Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Speaking of speaking of fun stuff and messing with higher ups, a buddy of mine on tour told me that during a ground attack against KAF (lol) he was guarding a restricted area and performed an EOF on a WO

Pumped a couple of C7 rounds in the dirt in front of his Toyota pickup :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Those adorable fools who would mount ground attacks on KAF. Usually they would just get spotted a long way from the perimeter and get dusted by the alert Kiowa or someone.

One time though, they brought a bulldozer and hardly made it to the fence before they were immediately lit the gently caress up by the juiced up party-boy Slovaks. Man those guys were fun to chill with.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Remember when I said primary flying training was the hardest thing I'd ever done? Welllll...phase 2 is basically impossible. After 10 weeks of not too challenging groundschool and 3 weeks of introductory sims with the nice old guys from Bombardier, you go right to the flight line with air force instructors who are expecting a lot. Every trip is a kick in the balls, even if it's a high grade. Then there are a lot of guys near the end of the course doing advanced tests, and I feel that there is no way I'll ever be able to do the same, although I've felt that way from the get-go here.

Thankfully I didn't get sick (much), which is really common in this airplane: weird propeller strobe effect and the trim aid device causing a lot of subtle, uncommanded movements apparently.

66 more trips.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Remember when you raped that girl in Borden? Turns out you're just "wired that way" and it's not actually your fault.

Thanks, Tom!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah that really didn't help things at all.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Ruse posted:

Those adorable fools who would mount ground attacks on KAF. Usually they would just get spotted a long way from the perimeter and get dusted by the alert Kiowa or someone.

One time though, they brought a bulldozer and hardly made it to the fence before they were immediately lit the gently caress up by the juiced up party-boy Slovaks. Man those guys were fun to chill with.

Man, the Slovaks were solid as hell and 24/7 ready to party. Solid guys.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah that really didn't help things at all.

Jesus christ, no kidding. It doesn't matter whether or not Lawson legitimately believes in :biotruths:, just even bothering to mention that destroys all credibility. Honestly, going to Reddit's forum or Army.ca and reading about their response is so ridiculous. My favourite are the idiots who've never even heard of how a sample works criticizing that "hurrff durrff the survey didn't contact EVERYONE in the CAF, so OBVIOUSLY it only represents those 700 people".

I love how in the CAF, its really beat into you to "stay in your lane", but when something like a statistical survey comes out every idiot who's never even taken a Stats 101 course thinks they have the common sense enough to criticize statistical surveying and sampling methods.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

God drat, the Army.ca stuff is some legit MRA bullshit.

Some Army Retard posted:

FANTASTIC!

You now equate all of these incidents as "rape". Unfortunately, Sexual Assault constitutes many lesser forms than just "rape". Some can be as innocent as poor choice of words in a conversation. Some may even be FALSE claims filed by one person in a vindictive manner against another person. Nor are all these Sexual Assaults restricted to that being of men against women. They could be just the opposite; women against men, or perhaps same sex.

Absolutely BRILLIANT post on your part.

Yeah, gently caress you guys, maybe the real problem is women against men, huh? HUH?! You want to string the CAF up over something as minor as a poor choice of words? Wow, really? How anti-Canada of you. Also, hey guys, don't point out flaws in the CAF or else you're demonizing it. Also the CBC is just going on the attack. And based on another claim, MacLeans just has an agenda against the CAF. Clearly there's no problem and the women are just asking for it wearing their combats like such, while the journalists are just unpatriotic.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 5, 2015

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Back in MY day we went to Cyprus and got tans and raped whoever. You new people are so spoiled!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sad to say the topic came up in passing the other day and a couple people who are genuinely smart didn't get how what the CDS said was wrong or inappropes. I did a bad job of explaining why, partly because I wasn't entirely sure they weren't joking, now I' m probably that over sensitive PC pussy that's ruining america or whatever. Welp! :downs:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Trying to get a hold of MSE Safety to get a copy of some paperwork so I can upgrade my civillian license and I've honestly rotated between like 6 different extensions of people and no one picks up the loving phone. The only people I can get a hold of is Base Transport and they can't do anything outside of tell me they can't do anything and to call MSE Safety.

Jesus loving Christ am I happy not to work for an organisation so full of lazy incompetent cunts anymore. Government bureaucrats suck but green ones are even worse.

Edit: Here's my story: Ontario recently implemented a program so that veterans and serving members can use their millitary qualifications to upgrade their civillians license. Sounds great right?

Too bad there's no information concerning what you need to bring into the ministry's office to take advantage if that. No worries! Call the ministry right? Oh wait they don't know anything and will transfer you to 3 different people before you get an answer. Then you'll know you need two items of paperwork that they can't tell you how to get a hold of.

So you call VA Canada. They should be able to help right? Well... Call a few times, leave a few messages and after a day or so you'll speak to a human who will tell you that you need to contact your old unit for those files. No worries you're on your way to getting through all the red tape! There's a light at the end of the tunnel! Right?

Now you call your old unit, they tell you you need to speak to base transport. You call base transport, they tell you you need to speak to MSE Safety. You call MSE Safety, MSE Safety tells you tells you they don't have your records and that you need to call "Ottawa".

Now at this point you have 3 options: you can call all 800,000 people in Ottawa, you can smash your head on the deck until you slip into the deep calm of unconciousness or you can dig deeper.

I decided to call the minister of transportation's office. I had two goals in mind, number one being to figure out what in the everliving gently caress I had to do and number two being to get them to post something on their website so that other people wouldn't have to jump through all of these hoops. Instead I wound up leaving a voicemail that has not as of now been returned.

So that was a dead end, I called the VA again and asked them how to get military records and was directed to call Archives Canada. Archives Canada told me that military records aren't sent to them until 5 years after retirement. From there I was directed to the "Access to information and Privacy Coordinator", where of course no one picked up the phone so I wound up leaving a message.

I also tried to get in touch with Helmets to Hardhats about this program as they seemed to have lobbied for it, but as is tradition, no one picked up the phone.

I'm honestly staggered by the laziness and incompetence of these government agencies I've had to deal with. This shouldn't be this hard. The support ex-soldiers get is loving atrocious.

Samu fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 7, 2015

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That "Helmets to Hardhats" should also include considerations so Recce Techs can become surveyors, Engineers/Mat Techs tradesmen, etc. but nah, just for driving trucks! :canada:

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
If I never have to deal with a Class B Reservist ever again I could die a happy man.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

That "Helmets to Hardhats" should also include considerations so Recce Techs can become surveyors, Engineers/Mat Techs tradesmen, etc. but nah, just for driving trucks! :canada:

Well hey, now Infanteers can become firefighters :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I dunno, something tells me 8 hrs training and then sitting around in smoke waiting for someone to decide where/when/if to use you probably won't qualify you for much. :laugh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Having engineers/veh techs/mat techs get a boost on getting into the trades would mean negotiating with the Colleges of Trades

God help you.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The thing about being a surveyor/linesman/engineer in the military is that you have to deal with bullshit and conditions no one would be expected to put up with civie side.

Why someone who spent weeks in the bush in Shilo surveying for the guns/a road/a bridge can't get a leg up on the guys who complain about being out there for 5 days in a row for 4x the money, without being "tactical" and dealing with senior enlisted is a mystery to me.

The only difference I can see is that people would leave the Sigs to work for Bell instead of their brother's roofing company.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Melian Dialogue posted:

I love how in the CAF, its really beat into you to "stay in your lane", but when something like a statistical survey comes out every idiot who's never even taken a Stats 101 course thinks they have the common sense enough to criticize statistical surveying and sampling methods.

This is a older post but I want to point out that the report made no attempt to provide a statistic survey of the CF as a whole. Voluntary Sampling has an inherent self selection bias, and this is at least partially acknowledged in the report, when it talks about how some people were volun-told to attend the focus groups and reasoned that was a good thing and "it added a layer of objectivity to the process, ensuring that a number of those who participated did not have a vested interest in the subject matter of the Review".

Doesn't change the validity of the report, as it never attempted to use any of that data to say X number of CF members are rapists or Y number have been assaulted, and simply uses their experiences as the framework to base the 10 recommendations on. Its not a perfect report and shouldn't be automatically accepted as gospel, but it I think it highlights some fundamental issues with our organization and I trust Gen Whitecross to be able to translate those recommendations into a working model going forward.

We'll have to see how the next CDS handles it as well - probably with a lot more care.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Frosted Flake posted:

The thing about being a surveyor/linesman/engineer in the military is that you have to deal with bullshit and conditions no one would be expected to put up with civie side.

Why someone who spent weeks in the bush in Shilo surveying for the guns/a road/a bridge can't get a leg up on the guys who complain about being out there for 5 days in a row for 4x the money, without being "tactical" and dealing with senior enlisted is a mystery to me.

The only difference I can see is that people would leave the Sigs to work for Bell instead of their brother's roofing company.

Tell me about it. Running heavy equipment there's so many guys who bitch about the dumbest poo poo, like having to work after dark or long shifts. Some guys refuse to even do basic maintenance like grease nipples and shovel track. Motherfucker you're getting time and a half for overtime and you're paid to do driver maintenance.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Samu posted:

Trying to get a hold of MSE Safety to get a copy of some paperwork so I can upgrade my civillian license and I've honestly rotated between like 6 different extensions of people and no one picks up the loving phone. The only people I can get a hold of is Base Transport and they can't do anything outside of tell me they can't do anything and to call MSE Safety.

You're right in saying 1sv TN is a clusterfuck most of the time but as of right now, beside the TCATs people are either on leaves, getting ready to be posted out or deployed in PA.

It's really easy to get your DND abstract from FMS. Wait until you're TN rep at your unit show up or just go to building 187 upstairs and somebody will be able answer you. If you want names I can hook you up through PMs.

Edit: I should of read the whole thing, thought you were still in Edmonton.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

So... uhh, anyone looking to take over one, good, slightly used Infantry Battalion? There may be one on the market soon-ish. :vince:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Once I saw the 1 new post thingy I immediately knew what the subject would be, and looked forward to making a joke about the dude's name.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

There is no problem with sexual assault in the Canadian Armed Forces.

No Sir.

Nope.

nuh-uh

LALALLA SUPPORT ARE TRUUPS

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

This is going to cause soooo many drunken fights between 1st Battalion and the sappers next door.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
ugh

my facebook is already filled with "BUT HE WAS A HERO" posts, some of which have been accompanied by the classic "UNPROVEN ALLEGATIONS" insinuations already built in

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Ugh is right. All I can say for the leadership is good luck. This is kind of like the whole mental health issue, where we have a whole culture that thinks if you're injured with a physical, non mental injury, you're thought of as a pussy and malingerer, so goodluck with mental health. Its the same with sexual harassment: we have an entire culture of regular harassment. The CF dealing with the nuances of sexual harassment? Hah, good luck.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I am so tired of this poo poo. I want the Army to figure out how to reform and make the required changes before we get another punitive 50% budget cut a la Somalia.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Frosted Flake posted:

I am so tired of this poo poo. I want the Army to figure out how to reform and make the required changes before we get another punitive 50% budget cut a la Somalia.

Read Army.ca, and realize that the posters and Mods there are likely NCO leadership in the CAF. Now, think about how likely any sort of reform is going to happen with these dinosaurs around.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It's unfortunate that there's such difficulty in retaining the Sr NCOs that really can/should be helping improve the situation, while those fossils, as you say, are more than happy to coast on into a pension.

Either way, kind of glad I'm not at the 1st right now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I think Charge Parades need to come back in a big way, for SNCOs especially.

Make the message clear that this poo poo will not be tolerated, period.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Bring back decimation.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Every time I hear a horror story about the Forces these days I can't help but think back to Generation Kill.

"We're like a pitbull. We're ignored, we're beaten...then every once and a while we're let off the leash to bite someone"

Except the Forces have no teeth anymore and hump little kid's legs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Let's not be too quick to judge Army.ca, there's a lot of quality thinking going on there.

For instance did you know that if only those cowardly Liberals (who hate the military) had let us go into Vietnam and Iraq, both wars could have been won? The Canadian Infantryman is the best in the world, and the Americans needed our help and leadership...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

And oh yeah

That forum needs to be shut down, and the servers salted.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I used to have a social conservative bent then I realized I was just an ignorant rear end in a top hat.

Leaving home at 18 to join the military was the first step in me being cured, ironically. The next was realizing i worked with a bunch of other bigger ignorant assholes and did not want to end up like them. Upbringing can be a bitch to overcome so most people learn to live with the cognitive dissonance I guess :heritage:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 30, 2015

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
Any bin rats here? I have kind of a horribly stupid question.

I'm currently releasing after 6 years and going through my kit that I have to hand back to stores, but on the list they gave me (Individual account holdings or something) there is a whole ton of stuff missing on it i.e. Bug nets, socks, undershirts, ninja hood(helmet liner?)

some if it I know is obvious nobody wants my cum crusted socks back.. but they also omitted the small pack...
the field pack and assembly are there I still had the '82 pattern never bothered to get fitted for the new one because I never showed up anymore (I'm just a P Res dirtbag baby)

I cant even find the NSN on the list.

there is also stuff on there that I will not even bring and figure out the consequences from there. My beret for example also my ranger blanket.

Now my question(s)...

1. Is it now mine along with the beekeeper hat and the sweat-stained undershirts?
2. Should I bring it and leave it in my vehicle until they ask for it?
3. will they ask for it?
4. Will they just be happy getting back a wash basin almost as beat up as my ex's pussy :cthulhu: that they'll let it slide?
5. Or should I bring it and tell them it is not on the list but I'm a good person?
6. Am I asking questions into the void here?

I'm probably going with option 2

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
When I checked out I followed option 2 for everything that wasn't on the list. Some stuff I didn't want anyways so I dumped it on them. And yeah, the beret and some other small stuff didn't get returned either but I think I just signed a sheet saying I wasn't returning it or something. I can't recall - I just remember it wasn't a big deal at all.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Thanks. I figured i should probably bring every just in case it was my gently caress up not theirs. But that would be a first.

Feels like leaving an abusive relationship.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
The important thing is to turn in anything CADPAT, and the helmet.

Yes, even the ranger blanket.

I already miss that drat thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Bin rat here. Long story short, if you're dealing with a civilian on the counter, you can count on them asking for every loving thing back minus what's listed as retention items on the SAM (supply admin manual). I can get you the reference if you want, but it's basically skin on skin.

They want all CADPAT. Bring your boots, you can keep them but they'll want to punch a hole in the tongue first. If you deal with a military member, just say you lost it. If they try to make you do an MLR, just talk to their supervisor. In my clothing stores we're reasonable as gently caress but some places are hell. If you need any specific questions or want help with the retarded process that is out clearance of clothing, shoot me a PM.