Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

tofes posted:

At least pick some nice looking colors :barf:

Haha like what? Blue/red/yellow/green wasn't good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Haha like what? Blue/red/yellow/green wasn't good?

Use pastels not neons. :argh:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
all of my instincts are telling me to pick forward right now, but there's a guy on the board who I don't think will be available in 15 odd picks and I think that some of my young forwards may well drop to that spot...

Florida Panthers select D Roman Josi

Josi is a big minutes all situations defenceman, and his cap hit at 4 mill per season for 5 years is great. I know there's some troubling indicators about his defensive zone play and being reliant on Shea Weber as his partner, I think to address those issues the Panthers would be looking at using Josi more in an all around role with some other "shut down" d-men on the roster to allow the team to take full advantage of Josi's skating and point production abilities which really were on showcase this year.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Use pastels not neons. :argh:

I dunno man, change the shades to whatever you want.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

all of my instincts are telling me to pick forward right now, but there's a guy on the board who I don't think will be available in 15 odd picks and I think that some of my young forwards may well drop to that spot...

Florida Panthers select D Roman Josi

Josi is a big minutes all situations defenceman, and his cap hit at 4 mill per season for 5 years is great. I know there's some troubling indicators about his defensive zone play and being reliant on Shea Weber as his partner, I think to address those issues the Panthers would be looking at using Josi more in an all around role with some other "shut down" d-men on the roster to allow the team to take full advantage of Josi's skating and point production abilities which really were on showcase this year.

Josi is very good. I don't consider him a standalone dominant defenseman (maybe it's because he's never had a chance to play without Weber to show he can be one), but I think he's getting better and better, he's on an amazing contract, and he's a good pick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I dunno man, change the shades to whatever you want.

Done. :colbert:

Also Josi is a good pick, even if there is doubt about his talent playing away from Weber.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
There's a few defensemen I would have taken ahead of Josi, but at this point it's mostly personal preference.

I'm getting more and more accustomed to the idea that none of the guys I want for my fourth round pick will even be available in the third round.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The Minnesota Wild select from the Minnesota Wild...Ryan Suter

An absolute workhorse on the blueline, we have Suter slotted to play 60 minutes a night.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Suter is declining but he's still incredibly steady and a No. 1 D on almost any team.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mentholmoose posted:

There's a few defensemen I would have taken ahead of Josi, but at this point it's mostly personal preference.

I'm getting more and more accustomed to the idea that none of the guys I want for my fourth round pick will even be available in the third round.

Its funny seeing how being a fan of a certain conference influences picks. West is big on D, East is big on centers.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

He was the guy I was surprised hadn't gone yet. The guy is 23, locked up for a while on a great cap hit, and he is loving amazing.

T-Bone, surprised you picked Rask over Schneider.

Yup, I saw you post that and hoped not many others had seen him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

Its funny seeing how being a fan of a certain conference influences picks. West is big on D, East is big on centers.

Yep. Give me a team with two top centers and adequate D over a team with a top pairing and adequate centers any day of the week.

Also I forgot how much picking so early sucks for some things. The run on D and possibly goalies now is pretty rough.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Okay, I guess I owe a write-up on one Tyson Barrie, D, 24, $2.6m through 2015-16, then RFA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYJMbxkDF1s

Tyson Barrie rules. I've liked him since he first started playing in the AHL and I randomly stumbled across some highlights (and in fact picked him up maybe 8 rounds the first time we did this draft in 2013), and although some at the time suggested it was too early, all he's done since is get better and better. Dude reminds me of a young Dan Boyle in so many ways, and I love me a young Dan Boyle. Yeah, he doesn't have the physical presence or booming shot of a guy like Hedman or Ekblad or whatever, but he's a tremendous skater with slick hands, great vision, and a good shot. His corsi is rear end, so I knew he was safe from the Sharks, but his corsi is rear end because his team's corsi is rear end, and by and large he makes the guys he plays with better. I was worried when Matt Cooke destroyed his knee in the playoffs last year (who knows how that series ends otherwise), but he seems to have barely missed a beat.

Oh, yeah, and he led defensemen in ES p/60 despite being stapled to an AHL creature known as a Nate Guenin, whatever the hell that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Psji5roPNU

I considered Buff or Faulk, but man, Barrie is just drat fun to watch.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
whew, im glad luca sbisa is still around..

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Verviticus posted:

And he will be for 3 more years.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Verviticus posted:

I'm confused is this your pick?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

tofes posted:

I'm confused is this your pick?

I say if he doesn't change it by 7:45 EDT it should be. :getin:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its not bold so obviously its not my pick!!!

anyways, my pick is Thomas James Brodie

i considered him against another 4-5 top pairing defencemen. boychuk's contract is too expensive for a guy that's done it for one year and i'm not a fan of seven year contracts. brodie's on a now-starting 5 year one which gives better control. i also thought about faulk in his place and the comparison was a bit harder - brodie plays more minutes on a team with a better defence and every year until this one, brodie pushed his teammates in the right direction, faulk didn't

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 29, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

I say if he doesn't change it by 7:45 EDT it should be. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7iNHw8QoQ

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Verviticus posted:

its not bold so obviously its not my pick!!!

anyways, my pick is Thomas James Brodie

edit: i forget, to what extent can i discuss other players? can i talk about the 3-4 guys i considered over him before picking him?

TJ Brodie is my baby you fucker

Talk about whatever you want, I'll be over here crying

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

St. Louis takes Kevin Shattenkirk from...uh...ourselves?

Kevin M. Shattenkirk
Position: Defence

Contract: $4,250,000/yr through 2016-17

With the recent run on defence, it was pretty imperative I nab up a top pair quality blueliner. Shattenkirk, I believe, fits the bill perfectly. Shatts is an incredibly gifted offensive defencemen that gives us not only a reliable puck mover, but a fantastic power play QB. He's also coming off his best season, scoring 44 points despite missing over a quarter of a season due to injury. Hell, prior to the injury he was argueably the best offensive defenceman in the entire NHL. He also gets a plus for being a right-handed shot.

He also shares a first and middle name with me, so it's almost like I have to pick him. It's just destiny.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 29, 2015

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
gently caress.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Stop taking the defense man

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

Stop taking the defense man

Ok.

I only want Real Canadian Heroes on my team, so joining JT will be JE.

The Sens select Jordan Eberle. He's had decent possession numbers and good boxcars on a poo poo Edmonton team for a while now. He's rarely injured. And he does stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXP-wZmzc4

Plus he and Tavares were magical and I want to see them together again.

My only regret is that you fuckers have already taken three other players from that 2009 team.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Shut the gently caress up with Eberle Dammit.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXP-wZmzc4

Plus he and Tavares were magical and I want to see them together again.

I've always loved how Pierre screwed up a great call by Gord.
"Eberle scoooorrreesss! Tie game! Can. You. Believe it?!"
"I can."

Way to kill the magic.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

that was the only time in my life i gave a poo poo about the WJC

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That wjc was so great. Beats 2004 for me.

The following year Eberle was clutch in the final too, but the Canadian goaltending was just too bad to let him be a double hero.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas Stars select Ondrej Palat, so he can feed Kessel more frequently than a street meat vendor.

Young, wicket talented, signed for a couple more seasons at a nice low price, and will only get better. Unlike some of his line mates, he had a low shooting percentage last season and should put up a solid 20/50 if he just matches his career averages.

Ain't much to look at but he's going to make all your pick look like shiiiiit.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Bahston selects Pekka Rinne. I will never stop believing that elite goaltending is the most critical of qualities. You all can bumble around from Bryz to Ben and chances are, most seasons anyway, you will get league average numbers. I don't want shaky league averages, though. I want a rock. I want to have the position through which half of any game flows unquestionably solidified. If I waited till my next cycle the elite goalies will be gone and I would rather be on this side of a run than the other. Pekka might be 32, but building for more than 3-5 years into the future is like predicting the weather two weeks away: vague generalities and infinite unknown variables. With Pekka I have half a decade of top 5 goaltending. That is my known.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

MACHO MAN has two picks to start the third round.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Twin picks, you could say.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

JoelJoel posted:

Twin picks, you could say.

that's my gimmick

also, its not cool unless you manage to draft them 30 picks apart

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Honestly though, I wouldn't be able to resist Crosby on one line and the twins on the other, he'd be done picking forwards for a while.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no more top pairing defensemen 58 picks later

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

That's also true, but all you'd need is the D to get the puck up to them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tofes posted:

There will be no more top pairing defensemen 58 picks later

Maybe. I think that teams can get by still with a solid group effort if the bottom depth is there. There are some decent playoff teams that still haven't had any D picked (and any D being picked off them would probably be a stretch).

It probably means going D on the next few picks though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

There wont even be second pairing D at the rate theyre being picked. Still a healthy crop of forwards (not centers) though.

Im actually finding myself having a hard time putting someone at the top my my current list, though with ~20 picks to go that might get made easier.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I have a list of about 15 centers and 15 d I'd be fine with taking in the third round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

tofes posted:

I have a list of about 15 centers and 15 d I'd be fine with taking in the third round.

Yeah, I have a shortlist of D since I probably won't take one for a little bit, but I have a good 30 forwards I wanna be able to pick i nthe next few rounds. There are still some very good defensemen left, but I agree, the pot is gonna be thin, and I feel like having two young elite D on my team is awesome, because I'll still be able to get a good balance of scoring I believe.

• Locked thread