Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Unfortunately the reason we have the money is because our state's public broadcasting company made a deal with our university to get most of our daylight analogue hours while we're stuck in the HD radio ghetto. As part of the deal we get $150,000, and I guess we got $50,000 this year and the rest next year? I'm not sure of the complete details, but it's definitely the silver lining of this lovely deal our university made.

Definitely not a typical college station though, we have a 100,000 watt signal in a large metro area. You'd probably have a good chance guessing the station based on that detail alone.

Radio K? if so ^5

I've been thinking about getting myself an audio interface so I can mess around with a looper and effects on my record collection. Is there something that has a couple phono inputs and some knobs I can assign to stuff in Live that won't cost me a month's paychecks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Getting a pair of QSC K12's too.

I just bought a pair of these in January. Heads up: they are spectacular.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Quick RekordBox 3 question. I've got a gig tonight and I'd like to place Memory Locations at eight- or sixteen-bar intervals in the intros of my tracks in case I miss a cue. The button to add Memory Locations seems not to work. What am I missing?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Unfortunately the reason we have the money is because our state's public broadcasting company made a deal with our university to get most of our daylight analogue hours while we're stuck in the HD radio ghetto. As part of the deal we get $150,000, and I guess we got $50,000 this year and the rest next year? I'm not sure of the complete details, but it's definitely the silver lining of this lovely deal our university made.

Definitely not a typical college station though, we have a 100,000 watt signal in a large metro area. You'd probably have a good chance guessing the station based on that detail alone.

God drat, that's way better than what my school is giving their station and they just won awards for best online college radio or something like that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It felt really good to get behind the decks for the first time in a while last night for the CCDNB.net launch party. I was opening from 10-10:45 so I was really just playing for the other producers/DJs in the room but a couple of them said they enjoyed my set which was extremely flattering.

Also the house's CDJ900s had extremely sticky cue buttons so I ran home to grab my 2000s with minutes to spare. The perks of living five minutes from the venue.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

SeXReX posted:

Radio K? if so ^5

Nah, WRAS-Atlanta.

I like Radio K's website, I wish our university would get off their rear end and fix ours.

keevo posted:

God drat, that's way better than what my school is giving their station and they just won awards for best online college radio or something like that.

Well, technically it's Georgia Public Broadcasting and is really a pittance compared to what that airtime is worth. I'd rather have our full 24 hours of analog signal but I guess I'll take the silver linings wherever I can find them.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Just sharing this video that made me go :monocle: Ableton's 4D Sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvM-SxrMv6s

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Alfajor posted:

Just sharing this video that made me go :monocle: Ableton's 4D Sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvM-SxrMv6s

Hot drat I hope I get to experience this one day.

I bet it'd sound cool as gently caress with a typical DJ set without Ableton.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011

Alfajor posted:

All that gear and gadgets and yet the outcome was still pretty boring to hear. Love the 4D sound placement concept though, that's cool for sure.

But this guy. Just holy poo poo. Your gear is only as good as you are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hR7_i_d-9A

Saucy Slit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 16, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Saucy Slit posted:

All that gear and gadgets and yet the outcome was still pretty boring to hear. Love the 4D sound placement concept though, that's cool for sure.

In that vein, the classic Mr. Tape set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZQbkZifQ8

As far as the outcome on the 4D set, I always figure with that kind of music you need to be there and feel it before you can judge it well. Plus we're probably only getting a few minutes worth of what was probably a 60-90 min set. I'm thinking of Godspeed! You Black Emperor with how things sound and there's a big difference live with a crowd vs headphones on that end.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Saucy Slit posted:

How I learned to DJ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSNmDRfNZAM

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011

aeglus posted:

In that vein, the classic Mr. Tape set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZQbkZifQ8

As far as the outcome on the 4D set, I always figure with that kind of music you need to be there and feel it before you can judge it well. Plus we're probably only getting a few minutes worth of what was probably a 60-90 min set. I'm thinking of Godspeed! You Black Emperor with how things sound and there's a big difference live with a crowd vs headphones on that end.

Yes, yes, yes! I've seen this before, and wondered if this is where Cut Man Doo got the idea from.

Hehehe, seent this as well and have been scoping for one so I can get down in the same fashion.

Amazing battle b/t Xmen and ISP. If anything watch it for the ISP routine because they just spank the Xmen. It's kinda hard to get through the X routine, very sloppy. You can see how deflated they are after ISP tears it up on a whole new level. And as a Bay Area crew they flipped the lids off this NY crowd completely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsV3aR6rhkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4_1wn1Qhjc Bluetooth fader.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmWhXeglLTc This guy has fabricated a QFO like box, that actually looks and seems better. Plus that red scheme, so hot.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Saucy Slit posted:

Amazing battle b/t Xmen and ISP. If anything watch it for the ISP routine because they just spank the Xmen. It's kinda hard to get through the X routine, very sloppy. You can see how deflated they are after ISP tears it up on a whole new level. And as a Bay Area crew they flipped the lids off this NY crowd completely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsV3aR6rhkc

The routine the X-Men do around 2 minutes is a classic and I love how Mixmaster Mike always looks like he's having a blast. They're not really listenable as music per se but the ISP's Shiggar Fraggar Show recordings are pretty insane especially given when they were recorded. Most of them are on youtube.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

qirex posted:

The routine the X-Men do around 2 minutes is a classic and I love how Mixmaster Mike always looks like he's having a blast. They're not really listenable as music per se but the ISP's Shiggar Fraggar Show recordings are pretty insane especially given when they were recorded. Most of them are on youtube.

I used to listen to the Shiggar Fragger CD on repeat for days, and I basically wore out my VHS tapes of ISP. That was how I learned to DJ really, just figuring out how they did those routines and trying to mimic what I heard on those recordings

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
God now I'm going through some classic DMC routines, can't believe this one did NOT win the championships!!

DJ Aladdin in 1989 (still not using battle-style layout!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqnoAyMTtZM

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do both Traktor and RekordBox write the key signature to the same metadata field? I've been goofing around in Traktor tonight and finding that sorting by key forces a track to change keys on loading, causing some confusion. I recently updated Rekordbox and allowed it to write its own key analysis (folly, since I used MixedInKey with CDJs anyway), and I'm guessing it's disagreeing with Traktor's analysis and overwriting the key tag.

I'm running a consistency check in Traktor and unchecking the 'write key to ID3' box in RekordBox - this should solve the problem, right? But this also gets me thinking - which software is more accurate at determining key signature?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

The key field is wonky. Traktor uses a different notation than Camelot, which is what Mixed In Key uses

Sometimes Traktor clobbers my existing key tags, which is annoying

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
So today I landed a DJ's collection of about 800 disco and house records for about $300. Now I have some questions.

1. What's a decent turntable setup that isn't necessarily high end for me to shoot for so I can get started practicing with this stuff at home? I've got the radio station turntables I can play stuff on so it's not an immediate priority, but I would like a target for a decent home setup that I can start saving for.

2. What are some particulars about storage I should be aware of? I know they should be kept in a dry, cool area and should be stored upright. Right now they're almost entirely in boxes so they already fit that criteria.

2a. How many of those Ikea shelves should I expect to get for these? Or should I go for another solution?

3. What are some good ways to transport a selection of these to a gig or my radio show?

I think that's it, very excited about this purchase in any case. First thing is to start going through it and start eliminating records. It's a good collection but I'm sure there are records I won't really like or are too damaged to play(though everything I've looked at so far is in good condition).

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Dubstep Jesus posted:

2a. How many of those Ikea shelves should I expect to get for these? Or should I go for another solution?

I was going to say you're late to the party on this because I read they were going to be discontinued, but as it turns out they just slightly adjusted it and rereleased them. http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312

quote:

What are some good ways to transport a selection of these to a gig or my radio show?

A crate.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 16, 2015

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone
Xone 23 on eBay for $240
Audio technica lp-120 x2
Super OEM table if you want a technics clone. Stanton ST150 is nice.

Get a crate, record bag, or odyssey record road case.

Congrats on the buy, 800 is a lot of records. You'll probably need 2-3 of the 2x4 Kallax shelves. I'm not sure how many of the bigger ones. I'm sure there are some rare ones in your new collection, think about cataloging it all on discogs if you want to put in the time.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Champ Baldoon posted:

Xone 23 on eBay for $240
Audio technica lp-120 x2
Super OEM table if you want a technics clone. Stanton ST150 is nice.

Get a crate, record bag, or odyssey record road case.

Congrats on the buy, 800 is a lot of records. You'll probably need 2-3 of the 2x4 Kallax shelves. I'm not sure how many of the bigger ones. I'm sure there are some rare ones in your new collection, think about cataloging it all on discogs if you want to put in the time.

Thanks for the tip, that setup is definitely something I could afford reasonably soon.

I started cataloging it on discogs this morning. Only did 15 or so since I had to go to work but it's not like I'm gonna do it all in one sitting, may as well do it when I have the time, even if it's just a few.

I plan on starting a blog when I actually start going through and listening to each record one-by-one. I'll post it here when I start it for anyone that's interested.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'd follow that to some degree (800 is a huge amount). How old are the records generally?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
The box I was pulling stuff from too catalog was from the late 80s and early 90s(based on like, 15 records). I think that box is primarily house, though. When I looked through the collection before purchasing there was stuff from the 70s as well. I haven't had a chance to really dig through it since I haven't been home and awake for more than a bit but it seemed like a fairly diverse collection, both musically and age-wise.

e: and yeah the blog is just gonna be me posting brief thoughts on what I listen to, pictures of the record, and a link to listen to the song when I can find one.

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 17, 2015

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I just checked my Kallax and counted 113 records in one bin; they were packed just a little too tight to browse so I think 100 would be a perfect number. A 2x4 Kallax would fit those nicely. Congrats on the records!

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

Dubstep Jesus posted:

The box I was pulling stuff from too catalog was from the late 80s and early 90s(based on like, 15 records). I think that box is primarily house, though. When I looked through the collection before purchasing there was stuff from the 70s as well. I haven't had a chance to really dig through it since I haven't been home and awake for more than a bit but it seemed like a fairly diverse collection, both musically and age-wise.

e: and yeah the blog is just gonna be me posting brief thoughts on what I listen to, pictures of the record, and a link to listen to the song when I can find one.

Sounds cool. I'd be interested to hear some of them. You should rip any of the good ones that aren't on YouTube and put them up. A UCA222 is like $20-30 so just include that in the cost, plus an easy way to record an mixing you do.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Champ Baldoon posted:

Sounds cool. I'd be interested to hear some of them. You should rip any of the good ones that aren't on YouTube and put them up. A UCA222 is like $20-30 so just include that in the cost, plus an easy way to record an mixing you do.

Definitely gonna be ripping the ones I can't find using :files:

One of the first ones I listened to is pretty goofy, I like the bass line though.

Voice Farm - Free Love

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Has anyone had any problems with beatport's multiple carts?

I just went to check out my Main Cart (total was $202.08, all mp3), but instead it checked out my "default" (cart 3) which was all set to AIFF and was over $240 - music I hadnt yet sorted through to make sure I wanted it. The subtotal showed $202.08. Hit purchase, wrong cart (3) shows up in my download queue and receipt.

I sent them an email. Hoping they can resolve this. Really frustrating.

e: order was voided. It was indeed a bug, so they are aware of it. Unfortunately they cant recover my old cart 3 so I'll have to go through and add the music back (~90 tracks) from my order receipt. 1st world problems for sure, but somewhat annoying.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 23, 2015

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011

Dubstep Jesus posted:

You lucky twat. I hope you have "Gusto-Disco's Revenge" somewhere in there. I'd kill for that vinyl.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
that's like a five dollar record. You could just, you know, buy it

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Anyone have much experience mixing with an isolator or rotary mixers? The new Rane looks beautiful and from what I've read and heard it seems like it would suit my style really well. I know Mr Saturday Night swears by them for their parties as well as some older DJs.
It wouldn't be terribly practical for me since no venue or person (as far as I know) has one in this city but I'm really intrigued. The Xone DB2 I have has an isolator mode but it really just increases the DB range of the EQs.
I'm just curious what DJs have to say about them.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Looks like rotary mixers don't have a crossfader? I suppose if you are mixing longish techno/house/edm tracks or not concerned about beat-matching/mixing and just playing songs they are a good option, but I do a lot of blends and switch up records fairly quickly so lack of a crossfader is a deal killer for me.

What's the big deal about an isolator on each track? Isn't this exactly the same as the cue function? Almost every mixer already has that.

Anyway these things sure do look cool but just wouldn't work for me.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I almost never use the crossfader unless I'm attempting to scratch (poorly). Upfaders all the way even when I'm doing quick mixes. Rotary is similar to mixing with the upfaders. If you're not down with upfader mixing, I imagine you'll have a bad time with a rotary mixer.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

bad day posted:

Looks like rotary mixers don't have a crossfader? I suppose if you are mixing longish techno/house/edm tracks or not concerned about beat-matching/mixing and just playing songs they are a good option, but I do a lot of blends and switch up records fairly quickly so lack of a crossfader is a deal killer for me.

What's the big deal about an isolator on each track? Isn't this exactly the same as the cue function? Almost every mixer already has that.

Anyway these things sure do look cool but just wouldn't work for me.

I always have the cross fader turned off and prefer to use my channel faders. Most of the DJs I know are the same but we all play house and techno.

My understanding of an isolator is along with mixing tracks its like another EQ band for the master that helps you colour your bands for more effect and emphasis. So you'll have long blends and you're "riding" the different bands to bring out the mix more. Also the EQs on a rotary have a deeper db range to compliment that and are mostly analogue/a very solid build quality so that makes them appealing to a lot of people.

Only thing is lots of DJs are better off or prefer to leave the dials and filters alone and let the tracks play as they were recorded so I can see that its not for everyone but people bring them up a lot especially house DJs so I'd love to hear from somebody who has played a lot with both types of mixer.

I like a lot of head room and touch my EQs and filters a lot so this sounds right up my ally but they are very expensive.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 29, 2015

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah I just switch up tracks way too often for that sort of thing; if I'm letting a song run by itself longer than 1-2 minutes I feel like a glorified CD player. Back in the day it was sort of necessary because of the time it took to select and cue up a vinyl record (unless it's a rehearsed routine) but with digital I can do the same thing in 5-10 seconds at most.

Then again there's always been a pretty steep divide between hip-hop and house DJs in terms of what you should be doing with your time in the booth. I see these guys at Ultra playing like 3 records in 10 minutes and it seems abysmally lazy to me. I cannot believe people are actually paying them money for that sort of thing.

Anyway I use the crossfader pretty much constantly. I can scratch ok but it's not really possible with my current setup.

To each his/her own I guess. :unsmith:

I still don't quite get benefit of the "isolate" function because most of the mixers I've ever owned/used had separate EQs for both the master and each of the individual tracks. You can give yourself some headroom by leaving the volume faders at 7/10 and turning up the individual gains or master out, as volume faders don't actually lower or boost volume, they're just a gate. Having a knob that goes to 11 doesn't actually do anything. Maybe I don't understand.

bad day fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 29, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

When it comes to DJs it seems the overriding hivemind thought about gain structure is "SMASH THE RED LEDS AT ALL TIMES!!!"

I wish Pioneer would push out mixers with 'adjusted' meters that flashed up the red LEDs at 0db, everything would sound so much clearer on the floor.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I started out recording my mixes on cassette and then MiniDisc so even now I ride 0db, trying not to go over or too much under.

edit: maybe this dates me; I'm probably a good 10 years older than you guys.

bad day fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 29, 2015

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

88h88 posted:

When it comes to DJs it seems the overriding hivemind thought about gain structure is "SMASH THE RED LEDS AT ALL TIMES!!!"

I wish Pioneer would push out mixers with 'adjusted' meters that flashed up the red LEDs at 0db, everything would sound so much clearer on the floor.

I try to avoid them but its so often that the person before me is smashing the poo poo out of red and I don't want to noticeably reduce the volume when I come on. gently caress the crossfader, I mix rap/trap/jersey/edm and almost everyone I know doesn't use it and just sets the channels to thru. Only really older dudes who can scratch use the thing at the clubs I play at, but I'm not really big into scratching.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I'm surprised you guys don't use crossfaders. I always have mine in the scratch mode because it allows me to put the upfader of the track I want to bring in at my desired volume than right when I want it to come in, it's a simple flick and it's brought in without having to muck with the volume again.

On the rotary mixer thing, would love to own one they just cost so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsqjk9eqxAw

b0red fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 29, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I first started out using the crossfader. Then went primarily upfader. Now I'm back to crossfader as I've realised with curve adjust it's far more versatile and easier to control the levels of two tracks on one fader while still letting me EQ the gently caress out of them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

88h88 posted:

They already do this, though? Or at least I have read that they do a hundred times online.

I've never owned a pioneer mixer myself