Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

WickedHate posted:

I don't know anything about RAED, but while it's egotistical to insist on doing stuff best left to professionals, it's also a dick move to do so much work with a guy you hate and trash him afterwards. I get a paycheck is a paycheck, but that's lovely, man.

If I had to do a job with a person that basically sabotaged my work in the name of their "vision" I'd be pretty pissed, too. Besides, he clearly wanted to make it clear that he wasn't responsible for the problems in the videos and not looking for excuses to poo poo on RAED. That was a byproduct of the explanation. Which was done in private.

Why do you think this was a dick move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

[WickedHate quote]

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, I remember finding it irritating at the time, but it's pretty much a textbook example of acting like children should be heterosexual long before they actually have any sexual attraction to anything (you know, like when parents act like a mixed-gender friendship between two small children is a "girlfriend/boyfriend" thing). Which is kind of funny, because if you go by the stereotypes, little boys who like to play mostly with girls, and little girls who like to play mostly with boys...usually end up being LGBT.
Well either that or it was just trying to force children to get along despite gender differences, at an age where children are most likely to have homosocial friendships and frequently express distaste in playing with/hanging around with children of the opposite sex.

Gee, I wonder which of these is more likely?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Infamous Sphere posted:

I loved that episode :) the movie just sounds so weirdly bad. I mean usually crap movies introduce conflict and then leave it unresolved because they forget about it (like how in Ben and Arthur, the lawyer being murdered is never mentioned again - or the breast cancer in The Room), but in Pluto Nash it's like they introduced alleged conflict and then immediately resolved it?

Yeah, if the movie just decided to do *anything* not ho-hum it'd be better than it is, even as a cult classic. It's Beverly Hills Cop 3 syndrome, except BHC3 at least had some things to politely chuckle at.

lornekates posted:

Based on the preview, it looks like it takes place in continuity of the Anniversary movies.

Caught the preview at ConBravo. It certainly looks good enough, cinematography and editing wise. I'm not 100% up on my Linkara in jokes and characters, but based on the audience reactions (and just logical deduction), it's satisfying to the target audience.

I think anyone who kicked in to fund it will get exactly what they were expecting, and will be satisfied, plus it may have some wider audience appeal.

Yeah, it follows the anniversary continuity, particularly To Boldly Flee. It's got a handful of us other reviewers in it so it is similar in that respect, although it's definitely a movie about Lewis, which it should be. I really liked acting in it versus To Boldly Flee because the dialogue felt more like a conversation between two people and not an awkward setup for a punchline. Plus I did not at any point have to make a "sabretooth" joke.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TheMaestroso posted:

If I had to do a job with a person that basically sabotaged my work in the name of their "vision" I'd be pretty pissed, too. Besides, he clearly wanted to make it clear that he wasn't responsible for the problems in the videos and not looking for excuses to poo poo on RAED. That was a byproduct of the explanation. Which was done in private.

It's one thing if it's a single example, or if the person in question is a generally weird and mysterious beyond being bad at their craft like Tommy Wiseau, but it just feels lovely to do a movie and five music videos with someone you can't stand, then message every amusing reviewer saying "Yeah I tried my best but even my amazing skills couldn't keep them from sucking".

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

WickedHate posted:

It's one thing if it's a single example, or if the person in question is a generally weird and mysterious beyond being bad at their craft like Tommy Wiseau, but it just feels lovely to do a movie and five music videos with someone you can't stand, then message every amusing reviewer saying "Yeah I tried my best but even my amazing skills couldn't keep them from sucking".

Except thats not what he said at all.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm sure he just didn't have much to work with given the script, but who knows how much of it was rewritten as they went along.
I'm going to guess that when they hired Ron Underwood, Eddie Murphy was in place, they had a window of time they could shoot to fit Murphy's schedule, had sets and everything ready to be built, but when their top 10 choices for directors were all busy, they went with number 11 (kind of like what happened with "Jonah Hex"), and gave absolutely no fucks about turning in a decent script; just getting something, ANYTHING on the screen.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Robert Denby posted:

I'm going to guess that when they hired Ron Underwood, Eddie Murphy was in place, they had a window of time they could shoot to fit Murphy's schedule, had sets and everything ready to be built, but when their top 10 choices for directors were all busy, they went with number 11 (kind of like what happened with "Jonah Hex"), and gave absolutely no fucks about turning in a decent script; just getting something, ANYTHING on the screen.

Seems like it. I know there were things refilmed after they brought in the new editor, so who knows how bad it was originally.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the AT4W movie is a crossover, someone said? Is it even possible for them to make something original, and not tied into endless cameos and references? Oh wait, am I talking about doug or lewis?

Also, Sage has a new review out, of an anime called Wild Cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBdVKbVYxis

Since there is pretty much nothing substantial to talk about for the OVA, Sage instead takes some time to talk about how strange it is that some anime make more sense in English than in Japanese, due to accents and characters speaking multiple languages. He also talks about racist caricatures, and the career of one of the strangest bad voice actresses who ever worked, Apollo Smile.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 28, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WickedHate posted:

How is venting about having a micromanaging boss bad? He wasn't working "with" RAED, he was working "for" RAED. This is the same graphic designers sharing stories about a company expecting to pay them 20 bucks for a full website revamp, or a cashier complaining about a really irritating customer. If someone hires you to do something and then refuses to let you actually do it, that's them being a terrible customer and worthy of ridicule.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

WickedHate posted:

In addition to the other wrong things going on in this post, there's this gem. How did one person turn into "every amusing reviewer"?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TheMaestroso posted:

In addition to the other wrong things going on in this post, there's this gem. How did one person turn into "every amusing reviewer"?

It's hyperbole, but they were pretty quick to come forward with their harrowing tale for no real reason. I doubt there was anything extra in this review over others that made them just need to send a message about it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, I am now scientifically certain, as of my watching of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoSJTP4o7VM, that Alison is too good to be an actress on screen.

She needs to voice act cats.

All the cats.
In every movie.
Ever.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

StealthArcher posted:

So, I am now scientifically certain, as of my watching of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoSJTP4o7VM, that Alison is too good to be an actress on screen.

All the cats.
In every movie.
Ever.

I watched 20 seconds of that and no I hate your for posting it.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 28, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

All the cats.
In every movie.
Ever.

So what your saying is I have a face for radio...?

Seriously though I loved being part of that. The pilot turned out fantastic.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

So what your saying is I have a face for radio...?

Seriously though I loved being part of that. The pilot turned out fantastic.

Just for Cats. You're fine at other stuff yes, but Ash and Glenys are wonderful.

E: Wow, no, not saying that :p

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Gotta get Ash to stop by Lloyd, she has the voice of an angel.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
New Cheapskate Live! in which Lemon from the F Plus Podcast joins me to watch “Apaches,” a weird British farm safety film from the 70s.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Say Lupa, do you have a system for people to recommend you movies for Movie Nights?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

echopapa posted:

New Cheapskate Live! in which Lemon from the F Plus Podcast joins me to watch “Apaches,” a weird British farm safety film from the 70s.

That...wasn't very good. I remember watching safety videos as a child and they'd usually be a cartoon or something, and stop someone just as they were about to do something dangerous to say "No! don't stick a fork in the toaster!" or whatever. This video simultaneously was too gruesome for small children, but at the same time not obvious enough, because it doesn't tell them what they're seeing or what to avoid. With children you really have to be pretty obvious about why something is bad and not to do it or how to do it safely - so I'm very confused as to why someone thought this video was a good idea...?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

and the career of one of the strangest bad voice actresses who ever worked, Apollo Smile.
Funny thing about Apollo Smile, when they showed her hosting that show, I noticed that she was totally ripping off the chick from Deee-Lite. Right down to the pigtails and spandex and even using the same catchphrases. Then it came up that she played Ulala in Space Channel 5, which actually got sued by that chick from Deee-Lite for ripping off her image, and it made perfect sense.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
British PSAs would much rather scare the poo poo out of kids (or anyone really) than educate them. I remember even in college going to a sort of "teach them about driving safely" sort of thing, and even in the teachers talked afterwards about how it was mostly horror stories to try and make us cry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea english safety stuff and all almost always seems to focus on "NO gently caress OFF YOU WILL DIE LOOK AT THIS HORRIFIC INJURY ANOTHER IDIOT LIKE YOU GOT" instead of explaining why. I really have no data to speak to if this is somehow more effective or whatever.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the AT4W movie is a crossover, someone said? Is it even possible for them to make something original, and not tied into endless cameos and references? Oh wait, am I talking about doug or lewis?

Also, Sage has a new review out, of an anime called Wild Cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBdVKbVYxis

Since there is pretty much nothing substantial to talk about for the OVA, Sage instead takes some time to talk about how strange it is that some anime make more sense in English than in Japanese, due to accents and characters speaking multiple languages. He also talks about racist caricatures, and the career of one of the strangest bad voice actresses who ever worked, Apollo Smile.

As soon as I read this I knew that he was going to talk about Black Lagoon, I love that show so much but it doesn't make any sense in Japanese. I'm not kidding when I say that it feels like it was originally written for an English cast but then translated to Japanese.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Honestly, that is the most pathetic thing I ever read in all of Sonichu.

Also, as an aside, does Chris-Chan have issues understanding the concept of death and mourning? The whole thing with Ms. Jackson, and then the poo poo that happens in CWC Defense really makes me wonder if Chris-Chan understands grieving.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

Honestly, that is the most pathetic thing I ever read in all of Sonichu.

Also, as an aside, does Chris-Chan have issues understanding the concept of death and mourning? The whole thing with Ms. Jackson, and then the poo poo that happens in CWC Defense really makes me wonder if Chris-Chan understands grieving.

Whenever I read about this guy now I am reminded of Kenny Noid and Domino's Pizza's brush with serious liability:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noid#Decline_of_the_Noid

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

watho posted:

As soon as I read this I knew that he was going to talk about Black Lagoon, I love that show so much but it doesn't make any sense in Japanese. I'm not kidding when I say that it feels like it was originally written for an English cast but then translated to Japanese.

To be fair, it doesn't make any sense in English whenever they decide to actually speak "English". First time I watched the episode where everyone is talking Engrish I had to go find some subs to put into the video, because the translation team was certain there was no need for subtitles since they were speaking English.

Imagine long periods where the entire dialogue is like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 29, 2015

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

He also talks about racist caricatures, and the career of one of the strangest bad voice actresses who ever worked, Apollo Smile.

If I had to determine with one question if someone had grown up with similar pop culture experiences to mine, I think "Have you ever heard of Apollo Smile?" would probably be what I use. That was a very weird, VERY short time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

emeriin posted:

British PSAs would much rather scare the poo poo out of kids (or anyone really) than educate them. I remember even in college going to a sort of "teach them about driving safely" sort of thing, and even in the teachers talked afterwards about how it was mostly horror stories to try and make us cry.

I remember seeing one from the 1980s (presented by Peter Purves of Blue Peter fame) warning children about the dangers of playing near railway lines. The protagonist is an aspiring football and at the end has to have both feet amputated because of injuries sustained when he's hit by a train, and also ends up looking like a cross between Davros and the Milky Bar Kid.

The best one I can recall seeing (on one of those "best advertisements of all time" things) was The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water from 1973, where Donald Pleasence plays this hooded personification of Death-by-Drowning stalking these kids who get into difficulties and die ("The pool is deep. The boy is showing off... The bank is slippery.... It was great because Donald Pleasance, obviously, had one of those brilliant and seemingly naturally menacing voices.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Gyges posted:

To be fair, it doesn't make any sense in English whenever they decide to actually speak "English". First time I watched the episode where everyone is talking Engrish I had to go find some subs to put into the video, because the translation team was certain there was no need for subtitles since they were speaking English.

Imagine long periods where the entire dialogue is like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws

That is the Japanese version though...

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember seeing one from the 1980s (presented by Peter Purves of Blue Peter fame) warning children about the dangers of playing near railway lines. The protagonist is an aspiring football and at the end has to have both feet amputated because of injuries sustained when he's hit by a train, and also ends up looking like a cross between Davros and the Milky Bar Kid.

The best one I can recall seeing (on one of those "best advertisements of all time" things) was The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water from 1973, where Donald Pleasence plays this hooded personification of Death-by-Drowning stalking these kids who get into difficulties and die ("The pool is deep. The boy is showing off... The bank is slippery.... It was great because Donald Pleasance, obviously, had one of those brilliant and seemingly naturally menacing voices.

Speaking of British PSAs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM359MvejK8 a segment on them by a Canadian internet column called This Exists

Been watching his stuff recently - his show was orphaned by the online host for his segments, and now he's going it alone. Canadian dude with a pop-culture commentary, show, and the segments have been pretty interesting so far.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

emeriin posted:

So that anti-piracy ad from The I.T. Crowd wasn't just over-the-top satire?

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Hey, it didn't six weeks to do another Animorphs video this time. It's #46 The Deception, where we meet the crappiest Visser and a bunch of sailors sit around nonchalant while World War III goes on around them.

Elsewhere, GoingRampant looked at a book called Chicken Nuggets: The Raptor Apocalypse, a zombie apocalypse tale, only instead of zombies, they're mutated chickens made to look like Jurassic Park Velociraptors. This book is somehow not a comedy.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Keromaru5 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Keromaru5 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUCyvw4w_yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQFnSnhg7U

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

...Why Klingons?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
More Tequila and Bonetti! :woop:

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/dvd-r-hell/dvd-r-hell-tequila-and-bonetti-reel-life

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
New Zealand do some of best PSAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8KAaf45g5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWirGxV7Q8

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Arcsquad12 posted:

...Why Klingons?
The Klingon Empire was an early supporter of the Berne Convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea english safety stuff and all almost always seems to focus on "NO gently caress OFF YOU WILL DIE LOOK AT THIS HORRIFIC INJURY ANOTHER IDIOT LIKE YOU GOT" instead of explaining why. I really have no data to speak to if this is somehow more effective or whatever.

The really scary stuff makes sense for adults or jaded teenagers, but it's not much good for young children because they probably can't properly put two and two together, and it doesn't offer them much of a solution. I mean what's the solution to everyone dying in Apaches? Don't live on a farm? Well they don't have much choice in that. Don't play? Kids are gonna play. There's nothing that teaches them how to play safely, or avoid dangerous equipment properly or take precautions or anything. It's just rubbish at *being* a PSA.

Ok New Zealand wins the PSA game. All we've got is this. Although that was a super effective PSA.
I am far too young to have seen this when it was airing, and watching it years later I can't help laughing when all the people get knocked over and fly into the air ridiculously quickly and rigidly.

• Locked thread