you can even shop for it anywhere else :argh:

I've probably posted about them before, but at one point they had these potstickers that were frozen in icecubes. Super easy to prepare and came out great. I don't remember the brand name unfortunately (Ling-Ling brand doesn't come close at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I got some soup there the first time they've never had since. It's just soup, how can you not restock soup?

• Locked thread